HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3 Stars & GBR: Game 06 @ Edmonton Oilers

View Poll Results: 3 Stars?
Brian Boyle 3 3.75%
Ryan Callahan 1 1.25%
Michael Del Zotto 3 3.75%
Brandon Dubinsky 2 2.50%
Steve Eminger 2 2.50%
Tim Erixon 2 2.50%
Ruslan Fedotenko 1 1.25%
Marian Gaborik 48 60.00%
Dan Girardi 14 17.50%
Henrik Lundqvist 56 70.00%
Ryan McDonagh 6 7.50%
Brandon Prust 12 15.00%
Brad Richards 4 5.00%
Derek Stepan 5 6.25%
Other 7 8.75%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-23-2011, 08:20 AM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

vCash: 500
Early in the year with ridiculous travel and no home games. So far Lundqvist is the only reason we don't look like a lottery team. Things will get better.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 08:50 AM
beastly115

I voted Lundqvist and Gaborik.

The good: Nothing

The bad: Pack line, 2nd and 3rd defensive pairings

The Redden: Torts "system" and line juggling

I'm starting to think ODC is correct regarding Torts. Tortorella hates offense.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:01 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Was that hockey we played last night? ****ing garbage. That 5-on-3 was something else... Bahahaha.

Yikes.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:15 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9Y4R View Post
Early in the year with ridiculous travel and no home games. So far Lundqvist is the only reason we don't look like a lottery team. Things will get better.
I think we are tired, tired of traveling and just plain tired. Hopefully some home game energy will lead to a healthy winning streak.

10-23-2011, 10:17 AM
ak10r

We’re one win away from being cup contenders here in our threads…..

We are a better team than the last few years…. Don’t cut your wrist yet.

If we lost and were playing to our potential then we would have something to worry about. We are a much better team.

The team has pretty much been on the road for almost a month now…… they will come around.

ak10r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:40 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I think it's obvious we need another scoring threat to consistently win games.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 11:05 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
You are right, but the record is deceiving. They aren't playing well, end of story. It is still early and they have plenty of time to turn it around but they just don't look good and I think that is the frustrating thing.
Yeah, but if they're able to find ways to win. Imagine what it'll be like when this team gets rested and is back to a normal schedule. I'm happy to see us grab wins no matter how it comes when we're not playing on top of our game.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 11:10 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Holy hell you people need to calm down. The Oilers were the better team tonight and not because they have more skill. What that looked like was what we used to do to opponents on good nights in the Jagr years (and go figure, Renney is their coach). Khabibulin played great, but the Oilers team D was absolutely outstanding tonight. A game like that doesn't worry me. We are now 2-1 on our western Canadian road trip. What'd you expect? To win all 4?
Please, the 2-1 record on this swing is not the result of good play by this team. If not for the Luongo melt down and the McD miracle OT goal, this team is probably tied with Columbus for last team to win a game....this team has yet to put together a full 60 minute effort.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 11:22 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedingBlueSince92 View Post
My thoughts on the game after only being able to watch the 3rd period:

-Del Zotto seems to lose every puck battle in the corners and along the walls, he doesn't make any glaring defensive mistakes but he's certainly not a plus to this team thus far.

- Dubinsky is really struggling in all aspects of his game, especially offensively. I'm 100% confident he'll get it back

-Callahan seems to have the same struggles and where as he usually wins a lot of the battles, he is recently losing every single one. Again, im confident he'll get it back

-Gaborik looks like a monster again. He's really been showing his speed so far this year.

-Richards is an amazing passer and pure playmaker, as time goes on he'll develop a greater chemistry with Gaborik.

-Tortarella is line juggling WAY too much IMO. He's also just benched 3 players for an entire period, unbelievably dumb. No wonder we're getting outskated to the puck, we're rolling 3 lines simply because our coach is stubborn.

-I believe the Rangers will play to their true identity once they return home. You can never underestimate what kind of spark the Garden faithful can provide.

- And finally, Henrik Lunqvist is the best goalie in the league, hands down. Idc what stats there are that prove other wise.
If things were going well offensively there would be no line juggling...but this team hasn't had a good game offensively yet this season

Old
10-23-2011, 11:24 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
The perspective is, we've been one elite goalie standing on his head away from a 0-6-0 record. The team has been that bad and Lundqvist has been that good. Even when the tactics might start working again, I see nothing but mediocrity from this team.

We're 27th in goals/ game, 30th in PP%, 29th in shots/ game, 25th in shots allowed (we were last before this evening) and 30th in taken penalties. The only categories we don't suck in are GAA (5th) and points in the standings. And the numbers don't lie, we've been that awful. Thanks Hank for making it look like this team hasn't been completely useless.

Best Post of the thread!

Old
10-23-2011, 12:40 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Had to watch this one on tape delay...what a ****ing pathetic performance.

Good - Gabby is playing like he cares, Hank was Hank (and isn't injured), and I also though Erixon had a good game.

Bad - Dubi? Cally? Hellloooo. The season has started, let's go.

Redden - We got shutout. And Corey Potter, really?

10-23-2011, 12:50 PM
alkurtz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Please, the 2-1 record on this swing is not the result of good play by this team. If not for the Luongo melt down and the McD miracle OT goal, this team is probably tied with Columbus for last team to win a game....this team has yet to put together a full 60 minute effort.
If we want to play the what if game, we could say that we should be 4-2. As poorly as we played in Sweden, we easily could have won both games.

Look, I certainly wasn't happy with the effort last night and we certainly are not yet hitting on all cylinders: no forechecking, no physical play, a disgustingly poor power play, etc. etc.

But the operative philosophy is play .500 on the road and win a majority of your games at home.

We have not played a single home game yet!

Lets see where we are after we play a few games at home. If things have not improved by then, I think everyone would say that we need to reevaluate the team.
Not yet, not now.

We're all upset, Torts is livid. as he should be. There are certainly danger signs to be worked on, but lets not abandon ship yet. The calendar only says October.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:02 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
If we want to play the what if game, we could say that we should be 4-2. As poorly as we played in Sweden, we easily could have won both games.

Look, I certainly wasn't happy with the effort last night and we certainly are not yet hitting on all cylinders: no forechecking, no physical play, a disgustingly poor power play, etc. etc.

But the operative philosophy is play .500 on the road and win a majority of your games at home.

We have not played a single home game yet!

Lets see where we are after we play a few games at home. If things have not improved by then, I think everyone would say that we need to reevaluate the team.
Not yet, not now.

We're all upset, Torts is livid. as he should be. There are certainly danger signs to be worked on, but lets not abandon ship yet. The calendar only says October.
I'll ask the question do you think this team has played a good full 60 minute game in any of the 6 played so far?

Old
10-23-2011, 01:04 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0flames View Post
I honestly need to take a break from these boards. When the team is doing alright, they're usually fine, but the rage and blame that's going around is just too much.

This is not a bad team. If this team PLAYS like it's supposed to, or rather what it's capable of, it's quite the force. But even the best teams don't play the best.

I'm so insanely sick of everything that goes wrong being blamed on John Tortorella. Players aren't doing well? Blame Torts. Powerplay takes one shot every two minutes? Blame Torts? We have one of the best PKs in the league? Well that's all the players right there, that's what it is.

AND THE CONFIRMATION BIAS

I'm not a massive Torts fan. I like his attitude, and i like the way he's helped to shape the club. But he can't be blamed for every little thing you don't want to blame on the players. And i swear, the way the word clown is thrown around, i'm want to scrape my eyes out. some of this **** is unbearable.

and Finally, let's not pretend anybody wants christensen on the team any more than we do. Avery's gone, he's not coming back, and with the way penalties are being called at the moment, we should all be kissing the feet of whoever made the decision, because if he WAS in the line up, we'd have an extra 2-3 penalties a game.

The Pack line needs to get going. They did a bit better today, Dubi had some alright chances, and Cally had what was the Rangers best shot on goal of the game. Today was a bad day for puck battles, which is what we need to win to win a game.

This is not a bad team. The just played like one.

/RANT
You sir, are my hero.

The Torts blame is mind-numbingly stupid most of the time. Anything that goes wrong is his fault and everything that goes well is thanks to the players. He didn't want to wallow and point out that every single facet of the game aside from Gaborik and Hank was crap? What a clown. That 60 minutes of horrible play didn't make it obvious enough what the problems are - I want him to stand there in front of mics and spell each one out letter by letter. People are insane with their hate for him. He is officially the new team scapegoat.

Everyone is up in arms about having too many grinders but nobody seems to mention that Prust, a prototypical grinder, has been one of our best and most consistent players. This isn't a video game, folks, the "player type" ala NHL 12 means nothing - this is reality. An effective player is an effective player regardless of anything else.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:08 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

I didn't see much of the game, which I guess was a good thing.

I had the third period on TV but couldn't really pay attention because my friend from Binghamton was up visiting last night.

What I did see, however, was Brandon Prust on the first line with Richards and Gabby and on the top power play unit. Someone please tell me my eyes were playing tricks on me?

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:14 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
I'll ask the question do you think this team has played a good full 60 minute game in any of the 6 played so far?
Do they have to? They've got half the possible points available on a 6 game road trip across continents and all of north america. Im ok with this. and willing to allow home games and time for the team to put together an actual 1st period. The pack line is the key here they've blown so far

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:24 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyStart View Post
Do they have to? They've got half the possible points available on a 6 game road trip across continents and all of north america. Im ok with this. and willing to allow home games and time for the team to put together an actual 1st period. The pack line is the key here they've blown so far
Yeah I think they have to...or closer to 60 minutes then they have to date. Isn't that what good teams do?

Old
10-23-2011, 01:33 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post

I had the third period on TV but couldn't really pay attention because my friend from Binghamton was up visiting last night.

What I did see, however, was Brandon Prust on the first line with Richards and Gabby and on the top power play unit. Someone please tell me my eyes were playing tricks on me?
They were not. Prust ended the game on the first line. However, Prust was one of the only forwards who was putting forth serious effort shift after shift so it wasn't a bad idea.

Not to mention Prust is tied for second on this team in points. Tied with Gaborik and McD. Weird. I could have sworn we had too many grinders and they were all useless...

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:36 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

They absolutely have to. It's easy to look at a 6 game sample and say "hey thats not so bad", but extrapolate that out and it's alarming. To start the season we haven't seen at least 1 60 minute effort. That has to change quickly.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:41 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post

When everyone else (to a man) is absolute garbage, who else are you going to put on your top line but the only other guy who was anywhere near effective?

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:42 PM
alkurtz

Quote:
No, absolutely not. But I'm not ready to jump ship until after we play the same way at home.

alkurtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:36 PM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
It's pretty funny (ironic, not amusing) that you phrase it that way. The only 60 minute effort put in by ANY of their opponents was put in last night. It's really early in the season. There aren't many teams in the league who have found consistency yet.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:37 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Three stars?

10-23-2011, 02:44 PM
Tyrolean

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9Y4R View Post
Lots of teams have much worst travel schedules than the Rangers and seem to be doing ok so that is not an excuse.

Tyrolean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:50 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
No, absolutely not. But I'm not ready to jump ship until after we play the same way at home.
Well I've been watching this team for 30 years...not jumping ship...but not gonna blow smoke up anyones ass either