HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

J.M: "Price has to do more"

Old
10-23-2011, 06:52 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

vCash: 500
Today is payday for bloggers/columnist/media outlets

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 06:53 PM
PyrettaBlaze

Martin can go **** himself.

PyrettaBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 06:54 PM
habtastic

Disclaimer: Always have been (yes, even then) a diehard Price fanboy.

I think Carey has played great (cept for the Avs game...of course that's the one I was at!) BUT, he is not playing as "clutch" as he was last year or even compared to some of the other goalies in the league (Vokoun, Lundqvust isn't bad, Rinne, etc.). Don't get me wrong, he has kept the team in the game so many times, but I think what JM means is:

we can't have Carey be really good, we need him to be unstoppable, because that IS his talent level.

It is an inflammatory comment, but I'm not too upset that he wants more out of Price, i.e. a couple of more ridiculous saves, like eg. the tying goal. I know he's getting run a lot, but there are some that I think he would normally keep out and that end up being tying, go-ahead goals.

This much is clear: he's our best player by far right now (I'm also developping my huge affection for Eller), but a goal here or there that last season wouldn't have gone in due to heroics, would make a difference in our record.

This isn't Carey Price at 100% and he's STILL ridiculously good. He can be better and he will be.

but yeah...I do get the whole OTHERS should be doing their jobs (the refs ftm). I'm not really discontent with JM so far since aside from that Enqvist sixth man thing, I don't think he's been managing lines badly given injuries. Here's another thing that's plainly obvious now and a reason JM wasn't playing this person more: Erik Cole has to get his **** together. I like the physicality he's bringing but right now he's playing like a third liner. ALWAYS 1 second too late with a play and often just freaking useless. How many times Max has been open and it doesn't come until the D recognizes what's going to happen...so slow. Also, stop getting owned by Jake Gardiner by doing the EXACT same thing - skating up the right wing right until the end of the circle and then trying some bs move to get inside. Again, it's cuz I know he IS better. And he will be.

One thing I love about our team is that they have the mental fortitude to overcome all of this and it takes an even keel (which I've seen from all our leaders) to be able to do it, NOT a hothead coach. I'd like Muller too and Boucher, but Roy? Yeah no thanks, we'd lose every game 10-0 and the players would get lambasted. Good quotes - yup. Winning - nope. As posted on HIO, Martin reminded reporters that we started 2-5 in his first season and I think we're far more injured now. It will turn around, hopefully immediately. I already have the ignominy of having to go to work in leafs nation. BTW...anyone notice Cole pushing Grabo out of a scoring position...a second too late?

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:00 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

**** you Jacques.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:10 PM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
If he wasn't constantly juggling lines maybe they would know who is supposed to be out there.
Yeah responsibility for too many men penalties generally goes to the coach, JM should know that. As seen during the time out vs the Lightning, JM does not communicate well. Sadly it appears he has a much better relationship with his little notebook than he does with the guys on the bench.

Recent reports of JM blaming players, Cole now Price, may be either a desperate attempt to shift blame, or just something the media is emphasizing because they also want him gone.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Shabutie

Jacques is right. Price is someone who loses focus when the team around him is playing badly, I've come to accept that.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Martin is right... What's the problem?
Martin !

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:14 PM
Belso

I think It would help if Cole scored one or two goals on the PP once in a while.. Oh wait...

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:16 PM
sheed36

I can agree that Price and the rest of the team need to do more to get this mess turned around.. Also though JM needs to accept some of the blame for this mess too considering some of the questionable decisions he as made.. What a nightmare this season is turning into..

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:17 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Martin can go **** himself.
Is this type of foul language the reason why you're not a mod anymore?

Anyways, this is another instance where JM makes a comment that seems out of character. Now if Torterella says something similar, we wouldn't be surprised. Jacques' system arguably revolves around the goalie, so if Price doesn't play outstandingly, the coach obviously looks bad. But who's to blame for sending one forechecker when down by a goal?

Edit: I actually like Jacques as a person (a bit less as a coach), and I hope he doesn't lose his job, but it's clearly not looking good for him right now.

Last edited by SB164: 10-23-2011 at 07:23 PM.
SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:20 PM
HabsIn7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Jacques is right. Price is someone who loses focus when the team around him is playing badly, I've come to accept that.
You have to feel for the guy. Our defense right now is pretty raw and prone to mistakes as we have no real leader to take charge of the group at the moment.

HabsIn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:20 PM
compile
Give me Scotch!

vCash: 483
Send a message via Skype™ to compile
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
RDS chose to single out Price on their article while Martin is talking about the whole team. Price has been sub-par on some goals and he needs to work on that, as much and the other players have to focus on other problems.

Also Martin isn't responsible for the players going on the ice. They have to be aware of who's coming off the ice and at what moment. This team lacks focus at the moment.
Yes he is to blame....
DESHARNAIS was a -1 and played more PP then Eller who was a +3 and had 2 pts on the night. I'm guessing it was Eller's suggestion to not play him on the PP?

Lets keep putting offensive dmen on the PK, because we score so many SHG...

Price is the last person I'd blame, especially after witnessing the whole Grabovski on top of Price while Diaz watches fiasco.

The Habs are an offensive team yet they play a defensive system. In my 20+ years of watching hockey, I have never seen a team allow the opposition time to do anything in their zone, wait for a turn over and jump on it.

This is what happens when you pick your coaching staff based on if they can speak French, rather then based on their success, ya I don't care if people disagree, but it is an absolute joke that speaking French is a pre-req. I thought it was about pedigree and success. If Babcock became available, the organization would rather hire Crawford for example. . Sorry, but Muller ran this team not JM and its pretty evident that the players don't want him coaching anymore.

Old
10-23-2011, 07:23 PM
HabsIn7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenRetina View Post
Yes he is to blame....
DESHARNAIS was a -1 and played more PP then Eller who was a +3 and had 2 pts on the night. I'm guessing it was Eller's suggestion to not play him on the PP?

Lets keep putting offensive dmen on the PK, because we score so many SHG...

Price is the last person I'd blame, especially after witnessing the whole Grabovski on top of Price while Diaz watches fiasco.

The Habs are an offensive team yet they play a defensive system. In my 20+ years of watching hockey, I have never seen a team allow the opposition time to do anything in their zone, wait for a turn over and jump on it.

This is what happens when you pick your coaching staff based on if they can speak French. Sorry, but Muller ran this team not JM and its pretty evident that the players don't want him coaching anymore.
what are the signs that the coach has lost the room? Are there obvious ones or is it keep mostly inside the dressing room?

Old
10-23-2011, 07:25 PM
googlymoogly

All JM is trying to say is Price needs to score a couple of goals per game. The rest of the team must play JM defense and aren't allowed to create offense

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:26 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsIn7 View Post
You have to feel for the guy. Our defense right now is pretty raw and prone to mistakes as we have no real leader to take charge of the group at the moment.
Yes and no, the one thing I will say about Halak was that you could always see that he was trying 100% (I say that as Price fan). Price is often discouraged and you can typically tell when he's on his game or not within the first 5 minutes. He has not been as focused or confident as he was last year. He's not challenging shooters like he should be. He's made himself look very small this far. You can blame the defense all you want, but he's been part of the problem as well. I'm certain that Groulx will be able to get him back on path though.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:29 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by AraGOHABSGO View Post
"Carey est dans le bateau au même titre que tous les autres joueurs. Il doit offrir un meilleur rendement, tout comme les autres joueurs de l'équipe", a simplement commenté Martin.

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/328776.html

Basically he says that Price has to do more like the rest of the players. They are in the same boat...

Now, I just want to kill that guy... Saying that THE ONLY GUY THAT WAS ACTUALLY DOING SOMETHING has to do more...

OMG!!!!... I hope he includes himself in that list, because he is a much bigger problem than Price right now!!!
Talk about overreaction.

If Price is "THE ONLY GUY THAT WAS ACTUALLY DOING SOMETHING" I'm glad he isn't struggling at 3.13 GAA and .878% and 1 win in 7 games...

I'm not for throwing Price under the bus, but he is one of the main guys that needs to step up and play better. Price, Gionta, Subban and Gorges are guys that need to step up.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:31 PM
HabsIn7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
Yes and no, the one thing I will say about Halak was that you could always see that he was trying 100% (I say that as Price fan). Price is often discouraged and you can typically tell when he's on his game or not within the first 5 minutes. He has not been as focused or confident as he was last year. He's not challenging shooters like he should be. He's made himself look very small this far. You can blame the defense all you want, but he's been part of the problem as well. I'm certain that Groulx will be able to get him back on path though.
No one is free from blame so far this year but you cant argue that our current d is AHL level right now. They were so lost in their own end last night it was crazy. We are the easiest team in the league to play against right now from the games I've witnessed. No one pays the price in front of the net. Players are allowed to walk into our zone uncontested. Right now when the d is struggling who steps up takes the reins and calms things down?

Old
10-23-2011, 07:35 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
All JM is trying to say is Price needs to score a couple of goals per game. The rest of the team must play JM defense and aren't allowed to create offense
The last 2 Saturdays we have lost while scoring 4 and 5 goals. The offense isn't great...but after 7 games we have 17 goals scored we are tied for 19th...which isn't great but our GA is tied for 24th.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:41 PM
WhiskeySeven
Mr. Worldwide

Imagine if a player said that about Martin?

"He needs to coach better"

Instant trade to the Anaheim Ducks for Brett Festerling and a 7th.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:45 PM
compile
Give me Scotch!

vCash: 483
Send a message via Skype™ to compile
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsIn7 View Post
what are the signs that the coach has lost the room? Are there obvious ones or is it keep mostly inside the dressing room?
I guess you can't tell there is a lack of effort from 75% of this team. Hence the reason why they keep losing.

They'll beat florida, but lose the next two. Watch and see.

Markov will not save this team.

But hey wtf do I know. I guess playing a 5'8 midget @ center on the PP that turned the puck over more then I count, over a guy that had a solid game makes JM a brilliant coach.

JM SHOULD NOT blame his goaltender for anything, but blame his vets for leaving the "kids" out to dry constantly.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:51 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

On one hand, Price DOES have to do a bit more. I mean, as well as he has played, I haven't seen many goalies in recent years - even on the worst teams in the league - rock out with 0.878 SV% over the first 5-10 games to start a season. Would anyone out there argue that he's currently playing at a level comparable to last season? I don't think he quite is, but...

... on the other hand, there have been plenty of times when you could also complete that sentence with "... because the team's play in front of him is forcing him to do a lot more." Last year was supposed to be part of an upward trend/development, though, not his peak, right? I'm sure he'd be able to get more comfortable in games if he saw the lamp lit at the other end a little more often, but Carey... man... we're leaning on ya here.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:55 PM
bjac

I don't see anything wrong with this statement. JMs coaching is irrelevant to the fact that Price has been playing below his own standards and needs to improve his game, just like the rest of the team (and JM acknowledged that too).

And for those who think this is "throwing Price under the bus", get a grip. Blaming everything on him is throwing him under the bus, not saying he needs to play better.

Last edited by bjac: 10-23-2011 at 08:04 PM.
bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:59 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

This is taken out of contest. Thanks OP

He says Price just like everyone on the team has to play better. He's right, but ofcourse things have to be taken out of context to rile up the people.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 08:02 PM
Garo

*sigh* Habs fans.

Garo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 08:04 PM
bjac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
This is taken out of contest. Thanks OP

He says Price just like everyone on the team has to play better. He's right, but ofcourse things have to be taken out of context to rile up the people.
It would be way to boring around here if the context was taken into account.

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote