HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Carter needs to be sent down

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2005, 04:12 AM
PRB

vCash: 500
Hopefully that goal will give him the huge boost of confidence he needs.

Old
10-28-2005, 07:46 AM
Banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belfast Giants
Hopefully that goal will give him the huge boost of confidence he needs.
I don't think confidence is his problem. Over the last few games when he's had the puck he's been confident, carried the puck, shot it on net, etc. His problem is ice time and having a few good shifts to make it difficult for Hitch to sit him down.

You can definitely see the ability there. He's got very soft hands, good positioning around the goal and a quick shot. I think he does need a little more talent on his line, Sim/Brash aren't really going to generate much offense.

Old
10-28-2005, 09:14 AM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyersfan17
Hmm , he scored the Game tying goal and put us on the board ... People who think he needs to be sent down , havent even seen half of what he can do!
I am not knocking him and I hope he turns it around but he has had a total of 3 decent shifts...even last night, his speed is still not there and he is gettinf knocked off the puck far too easily.

Plain and simple if he is only getting 5 minutes of ice time, I would rather him get 15-20 minutes on the phantoms untill he is ready to compete at the NHL level.

Last edited by Coburnfan05: 10-28-2005 at 01:42 PM.
Old
10-28-2005, 12:24 PM
Kafka

He played less than 3 min in Montreal (I understood why I didn't notice no.17 that night) and 5 min in Florida, even if people on the board were saying he looked good (even before his goal). Who should I believe now? It is sad, but his ice time problem is partly caused by Esche, partly by the players taking bad penalties. Esche allows at least one soft goal per game, forcing Hitchcock to play only his top three lines; bad penalties increase the PK minutes of the team, reducing the fourth line time. If he could only get more minutes on the PP...

Old
10-28-2005, 12:58 PM
Banger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka
He played less than 3 min in Montreal (I understood why I didn't notice no.17 that night) and 5 min in Florida, even if people on the board were saying he looked good (even before his goal). Who should I believe now? It is sad, but his ice time problem is partly caused by Esche, partly by the players taking bad penalties. Esche allows at least one soft goal per game, forcing Hitchcock to play only his top three lines; bad penalties increase the PK minutes of the team, reducing the fourth line time. If he could only get more minutes on the PP...
I'm sure he'll get more PP and ice time in the coming games. He's a natural around the goal, good positioning, soft hands, quick shot all of which were evident last night and to some extent in a few of the shifts in prior games. He's gonna be a good one....

Old
10-28-2005, 01:24 PM
greatwhite101*

Can we play him with Big Keith? I mean Handzus is playing winger now and playing very well, can we try to do the same with Keith and see what this kid can do? Maybe in a few games? Radio Keith and Carter in the middle sounds like a good line to me that line has some speed. Keith can take faceoffs for now..

Old
10-28-2005, 01:43 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatwhite101
Can we play him with Big Keith? I mean Handzus is playing winger now and playing very well, can we try to do the same with Keith and see what this kid can do? Maybe in a few games? Radio Keith and Carter in the middle sounds like a good line to me that line has some speed. Keith can take faceoffs for now..
i think it is pretty much a given that it is going to be kapanen-primeau-radio/stevenson, so we might as well try and find another situation for him to play well in. when we get Kapanen/Stevenson back Carter should wind up with a slightly better line situation in any event.

i thought he had a couple of really good shifts last night, and was playing well in the corners. hopefully he can build on it.

Old
10-28-2005, 01:56 PM
Kafka

How is Savage playing? I wonder if Kapanen will pick his spot or Carter's one when he will come back....?

Old
10-28-2005, 02:22 PM
Banger

Quote:
How is Savage playing? I wonder if Kapanen will pick his spot or Carter's one when he will come back....?
at this point I'd guess that Kappy will replace Sim.

Old
10-28-2005, 03:04 PM
i am dave

Quote:
I'd prefer Kapanan take Savage's spot. Maybe it's just me, but I don't look at constantly hitting the posts as a good thing. And I think there have to be better alternatives to Brian Savage on the PP2 unit.

Old
10-28-2005, 04:55 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

Savage is getting a ton of icetime, PP and PK while Sim is not. Kapanen will take Sim's spot unless things drastically change.

Old
10-29-2005, 09:04 PM
stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime
Savage is getting a ton of icetime, PP and PK while Sim is not. Kapanen will take Sim's spot unless things drastically change.
Savage is logging three seconds short of five minutes more ATOI to be exact...

Yet, Sim has more goals, assists, and shots than Savage. If Sim's shot totals were extrapolated to match Savage's TOI, he'd have 24 shots, or 2.7/gm. Savage has averaged 1.4/gm.

It doesn't really matter to me who sits and who doesn't, but that's what it is. I would guess that either Sharp or Carter sits and both Sim and Savage stay in the lineup. Eventually, Stevenson will come back, too, and then they'll have to do something more.

Old
10-30-2005, 11:37 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
to all those carter doubters, jeff has now scored in the last two games, he just needed a little time to get used to the nhl level of play. he should be a good consistant player for now on.

Old
10-31-2005, 05:44 AM
PRB

Yep, it was always the best idea to keep him there and let him find his groove which seems to be happening. It was a lovely goal he scored as well.

Old
10-31-2005, 09:55 AM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitkanenPower
I'd prefer Kapanan take Savage's spot. Maybe it's just me, but I don't look at constantly hitting the posts as a good thing. And I think there have to be better alternatives to Brian Savage on the PP2 unit.
We are in November anyway now... Savage won't bring anything to this team at this point.

Old
10-31-2005, 09:58 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy
to all those carter doubters, jeff has now scored in the last two games, he just needed a little time to get used to the nhl level of play. he should be a good consistant player for now on.
He also got ice time in those games. Which he would have gotten in the AHL.

Old
10-31-2005, 10:23 AM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

Carter owned the A last year in the POs.What could he possibly learn there? All he needs is to get back to 100%,get his confidence going,he'll be fine.I think he only lost ONE faceoff last night,as well.

Old
10-31-2005, 04:52 PM
Gert B Frobe

anybody see the Ottowa game???

let's close this thread already - stupid idea to begin with...

Old
10-31-2005, 05:43 PM
MojoJojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer
anybody see the Ottowa game???

let's close this thread already - stupid idea to begin with...
The point to me isnt whether he is scoring or not, its that he is getting less than 10 minutes a night, and sometimes as few as three or four minutes. That is just not enough ice time for him to develop. Sending him down would at least allow him to play over twenty minutes a night in the AHL.

Old
10-31-2005, 05:51 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
The point to me isnt whether he is scoring or not, its that he is getting less than 10 minutes a night, and sometimes as few as three or four minutes. That is just not enough ice time for him to develop. Sending him down would at least allow him to play over twenty minutes a night in the AHL.
great point, he has to play to develope and getting good quality minutes in the most important thing right now. if he is healthy and given the chance, I have no doubt that Carter will get better as the year goes on but Hitch is only hurting him by sitting him on the bench for long stretches at a time.

the last two games have been better, Carter looks like a different player on the ice, so it will be interesting to see how Hitch uses him in the next few weeks.

Old
11-01-2005, 04:14 PM
CarlRacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoJojo
True, but it would be 20 minutes a night against inferior competition. Simply put, Jeff Carter is not going to become a better player matching up with players who, for the most part, are significantly less talented. Eight minutes of ice time against the Ottawa Senators and Montreal Canadiens does much more for his development than 20 minutes a night against the Springfield Falcons and the Hershey Bears. Carter has already proven he can dominate that level of competition -- and, in reality, the AHL was much more talented last year. He has nothing to gain from going back there.

Old
11-01-2005, 09:01 PM
Gert B Frobe

more minutes would be great for him - but not in the AHL. What is he going to learn in an AHL regular season that he didn't in last years AHL playoffs?

Old
11-02-2005, 08:04 AM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

Well,Primeau's out.Carter should definately get more minutes now,though he was already earning it the last few games.

Closed Thread