HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Hockey Talk by Country
Hockey Talk by Country Talk about the other countries that are playing the world's greatest game!

Hockey in Europe and growth

Old
08-11-2011, 01:44 PM
Uncle Rotter

vCash: 500
So we are supposed to believe that if Sweden made the Handball final of next year's Olympics that it would draw higher TV ratings than the 2006 Olympic Hockey Final?

Uncle Rotter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 11:55 AM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rotter View Post
So we are supposed to believe that if Sweden made the Handball final of next year's Olympics that it would draw higher TV ratings than the 2006 Olympic Hockey Final?
Could be close.

But it's not 1A/1B with football and hockey in Sweden. Football is 1, Hockey is 2. And that's how it is. The Swedish Handball national team could compete with the 2 other sports (possibly beat Hockey?) when we had our golden age and each player we had was basically the best (and if not, top 3) on their position in the world. Since then we've had a new generation, which has not lived up to our old standard, and even though they are getting better for each year, we're not yet a legit contender to win anything big.

When/If we become that again, then the national handball team will be getting some good TV ratings again.

Jonimaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 04:30 PM
SurMartin

In northern Sweden (from Sundsvall and up) I think it would be something like:
1. Hockey - Swedish professional leagues
2. Football - International, Premier League, La liga, Serie A.
3. Hockey - International
4. Football -small local teams
Others worth mentioning: Wintersports (skiing etc), Floorball, Basketball, Fotbollsallsvenskan(?)

1 and 2 would probably switch depending on if you have an Elitserie-team nearby.

SurMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 05:12 PM
Ivan13
Problem child

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonimaus View Post
Could be close.

But it's not 1A/1B with football and hockey in Sweden. Football is 1, Hockey is 2. And that's how it is. The Swedish Handball national team could compete with the 2 other sports (possibly beat Hockey?) when we had our golden age and each player we had was basically the best (and if not, top 3) on their position in the world. Since then we've had a new generation, which has not lived up to our old standard, and even though they are getting better for each year, we're not yet a legit contender to win anything big.

When/If we become that again, then the national handball team will be getting some good TV ratings again.
Yes, Olsson, Wislander, Lindgren, Svensson, Hajas and Lovgren were a treat to watch for sure.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-12-2011, 05:55 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Names View Post
In northern Sweden (from Sundsvall and up) I think it would be something like:
1. Hockey - Swedish professional leagues
2. Football - International, Premier League, La liga, Serie A.
3. Hockey - International
4. Football -small local teams
Others worth mentioning: Wintersports (skiing etc), Floorball, Basketball, Fotbollsallsvenskan(?)

1 and 2 would probably switch depending on if you have an Elitserie-team nearby.
I guess you mean Allsvenskan?

Old
09-13-2011, 04:20 AM
SurMartin

Quote:
I guess you mean Allsvenskan?
I probably could have made that more clear, haha.
I mean: if you live in Umeå, for instance, then football probably comes first right now. If you live in Skellefteå, hockey's number one.
(Honestly: Sundsvall is the only city with a team in Allsvenskan up here and they sort of have a team in SEL too so I'd say Division 1 (SEL-3) is more popular up in the north.)

It all depends on the history and success of the sport in each town.
Almost every town in northern sweden have a history of hockey. It's part of the culture. Handball most certainly isn't.

SurMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2011, 09:45 AM
Jonimaus

Handball is not really a culture anywhere except Lund haha. And even here, teams doesn't really get that great attendance numbers.
I guess handball overall is on a decline. I mean in Lund, I'd say MFF is still more popular than all the handball teams.

Old
10-11-2011, 08:31 PM
Artemia

I think sports popularity should be measured in attendance numbers for the respective sports leagues.

Sure the women national handball teams gets a lot of coverage in Norway because we usually win whatever.

But there are more spectators at norwegian hockey games then either women's or men's top handball leagues. Almost twice as many as both leagues.

Looking only at attendance numbers hockey is second most popular teamsport in europe, ahead of basketball at 3rd. I'm sure many will be surprised at that.

Artemia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2011, 01:01 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemia View Post
I think sports popularity should be measured in attendance numbers for the respective sports leagues.

Sure the women national handball teams gets a lot of coverage in Norway because we usually win whatever.

But there are more spectators at norwegian hockey games then either women's or men's top handball leagues. Almost twice as many as both leagues.

Looking only at attendance numbers hockey is second most popular teamsport in europe, ahead of basketball at 3rd. I'm sure many will be surprised at that.
What's the source of those numbers? I'm not saying it's not true or anything, but I am interested in watching those statistics.

Old
10-16-2011, 03:54 PM
Egidijus

Send a message via MSN to Egidijus Send a message via Skype™ to Egidijus
It is very interesting topic,

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
I would like to know which countries hockey is number 1 in and the growth of the sport!
Lithuania
1A. Football
1B. Basketball
2. Hockey
Growth: Down?
I will update this frequently.
I think basketball here is 1. It attracts more people than football, it is more practised. Year ago 1004 Lithuanians were asked about favourite sport. 53 percents said it had been basketball and football as favourite sport was only for 8.6 percent of asked people. Sadly, ice hockey was not mentioned. But i would doubt even about 3rd place. When play in Lithuania national team is supported, but also is handball.

I don't know why as our region has strong traditions of hockey, but in Lithuania historically box(Jack Sharkey was Lithuanian, then in Soviet era Lithuanian boxers were known), basketball(European gold in 1937,1939 and later in 2003, lot of Lithuanians played in Soviet basketball team and also Žalgiris (Kaunas) gold in intercontinental W. Jones cup in 1986, gold in Soviet Union's championship in 85,86,87 making it almost National Pride), football (9th decade was golden time for Lithuanian football as Žalgiris (Vilnius) took 3rd place in Soviet championship) and handball (e.g.EHF Cup by Granitas in 1987)had more support and has stronger tradition. But after independence left only basketball. Maybe its because of lack of good results..

Now Lithuania has a chance. HC Baltica shows good results in MHL. They has plans to make this team good enough for KHL after few years. They already attracts not so small numbers(more than 1000).
If patience of owners will be big they can create miracle in our country. Question is if almost non-Lithuanian (even thoose from Lithuania are mostly with non-Lithuanian surnames) team can find a way to Lithuanians heart.

Egidijus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 07:47 AM
Artemia

Quote:
What's the source of those numbers? I'm not saying it's not true or anything, but I am interested in watching those statistics.
Read my posts in this thread.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=753850

Post #24 is pretty telling.

The top 6 european hockey leagues in europe draws 13 million.

Top 6 basketball only 6.5 or so.

Old
10-18-2011, 09:32 AM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Read my posts in this thread.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=753850

Post #24 is pretty telling.

The top 6 european hockey leagues in europe draws 13 million.

Top 6 basketball only 6.5 or so.
I read some of your posts in that thread, and you are really overrating how big hockey is in Europe. Attendance is not everything, especially in Sweden, where a ton of football fans are following the EPL, Serie A, La Liga instead of the swedish league.

I honestly think more people would be interested qualifying to the world cup in football, rather than win the olympic gold in hockey.

You say "hockey is the biggest sport in several countries", like some people said, it's really only 2.

Old
10-18-2011, 12:24 PM
Egidijus

Agree with Jonimaus. Attendance is only one of indicators which requires to check lot of more things that could make influence to statistics of attendance.
Also, theese stats were not takken from all leagues.

Old
10-19-2011, 02:14 AM
Artemia

Quote:
I read some of your posts in that thread, and you are really overrating how big hockey is in Europe. Attendance is not everything, especially in Sweden, where a ton of football fans are following the EPL, Serie A, La Liga instead of the swedish league.

I honestly think more people would be interested qualifying to the world cup in football, rather than win the olympic gold in hockey.

You say "hockey is the biggest sport in several countries", like some people said, it's really only 2.
Umm, I compared hockey vs basketball attendance numbers in europe in that thread. Not soccer whatsoever.

And I never said hockey is biggest sport in several countries, I said close to soccer in several countries, meaning 2nd most popular teamsport.

Last edited by Artemia: 10-19-2011 at 02:27 AM.
Old
10-19-2011, 02:18 AM
Artemia

double post.

Old
10-19-2011, 02:25 AM
Artemia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egidijus View Post
Agree with Jonimaus. Attendance is only one of indicators which requires to check lot of more things that could make influence to statistics of attendance.
Also, theese stats were not takken from all leagues.
I took stats from at least the 15 top european hockey/basket leagues. Hockey won all the way.

Of course attendance isn't everything but that's the most relevant tool to use, imo.

Old
10-19-2011, 03:53 AM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Umm, I compared hockey vs basketball attendance numbers in europe in that thread. Not soccer whatsoever.

And I never said hockey is biggest sport in several countries, I said close to soccer in several countries, meaning 2nd most popular teamsport.
Several, it might be that we missunderstand eachother, but for me that's a bunch of countries. I would rather use "some".

Old
10-19-2011, 07:49 AM
Egidijus

Quote:
I took stats from at least the 15 top european hockey/basket leagues. Hockey won all the way.

Of course attendance isn't everything but that's the most relevant tool to use, imo.
Top? Didn't see any stats from Lithuanian, Ukrainian, Israel(its geographically in Asia, but in sports usually compete in Europe), VTB, Eurocup leagues - all they have more than 1000 average attendance. So 1) You clearly took stats not from all main leagues; 2) TOP leagues doesn't say everything about whole Europe; 3) attendance is one of MANY indicators, which itself requires lot of checking(ticket prices, financial situation, size of arenas(even in Lithuania more than half of basketball's arenas are very limited) size of cities, even people's character, level of league, etc.)
Even in European youth competitions we see that most of countries has a team and it couldn't be told even about men's competition in Ice Hockey. Basketball has 3 pan-European tournaments and also few regional (like VTB, Adriatic).

Old
10-21-2011, 04:57 PM
TollefsenFan

Well in Norway hockey is popular in Oslo, Stavanger and areas close to the Swedish border. I would say nr 1 football nr 2 skiing nr 3 Handball/hockey

TollefsenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 06:38 PM
Lugaid
Hajlajtreelmål!

Send a message via Skype™ to Lugaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rotter View Post
I wouldn't be surprised. As much as hockey is a big sport in Sweden, the handball national team usually draws as many TV viewers during championships as Tre Kronor. I personally don't watch club handball at all, but watching the national team is great, and it's a really exciting sport usually, and at least where I've lived, everyone gets into it.

That said, football is number one, imo. hockey isn't 1B, it's simply 2.

Lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 02:09 PM
JYP88*

it seems that Canada and Finland are the only countries where hockey is number one sport?

JYP88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 05:36 PM
torero

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachy89 View Post
a stupid question, but you mean sport in general, right?
i'm just asking because racing is the only named form of sport which is not a teamsport ... so what's with tennis & co?

for switzerland and austria, alpine skiing can be easy number 2
i'm sure even ski-jumping is more popular than hockey in austria
Hmmm ... i do not agree with the Swiss aspect.

Here Hockey's popularity is strongly on the rise !! catching up on soccer.
Not their yet but it is much stronger. Many hockey games are sold out. We have the biggest hockey attendance in Europe. That's how it is in the cities. (the town i live in turned hockey some years ago ! now soccer is reappearing ... but shyly ... while the hockey is just willing to build bigger arenas and more rinks !!)

http://www.goironpigs.com/?p=8931

Since then Switzerland (who was 2nd at 9 spectators from Sweden) moved up to the first place.

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 06:00 PM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYP88 View Post
it seems that Canada and Finland are the only countries where hockey is number one sport?
IIRC Latvia too.

Latex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:49 AM
tobo

Face it: Hockey will remain a very small niche in most European nations. In my country, Hockey doesn't even hold the rights to the name: hockey means Field Hockey here. So talking in terms of 'up in popularity' is pretty pointless imo.

tobo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:38 PM
Artemia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobo View Post
Face it: Hockey will remain a very small niche in most European nations. In my country, Hockey doesn't even hold the rights to the name: hockey means Field Hockey here. So talking in terms of 'up in popularity' is pretty pointless imo.
Niche? Where are you from? Holland?

Field hockey doesn't even register on the radar anywhere. Even at the highest level it's still amateur. No money in it whatsoever. No attendance and no leagues of significance anywhere.

Hockey draws 18-19 million people into arenas every year in europe.

I'm sure it looks like hockey is niche if you live in holland, spain, etc, but the truth is the sport is regional, just like it is in USA.

Some places it barely exists, in others it's very big.