HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time for a new coach?

Old
10-23-2011, 07:59 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

vCash: 500
I've never been a big Torts fan.

But going 2-2-2 only 6 games into a season that has started on a ridiculous road trip that has literally taken the team halfway across the world with the team's number 1 and number 4 defensemen out of the lineup - and people want to fire the coach?

I know it hasn't been that much fun to watch, but any six game stretch is not enough to start these conversations, much less the first six games of the season under the circumstances they've faced. I wanted Laviolette when Renney was fired. Now that Torts is here, however, it's going to take a lot more than a 2-2-2 stretch to get him fired. (As it should!)

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 08:16 AM
mullichicken25

One more note

2009 the rangers started out 7-1

How'd that season play out?

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 08:19 AM
MAYO

Alrighty, so I just finished watching the game that I recorded from last night. I agree with some that think that it may be too premature to lay blame on Torts. But there's soooooo much going on here that you have to point fingers his way. The constant line juggling is bloody tiresome for 1. Also, what was the need to pick up Rupp if a guy like Prust is going to have to take on a guy like Sutton?!!? Then, why have EC on the power play in the third period? And without getting into another Avery conversation here, some of the players have gone on record claiming they miss having him around, if you ask me, I think they may not appreciate how Torts handled the way he got rid of him which makes me believe he's put himself in a position that these guys simply don't want to play for him anymore!

MAYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 08:35 AM
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream

Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Welp, this was bound to start - and, at this point, I wouldn't exactly be opposed to it.

The team knows the "meat & potatoes" of hockey. However, they need to play a much, much, much smarter game - they are playing a very dumbed down game at this point, and while that may have worked for a team such as last year's team, a team that has to play that way to win, it won't work for a team that can win with offensive talent alone, and, honestly, this team's top-6 should be able to carry the offense.

Get a tactical coach. Someone who can teach these players to think outside the box, try new things, not the same dump, chase, lose race, repeat.
WE MUST ACQUIRE THE LARGE ONE FROM WASHINGTON!!! btw i love ur avatar

Ave Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 08:43 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

If Dan Bylsma was coaching this team this board would eventually complain about him.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:01 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemarkmessier View Post
Like how Joe Torre was great for the Yankees won many World Series but lost 120 games every year while managing the Mets? Torts isnt the right guy fro the Rangers. I want Messier!!!
Messier? Tell me his system.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:03 AM
FATCHAMALA11
Kneel Before Zod

I never wanted this grumpy midget here in the first place. The guy is a huge child, just look at last night after the game. I'm not taking any questions waaaaahhh.. Grow up and leave lines together for more than 5 minutes. I'll take boring Renney back any time.

FATCHAMALA11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:04 AM
Vitto79

so we all realize they are going to win like 3 in a row and all of a sudden things will be ok again right?

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:12 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

I don't buy into the whole "it's on the players" thing. Let's not forget that this was the same team (without Richards) who last season scored 6 and 7 and 8 goals in certain games -- against Philly and Washington no less.

The talent and skill are there. The motivation and game strategies are not.

Sorry, but I can't see how getting outshot by a 2:1 margin after 40 minutes against the friggin Oilers doesnt scream lack of preperation and the inability to adapt to the game conditions. That right there is 100pct on the coach and his staff. If the players are lazy and not receptive, then you arent doing your job as a manager/boss/coach whatever.

Staal and Sauer being healthy wouldnt have changed a thing yesterday. They were outhustled, outhit, outshot and outsmarted.

We tried the passive, nice guy, boring approach with Renney and it got old.

If a Tortarella-coached team isn't outworking the other team and applying pressure from all areas of the ice, then they're basically useless.

Here's a question: did you guys ever notice how every team we play against will pass to their point men on a cycle and that very point man will actually SHOOT THE PUCK?

Our forwards never, ever, ever ever look for the point man on a cycle. And when they do, the d-men dump it in or shoot wide to avoid a block. Josh Gorges scored a goal yesterday by throwing a 45-MPH dying duck at the net from just inside the blue line.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:03 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

faaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrr too early for this. Rangers are a 2 game winning streak away from having home ice in the playoffs (yeah, its too early for THAT too...but since we're on the subject...)

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:16 AM
dethomas07

torts is a great coach.. he gets the most out of his players..but give me a break we're 6 games into the season and everyones freaking out...we have 76 more games to play... teams can't win every game and after one loss everyone says fire torts, pack line sucks, we need avery, christian has no heart.. same **** after every loss.. RELAX once we get sauer and staal back that will solidify our back end and get everyone rolling again

dethomas07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:24 AM
Groot
I am Groot.

So after every loss are we gonna get this thread, seriously we still have 76 games left, imo I'm happy with the western Canadian trip so far, I expected us to win 2 of the 3 games, it takes time to build chemistry and whatnot, god this board is so ****ing bipolar at times, you guys wouldn't be happy if we went 82-0.

Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:27 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
One more note

This. 6 games on the NHL schedule is equal to roughly 1/14th of the entire season. In football, 1/14th of the season would be basically one game. Would you guys call for Rex Ryan or Tom Coughlin to be fired after one game?

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:30 AM
ciggy

now is the time.. remember you can't fire the players.

ciggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:31 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
He pissed me off last night separating Gaborik and Richards by throwing Gaborik on the second line to give our second line a "jump start." Really, wtf is that? I don't even understand how that even makes sense. Even if Gaborik does score or get an assist, he doesn't play on that line and it's illogical to think that would improve anything for everyone else on that line if Gaborik is only temporary. Richards and Gaborik are point per gme players-- at the least-- if you keep them together for the whole game.

Dumb.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:36 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
One more note

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
faaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrr too early for this. Rangers are a 2 game winning streak away from having home ice in the playoffs (yeah, its too early for THAT too...but since we're on the subject...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
This. 6 games on the NHL schedule is equal to roughly 1/14th of the entire season. In football, 1/14th of the season would be basically one game. Would you guys call for Rex Ryan or Tom Coughlin to be fired after one game?
Reasoning.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:40 AM
ciggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
He pissed me off last night separating Gaborik and Richards by throwing Gaborik on the second line to give our second line a "jump start." Really, wtf is that? I don't even understand how that even makes sense. Even if Gaborik does score or get an assist, he doesn't play on that line and it's illogical to think that would improve anything for everyone else on that line if Gaborik is only temporary. Richards and Gaborik are point per gme players-- at the least-- if you keep them together for the whole game.

Dumb.
exactly, and lets not forget his decision to sit woywitka for Bell who ended up given up winning goal.... why fix something that isn't broken, FIRE TORTS NOW

ciggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:42 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Unfortunately, I can't lock threads entirely on the premise of them being far premature.

If we get to the trade deadline and are well outside the playoffs, I'll be with the fire Torts thing. But 6 games in, not a chance. Not if we were 0-6-0

10-23-2011, 10:43 AM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrik4vezina30 View Post
So after every loss are we gonna get this thread, seriously we still have 76 games left, imo I'm happy with the western Canadian trip so far, I expected us to win 2 of the 3 games, it takes time to build chemistry and whatnot, god this board is so ****ing bipolar at times, you guys wouldn't be happy if we went 82-0.
Yup get used to it

bubba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:43 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
henrik is the only reason the guy still has a job
All things aside, this is 100% true. If Hank was even just an average goalie, Tortorella probably would've lost his job LAST year.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:45 AM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post

Dumb.

and he has been doing that crap since he got here and is one of the things that has annoyed me since came back. So my opinion of him is based on more than the 6 games this season and is not reactionary at all. I have had enough of his line juggling his dump and chase bs that doesn't and hasn't worked since he got here and his hypocrisy when it comes to accountability.

The season is early and I am not on a ledge or giving up on the season but Torts tenure has pretty much run its course with me.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:45 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciggy View Post
exactly, and lets not forget his decision to sit woywitka for Bell who ended up given up winning goal.... why fix something that isn't broken, FIRE TORTS NOW
Yes let's fire him based on one decision, in one game out of 82. Come on man.

Old
10-23-2011, 10:47 AM
mullichicken25

We totaly should have won the the cup four times this season already!!1!1

Omgz fire torts!11

Avery would have had 15 goalz if torts gave him a shot!1!!

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:47 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
If we don't make it past the 1st round, Torts is gone. And Sather should be as well.
Yeah and that's how far it's going to go. Torts isn't getting canned unless we don't make the playoffs or do and don't go pass the first round. He's got the whole season to go, so we better get used to him.

The only way I can possibly envision him being fired before that point is if we are doing absolutely horrible at the midway point of the season. And there's no way Sather goes anywhere no matter what we do. Unless he dies.

RMcDonagh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:48 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
and he has been doing that crap since he got here and is one of the things that has annoyed me since came back. So my opinion of him is based on more than the 6 games this season and is not reactionary at all. I have had enough of his line juggling his dump and chase bs that doesn't and hasn't worked since he got here and his hypocrisy when it comes to accountability.

The season is early and I am not on a ledge or giving up on the season but Torts tenure has pretty much run its course with me.
When have we had a number one center during Torts tenure? Who has this team iced during Torts' tenure that can consistently put the puck in the net, besides Gaborik?