HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sam Rosen

Old
10-23-2011, 07:14 PM
The Mouth

vCash: 500
Sam Rosen is a Horrific play by play hockey announcer. Since J.D left he has completely gone downhill. He actually does a good job at football. As far as Hockey goes he really has declined especially during Dolan's ownership here he is just an extension of the public relations department.

People love Sam for sentimental reasons and that's understandable but at his craft he is abysmal.

As Ranger fans we deserve better.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:16 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post
Sam Rosen is a Horrific play by play hockey announcer. Since J.D left he has completely gone downhill. He actually does a good job at football. As far as Hockey goes he really has declined especially during Dolan's ownership here he is just an extension of the public relations department.

People love Sam for sentimental reasons and that's understandable but at his craft he is abysmal.

Like who? The jokes from Pittsburgh? Jack Edwards? Emerick and Chico?

The only guy I like as much as Sam is Howie.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:19 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Like who? The jokes from Pittsburgh? Jack Edwards? Emerick and Chico?

The only guy I like as much as Sam is Howie.
Fantastic. So compared to garbage he's great. And I would take Howie over Rosen in a heartbeat.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:22 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
Fantastic. So compared to garbage he's great. And I would take Howie over Rosen in a heartbeat.
Like I said, name me a better guy.

There's not many guys better then him in the business.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:48 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Like I said, name me a better guy.

There's not many guys better then him in the business.
Strangis and Reaugh, for one. (as a team)

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 08:42 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Sam has also done boxing too...Big-time fixture for Golden Gloves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
The only "detractors" are Debby and Fishie fans. I would take Sam easily over Doc when he was a Deb announcer. And Sam is better than anything the Fishies have ever had.
Jiggs Macdonald, Howie Rose and Gary Thorne are/were all excellent PBP guys. It's the beauty of being in the NYC market.

As much as I love Sam, I wont be that upset when he leaves because there isnt a bigger Ranger fan (deep down unconditional love) than Howie Rose.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 08:47 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Sam Rosen is the primary radio play-by-play guy for NHL radio during the SCF...mainly because the Rangers are either playing gold by then.

It's a testament to how much he's respected. He's one of the rare PBP's who actually shows emotion for the opposing team when they score.

There was a time when the Rangers had Sam Rosen doing MSG PBP, Marv Albery doing radio PBP, and Doc doing radio PBP/studio host. Talk about being spoiled as a fan base.

Old
10-23-2011, 08:53 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

I wonder how much Fox gives him.

Obviously in the 6 digits.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:35 PM
ThisYearsModel

Sam is one of the best, and far superior to the screaming me me and name destroyer Thorne. Does Thorne have a Job in hockey? Howie was such a big Ranger fan that he left to broadcast Islander games. The weak link there is Micheletti, who is brutal.

ThisYearsModel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:43 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Sam is one of the best, and far superior to the screaming me me and name destroyer Thorne. Does Thorne have a Job in hockey? Howie was such a big Ranger fan that he left to broadcast Islander games. The weak link there is Micheletti, who is brutal.
Agree with this. Other than Messier's hat trick goal in Guarantee game and Kariya scoring after returning from getting knocked out by Stevens, Thorne was below par.

Sam has lost some on his fastball but has produced some great calls last few years...Cally OT winner in Pittsburgh and McDonagh in Calgary spring to my head immediately. Micheletti does not help and because he is getting up there and cannot really carry a broadcast on his own, he is hurt by Micheletti a bit. Obviously (Shut up) Micheletti is still above average color compared to the rest of the league, but we were spoiled for years by Sam and JD.

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:53 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel View Post
Thorne is an excellent play by play announcer. He did Mets PBP on WHN with Bob Murphy in the 1980s while doing the Devils on Sportschannel.

The guy is probably the most versatile PBP guy in history behind Marv Albert.

And Rose took the Isles job because he had no shot doing TV PBP (which was his dream) because Rosen blocked him. By taking the Isles job, he was able to stay local and continue to do Mets games.

Old
10-24-2011, 07:40 AM
JanErixon20

Go read the GDT the Canuck fans had of the game last week. They were watching the Ranger feed and they were saying how great Sam and Joe are, how they aren't 100% homers and were giving the Canucks credit for things happening on the ice instead of moaning and groaning about it like most other out of market announcers do.

Actually, I just went to look for it and there is a thread just about Sam and Joe (opened by a NYR fan asking what they thought). Here are the comments:

I found your commentators to be not bad at all. Didn't find them to be biased whatsoever and called the play very fairly.

I liked them. I actually think I preferred them to the TSN crew. Very knowledgeable about the opposition, some good insight, no real homerism. Definitely a cut above most regional broadcasts I've heard.

As far as American announcers go they were some of the best I've heard. Granted it was in the second period and the Canucks had been dominating up to that point, so even if they wanted to be biased there wasn't much good they could say about the Rangers except for Lundquist.

I thought they were good. Less annoying than Gord Miller.

I was impressed they didn't start whining about all the penalties called against the Rangers in the second. No doubt, any of the local guys would have been singing to high heaven if the Canucks were penalized like that.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=1009005

It's a 2 page thread and I think there was only 1 negative comment.

JanErixon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 07:52 AM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Sam has been one of the best play by play guys in the league for a while. He's on the downswing, but still clearly one of the better guys.
Sam Rosen has been a fixture with the Rangers for years and is a genuinely likeable guy. However, the Rangers made a mistake when they let Howie Rose leave to do play by play for Islanders in 1994.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 08:02 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by gluvhand View Post
Yeah, horrible. I lose sleep over it every night. And "hate" is your word. I wouldn't waste hate on something like this. Why is it so incomprehensible to you that I'm not a Rosen fan?
Because it would be like me saying I dislike puppies. No one dislikes puppies.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 08:08 AM
drewcon40

I wonder if he ever accidentially calls "It's a power play goal!" after a touchdown.

drewcon40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 08:22 AM
JanErixon20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Sam Rosen has been a fixture with the Rangers for years and is a genuinely likeable guy. However, the Rangers made a mistake when they let Howie Rose leave to do play by play for Islanders in 1994.
Howie Rose will be back when Sam retires. He only took that job because they let him do Met games, or that was a big reason why he took it.

I would guess Howie or Kenny Albert will be the next guy to call games on MSG for the Rangers.

JanErixon20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 08:23 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mouth View Post

I have to wonder how many PBP guys you have heard consistently in other markets.

10-24-2011, 08:51 AM
Poozer

Yeah he's a good Football announcer, perhaps better then he is at hockey, actually.

He's just super enthusiastic about it all, which is great.

Poozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 08:52 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Sam isn't as great as he used to be, but he's still miles ahead of the vast majority of competition.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 08:55 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Sam isn't as great as he used to be, but he's still miles ahead of the vast majority of competition.
That just about sums it up. He misses a lot of plays these days, but hes a likable guy and a lot of us cant picture listening to a Ranger game without him.

Doc Emrick is the best in the business. I know some will disagree simply because hes a Devil's guy, or they dont like his voice, or whatever other silly reason they can come up with - but he does not miss one second of action out there. Its incredible.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 03:16 PM
gluvhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Because it would be like me saying I dislike puppies. No one dislikes puppies.
Rosen isn't a puppy. Do you go through life just liking everything that "everybody" else does or can you form an independent opinion? I'm not saying I dislike Rosen to be difficult or obnoxious. I never even said I dislike him. I just don't have a typical Ranger fan bias towards him.

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote