Notices

Joe Thornton's 1000th game tonight!

Old
10-22-2011, 04:26 PM
InTentsProductions*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinthebronx View Post
I'll just address Ryder's game 4 performance - considering the traditional rivalry between the Habs and the Bruins and the painful way the B's have lost over the years to the hated Habs coupled by the fact that the Bruins lost the first two games at home in that series and were down 1-0; 3-1; 4-3 in that game - that overtime goal by Ryder was one of the all time great Bruins playoff moments of all time and not one single Thornton goal you posted even compares to what Ryder did in that game in Montreal. Sorry, I stand by all my original comments about Ryder, Krejci and above all the amazing play of Brad Marchand.

Let's just agree to disagree since your inclusion of a very select number of youtube clips mainly from one playoff series is not IMO proof that Thornton hasn't grossly underachieved playing for a hugely talented SJ team.
We can agree you don't follow the sharks at all or bothered watching them in the playoffs, because if you saw Thornton in the 2010 or 2011 playoffs against the wings or canucks you would have a drastically different opinion.

InTentsProductions* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 04:31 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely08 View Post
What made my blood boil a/b the game 7 article was the timing. I saw it as him doing the job for the smurf media. Still do. Sort of the antithesis of when Harry was quoted before a game 7 against the habs boldly declaring, "Patrick Roy SUCKS!". Well, whether Harry got in Roy's head or not, that night Roy indeed sucked. I always gave him the benefit of the doubt in regard to being hurt in 04. But how does that explain some of his no shows w/ the Sharks since?

I was considered JT yambag scrubber #1 around here, trust me. I wasn't irate when he was initially dealt, more irate when the names of who we had acquired were enumerated like a death sentence. Who couldn't we have had?

Did he play on flawed teams here? I think so. And that 05-06 team was a cruel joke. But the Sharks? They're out of excuses, and have been for some time. Should he have been given the C? Or should B's management have recognized that wasn't his forte, and simply seen him as David Krejci on steroids? Someone I trust once told me he wanted that C.

One thing I could never say, even now, is this guy played to his full potential. Not by any stretch of the imagination. If JT wanted to drive to the net and get a shot on goal. Nothing short of Chara or Pronger could stop him from doing so. He doesn't have to play a perimeter game, but does, and that's all he does. That's fine, he's probably the best in the world at it, no argument there. Even Esposito asked him why in god's name doesn't he shoot more? He wants to be 99 Junior. But someone needs to tell him 99 also scored more goals than anyone else, too.

His comments last year regarding the B's getting a break from the league are as delusional as the most jaded habs fan. But in his defense, I think some of that was misdirected due to him getting the shaft on his own suspension. The guy skated right into him, like Halpern on Ference, except not intentionally. And yeah, I agree, he's not NASA material.

Winning the Cup certainly healed a lot of old wounds. This was certainly one of them. It sure puts things in perspective. Joe will be at his best tonight. And, why I wanted nothing to do w/ the sharks in the finals.
Isn't that a job for his coach? Or is Thornton uncoachable?

Artemis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 04:47 PM
lostinthebronx

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTentsProductions View Post
We can agree you don't follow the sharks at all or bothered watching them in the playoffs, because if you saw Thornton in the 2010 or 2011 playoffs against the wings or canucks you would have a drastically different opinion.
I have tried to be polite - you on the other hand have consistently resorted to personal attacks largely because other than those handful of plays you linked to, you have nothing to offer in terms of showing off his great playoff successes with the Sharks over the last few years. Unless he makes it to a SC finals he will be widely considered as a monumental shocker and underachiever just like ARod in baseball, except Alex has actually won a World Series. I have NHL center ice I have watched tons of Sharks games over the last three years including the playoffs and I have not been impressed at all with Joe Thornton's play. Considering his size, his God-given gifts and skills he has not shined in the playoffs and has not distinguished himself especially when compared to players who are smaller and not as naturally skilled and talented as he is. Joe is a big guy who more often than not plays a small game. Give me a guy like Martin St. Louis any day of the week who busted his a** to make it in the NHL and has played in the playoffs at a level that Joe has never reached.

One more thing, I'm a Bruins fan so ultimately I don't really give a crap whether or not Joe sucks it up in SJ - he's your problem now and if you want to pretend that Joe is a playoff warrior you go right ahead and knock yourself out – I on the other hand will be busy watching my Boston Bruins Championship DVD.

Last edited by lostinthebronx: 10-22-2011 at 05:00 PM.
lostinthebronx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 09:20 PM
Neely08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Isn't that a job for his coach? Or is Thornton uncoachable?
Nope, that's Joe. Being in an open shooting lane and curling away to look for a passing lane has been his MO since Boston.

Scoring 37 in this league isn't luck.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:05 AM
InTentsProductions*

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinthebronx View Post
I have tried to be polite - you on the other hand have consistently resorted to personal attacks largely because other than those handful of plays you linked to, you have nothing to offer in terms of showing off his great playoff successes with the Sharks over the last few years. Unless he makes it to a SC finals he will be widely considered as a monumental shocker and underachiever just like ARod in baseball, except Alex has actually won a World Series. I have NHL center ice I have watched tons of Sharks games over the last three years including the playoffs and I have not been impressed at all with Joe Thornton's play. Considering his size, his God-given gifts and skills he has not shined in the playoffs and has not distinguished himself especially when compared to players who are smaller and not as naturally skilled and talented as he is. Joe is a big guy who more often than not plays a small game. Give me a guy like Martin St. Louis any day of the week who busted his a** to make it in the NHL and has played in the playoffs at a level that Joe has never reached.

One more thing, I'm a Bruins fan so ultimately I don't really give a crap whether or not Joe sucks it up in SJ - he's your problem now and if you want to pretend that Joe is a playoff warrior you go right ahead and knock yourself out I on the other hand will be busy watching my Boston Bruins Championship DVD.
First off. I'm a bruins fan. So no need for calling joe "my problem."

Secondly, you can keep acting like you've been extremely polite and attempting serious discussion, but the fact is you've been straight up ignoring facts and everything I've said. You keep repeating invalid points and ignoring everything Joe has done which is not just rude, but stupid.

Finally, as this post shows you are brutally incapable of watching a hockey game without bias which leads to you be completely incapable of evaluating thornton. Your points are consistently flawed a player is not a choker because he has not won a cup or reached the finals. That doesn't make any sense. A fourth liner like pascal rheamue is not clutch because he won a cup. The plays I cited are not the entire basis of his game in the last two years in the playoffs. If you watched those games with an objective eye you would have seen Joe became a different player those two years. To say he is STILL an underachieving playoff performer because of performances over two years ago is ludicrous, inaccurate, and extremely ignorant. So instead of acting like you're the victim of my "personal attacks" attempt to become educated and actually watch the games without bias.

InTentsProductions* is offline   Reply With Quote