HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Erik Cole

View Poll Results: What's up with Cole
Overrated player with bad contract 34 20.48%
Bad Chemistry / needs to play with a big center 13 7.83%
Being completely misused by Mr. Big Ears 107 64.46%
Is trying to take the Heat off Gomez (Ie: team player) 12 7.23%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Bud2790

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Lol I think that you just insulted a Habs fan...but even if it wasn't the case, he was clearly just saying that it won't last, in both cases.
Thanks for saving me the time good sir!

Bud2790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:43 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
No Cole thread ?

He is on pace for 12 Assists... and that is all !

Vote:

1) Overrated player with bad contract

2) Bad Chemistry / needs to play with a big center

3) Being completely misused by Mr. Big Ears

4) Is trying to take the Heat off Gomez (Ie: team player)
I would had choose both : overarated and misused.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:44 PM
Aurel Joliat

C : Being completely misused by Mr. Big Ears

Aurel Joliat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:47 PM
Jakomyte

I vote for option E: A typical top 6 forward that is streaky and/or having a slow start.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:50 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
I vote for option E: A typical top 6 forward that is streaky and/or having a slow start.
A typical hab top 6 player

Sigh, Martin is seriously not coaching this team properly.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:05 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
A typical hab top 6 player

Sigh, Martin is seriously not coaching this team properly.

Look at other teams with 3 scoring lines. Is Brad Boyes already putting up points?

Are the Sabres failing? It's just a bad streak like any non-80pt guy seems to experience throughout the year.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:10 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Look at other teams with 3 scoring lines. Is Brad Boyes already putting up points?

Are the Sabres failing? It's just a bad streak like any non-80pt guy seems to experience throughout the year.
Well so far every possible nightmare is coming true for this team.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:37 PM
Jakomyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
Well so far every possible nightmare is coming true for this team.
Well, the team is facing adversity. Hopefully it can pull through and get back to a respectable record by the time the injured are ready to play again. Then the team might be even better for it, especially for younger players like Eller, DD, Emelin, Diaz, Weber who are getting extra minutes now because of injuries to guys like Gomez, Markov, Campoli and Spacek.

Its funny because so many people on these boards always get pissed that we don't play the rookies enough over veterans. Well, right now we are relying on a LOT of young players (Pacioretty, Eller, Desharnais, Subban, Weber, Emelin, Diaz, even Price) and the road is a bit bumpy. If you want these younger guys to have a chance, you need to be patient with them.

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:39 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Didn't like the contract and not all that shocked that he's struggling. But to be fair to him, he hasn't been given a real chance by Martin. Not sure what's Jacque's problem with him is but he doesn't seem to be a fan.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:48 PM
Claimed Off Waivers

Being completely misused by Mr. Big Ears

Claimed Off Waivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:51 PM
Swayze*

He could get 30/40 goals in a year

Swayze* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:56 PM
StellerEller
Canada's Team

vCash: 100
The problem is his best asset his his north south speed. JM's style makes the team very flat footed and only when we counter attack we seem to pick up the pace. If we were exploiting our teams speed properly, we would be sending him on breaks more. IMO I think the team needs to be more agressive in general but especially on the forecheck. I think a deeper forecheck would help take pressure of the D, because having one player deep lets the other teams get into our zone pretty easily and quickly, exposing our current weakness on the blueline. This situation allows for Cole to get back to his bread and butter.

StellerEller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 03:08 PM
jstaal
go canes go

erik

we will take him back for a good prospect, staal needs a wing man

jstaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 03:18 PM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

Blame Dumbo.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 03:25 PM
Patrice Brisebois

If Martin is still going to be the coach heading into next season, Cole will be gone by next summer.

Patrice Brisebois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 03:55 PM
Habit11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
I wouldnt say he lost all confidence, but from all the games he played so far with us, it's pretty clear the guy HAS to play a power game to be effective... the only time he looked solid (not only this game) is when games were a little more physical...

I think the guy would be great if he could be on a line equivalent to Eller-AK-Moen...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
5: He's not playing with Eric Staal.
The only center who plays similarly to Staal (and this is not to say he's near Staal in terms of talent etc.) is Eller. Even though that line was good last year, and great last night, that's a good spot to try Cole. Eller and AK have good chemistry, and Eller likes to play a North South game, and to cycle down low in the offensive zone, which would be a great fit for Cole. Also, move Moen to play with MaxPac/Desharnais to help protect DD in the defensive zone.

Habit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 03:59 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Wow! 68% saying that Martin doesn't know how to use him! Compelling...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 04:03 PM
AllanMTL46
Alexei BOOM Emelin

Misused.

AllanMTL46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 04:06 PM
habsjunkie2*

I would say it's a bit of both 1 and 3, but mostly 3. If you would of told me prior to the season that he would barely receive any PP time after accepting a 4 yr 18million dollar contract, I probably would of laughed.

I can't imagine this is what PG envisioned upon signing him. I do, however, believe that he was over rated by our fan base, because we completely lacked a big player for the top 6 and many hoped he would solve our problems there. I maintained that it was a good signing, but that his talent wasn't on par with AK and that he wouldn't be an upgrade over him, but would add a missing dimension. I stand by that assessment, but it may prove to be way off if Martin keeps employing him the way he has to this point.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 04:12 PM
Dekar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
He looked good last night, maybe the best game yet for him. It has to be hard for him to find chemistry the way things are changing around right now.

I think he was always only going to be a complementary player we looked for ~20 goals from, however, so I've always expected he would draw heat at various points as a Hab. We paid the premium in $$$ to address a need, and Cole will inevitably draw heat for not being a better player than he is, despite that.
I've thought Cole has played as well as his teammates have played so far: pretty well, but hasn't been able to show up on the scoresheet. I've seen some tremendous hits and a few sick dangles from him already this season. I'm sure once this slump breaks, he'll step up as will everyone else.

Like the magic 8-ball guy said, ask again later.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 04:16 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Cole's lack of success is due to one reason and one reason alone: Jacques Martin misusing him.
You really think so? I disagree. It shows in his play, which has been the most inept among the top nine forwards. Even Gomez has been performing better. Cole should take a cue from Travis Moen or perhaps from Mathieu Darche. I predicted that he wouldn't be as good a scorer as Kostitsyn and so far it looks that way. it's ironic, because JM seemed so pleased to have Cole.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 04:21 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
An interesting thing i noticed was the fact that twice in the game, he was in a 1vs1 situation against Gardiner.
He did twice the same move, trying to force his way through and he lost the puck twice without being actually dangerous for Reimer and then Gustavsson.
Several times, he was just a step behind the play. Offensively, when he cant reach the puck on a pass in the neutral zone (9 shots on goal in 7 games, thats not enough), or defensively, when he is not covering his man...

The effort is there, it was clearly noticeable on some shifts, but there might be a problem with him adapting to his new team.
The so positive environment and well-known patience of the fans here is surely an appreciated help.

We just have to find him a centermen he's comfortable with, to give him a reference.
If he really cant play with Plekanec, there is still Eller. He may be not as strong as Staal and not as talented, but the size is there, the good use of the body to protect the puck is there, the talent is there.
The consistency, not yet, but we dont have any other option until Gomez is back, so...
And as a bonus, the competition is going to be 2nd liners, more likely to be a plus for him.
Where is that center? I don't see any in the Habs organization.

Old
10-23-2011, 04:29 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrice Brisebois View Post
If Martin is still going to be the coach heading into next season, Cole will be gone by next summer.
He'll still be under his ridiculous contract at a time when the Habs are already carrying Gomez.

Old
10-23-2011, 05:10 PM
Hank Scorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
You really think so? I disagree. It shows in his play, which has been the most inept among the top nine forwards. Even Gomez has been performing better. Cole should take a cue from Travis Moen or perhaps from Mathieu Darche. I predicted that he wouldn't be as good a scorer as Kostitsyn and so far it looks that way. it's ironic, because JM seemed so pleased to have Cole.
While he has looked the most out of place, he is also the only top-9 forward we have that has yet to play in a JM system until this season and who has not played with the other 8 players before. Martin's line-changing isn't helping either as, whether they play well or not, you get bumped up and down the line-up for the purpose of balanced lines. On top of that, every player on this hockey team not named Travis Moen seems to be slumping right now and no one really looks good. Cole is to blame for his play thus far, but so are many other things. For now, let's keep the 'I told you so' posts in our back pockets for now and see what happens. It's been a long seven games but it's only been seven games.

Hank Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 05:16 PM
Maxpac

Not on a line with Cammalleri and Plekanec= misused, period.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote