HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Time for a new coach?

Old
10-23-2011, 04:22 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
I just saw that HBO isnt filming until Dec. 1. NYDN is right -- that locker room is more interesting after losses.
Pretty sure it starts AIRING Dec 1st. They've been filming since Europe, I believe. They need to air the episodes before the outdoor game on January 2nd.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 04:33 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maaxse View Post
am i the only who think it is too early to panick ?
It's really early. People expected way too much with this schedule. I'm happy we came out with two wins so far on this Western Canada trip. But, whatever. There's 70-freaking-6 games left. No worries.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 04:36 PM
RangersDif

Don't worry guys, we have the king

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=295GQ...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HilHrVDSmU

RangersDif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 04:40 PM
Nekz
Let's Go Rangers!

Send a message via AIM to Nekz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
dump, chase, lose race, repeat.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
All. Night. Long.

Nekz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 04:45 PM
Superstar Carwash

First, it's a bit too early to fire Torts and he won't be fired unless we go on a 10-game winless streak.

IF he would be fired though, I wouldn't mind seeing what Ted Nolan could do with this team. I never really understood why Ted Nolan seems to have such a bad rep amongst NHL teams. I've heard that he's got some issues with authority figures and likes to run stuff his way, but I seriously doubt he could be any grumpier and more unfriendly than Torts and he's always gotten good results with the teams he's coached.

Superstar Carwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 04:48 PM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Is Torts real problem unfamiliarity with the system?

Maybe
I wasn't suggesting he didn't know the system. I was suggesting that if they were to get someone else someone who knows the organization would make for a smoother transition than an outsider.

It just seems like he isn't employing the right system for this team. Maybe in the past with the talent they have dumping and chasing and banging along the boards was fine but in the Calgary game 2 of the 3 goals scored (including the game winner) came after the Rangers gained the blueline, not from dumping the puck in.
Vancouver: 3 of the 4 goals on the rush
Islanders:1 of the 2 goals scored on the rush.
Anaheim:The 1 goal scored on the rush.
LA:2 of the 2 goals scored after gaining the blue line on the rush

Maybe it is time for Torts to reevaluate his own system.

truebluegoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 04:51 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

lol, is it that time of year already?!?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 05:40 PM
Captain Monglobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
lol, is it that time of year already?!?
Seriously. Bring this thread back in March and dish out the crow.

Captain Monglobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 05:55 PM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by truebluegoalie View Post
I have never seen a coach change lines and bench players the way he does. I don't think people are overreacting about it at all. You don't break up the only line that has been doing anything for you 1 shift into a game. His constant line juggling leads you to think he panics and feels like he has to do something.
You may want to read up on (Stanley Cup Winning New York Ranger coach) Mike Keenan.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 05:59 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
You may want to read up on (Stanley Cup Winning New York Ranger coach) Mike Keenan.
I think people are also under-selling the amount of line-changing every coach does. Seems like most fanbases get frustrated by this, but most coaches do it, to some extent. Coaches are concerned with winning games. If someone isn't playing well in a game, the coach is going to change his gameplan.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 06:02 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAYO View Post
Alrighty, so I just finished watching the game that I recorded from last night. I agree with some that think that it may be too premature to lay blame on Torts. But there's soooooo much going on here that you have to point fingers his way. The constant line juggling is bloody tiresome for 1. Also, what was the need to pick up Rupp if a guy like Prust is going to have to take on a guy like Sutton?!!? Then, why have EC on the power play in the third period? And without getting into another Avery conversation here, some of the players have gone on record claiming they miss having him around, if you ask me, I think they may not appreciate how Torts handled the way he got rid of him which makes me believe he's put himself in a position that these guys simply don't want to play for him anymore!
All good points and the avery situation was definitely a personal thing with Torts. We all aren't in love with the line juggling but I think it's a bit of a stretch right now to think the players have quit on him. As a longtime Rangers fan(50+ yrs), I completely understand the frustration but frankly, its too early to bring up the idea of a new coach.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 06:06 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I think people are also under-selling the amount of line-changing every coach does. Seems like most fanbases get frustrated by this, but most coaches do it, to some extent. Coaches are concerned with winning games. If someone isn't playing well in a game, the coach is going to change his gameplan.
I'd say that it's actually pretty rare for a coach to stick with the same line combinations consistently -- if a line simply doesn't seem to be working, they're going to get changed, IMO.

However, that being said, I think that some people feel that Torts' only gameplan is to shake up the lines if the team is not showing enough energy or aren't playing up to par, and that is what the issue is, IMO.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.

Last edited by BrianBoyle: 10-23-2011 at 06:12 PM.
BrianBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 06:19 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
If Dan Bylsma was coaching this team this board would eventually complain about him.
Bullseye! What people need to realize is that our top six talent is not so wonderful despite spending 60 mil on Richards and Gaboriks fast start. The 2nd line has been horses*** so where is all this great offensive talent we are suppose to have? Mark my words, we will be part of a group of tems(us, debbies,canadiens,canes, icelanders?, panthers) fighting for the 6/7/8 seeds regardless of who coaches us. We will still struggle to score and as long as we are missing Staal and Sauer, our defense will be overtaxed.

Old
10-23-2011, 06:22 PM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
I'd say that it's actually pretty rare for a coach to stick with the same line combinations consistently -- if a line simply doesn't seem to be working, they're going to get changed, IMO.

However, that being said, I think that some people feel that Torts' only gameplan is to shake up the lines if the team is not showing enough energy or aren't playing up to par, and that is what the issue is, IMO.
But he is also changing up lines that are working. Stepan-Richards-Gaborik has been the only decent looking offense this year and he moves Gaborik off the first line after 1 shift last night to get the second line going. That kind of stuff doesn't work, he did it last year with the Pack line when they were going well, moved guys around to spark the other lines. Personally in a 1-0 game I would rather see the most promising line stick together and get a goal to spark the team. True that coaches change up lines if they don't work but most coaches give the lines more than 1 shift to make that determination.

Old
10-23-2011, 06:29 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
When have we had a number one center during Torts tenure? Who has this team iced during Torts' tenure that can consistently put the puck in the net, besides Gaborik?
The answers:
Never!(Until Richards)
No One besides Gaborik!

And that's just it people, we are the epitame of a mediocre team. Mediocrity is our middle name, might as well be since we have been mediocre for so long.

Old
10-23-2011, 06:32 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciggy View Post
man let me tell u i am a firm believer that 1 bad call in a game can change the whole complexity of the game, i am also a believer that a bad decision by a coach can change and affect players heads throughtout a year, affect momentum so on and so forth..

if i have this right, and i was at the game, that 7-1 start, we were on a roll, we were playing san jose at home, they were picked to win it all that year.. in torts infinite wisdom out of nowhere he dcides to put vallequette in net, we went up 2 nill cause of the momentum we had, we were rollin, valle gives up 5 quick and we end up losin 7-2? something like that!! from that loss on we never were the same, i think torts pissed off entire team by putting valle in net, it showed up valley and he was a well liked player by his peers, just because torts won a cup in tampa doesn't mean he should get a pass here, get rid of him
Okay. Who should we interview as a potential replacement(thank God Tom Renny aint available)

Old
10-23-2011, 06:33 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Quote:
But he is also changing up lines that are working. Stepan-Richards-Gaborik has been the only decent looking offense this year and he moves Gaborik off the first line after 1 shift last night to get the second line going. That kind of stuff doesn't work, he did it last year with the Pack line when they were going well, moved guys around to spark the other lines. Personally in a 1-0 game I would rather see the most promising line stick together and get a goal to spark the team. True that coaches change up lines if they don't work but most coaches give the lines more than 1 shift to make that determination.
Yeah, that's my personal issue with him. He changed a working line simply to shake up the rest of the team, and that usually ends up as counterproductive.

BrianBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 06:39 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
caps were 6-14-1 when they fired Hanlon and hired Boudreau in 2007 and he finished the season with a 37-14-7 record. Will the rangers be that bad in November? I doubt it, but I think this upcoming homestand is huge, if they play as poorly as they have on this roadtrip, I think there could be some serious discussion about replacing him because then, the biggest excuse of all (the horrible travel) is gone. And you can talk all you want about the two major injuries, but every team has to deal with them, Pens lost Crosby and Malkin last year for an extended period of time and didn't miss a beat.

So I think this upcoming homestand will be huge, one way or another.
Agree. This homestand will be important and every team does have to deal with injuries sooner or later. However, using a team like the Penguins to illustrate your point isn't such a hot idea because they are loaded talentwise and so they can and will continue to win despite missing 2 of the 4 or 5 top players in the world.

Old
10-23-2011, 06:47 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Pretty sure it starts AIRING Dec 1st. They've been filming since Europe, I believe. They need to air the episodes before the outdoor game on January 2nd.
they haven't started filming yet. they did some stuff for promos but aren't doing full episodes yet

the first episode is scheduled for wed dec 14th.

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 06:47 PM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Agree. This homestand will be important and every team does have to deal with injuries sooner or later. However, using a team like the Penguins to illustrate your point isn't such a hot idea because they are loaded talentwise and so they can and will continue to win despite missing 2 of the 4 or 5 top players in the world.
Well, I also mentioned the Bruins losing Savard last season and having a pretty good year. Anaheim lost Hiller around the all star break and still finished in 4th. And I don't know if I would call the Penguins "loaded talentwise" especially when you are talking about the loss of Crosby and Malkin for an extended period of time.

Old
10-23-2011, 06:49 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kind of Blue View Post
His "system," in-game decision-making and roster preferences have been a joke.

His man-management has been a joke.

His off-ice behavior has been a joke.

And I'm not looking at the six games, I'm using a much larger sample size.

That said, it's too early to fire him.

But there is no future with him. At this point, firing him is just a timing issue.
I can understand people complaining about Tort's in game decision making and roster preferences but what "system" would you like to see implemented with this group of players?
Also, what prolem do you have with his off ice behavior? Does it really bother you that Tort's doesn't wax poetic and kiss the rearends of the media the way spineless Tom Renny did when he was coach here?

Old
10-23-2011, 06:51 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemarkmessier View Post
Torts isnt the right guy fro the Rangers. I want Messier!!!
From bad to worse

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 06:51 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Jim Schoenfeld

Schoeny? Laughable!

Old
10-23-2011, 06:53 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
One working line an effective team does not make.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 06:53 PM
truebluegoalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Schoeny? Laughable!
why?

And like I said earlier wasn't endorsing it, just suggesting it as option because he has been a part of putting these players together.