HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time for a new coach?

Old
10-23-2011, 12:52 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
It was never time for this coach.

Still, he's here now, and it's insanely early to consider firing him at this point.
Agreed on all parts...I was a big Laviolette guy to replace Renney way back when.

I also agree that it's too early to consider firing him, however later in the season Sather might have to take a look at that situation. Although it pains me to say it at this point I think Torts is SO glued into the organization that even if the Rangers miss the playoffs this season I'd be surprised if Torts isn't kept around.

silverfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:55 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Agreed on all parts...I was a big Laviolette guy to replace Renney way back when.
I was with you there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
I also agree that it's too early to consider firing him, however later in the season Sather might have to take a look at that situation. Although it pains me to say it at this point I think Torts is SO glued into the organization that even if the Rangers miss the playoffs this season I'd be surprised if Torts isn't kept around.
I dunno, with everyone talking about how high expectations were going into this season, I think missing the playoffs by any substantial margin (5+ points) would mean Torts getting canned. If we miss by 1 point, or by a tiebreaker, or something, I could see them hanging on to him.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:58 PM
smoneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrik4vezina30 View Post
I guess leading the team in points is nothing....
Not that I'm ready to bag on Richards yet, but three of his four assists are of the secondary variety. In most other leagues, he'd have two points, not five. From what I've seen (and to be fair, I wasn't able to watch the Isles or Ducks games), Richards hasn't been playing much better than Dubinsky. I'm fairly certain that both players will get better as the season goes on.

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:59 PM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Regarding the press conference - did anybody actually need further explanation of what the team did badly after watching that full game?
What he said was true. The team stunk. THe issue I have always had with him is that when the spotlight turns on him and the team stunk, he simply refuses to answer anything. That is part of the job. He preaches accountability and he never holds himself accountable. You may say he is not accountable to the media, but the manner in which he simply dismisses the idea that he has any obligation whatsoever to answer a question about what happened during a game is disrespectful to the team, the fans, and the game itself.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:03 PM
Maaxse

We are one victory away of being in the first half of the league's standings.
We are one victory away to be just under a point of the Flyers.

We had a long euro trip and haven't played home yet. Relax.

Sharks, Bruins, Preds are in a similar or worst position as it stands. Yet they are good teams too.

Maaxse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:04 PM
OverTheCap

When the Rangers play like crap and the fans/media are focusing more on what Torts did or didn't say instead of the team, Torts has done his job. He deflects attention away from the team.

Here's what Feaster said about Torts a few days ago:

Quote:
That same year, the Bolts had been eviscerated 6-2 in Game 2 of the '04 Eastern Conference finals by the Flyers, and were heading into Philadelphia a trifle unsure.

"So Torts made himself the story. Rather than anyone talking about Nik (Khabibulin) or about how badly we'd played, the focus was on that Shut Your Yap-Gate! with Hitch (Flyers coach Ken Hitchcock). All premeditated. He's a master at manipulating situations in his team's best interests.''
Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...#ixzz1bd4uwYeW

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:07 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Kirk Muller.

Would be very happy to see him as coach.

But, for now, I don't see Torts going anywhere.

If this team is still >.500 in 3-4 weeks, then maybe...but, until then, we'll have to make due with Torts, IMO.
I like Muller, but the one beef I would have was that he was an all star. It seems like these former star players (Niewendyk, Hull, Yzerman, etc..) make better front office heads than bench bosses.

That being said, I think he's def. paid his dues. It seems like he's been an asst. coach for almost 10 years.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:12 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

I just saw that HBO isnt filming until Dec. 1. NYDN is right -- that locker room is more interesting after losses.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:24 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
Jim Schoenfeld
Why is he an option, let alone an attractive option?

10-23-2011, 01:25 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
I didn't want Renney fired. I can't see why you fire Torts now.

What's been the one constant in the last 11 years?

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 10-23-2011 at 01:43 PM.
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:27 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SML View Post
What he said was true. The team stunk. THe issue I have always had with him is that when the spotlight turns on him and the team stunk, he simply refuses to answer anything. That is part of the job. He preaches accountability and he never holds himself accountable. You may say he is not accountable to the media, but the manner in which he simply dismisses the idea that he has any obligation whatsoever to answer a question about what happened during a game is disrespectful to the team, the fans, and the game itself.
He didn't say "they sucked" he said "we sucked." I don't see why he has to answer stupid/obvious press questions just to be "accountable." He's accountable to Slats, not Steve Zipay and Larry Brooks.

I really don't see how it's "disrespectful" to anyone. He wasn't going to sit there and throw players under the bus, and there really wasn't anything to say beyond what he said.

I can understand getting on Torts for the on-ice product, but I have absolutely no problem with him blowing off the media after a game like this.

Old
10-23-2011, 01:28 PM
Maaxse

I do wish we had Dale Tallon instead.

Old
10-23-2011, 01:31 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maaxse View Post
I do wish we had Dale Tallon instead.
He's a GM....

Old
10-23-2011, 01:32 PM
Maaxse

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
He's a GM....
Yes, instead of Sather.

Old
10-23-2011, 01:33 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Yes, instead of Sather.
You should go dig up the ol' "Fire Sather" thread.

Old
10-23-2011, 01:35 PM
Maaxse

am i the only who think it is too early to panick ?

Old
10-23-2011, 01:46 PM
chip chipperson*

im not a big torts guy anymore strictly because of the line juggling, screaming and personnel choices he makes. but i dont want him fired. and who ****ing cares what he says or doesnt say in a post game interview? it has nothing to do with actually coaching.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:08 PM
ilovemarkmessier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
Messier? Tell me his system.

His system is he is a winner man.

ilovemarkmessier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:13 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Quote:
am i the only who think it is too early to panick ?
I agree if by "panic" you mean the "abandon ship!" mentality of some, but, IMO, it's never too early to be concerned about the team's performance -- and in each of the games thus far this season, I, personally, have been concerned, and that's not a good sign, Staal or no Staal, Sauer or no Sauer, home game or no home game.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:14 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemarkmessier View Post
His system is he is a winner man.
So was Bryan Trottier -- how did he work out as a coach at the NHL level?

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:15 PM
ilovemarkmessier

In all serious this guy has done a bad job with this team. The shifting of line mates costs us the ability to score much needed goals. Keeping WW up here and EC instead of Avery was just retarted and these kind of moves make you really queston what the problem is here. There hasnt been one game this year in which we as Ranger fans felt confident like we were gonna score some goals . There has been no creativity on offense at all. Alot of the reason why is cause these guys arent comfortable playing with each other. He did it last year too taking a super hot pack line and breaking it up. Enoughs enough I have trouble watching these games. Honestly I find the Islanders more interesting to watch at this point. Sather done a great job building this team alot of good players drafted which is very refreshing for a long time Rangers fan. However he did drop the ball on Prospel.

ilovemarkmessier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:33 PM
darko

darko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 03:03 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
YEAR GP W L OTL PTs Win % Point~ Finish Playoff W Playoff L PO Win % Result
2008–09 21 12 7 2 26 .571 1.24 4th in Atlantic 3 4 .429 Lost East QF
2009–10 82 38 33 11 87 .463 1.06 4th in Atlantic -- -- -- Did not qualify
2010–11 82 44 33 5 93 .535 1.13 3rd in Atlantic 1 4 .200 Lost East QF
2011-12 6 2 2 2 6 .333 1.00 5th in Atlantic -- -- ?? Do or die
NYR TOTAL 191 96 75 20 212 .502 1.11 ___ 4 8 .333 -

John Tortorellas results as head coach - so far...

BBKers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 04:13 PM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Why is he an option, let alone an attractive option?
Because he has been with the organization since 2003, he knows the organization and the players so it would likely be a smooth transition, much easier than bringing someone in from outside. I am in no way endorsing him, simply suggesting him as an option in reply to the german way of war who said there was no one available.

And as far as all the panicking, bridge jumping bs people love to shout about, I don't think it is appropriate here. I think most people who want Torts gone are ones that haven't liked him for some time. I think if the team looks as flat during this upcoming homestand as they have during the roadtrip a few more people might come over to the dark side and start looking at Tort as a problem instead of a solution.

And enough with the injury excuse. The pens lost Crosby and Malkin last year and did pretty well. The Bruins lost Savard and I believe they had a pretty decent season last year. Losing Staal hurts, but every team has injuries, enough of that excuse. The roadtrip is a legitimate excuse because it has been brutal, so this upcoming homestand is big and the first game will be a tough one.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 04:15 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
Because he has been with the organization since 2003, he knows the organization and the players so it would likely be a smooth transition, much easier than bringing someone in from outside. I am in no way endorsing him, simply suggesting him as an option in reply to the poster who said there was no one available.

And as far as all the panicking, bridge jumping bs people love to shout about, I don't think it is appropriate here. I think most people who want Torts gone are ones that haven't liked him for some time. I think if the team looks as flat during this upcoming homestand as they have during the roadtrip a few more people might come over to the dark side and start looking at Tort as a problem instead of a solution.

And enough with the injury excuse. The pens lost Crosby and Malkin last year and did pretty well. The Bruins lost Savard and I believe they had a pretty decent season last year. Losing Staal hurts, but every team has injuries, enough of that excuse. The roadtrip is a legitimate excuse because it has been brutal, so this upcoming homestand is big and the first game will be a tough one.

Is Torts real problem unfamiliarity with the system?

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 10-23-2011 at 04:34 PM.
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote