HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time for a new coach?

Old
10-23-2011, 12:26 AM
ilovemarkmessier

vCash: 500
Time for a new coach?

Torts has got to go. We do not score any you wanna know why? Its cause these guys never get into a groove together cause every other shift there playing with different guys. It drives me insane as a Ranger fan we have as much talent as any team in the league deeper then most but our coach sucks. If Matt Moulson has a bad night does he get shuffled to the third line or benched? Of course not hes out there on the next shift with Taveres and P.A.. Enough is enough this guy cant coach and person who follows hockey knows these guys need to play together to be effective well everyone but Tortarella that is. Please please fire this guy already.

ilovemarkmessier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:29 AM
JeffMangum
mfw Flyers D

vCash: 300
Welp, this was bound to start - and, at this point, I wouldn't exactly be opposed to it.

The team knows the "meat & potatoes" of hockey. However, they need to play a much, much, much smarter game - they are playing a very dumbed down game at this point, and while that may have worked for a team such as last year's team, a team that has to play that way to win, it won't work for a team that can win with offensive talent alone, and, honestly, this team's top-6 should be able to carry the offense.

Get a tactical coach. Someone who can teach these players to think outside the box, try new things, not the same dump, chase, lose race, repeat.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:29 AM
TheHotRock

henrik is the only reason the guy still has a job

TheHotRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:43 AM
ilovemarkmessier

Look what a new coach did for the Islanders and Devils. Ive had just about enough of this guy losing games for us. He needs to stop over coaching and leave the lines alone.

Old
10-23-2011, 12:44 AM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 10431
Please get rid of Torts, we are going nowhere with this guy behind the bench. We need someone who is going to let our players play. Not bench half the team when EVERYONE is playing like ****. I'm sick of the line juggling, it's no wonder we cant score- Guys have no time to develop chemistry.

Net Front Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:47 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Haven't been pleased with Torts' start to the season beginning with the Avery decision down to the constant line juggling but you gotta give the guy more than 6 games to start the season. The team hasn't even played a ****ing home game yet and are missing two of their top defensemen. Everyone loved Torts last year but everyone jumps off the bandwagon the moment the team struggles. Give it some time and the team will get back on track. And at some point it's up to the players to perform. Torts could leave the lines together, juggle them, or do whatever but at the end of the day, Dubinsky or whoever's on the ice has to get the job done. Torts isn't on the ice playing, the players are.

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:49 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
If we don't make it past the 1st round, Torts is gone. And Sather should be as well.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:49 AM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

So when he won the Stanley Cup, that was luck?

Megustaelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:53 AM
OverTheCap

Seems like one of those years where every loss will be pinned on the coach. He's not going anywhere. Also, these complaints look awfully similar to what was said about Renney. How many coaches need to be fired before people realize that Sather is part of the problem here?

I said it before and I'll say it again... I never thought this team would contend for the cup this year, and those who thought they were are probably going to be disappointed. Especially with Staal out for an undetermined period of time. No 1st line LW, no legitimate offensive defenseman, a 4th line composed of spare parts.

Richards and Gabby have met my expectations so far offensively, if not exceeded them, but the Pack Line has been lackluster. I'm assuming they will turn it around at some point.

However, the PP often times lacks creativity and movement, and that's something Torts needs to fix. Maybe he should hire another assistant coach to concentrate on the PP, I never understood why he only went with one assistant anyway...

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:54 AM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
It's an incomplete team, the expectations around here are out of control.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:55 AM
ReggieDunlop68
Hey Hanrahan!

We also scored a lot of goals with Renney.

ReggieDunlop68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ke11y96

Ya have to wonder about this tho guys, we say we have the talent it shouldn't be an issue to be a top team. Yet we struggle at numerous things. All last year the talk was B.Richards one of the best pp qb's in the game will help any team yet here we are struggling. It very well could be a coaching issue, but what is also apparent is these guys just do not seem comfortable out there playing with one another. To me this team goes beyond coaching its about putting a roster together that you know can play with one another.

Now anyone can argue they don't have time to establish chemistry and thats very true I even agree with it..however Sather has to give players linemates and talent that suits that individual. We have arguably one of the best playmaking centers in the game. For the sake of arguing lets say we didn't have Gaborik, and instead we had on Richie's left wing a puck possession left winger who hasn't eclipsed 15 goals but averages 35 assists, and on Richies right side is a winger that is primarily a small set up guy. That line has no shot at being effective because there is no shooter! The same premise can be made for a number of configured lines, however is this Tortorella's fault? Or is this the fault of Sather and the lack of coordinated talent needed to put lines together?

Ke11y96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
park rangers
Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
If we don't make it past the 1st round, Torts is gone. And Sather should be as well.
Sather should have been gone 10 years ago!

Torts constant line changes makes me feel like this...

park rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:00 AM
DoTheBlue
Off Season Blues

I don't like everything Torts does nor do I think he's been doing a lot of things well but it's 6 games. I wouldn't even consider this until after the new year or unless it get much worse. 2-2-2. 6 points in 6 games doesn't quite cross the threshold of records that get coaches fired. Not to mention that the on ice performance of some key players has been disappointing.

DoTheBlue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:05 AM
truebluegoalie

yes. And for the record not everyone liked him last year. I haven't been a fan for some time and have been critical of his line juggling since he came back to NY.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:27 AM
levski87

Every coach juggles lines, you guys need to get over this.

This dump and chase hockey is getting ridiculous.

levski87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:32 AM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by levski87 View Post
Every coach juggles lines, you guys need to get over this.

This dump and chase hockey is getting ridiculous.
I have never seen a coach change lines and bench players the way he does. I don't think people are overreacting about it at all. You don't break up the only line that has been doing anything for you 1 shift into a game. His constant line juggling leads you to think he panics and feels like he has to do something.

Last edited by truebluegoalie: 10-23-2011 at 01:42 AM.
truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:03 AM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
I'll give him the nod for now. Record could be a lot worse, if the team is still struggling going into the all-star game, they may need a shakeup.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 06:20 AM
ilovemarkmessier

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
It's an incomplete team, the expectations around here are out of control.
Please give me Renney back we were a playoff team under him with much less talent. With torts we make or miss the playoffs on the last day of the season.

Old
10-23-2011, 06:23 AM
ilovemarkmessier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megustaelhockey View Post
So when he won the Stanley Cup, that was luck?

Like how Joe Torre was great for the Yankees won many World Series but lost 120 games every year while managing the Mets? Torts isnt the right guy fro the Rangers. I want Messier!!!

Old
10-23-2011, 06:48 AM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

If someone said that the Rangers will go to the West Coast and go 2-1 in their first three games, I think everyone here would take that. They did. Now, they played a stinker last night and everyone jumps off the ship again. Sigh.

In any event, I'd get rid of either Newbury or Christensen and bring up MZA to play on 4th line and give him PP time for starters.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:16 AM
bubba5

Yup it's all torts fault that they miss the net more than they get shots on goal. That Richards has done nothing qb ing the pp, for that matter much of anything. That stall has been nowhere near the ice thanks to his great brother. Yup, torts it's all your fault. Oh and we should fire Barbara underhll while we are at it as her magic with Boyle seems to be gone too.

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:25 AM
bmw2004

He is definitely has to go. Just look at our poweplay that has been struggling since he started coaching here. He is one frustrated and nervous coach that has no idea how to fix this team. His purposeless line juggling is just another proof for that. I can almost feel that with new guy behind the bench this team resources and strenght will be as good as on a paper. Glen please FIRE him NOW!!!

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:42 AM
beastly115

I haven't been anti-Torts, but last night he really annoyed me. Richards and Gaborik had been getting some decent scoring chances in the 1st, so what does the monkey do? Breaks them up. Our only line that was producing any sort of offense, he breaks up. What the **** was that? Juggle whatever 2nd and 3rd liners you need, but leave the one god damn line that produces offense alone.

Second, the dump and chase thing. Or maybe it should be called dump and turn the puck over because that's what always happens. Torts "system" simply put, sucks.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:50 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I'll give him the nod for now. Record could be a lot worse, if the team is still struggling going into the all-star game, they may need a shakeup.
Stop being logical

This place is only for knee jerk reactions and hyperbole

You people are out of your face if you think mixing up the lines lost us that game.

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote