HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Jake Gardiner

Old
07-26-2010, 02:21 PM
Canuckee

vCash: 500
Jake Gardiner

What do Anaheim fans think of him? It seems he has dropped off the radar recently after a mediocre season in NCAA

Canuckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 03:36 PM
Unholy
waifu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckee View Post
What do Anaheim fans think of him? It seems he has dropped off the radar recently after a mediocre season in NCAA
I really don't think any Ducks fan will say that themselves. His season was not mediocre at all. Gardiner might play one more season there and will be getting a bigger role. Still high on him

Unholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2010, 04:19 PM
Vipers31
Advanced Stagnostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckee View Post
Off the radar of people who don't really follow him closely, most likely. For all we know, the Ducks are not unhappy with his development. A year ago, he was looked at as a defensively questionable one-dimensional puck-mover. Last year he focussed on the defensive aspect and turned into a quite effective shutdown defender that uses his tremendous skating very well on that part of the ice while taking less chances offensively. Next season he'll be the go-to guy on defense for his team and if he can put together his qualities on both sides of the rink, he's going to be a very good defenseman for the Ducks.

He's still on the Ducks' radar and they still have plenty of reason to be high on him.

Vipers31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2010, 10:36 AM
X-SHARKIE

Send a message via AIM to X-SHARKIE
The Badgers were swept but Jake Gardiner had a very strong weekend at both ends of the ice against North Dakota. He's really come on now.

X-SHARKIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 02:16 AM
defer*

2 goals and an assist tonight

defer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 02:34 AM
Bills09

always talk about Gardiner never about Schultz

Bills09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 02:59 AM
puckfan13

Dan Hamhuis as a comp?

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2010, 04:56 AM
defer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills09 View Post
always talk about Gardiner never about Schultz
gardiner is the more complete player.

excited about both but looking for great things from gardiner

defer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 10:56 AM
vezna*
Canada's Team

(didn't want to make a new thread so i'll just bump this up)

his first point in the NHL

Gardiner receives a puck from Schenn in their own zone, Gardiner rushes to the other end of the ice making Ference look like a scrub, and finds Grabovski in front of the net for his first assist.

we fell in love with him in the pre-season. he's actually been playing more minutes than Liles in some games. Liles hasn't been bad, but Gardiner is just magical on the ice so far. if he finds chemistry with Schenn, i honestly think it's one of the greatest ****ing moves Burke has made so far for us.

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Gardiner has a bright future in the NHL and I'm extremely happy he's made it to the show. He's been one of my favorite prospects since the Ducks drafted him and I'll continue supporting him, even though TML fans make it hard with their insufferable, "Burkie fleeced Anaheim lulz!" comments.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 12:17 PM
Eamonn*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fever Dreams View Post
Gardiner has a bright future in the NHL and I'm extremely happy he's made it to the show. He's been one of my favorite prospects since the Ducks drafted him and I'll continue supporting him, even though TML fans make it hard with their insufferable, "Burkie fleeced Anaheim lulz!" comments.
We did though .

Anyways.. Gardiner had a great preseason and made the roster. He was pretty much invisible for the first few games but the past two he has played a lot of minutes and has looked great. He also went +2 in the 6-2 loss to Boston which is pretty cool.

Eamonn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Kamal007
#leak4Jlaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Thats mostly rogeroeper though.

Kamal007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 12:29 PM
ponder

Bumping a thread from when he was a Ducks prospect is just asking to turn this thread into a retard-fest. Hopefully we can keep it on topic and talk about the player, not the trade.

I've been impressed with Gardiner so far, definitely didn't expect him to make the team before training camp started, thought he'd be spending the season in the AHL. It's not like he made the team against no competition, he pushed Aulie to the AHL, and guys like Franson and Komisarek have been healthy scratches in some of the games Gardiner has played in (though to be fair, Gardiner has sat in the press box for 2 games as well). Looked excellent in pre-season, and has been showing off some of that same play in his last 2 games. Too early to have any sort of idea about what kind of player he'll become, but he's an elite skater, pretty decently skilled with the puck, and has played fairly well in his own end so far too, no real complaints as of yet.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 12:42 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

Quote:
sorry about those people. just probability. bigger fanbase = more insecure fans

but honestly this is about gardiner. at the same time i know quite a bit of ducks fans who wrote off gardiner after that trade and i'm glad he's shown he can play in the NHL. we're happy with his play and hopefully he develops even more.

Old
10-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by vezna View Post
sorry about those people. just probability. bigger fanbase = more insecure fans

but honestly this is about gardiner. at the same time i know quite a bit of ducks fans who wrote off gardiner after that trade and i'm glad he's shown he can play in the NHL. we're happy with his play and hopefully he develops even more.
I know it's not all Leaf fans, it just seems like the vocal minority on these boards.

I don't remember anyone writing him off, I know a lot of Duck fans were saying it doesn't matter because Schultz > Gardiner, which is a pointless discussion, until they're both in the NHL.

Once again, I'm happy for Jake. He's been asked to play so many different roles in the last 4 years and he's taken them all in stride. I'm sure, whatever role he's asked to play in the future, he'll excel once again.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 03:13 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Well in their one game as a pair, Schenn and Gardiner looked amazing together. Both + players in a 6-2 loss and both with an assist. IMO, we have found a pair that will stay together for years to come. Schenn bringing a strong defensive and physical game, while Gardiner plays a smart two-way game with high offensive instincts.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 04:26 PM
Kulemon

One of the best skaters I've ever seen. Great offensive instincts, high hockey IQ, good puck mover, poised with the puck, and average defensively. Love this kid. I think he will be a very special player.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 07:56 PM
Kulemon

Jake Gardiner is doing it again so far tonight. Already has an assist on the night and has prevented a breakaway or two.

Loving. This. Kid.

Old
10-22-2011, 08:54 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

gardiner gets the 3rd star in tonight's habs-leafs game. should've gotten 2nd imo

he is BEAST defensively. my god his skating allowed him to prevent every breakaway while he was on the ice. he made a mistake or two, but my god it's hard to notice when he does everything else right.

and he also gets his shot tipped in by steckel for another assist.

Old
10-22-2011, 10:32 PM
ponder

He was great tonight, legitimately deserved his 3rd star. His best game as a Leaf so far, he really is a phenomenal skater - catches guys from behind, wins every race to the puck, wheels around forecheckers when coming up the ice with extreme ease. Making the odd rookie mistakes obviously, and has been more decent than amazing once we actually gain the zone, but overall he's way better than I would have expected. Has taken Liles' spot on the 2nd pairing, and I can actually see him holding it, too.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 10:48 PM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

jake gardiner is ridiculous.

his skating allows him to just recover almost without effort. he could be a step behind on a guy as last man back and the guy just catches up. his stick in the defensive end is great. he lifts sticks and just directs the puck into the corners, where he's the first to retrieve it. he'll make mistakes throughout the season but as long as he doesn't pinch deep, he'll be able to recover and interfere with the forwards through the neutral zone.

gardiner's not going down.

i can see them trade franson or gunnarsson.

both very good young defencemen.

Four1 Lead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 10:53 PM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
Well in their one game as a pair, Schenn and Gardiner looked amazing together. Both + players in a 6-2 loss and both with an assist. IMO, we have found a pair that will stay together for years to come. Schenn bringing a strong defensive and physical game, while Gardiner plays a smart two-way game with high offensive instincts.
schenn played 12 mins....his game tonight wasnt as bad as the last few, but he wasnt great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post

his skating allows him to just recover almost without effort. he could be a step behind on a guy as last man back and the guy just catches up. his stick in the defensive end is great. he lifts sticks and just directs the puck into the corners, where he's the first to retrieve it. he'll make mistakes throughout the season but as long as he doesn't pinch deep, he'll be able to recover and interfere with the forwards through the neutral zone.

id rather they just move franson. gunnarsson is better (franson is quite terrible), but he would probably get a better return.

franson for a 2nd would be a steal of a deal. he's just terrible. so many giveaways and weak on the puck.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 10-23-2011 at 12:15 AM. Reason: merge
mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 10:57 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphllp View Post
schenn played 12 mins....his game tonight wasnt as bad as the last few, but he wasnt great.
His ice-time doesn't do him justice. He was good.

But yeah, Gardiner has been terrific.

Old
10-22-2011, 10:57 PM
HappyGilmourr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post

um, I don't want to derail the thread... but Gunnarson has easily been our 2nd best defensmen this year. He's logging more then 22 minutes a night with Phaneuf and is playing in all situations and is a + player doing so. He might be our best overall defensmen at the MOMENT.

Anyways yes Gardiner is a special talent to watch. His skating separates him from his competition and when he gets ouy of position he can hustle back so he can afford to pinch. He's a treat to watch i expect a long successful career from Gardiner.

HappyGilmourr is offline   Reply With Quote