HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Erik Cole

View Poll Results: What's up with Cole
Overrated player with bad contract 34 20.48%
Bad Chemistry / needs to play with a big center 13 7.83%
Being completely misused by Mr. Big Ears 107 64.46%
Is trying to take the Heat off Gomez (Ie: team player) 12 7.23%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-23-2011, 12:08 AM
coolasprICE

vCash: 500
Erik Cole

No Cole thread ?

He is on pace for 12 Assists... and that is all !

Vote:

1) Overrated player with bad contract

2) Bad Chemistry / needs to play with a big center

3) Being completely misused by Mr. Big Ears

4) Is trying to take the Heat off Gomez (Ie: team player)

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:09 AM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
It's Erik by the way.

EDIT: Voted for the 3rd choice.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Coldplay
Courage

Cole's lack of success is due to one reason and one reason alone: Jacques Martin misusing him.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
pine

vCash: 50
lol Eric

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:10 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Cole's lack of success is due to one reason and one reason alone: Jacques Martin misusing him.

None of your options.
Big Ears

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:10 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Big Ears
Just saw. Changed my post.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:11 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
e) Is playing on a team that currently can't buy a win and thus it's hard to judge what he actually brings to the table.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:12 AM
Stradale

He started slowly but he's finding his game slowly in the past couple of games.... thank god JM is making sure that Cole will find his confidence by not giving him any PP and more than 12min of icetime.

#firemartin

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:12 AM
Maliki2

Big Ears. Huge Ego. Go **** yourself!

Maliki2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:16 AM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
of course and he is not either the first nor the last player Martin is making fun of!!!

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:34 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

My answer is combo of the top 3 on the list.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:50 AM
Tak7

Martin is definitely using him wrong, but he just looks like he's lost all confidence.

I was quite keen on Toronto landing this guy in the summer, and was rather upset when he ended up in Montreal and seeing the way he's been playing just looks a shadow of himself.

Gardiner had it way too easy against him tonight

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:54 AM
Miller Time

I voted "bad chemistry/needs big centre", but #1 (overpaid) and #3 (missused) are also very valid points.

as much as he should get more PP time, he is playing 14min/game without any pp time, which would equate to 16-17min with PP time, not bad for a player not really used on the PK, and yet he's not producing anything...

so as much as Martin is a tool for not putting out there on the PP to help get him going, Cole & his lack of chemistry are also to blame.

he clearly is at his best playing with Staal (not that most players wouldn't look good on his wing), but perhaps it's not just about Staal's talent, it could also be about the kind of space that a big/fast C takes up and what that does to opposing defense & open lanes for Cole to drive in on.

as good as Pleks is, he doesn't take up the kind of space that a big skilled C does, and doesn't draw the defense in around him in the same way (if anything, Pleks vision and speed somewhat force opposing teams to focus on shutting down passing lanes, challenging him to make the kind of physical plays that a guy like Staal would thrive on).

The highlight clips of Cole from last year seemed to almost always show him bearing down on the net with speed, and space, and I admit that they got me excited to see what he would do with us (even though my initial reaction was that we overpaid pretty bad) given that we are built for transition and opportunistic scoring...

but maybe what those clips didn't really show was how Staal's precesence on cole's line drew the defense away from those lanes, giving him the space he needed to drive to the net and shoot.

Watching him play so far, it seems pretty clear that he doesn't have elite puck skills, he's a North-South player as they say, and since every team is by now ready to deal with our transition game, and we don't have any centres (though Eller is getting there) who can drive through the middle of the ice and force the defense to close in on them, Cole doesn't get those lanes to drive to the net, and doesn't put up any points.

i may be way off, not enough of a hockey x & o guy to make strong analysis of such micro level factors, but I do see Cole competing hard, so his struggles surely aren't for lack of effort.

bottom line, it looked like a bad signing at the time, and nothing thus far indicates anything different... 4 years... this one could hurt pretty bad...

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:56 AM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
Martin is definitely using him wrong, but he just looks like he's lost all confidence.

I was quite keen on Toronto landing this guy in the summer, and was rather upset when he ended up in Montreal and seeing the way he's been playing just looks a shadow of himself.

Gardiner had it way too easy against him tonight
I wouldnt say he lost all confidence, but from all the games he played so far with us, it's pretty clear the guy HAS to play a power game to be effective... the only time he looked solid (not only this game) is when games were a little more physical...

I think the guy would be great if he could be on a line equivalent to Eller-AK-Moen...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:02 AM
Bud2790

Kessel is on pace for 93 goals and 70 assits for 163 points

Bud2790 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 05:53 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud2790 View Post
Kessel is on pace for 93 goals and 70 assits for 163 points
1967, bud. 1967. ****ing long time ago.
I'll take 1993 anyday over black 'n white 1967 tv.
Too soon to get cocky, bud.

Would I be allowed to be such a **** on the Leafs Board? (rhetorical question).

Not even hating Leave fans anymore (hate Chara's Bruins way more), but you're gving some reason to again!

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 10-23-2011 at 05:59 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 06:21 AM
TheWhiteIdea

This is not on Cole IMO

TheWhiteIdea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 06:47 AM
Rutabaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
I voted "bad chemistry/needs big centre", but #1 (overpaid) and #3 (missused) are also very valid points.

as much as he should get more PP time, he is playing 14min/game without any pp time, which would equate to 16-17min with PP time, not bad for a player not really used on the PK, and yet he's not producing anything...

so as much as Martin is a tool for not putting out there on the PP to help get him going, Cole & his lack of chemistry are also to blame.

he clearly is at his best playing with Staal (not that most players wouldn't look good on his wing), but perhaps it's not just about Staal's talent, it could also be about the kind of space that a big/fast C takes up and what that does to opposing defense & open lanes for Cole to drive in on.

as good as Pleks is, he doesn't take up the kind of space that a big skilled C does, and doesn't draw the defense in around him in the same way (if anything, Pleks vision and speed somewhat force opposing teams to focus on shutting down passing lanes, challenging him to make the kind of physical plays that a guy like Staal would thrive on).

The highlight clips of Cole from last year seemed to almost always show him bearing down on the net with speed, and space, and I admit that they got me excited to see what he would do with us (even though my initial reaction was that we overpaid pretty bad) given that we are built for transition and opportunistic scoring...

but maybe what those clips didn't really show was how Staal's precesence on cole's line drew the defense away from those lanes, giving him the space he needed to drive to the net and shoot.

Watching him play so far, it seems pretty clear that he doesn't have elite puck skills, he's a North-South player as they say, and since every team is by now ready to deal with our transition game, and we don't have any centres (though Eller is getting there) who can drive through the middle of the ice and force the defense to close in on them, Cole doesn't get those lanes to drive to the net, and doesn't put up any points.

i may be way off, not enough of a hockey x & o guy to make strong analysis of such micro level factors, but I do see Cole competing hard, so his struggles surely aren't for lack of effort.

bottom line, it looked like a bad signing at the time, and nothing thus far indicates anything different... 4 years... this one could hurt pretty bad...
An interesting thing i noticed was the fact that twice in the game, he was in a 1vs1 situation against Gardiner.
He did twice the same move, trying to force his way through and he lost the puck twice without being actually dangerous for Reimer and then Gustavsson.
Several times, he was just a step behind the play. Offensively, when he cant reach the puck on a pass in the neutral zone (9 shots on goal in 7 games, thats not enough), or defensively, when he is not covering his man...

The effort is there, it was clearly noticeable on some shifts, but there might be a problem with him adapting to his new team.
The so positive environment and well-known patience of the fans here is surely an appreciated help.

We just have to find him a centermen he's comfortable with, to give him a reference.
If he really cant play with Plekanec, there is still Eller. He may be not as strong as Staal and not as talented, but the size is there, the good use of the body to protect the puck is there, the talent is there.
The consistency, not yet, but we dont have any other option until Gomez is back, so...
And as a bonus, the competition is going to be 2nd liners, more likely to be a plus for him.

Rutabaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:02 AM
LeMAD

5: He's not playing with Eric Staal.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:04 AM
LeMAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
1967, bud. 1967. ****ing long time ago.
I'll take 1993 anyday over black 'n white 1967 tv.
Too soon to get cocky, bud.

Would I be allowed to be such a **** on the Leafs Board? (rhetorical question).

Not even hating Leave fans anymore (hate Chara's Bruins way more), but you're gving some reason to again!
Lol I think that you just insulted a Habs fan...but even if it wasn't the case, he was clearly just saying that it won't last, in both cases.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:09 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Stupid poll...how about #5-He hasn't yet found chemistry with his new team.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:26 AM
Young Gun

Overrated player with bad contract, said it from day one of his signing, who's kidding who, most , if not all nhl teams would not have signed him for that money. leftover scrap.

Young Gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:45 AM
Craig71

I picked option 2, Bad chemistry, needs to play with a big center. He is missing Staal who used to set the table for him. Carolina was willing to let him walk because they [B]did their homework[B] and realized is not the player he used to be, Jeff Skinner helped in the decision process. Welcome to Montreal Mr Cole,where all old former decent players go to fade away.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:19 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

He looked good last night, maybe the best game yet for him. It has to be hard for him to find chemistry the way things are changing around right now.

I think he was always only going to be a complementary player we looked for ~20 goals from, however, so I've always expected he would draw heat at various points as a Hab. We paid the premium in $$$ to address a need, and Cole will inevitably draw heat for not being a better player than he is, despite that.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:20 AM
number72

Eric Cole is the saviour

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote