HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Blockbuster 3-way: VCR-MTL-TB (Luongo/Lecavalier/Gomez+Cammalleri)

Old
10-23-2011, 01:48 AM
Miller Time

vCash: 500
Blockbuster 3-way: VCR-MTL-TB (Luongo/Lecavalier/Gomez+Cammalleri)

the recent VCR Province editorial proposing a Lecavalier-Luongo swap got me thinking...

with Sedin/Kesler (and Hodgson) there is really no way VCR considers adding Lecavalier and his contract... but reading that article got me thinking and i could see a rare 3-way deal making sense for all teams invovled... it's a bit out there, but bear with me:

To Mtl
Lecavalier (7.7M)
Hansen (1.35M)
B.Clark (1.5M)

cap in- 10.55M
cap out- 13.4M
(save ~3M)

To TB
Luongo (5.3M)
Gomez (7.4M)
Ballard (4.2M)
Mtl 2nd

cap in- 16.9M
cap out- 12.7M
(add 4M)

To Vcr
Cammalleri (6M)
Roloson (3.5M)

cap out- 10.85
cap in- 9.5M
(save 1.35M)

rational:

Mtl gets rid of Gomez, while getting the big C long coveted (not to mention french canadian star player not seen since Roy). Clark and Hansen bolster roster depth right now (and re-unites Eller with a fellow dane )
cost is being weighed down with Lecavalier's massive deal, and losing playoff stud Cammalleri, but it's the kind of bold move this franchise needs.

TB moves former face of franchise, but gets long-term solution in nets... Luongo is still a premier talent, but his rocky relationship with VCR fans/media, & wife's florida roots might help him welcome move. Gomez is no boon, but does give them a stop-gap 2nd line centre whose actual salary drops in the next two years. Playing behind an offensive dynamo like Stamkos and for a coach seemingly good at reclamation projects could be the spark he needs to return to at least a decent 2nd liner production level. could be a nice fit with Malone/Purcell/Downie as wingers.
Ballard is expensive, but fills a need on D, and again, Boucher's magic could help him get back to Florida level of play (he is only 29). Pick helps ease the "pain" of Gomez/Ballard bloated deals.

VCR moves Lou to make way for Schneider to take over full time, while giving him a solid veteran back-up. Cammalleri (along with Booth addition today) gives them a deadly top-6, and with Schneider the only important contract to deal with in 2012, they have 2-years of a steady cap situation to run with.

I could see TB having reservations about Gomez/Ballard, but getting Luongo might make it worthwhile. IF they really couldn't accept it, as the Habs GM i'd be willing to make it David Desharnais + Spacek instead (and then bury Gomez in the minors until I found somewhere else to move him). DD is not proven as a 2nd line centre, but has been better than Gomez this year and has strong history with Boucher from their time in Hamilton. Spacek is only 1 year, but if the habs are keeping Gomez's contract on the payroll, they'd want to send some money back to TB... Lecavalier the player is great to have, but that contract will be tough to swallow in 4-5-6 years.

thoughts? if you get over the :crazy: of Gomez/Luongo/LEcavalier/Ballard all moving at the same time (all unpleasant contracts), I think it actually gives all 3 teams a lot of what they need, and all three take on a bit of risk...

short-term, all three teams get better in my estimation, and long-term TB/Mtl will have some challenges but a little creative cap juggling should solve things, not too mention the potential for next CBA to allow for some better buy-out flexibility.

Miller Time is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:57 AM
MessierII

I'm not a fan of any of these teams but I actually think this looks good. Props for even thinking this up.

MessierII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:59 AM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Canucks get ass *****

Lucbourdon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:00 AM
Diamonddog01

Huh? Van gets ***** in this deal. Giving up Luongo, Ballard and Hansen for Cammy and and Roloson?

No thanks.

Diamonddog01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:00 AM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Canucks say "why?"

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:04 AM
luongoisdaman

Riight. No way we want to depend on Roloson for half the season, which I expect will be the case if this trade actually happened.

luongoisdaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:06 AM
InfinityIggy
Inflammatory Poster

vCash: 133
Van C gets worked over in this deal.

InfinityIggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:06 AM
canucksPK

No need to trade hansen

canucksPK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:07 AM
Canuckfan4Life2

Is this honestly a joke?

Canuckfan4Life2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:10 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
Huh? Van gets ***** in this deal. Giving up Luongo, Ballard and Hansen for Cammy and and Roloson?

No thanks.
i guess Ballard has redeemed himself significantly since the disaster he was when it mattered last year?

I'd have thought moving the 9.5M$ locked up long-term in 2 redundant players, combined with adding a goal scorer who has proven to be reliable in the playoffs, would be welcomed by Nucks fans.

Personally I think Luongo is still a top notch guy, but it's pretty clear that his situation is shaky at best in the city... you don't carry your team to game 7 of the cup finals (being touted as a conn smythe candidate until the final round), and then get jeered 5 games in to the season if things are going well.

Is 10 more years of that really possible, if only for his own sanity? and how many other teams would be willing to pick up that kind of extended contract, other than a team who would be moving their own ridiculously long contract

the 1.35M savings on the cap would also be of considerable value to a cap strapped team clearly built for another cup run, allowing them to add a depth player or two near the deadline.

heck, i'd have added a pick or a prospect to VCR's side of the equation, but frankly I consider them to be making out the best in this deal as it is.

Old
10-23-2011, 02:12 AM
MessierII

I don't think Van gets fleeced as much as they think. Roloson and Cammi are both big performers in the playoffs something Luongo is not.

Old
10-23-2011, 02:13 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongoisdaman View Post
Riight. No way we want to depend on Roloson for half the season, which I expect will be the case if this trade actually happened.
why is that? is schneider not ready for #1 duties in your opinion?

I thought watching him last year that he looked primed for a #1 spot.

If Luongo doesn't get moved, hard to see him staying in VCR, he's going to want a chance to start, and the nucks won't have the cap space to re-sign him anyhow...

do nucks fans really want to stick with Luongo, over schneider, if given the opportunity to move Lou?

I'm surprised...

Old
10-23-2011, 02:15 AM
JuniorNelson

vCash: 50
Gillis won't trade for an old man like Roloson. He signs them during the offseason.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:17 AM
studmuffinz

Ballard has been one of the best, if not the best, defenseman as of now. Our defense would be terrible after this.

And we give up to much

studmuffinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:17 AM
Blane Youngblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
I don't think Van gets fleeced as much as they think. Roloson and Cammi are both big performers in the playoffs something Luongo is not.
I love how that's common opinion but Lu has made it as far as Roloson and has actually won things (Olympics, World Championships, QMJHL titles) while Roloson has won jack ****.

Blane Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:19 AM
MessierII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blane Youngblood View Post
I love how that's common opinion but Lu has made it as far as Roloson and has actually won things (Olympics, World Championships, QMJHL titles) while Roloson has won jack ****.
Roloson would have won a cup and maybe a Conn Smyth if he didn't get hurt. He definately never got blown out and embarrassed.

Old
10-23-2011, 02:22 AM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Vancouver wants nothing to do with this

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:27 AM
Rschmitz

Was a bad idea when the Province suggested it, still a bad idea when a third team is included.

Rschmitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:29 AM
keslehr*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
the recent VCR Province editorial proposing a Lecavalier-Luongo swap got me thinking...

with Sedin/Kesler (and Hodgson) there is really no way VCR considers adding Lecavalier and his contract... but reading that article got me thinking and i could see a rare 3-way deal making sense for all teams invovled... it's a bit out there, but bear with me:

To Mtl
Lecavalier (7.7M)
Hansen (1.35M)
B.Clark (1.5M)

cap in- 10.55M
cap out- 13.4M
(save ~3M)

To TB
Luongo (5.3M)
Gomez (7.4M)
Ballard (4.2M)
Mtl 2nd

cap in- 16.9M
cap out- 12.7M
(add 4M)

To Vcr
Cammalleri (6M)
Roloson (3.5M)

cap out- 10.85
cap in- 9.5M
(save 1.35M)

rational:

Mtl gets rid of Gomez, while getting the big C long coveted (not to mention french canadian star player not seen since Roy). Clark and Hansen bolster roster depth right now (and re-unites Eller with a fellow dane )
cost is being weighed down with Lecavalier's massive deal, and losing playoff stud Cammalleri, but it's the kind of bold move this franchise needs.

TB moves former face of franchise, but gets long-term solution in nets... Luongo is still a premier talent, but his rocky relationship with VCR fans/media, & wife's florida roots might help him welcome move. Gomez is no boon, but does give them a stop-gap 2nd line centre whose actual salary drops in the next two years. Playing behind an offensive dynamo like Stamkos and for a coach seemingly good at reclamation projects could be the spark he needs to return to at least a decent 2nd liner production level. could be a nice fit with Malone/Purcell/Downie as wingers.
Ballard is expensive, but fills a need on D, and again, Boucher's magic could help him get back to Florida level of play (he is only 29). Pick helps ease the "pain" of Gomez/Ballard bloated deals.
Canucks get boned.
Tampa loses Lecavalier and replaces the subseqeunt gaping hole in their top-6 with Gomez?
Montreal is laughing all the way to the bank, getting a #1 center and capspace.

Terrible proposal there, OP.

keslehr* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:37 AM
Avs44

vCash: 3319
Montreal makes out like bandits here. Vancouver gets destroyed. Way to downgrade goaltending, defense, and get an expensive winger they don't need. Oh, and they also give up Hansen

Avs44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:40 AM
Jrtu

vCash: 871
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
I'm not a fan of any of these teams but I actually think this looks good. Props for even thinking this up.
Which explains why you would think this looks good

Jrtu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:43 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongoisdaman View Post
Schneider?

Tampa gets beaten over the head in the crowbar, everyone else does OK.

Halpysback is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:46 AM
Qward
Because! That's why!

vCash: 265
VCR?

It's VAN around here Mister!

Also would have accepted "The most hated team in the NHL"

Qward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:55 AM
debonair399

Why involve Montreal in this deal at all? They bring nothing to the table here.

If Van wanted to trade Luongo for a forward, they would much rather have Lecavalier than Cammalleri (and without having to lose Hansen).

If Tampa wanted a goalie, they would much rather do it without having to take on awful contracts like Gomez and Ballard.

A simple Lecavalier-Luongo swap would accomplish this.

The only rationale for this 3-way deal is to help improve your favorite team, the Habs, at the expense of both Tampa and Van.

debonair399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:58 AM
Silfverberg Snipes

vCash: 477
Even though I hate Luongo with a passion I have to look at this realistically and say HELL NO.

Silfverberg Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote