HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospal Interview: Nationwide Arena Country Club

Old
10-22-2011, 11:44 PM
Pluckfur

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanabijou View Post
Getting to this story late....long day at work.

I'm too lazy to go back and quote the posts that I'd give props to, but I don't know why a few jumped on Nash to be traded or stripped of the 'C' because of this quote.

As Cougar alluded to, Foote was the prototypical SOB in-your-face type of guy and it wasn't like wins magically appeared because of that. I don't have any issues with Nash not throwing people under the bus in the media or screaming at players - that's not his personality and it would come across as forced. Ideally, you have other guys on the team who are comfortable with this, and Prospal may be that guy.

I think some people put way too much importance on who's wearing the 'C'. There's no reason whatsoever that someone like Vinnie or Umberger can't lay down the law without the situation becoming 'OMG, Nash can't be captain'. People think the team would change overnight if you stitched a 'C' on Prospal?

There's clearly some players on the team who are going through the motions. I have a pretty good idea who (probably a good correlation to this year's stat sheet), and that is who Prospal is giving the gears to. I think it's great Vinnie is doing it, and he has more street cred in terms of experience AND as a leading scorer on the team (unlike say Moreau or Rivet) to make some noise.

My take on reading Vinnie's comments: I put the blame where it lies - the players who are loafing. After that, I put it on Arniel and Howson to get rid of these players if it continues. Clearly, they have shown they are capable of this based on the treatment of Commodore last year. Hopefully this is the wake-up call they need.
God forbid Nash's behavior seem "forced." The horror, the horror!

If we want Nash to be the provisional figurehead - The Face of the Franchise - fine, no one genuinely cares about a meaningless titular mantle. But, clearly, Rick Nash has no clue how to lead this club - C or no C - his captaincy has been a pitiful and fruitless exercise in futility. Nash, like his GM, is not a visionary leader of men.

Pluckfur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 11:51 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluckfur View Post
God forbid Nash's behavior seem "forced." The horror, the horror!

If we want Nash to be the provisional figurehead - The Face of the Franchise - fine, no one genuinely cares about a meaningless titular mantle. But, clearly, Rick Nash has no clue how to lead this club - C or no C - his captaincy has been a pitiful and fruitless exercise in futility. Nash, like his GM, is not a visionary leader of men.
Damn, I checked all of your spelling and it was correct, so where the points as well....

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:33 AM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Take the "C" and NO ONE gets until they've proven they deserve it.... It sets a dangerous precedent to give something to someone that they didn't earn, be it in life or pro sports.

Thats been one of my biggest pet peeves about this franchise, No one has really ever done the work during the season to EARN the "C". Things have been handed to certain members of this franchise with some latter ones afraid to speak out against the establishment.

Last edited by KeithBWhittington: 10-23-2011 at 07:48 AM.
KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:37 PM
leesmith
Still in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
Take the "C" and NO ONE gets until they've proven they deserve it.... It sets a dangerous precedent to give something to someone that they didn't earn, be it in life or pro sports.

Thats been one of my biggest pet peeves about this franchise, No one has really ever done the work during the season to EARN the "C". Things have been handed to certain members of this franchise with some latter ones afraid to speak out against the establishment.
THere's a concept! "Earn It!"

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:53 PM
Kev22

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
THere's a concept! "Earn It!"
To be fair, we are "earning" the top pick in the next draft.

Kev22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:54 PM
KeithBWhittington
Going North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
To be fair, we are "earning" the top pick in the next draft.
....And the BPA is slated to be a Russian.... Just our luck....

KeithBWhittington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:33 PM
wahsnairb

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithBWhittington View Post
....And the BPA is slated to be a Russian.... Just our luck....
i hate that people keep saying this and saying that we would ruin him... it's so much easier to make the 1st or 2nd overall pick than it is the 4th-12th or wherever we have always picked from (with the exception of nash who we traded up to take).. especially when it is a consensus #1 and/or top 2.

wahsnairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:11 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

I don't honestly think we'll wind up with the top pick. There's too much left for this team to prove; and I really feel we're better than at least 10-12 other teams in this league. That being said, we will likely end up with a top-8 pick again. My top 8 right now?

1. Nail Yakupov - not as big on him as everyone else is, actually I prefer his teammate in many ways...
2. Alex Galchenyuk - Yakupov's linemate. Reminds a lot of us scouting types of Evgeni Malkin at the same age ... very high ceiling.
3. Ryan Murray - this has to be the #1 guy on our list. He's out right now with a high ankle sprain, but this guy has franchise/elite type defenseman written all over him. An incredible player - was named the captain of his junior team at 17 years old.
4. Mikhail Grigorenko - Another Russian, it's a high possibility that we have Russians taken with all of the top three picks. Nice skillset here, but he's not for us, IMO.
5. Nick Ebert - Another defenseman that I'd love for the Jackets to get their greasy palms on. He oozes offensive potential, while also showing capable two-way play.
6. Griffin Reinhart - Could wind up being the second best defenseman to come out of this draft. He's a raw project, but reminds a lot of people of (you guessed it) Chris Pronger at the same age. Love the toughness and no-nonsense attitude.
7. Filip Forsberg - Skilled winger with a lot of offensive upside and all of the right tangibles. Could be a real sleeper, like Mika Zibanejad, come draft day.
8. Matt Dumba - Might get over-exposed before the draft, which will only benefit him, IMO. I don't think he has the top-end pro potential of guys like Murray, Ebert, or Reinhart - so I'd love to see this guy on a deep NHL depth chart, to allow him to develop. People say Dion Phaneuf, but I see more of a PK Subban or James Wisniewski here.

For the love of God, if we have a dismal season, please allow us to have Ryan Murray. This kid would step into our top-4 and be successful immediately, much the same way Drew Doughty was with the Kings. This kid has stood out since his first shift in the WHL.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:22 PM
5StringBuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
I don't honestly think we'll wind up with the top pick. There's too much left for this team to prove; and I really feel we're better than at least 10-12 other teams in this league. That being said, we will likely end up with a top-8 pick again. My top 8 right now?

1. Nail Yakupov - not as big on him as everyone else is, actually I prefer his teammate in many ways...
2. Alex Galchenyuk - Yakupov's linemate. Reminds a lot of us scouting types of Evgeni Malkin at the same age ... very high ceiling.
3. Ryan Murray - this has to be the #1 guy on our list. He's out right now with a high ankle sprain, but this guy has franchise/elite type defenseman written all over him. An incredible player - was named the captain of his junior team at 17 years old.
4. Mikhail Grigorenko - Another Russian, it's a high possibility that we have Russians taken with all of the top three picks. Nice skillset here, but he's not for us, IMO.
5. Nick Ebert - Another defenseman that I'd love for the Jackets to get their greasy palms on. He oozes offensive potential, while also showing capable two-way play.
6. Griffin Reinhart - Could wind up being the second best defenseman to come out of this draft. He's a raw project, but reminds a lot of people of (you guessed it) Chris Pronger at the same age. Love the toughness and no-nonsense attitude.
7. Filip Forsberg - Skilled winger with a lot of offensive upside and all of the right tangibles. Could be a real sleeper, like Mika Zibanejad, come draft day.
8. Matt Dumba - Might get over-exposed before the draft, which will only benefit him, IMO. I don't think he has the top-end pro potential of guys like Murray, Ebert, or Reinhart - so I'd love to see this guy on a deep NHL depth chart, to allow him to develop. People say Dion Phaneuf, but I see more of a PK Subban or James Wisniewski here.

For the love of God, if we have a dismal season, please allow us to have Ryan Murray. This kid would step into our top-4 and be successful immediately, much the same way Drew Doughty was with the Kings. This kid has stood out since his first shift in the WHL.
What you're saying makes sense to me. For all the talk about our depth in minors and juniors, I don't get a warm fuzzy feeling about defence. I get the impression that we don't have true elite talent waiting. The problem is going the be the same as it always is for us -- even if we get Murray, how long before he's ready? Do you think he's going to be NHL-ready for '12-'13, or will we be talking about the risk of ruining him (well, some folks will make that argument no matter what).

5StringBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:27 PM
wahsnairb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post

galchenyuk out a while with ACL tear or something and i agree murray has to be #1 target for us if we are not first overall

wahsnairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 02:02 PM
JACKETfan
Real Blue Jacketfan

I like Vinny as a player and I'm glad he's on the team.

But I don't get the fawning over Vinny's proposals, and assumption that he's saying anything new or dishing dirt. It's just more of the same ol' **** we hear from EVERY veteran who comes through the clubhouse.

...And it's said in EVERY clubhouse on every team that's trying to take it to the next level. If you don't believe me, read the interviews on those other teams (and read a few hockey history books).

Vinny is saying what most veterans say everywhere.

JACKETfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 02:44 PM
Matt

So they wheeled a chalk board onto the ice for some x's and O's this practice. The could have stopped by here and picked up one of my horse whips.

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 05:27 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5StringBuzz View Post
What you're saying makes sense to me. For all the talk about our depth in minors and juniors, I don't get a warm fuzzy feeling about defence. I get the impression that we don't have true elite talent waiting. The problem is going the be the same as it always is for us -- even if we get Murray, how long before he's ready? Do you think he's going to be NHL-ready for '12-'13, or will we be talking about the risk of ruining him (well, some folks will make that argument no matter what).
Ryan Murray will step immediately into the NHL next year, IMO, and be effective right away. He will be a 19 year old (late birthday) with already 3 full years of junior hockey under his belt. Two of those years as the captain of his team. He has a 6'1" 190 pound frame, a great shot from the point, smart passer/playmaker, and well above average in his own end. He would have been a top 3 pick had he been eligible for this year's draft (missed the cutoff by 12 days), and I think he could have even played in the NHL this year. In my 10+ seasons watching the WHL, he's the most solid, well-rounded prospect I've ever seen.

It's unfortunate that Galchenyuk will be going under the knife. I really believe he'd challenge for #1 overall in this draft if he had stayed healthy ... someone selecting a little later in the first round will find themselves with a heck of a steal. ACL injuries used to almost mean the end of a guy's career ... now you're seeing guys 100% normal again, just 9-10 months after the surgery. Jared Cowen is a prime example of this sort of thing.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote