HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3 Stars & GBR: Game 06 @ Edmonton Oilers

View Poll Results: 3 Stars?
Brian Boyle 3 3.75%
Ryan Callahan 1 1.25%
Michael Del Zotto 3 3.75%
Brandon Dubinsky 2 2.50%
Steve Eminger 2 2.50%
Tim Erixon 2 2.50%
Ruslan Fedotenko 1 1.25%
Marian Gaborik 48 60.00%
Dan Girardi 14 17.50%
Henrik Lundqvist 56 70.00%
Ryan McDonagh 6 7.50%
Brandon Prust 12 15.00%
Brad Richards 4 5.00%
Derek Stepan 5 6.25%
Other 7 8.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-23-2011, 12:21 AM
Fataldogg

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
1. Poor puck movement from the D to the F
2. No sustained forecheck that generates chances
3. Too much perimeter play
4. No secondary scoring
5. Poor shooting accuracy especially from the D (hit the goalie!)
6. PP looks average at best
7. Injuries
8. Penalties

As far as the negatives go, all things that can be corrected with time - but man it can be irritating to watch sometimes.

Generally speaking this team is lacking another top 4 D (even with injured guys back) and a top line LW -- Can't wait to see if Wolski can contribute when he returns and Sauer and Staal should definitely help the puck movement from the D.

Dubinsky, Callahan, and Anisimov are ****ing invisible... I mean come on. They have fewer shots on goal in total than Gaborik (sans Callahans one 11 SOG game). It's ****ing pathetic.

We don't have a third line right now....

Ahh the Rangers, can never quite put it all together
I've been wanting to get Wolski in the line up badly but sadly, I don't see much happening. Torts seems convinced that Boyle, Fedotenko and Prust is the 3rd line. Wolski would likely be moved to the 4th line with EC and Rupp (which should really be the 3rd line). Add to that, it seems Torts has never really liked Wolski anyway and if he doesn't produce immediately he can go the way of MZA.

Fataldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:22 AM
Avery316
guilty as charged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
what exactly can Torts say other than that? they sucked. everyone outside of like Henrik, Gabby and Prust were effing terrible. the effort level was pathetic. It starts with Cally, he needs to wake his ass up.
The right thing to do is answer questions even if he only said we flat out sucked, why even show up to the press conference? everything he does he tries to make a point and its just not working obviously. He makes it seem as nothing is his fault or his problem, someone with a head that big I'm surprised when they can fit through the doorway.

Avery316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
what exactly can Torts say other than that? they sucked. everyone outside of like Henrik, Gabby and Prust were effing terrible. the effort level was pathetic. It starts with Cally, he needs to wake his ass up.
He's been an unpleasant surprise thus far. I'm accustomed to Cally setting the tone with his forechecking, hitting, etc., but for whatever reason, he hasn't looked like himself since the 1st game. I'm sure playing shorthanded a lot doesn't help matters, but it just looks like he's lacking that jump that he usually has.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TomLaidlaw

-If you are as bad defensively as Michael Del Zotto is then you better be putting up some impressive offensive numbers to offset it. He does nothing well right now. Why are we forcing him to play in the NHL? He belongs in the AHL.

He had a terrific first 20 games of his career and has been a train wreck since. How much longer does he live off those 20 games? He shouldn't be developing at the NHL level. Let the kid play in the AHL, stop rushing his development. It may turn out that he just isn't very good. I hope that isn't the case but I think we are doing his career a disservice with how we are developing him.

-Dubinsky-Arty-Cally were bad tonight

-I am really missing the days of Colton Orr. At least he understood his role and rarely took dumb penalties.

-Gaborik and Henrik were the only bright spots tonight. Basically the story of the season so far. Prust wasn't bad either.

-We can't create shots at all.

-It is still early so no need to panic but we look really bad so far. Henrik playing like a super human is covering up many of this teams flaws right now.

-Torts angry act in press conferences is getting old fast. You can't preach accountability to the team then not hold yourself accountable in the press conference. Stand there and answer the questions. A lot like preaching discipline then the next day getting yourself suspended for the biggest game of the year because you threw a water bottle at an overweight Caps fan. Not that I am opposed to throwing objects at overweight caps fans.

TomLaidlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:23 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubi17 View Post
i dont know why people still find this amusing. its completely childish and just embarrassing at this point. stop being a baby and answer questions. especially since its partly his fault the team sucked ass.

well

I worked briefly in another life as a reporter and covered a few scrums--there would have been no smart questions from the media after this game and the only questions he would have gotten woud have been the same twenty questions he gets after every loss

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:26 AM
UlfNilsson

Cally will come around. I think he's trying to do too much because of his new designation as Captain. He will turn things around. Dubi? Not so confident about him. It's a slippery slope because Cally/Dubi are buds, trading Dubi may have a negative effect re: team psyche, even if the best time to do so is probably right now while other teams still covet him. If he keeps playing like this they won't get much in return. Especially with his new contract.

UlfNilsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:35 AM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

If I see this transformed Garden commercial one more time I'm gonna punch myself in the face.

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:43 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
If I see this transformed Garden commercial one more time I'm gonna punch myself in the face.
youtube it when you do it please

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:51 AM
park rangers
Optimist

My thoughts on the game after only being able to watch the 3rd period:

-Del Zotto seems to lose every puck battle in the corners and along the walls, he doesn't make any glaring defensive mistakes but he's certainly not a plus to this team thus far.

- Dubinsky is really struggling in all aspects of his game, especially offensively. I'm 100% confident he'll get it back

-Callahan seems to have the same struggles and where as he usually wins a lot of the battles, he is recently losing every single one. Again, im confident he'll get it back

-Gaborik looks like a monster again. He's really been showing his speed so far this year.

-Richards is an amazing passer and pure playmaker, as time goes on he'll develop a greater chemistry with Gaborik.

-Tortarella is line juggling WAY too much IMO. He's also just benched 3 players for an entire period, unbelievably dumb. No wonder we're getting outskated to the puck, we're rolling 3 lines simply because our coach is stubborn.

-I believe the Rangers will play to their true identity once they return home. You can never underestimate what kind of spark the Garden faithful can provide.

- And finally, Henrik Lunqvist is the best goalie in the league, hands down. Idc what stats there are that prove other wise.

park rangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:14 AM
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey

Didnt see the game, and from what ive read here i didnt miss much!

Go Torts!

Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:37 AM
Vomiting Kermit*

Is Lundqvist alright? Admittedly I haven't read through this thread but the Rangers are my second favourite team, so I was worried when I saw him go down. I was watching at a bar and the sound was low, but it looked like his arm? Hope he's okay.

Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:49 AM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 1092
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vomiting Kermit View Post
Is Lundqvist alright? Admittedly I haven't read through this thread but the Rangers are my second favourite team, so I was worried when I saw him go down. I was watching at a bar and the sound was low, but it looked like his arm? Hope he's okay.
He said it was just cramping in his foot due to a skate issue. Not serious at all

Net Front Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:56 AM
Vomiting Kermit*

Quote:
Originally Posted by x GBISH x View Post
He said it was just cramping in his foot due to a skate issue. Not serious at all
Oh good, I thought he was grabbing his arm when he left the ice. Thanks.

Vomiting Kermit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:01 AM
Kershaw

Bad night. Good atmosphere at Rexall when the scored.

The good: Oilers Octane Girls, Gaborik was flying, needs to finish his chances though. McDonagh had a so-so game, but he was really pissing off Hall throughout the night. He played well and broke up plays

The Bad: Pretty much everyone on the team, Lundqvist was 'meh', not dominant but played well enough for the W, unfortunately he didn't get any goals to support him.

The Redden: Dubinsky, Bell both stink. Disgusted by the play of these tonight.

Really it seemed like a game where the team took it for granted against the Oilers, expecting a win to be served on a silver platter. The Oilers were just the better team in all facets of the game.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:19 AM
fredrikstad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
One of the worst game I have ever witnessed under the Torts regime. The PP was worse than usual, with a team that was afraid to shoot in a ****ing 5-3! Are you kidding me! All last year I was yelling for them to hire a PP coach, Torts and Sullivan are awful with the PP. Something needs to give Sather.

Not a single player on this team besides Gabby and Richards can hit the net consistently, couple that with Torts aggressive style where our players are supposed to pinch it was only a matter of time before our d-men get caught and a faster team like the Oilers makes us pay.

We need to add a d-man who can log top 4 minutes asap as MDZ needs to be in Hartford and EC/Newbury can go there as well. Would be nice if this team played with some or any passion, all the forwards who got new contracts have been nowhere to be be found Boyle, Cally, Dubi, Arty, and Feds

Hank and Gaborik are the only players who showed up to play tonight
Seems a litle unfear to me. The guy has been all over the ice on the other games,and praised to the sky.
He should be allowed to have ONE of game?
The Jets are gonna burne for this.

fredrikstad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:22 AM
tsnTpoint

I don't think some of you Rangers fans are putting this into perspective.

Rangers are the only team in the NHL not to have a single "home" game. The team is on one big road trip spanning two continents.

It is way to early to hit the panic button yet. Going .500 over this span is a huge success IMHO. Win against the Jets and the team is looking good.

tsnTpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:36 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

In 3 of the 6 games so far we've had under 20 shots

That's garbage

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 03:12 AM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsnTpoint View Post

Rangers are the only team in the NHL not to have a single "home" game. The team is on one big road trip spanning two continents.

It is way to early to hit the panic button yet. Going .500 over this span is a huge success IMHO. Win against the Jets and the team is looking good.
You are right, but the record is deceiving. They aren't playing well, end of story. It is still early and they have plenty of time to turn it around but they just don't look good and I think that is the frustrating thing.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 03:13 AM
egelband

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrleetch View Post
The great EC has 0 shots on goal this year.

Great Call Torts.
I'd much rather see Avery on this team than Christensen. and while they're at it, they could bring back MZA for Newbury. Hopefully this happens by mid-November. No need to panic, but I just prefer what Avery and MZA bring to the team.

egelband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 03:25 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Only watched the first (where they were very very mediocre), how'd they look the rest of the game?

What baffles me is how they can show up and look like they've never played with each other before. Anisimov, Callahan and Dubinsky bump into each other every other shift on a rush, like they've never ****ing had a shift together. It's beyond retarded.

ColonialsHockey10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 04:04 AM
Callagraves
Block shots

I honestly need to take a break from these boards. When the team is doing alright, they're usually fine, but the rage and blame that's going around is just too much.

This is not a bad team. If this team PLAYS like it's supposed to, or rather what it's capable of, it's quite the force. But even the best teams don't play the best.

I'm so insanely sick of everything that goes wrong being blamed on John Tortorella. Players aren't doing well? Blame Torts. Powerplay takes one shot every two minutes? Blame Torts? We have one of the best PKs in the league? Well that's all the players right there, that's what it is.

AND THE CONFIRMATION BIAS

I'm not a massive Torts fan. I like his attitude, and i like the way he's helped to shape the club. But he can't be blamed for every little thing you don't want to blame on the players. And i swear, the way the word clown is thrown around, i'm want to scrape my eyes out. some of this **** is unbearable.

and Finally, let's not pretend anybody wants christensen on the team any more than we do. Avery's gone, he's not coming back, and with the way penalties are being called at the moment, we should all be kissing the feet of whoever made the decision, because if he WAS in the line up, we'd have an extra 2-3 penalties a game.

The Pack line needs to get going. They did a bit better today, Dubi had some alright chances, and Cally had what was the Rangers best shot on goal of the game. Today was a bad day for puck battles, which is what we need to win to win a game.

This is not a bad team. The just played like one.

/RANT

Callagraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 06:10 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsnTpoint View Post

The perspective is, we've been one elite goalie standing on his head away from a 0-6-0 record. The team has been that bad and Lundqvist has been that good. Even when the tactics might start working again, I see nothing but mediocrity from this team.

We're 27th in goals/ game, 30th in PP%, 29th in shots/ game, 25th in shots allowed (we were last before this evening) and 30th in taken penalties. The only categories we don't suck in are GAA (5th) and points in the standings. And the numbers don't lie, we've been that awful. Thanks Hank for making it look like this team hasn't been completely useless.

Last edited by Chimp: 10-23-2011 at 06:24 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 06:31 AM
Tanner Glass
Call me Nils

If this is seriously the team we're playing with this seaon...

Tanner Glass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 06:38 AM
chosen

Edmonton has been an excellent defensive team so far this year. Fans often forget that there are two teams on the ice during the game.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:04 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
Roadtrip is still a success, TO ME. I wanted at least four points. No athletes (except for Hank, it seems) is built to travel 16,000 miles and god knows how many time zones...

They played like ****. No excuses. But, again, we have 76 games left.
Good post. I agree. This road road is crazy to start the year off. 2 wins and 2 ties is not bad at all. Once they are at MSG, this team will start doing well.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote