HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

The Black Sabbath Appreciation Thread

Old
10-22-2011, 05:46 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Different strokes for different folks! I on the other hand can't stand the Pantera version (and yes I am a big fan of theirs).
Interesting. What's your take on Pantera's cover of "Electric Funeral" dude? And have you heard the songs that Phil Anselmo did with Tony Iommi?

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 05:54 PM
cynicism

vCash: 500
Great Thread!

We all know Ozzy and Dio era Sabbath rules, but not everyone seems to know they made tons of great Metal without those two singers

cynicism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 06:55 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Interesting. What's your take on Pantera's cover of "Electric Funeral" dude? And have you heard the songs that Phil Anselmo did with Tony Iommi?
The Electric Funeral cover is very cool, and I like their Hole in the Sky cover too. I've only heard the one released song with Iommi/Anselmo, it was good to listen to but didn't stay with me.

I'm sure you have, but have ever heard the White Zombie Children of the Grave from the tribute album? That might be my favorite Sabbath cover from a well-known band. So heavy!

Here's another one of my faves that seems to get no love:

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 11:34 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!

Quote:
The Electric Funeral cover is very cool, and I like their Hole in the Sky cover too. I've only heard the one released song with Iommi/Anselmo, it was good to listen to but didn't stay with me.

I'm sure you have, but have ever heard the White Zombie Children of the Grave from the tribute album? That might be my favorite Sabbath cover from a well-known band. So heavy!

Here's another one of my faves that seems to get no love:

Yeah I heard the White Zombie "Children of the Grave" cover years ago...it's alright.

As for the Iommi/Anselmo songs, here are both of them for those of y'all who've never heard them. The song "Time Is Mine" appears on Iommi's solo album which was simply entitled Iommi, where as "The *******" didn't make the cut. Why it didn't make it...I have no clue unfortunately. Iommi's riffs in that song are so fast and brutal in that song.

Word is also that Tony and Phil Anselmo also recorded a third track that has sadly never seen the light of day. As for what that "Iommi" album is all about, it's basically him doing songs with a whole bunch of big name rock/metal musicians for those of you who didn't know about it.

Old
10-23-2011, 06:18 AM
Sundance
You Can Never Get To

Sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 08:42 AM
Buckets and Gloves
10 AVE FREEZE OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
My favourite Sabbath albums are the first two. One of my favourite songs is N.I.B, I could listen to Geezer Butlers bass intro all day.

I agree with MetalheadPenguinsFan, song like Electric funeral and fairies wear boots are heavily underrated.
Came to post that song... and Supernaught are one of my favs.

The wizard is fantastic too.

Buckets and Gloves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:08 AM
Ozz

Quote:
As for the Iommi/Anselmo songs, here are both of them for those of y'all who've never heard them. The song "Time Is Mine" appears on Iommi's solo album which was simply entitled Iommi, where as "The *******" didn't make the cut. Why it didn't make it...I have no clue unfortunately. Iommi's riffs in that song are so fast and brutal in that song.
The B'stard is a lot better Thanks for digging that up for me.

Old
10-23-2011, 10:20 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!

Quote:
The B'stard is a lot better Thanks for digging that up for me.
No problem dude. Am here to educate and help as usual.

Old
10-24-2011, 11:06 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!

So this morning I purchased more Sabbath. Well, sort of. Two of the albums I bought (their self titled and Volume 4) were to replace my heavily used CD copies that I already have.

But as for something new and exciting I finally bought their double disk "Reunion" album. Anyone else have it? How is it? Is it the same reunion performance of songs taken from that "The Last Supper" Sabbath DVD?

Old
10-24-2011, 05:18 PM
cynicism

I bought Reunion when it first came out, I was a lot younger then, and it never really wowed me. I'm a far bigger cynic of live albums now so I wouldn't recommend it. I think Past Lives is a far better (double) live album. Here's a snippet:

Old
10-24-2011, 05:48 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicism View Post
I bought Reunion when it first came out, I was a lot younger then, and it never really wowed me. I'm a far bigger cynic of live albums now so I wouldn't recommend it. I think Past Lives is a far better (double) live album. Here's a snippet:

This is the same video I came here to post. Well done sir.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 08:07 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!

Gosh I feel stupid now for what I'm about to say, but I always thought "Past Lives" was just another Sabbath greatest hits studio track album. I had no idea up until just now (when I read your post cynicism) that it was a live double album. One that contains a bunch of tracks from that kick ass "Live In Paris 1970" show (that I posted earlier) on Disk 2 no less.

@ myself for being so cluelessly misinformed.

Old
10-25-2011, 05:08 AM
Chairman Maouth

First album I heard was Master of Reality. I thought that was some messed up ****. Then I heard Paranoid and got it.

Favourite songs

Paranoid
Planet Caravan
Rat Salad
Jack the Stripper/Fairies Wear Boots

Sweet Leaf

Supernaut

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
A National Acrobat
Sabbra Cadabra

Hole in the Sky
Megalomania
The Writ (I still get a charge out of the quiet beginning that all of a sudden blasts you off your chair)

After Sabotage not much appealed to me anymore.

10-25-2011, 05:30 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!

So I scooped up a copy of Black Sabbath's "Past Lives" double disk live set just this afternoon from Amazon. I figured it's worth it automatically for the bunch of tracks from that kick ass "Live In Paris 1970" show on the second disk alone.

Kudos to you Cynicism for informing me about this album as I always thought "Past Lives" was just another Sabbath greatest hits album of studio tracks. I remember seeing it here in our record store (when we had one) years ago and thinking "why would anyone pay like $40 for yet another Sabbath greatest hits package when the early Sabbath albums are so cheap?"

Old
10-26-2011, 03:59 PM
cynicism

Always glad to be of service

I think the intro is one of the greatest riffs in Metal history

Old
10-26-2011, 06:42 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!

Is it wrong of me to say that the first 4 Sabbath albums > the rest?

In all my life I've never really dug any of their stuff after Volume 4.

Maybe hearing that Reunion album will change that?

Old
10-26-2011, 07:19 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Is it wrong of me to say that the first 4 Sabbath albums > the rest?

In all my life I've never really dug any of their stuff after Volume 4.

Maybe hearing that Reunion album will change that?
I really enjoyed the first 3 albums with RJD. Heaven And Hell, Mob Rules, and Dehumanizer are all excellent albums in my opinion.

The Devil You Know had its moments. And I don't care what anyone says..despite the band name on the cover, it's certainly a Sabbath album.

Oh, and TYR is a good album too. There are some underrated gems from the Tony Martin era.

Habsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 07:51 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
I really enjoyed the first 3 albums with RJD. Heaven And Hell, Mob Rules, and Dehumanizer are all excellent albums in my opinion.

The Devil You Know had its moments. And I don't care what anyone says..despite the band name on the cover, it's certainly a Sabbath album.

Oh, and TYR is a good album too. There are some underrated gems from the Tony Martin era.
As tremendously talented as he was, I've never liked RJD's vocals. And I've only heard a handful of the Tony Martin era but didn't like it either.

To me, the definitive peak of Sabbath was their first 4 albums.

Maybe I just prefer their heavier, doomier, darker, stuff, or maybe I'm just picky?

Old
10-27-2011, 10:55 AM
Disclose

vCash: 1000
never say die... not enough love for this song. one of their best.

Disclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 01:43 PM
Jevo

Quote:
As tremendously talented as he was, I've never liked RJD's vocals. And I've only heard a handful of the Tony Martin era but didn't like it either.

Maybe I just prefer their heavier, doomier, darker, stuff, or maybe I'm just picky?
I feel the same way as you. RJD was a very talented singer, no doubt there. But I just never really liked the style of music that it seems to usually be accompanied with.

I also agree with the first four > the rest. I think there is a more distinctive style change from Vol. 4 to Sabbath Bloody Sabbath than in any of the 4 before that. For me personally it was a change for the worse. I really like the heavy dark sound they have on the first four albums. But with Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and what I have heard of their stuff after that, they took a turn to softer and less dark stuff, which I don't think they execute as well.
I don't think you are being picky. For me the albums after Vol 4. just don't posses the sound that I love, that got me hooked on Sabbath when I first heard the Black Sabbath and Paranoid albums.

Just for the record, I am not some guy who swears by the albums he brought from Sabbath when he was young and they first came out. I only started listening to Sabbath 2 or 3 years ago, but give me a break, I'm only 18 and I didn't have a metalhead dad to show me the light (or darkness?) of metal, so I had to find that my self.

Jevo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 04:42 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynicism View Post
Tony Martin >>>>> Ray Gillen.

Oh, and although not a very good album, I loved the title track from Forbidden.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 10-27-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old
10-27-2011, 04:50 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:

You didn't enjoy Sabbath Bloody Sabbath or Sabotage? I think both albums are pretty underrated. SBS is one of my favorite Sabbath albums. Seems like most Sabbath discussion centers around the first 4 albums.

Old
10-27-2011, 07:24 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
You didn't enjoy Sabbath Bloody Sabbath or Sabotage? I think both albums are pretty underrated. SBS is one of my favorite Sabbath albums. Seems like most Sabbath discussion centers around the first 4 albums.
I for one am much more a fan of those than Vol. 4. It's the first 6 which are notable for me.

Old
10-28-2011, 09:08 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!

Just a quick question about Sabbath's double disk "Reunion" album.

Was it overdubbed in the studio afterwards to fix up any mistakes? I've read that some people are saying yes, but then I also read that the album booklet says no.

Anyone know for sure if it was or not?

Old
10-28-2011, 04:19 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!

Just got my CD copy of "Past Lives" in the mail and am about to give it a listen.

Edit: My copy of the 2nd disk skips alot during the middle and end of the song "Black Sabbath". I dunno if it's just because my CD burner in my PC sucks (I had ripped both disks to my PC to listen to them), or do all of the 2nd disks have this problem. I cleaned the disk off in case of dust, and still am getting the same problem. Will try the disk in my actual stereo later.

Double edit: The 2nd disk works fine in my CD player thank goodness. I guess my CD burner just sucks.

Last edited by MetalheadPenguinsFan: 10-28-2011 at 06:20 PM.