HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

ROFL Aaron Palushaj sent down (post #135)

Old
10-23-2011, 03:23 PM
la25ecoupe

vCash: 500
Seriously, I got my hope up for Yapukov.

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 03:35 PM
AllCanadienFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
Blunden. WTF is Blondin?

Good. Blunden ought to liven up the timid 4th line.
Not based on what I've seen him do in Hamilton so far.

AllCanadienFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 04:44 PM
Edgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
The very huge mistakes were re-signing Markov and his busted knee, and giving 4.5 for 4 years to Cole.

10 million bucks a year !!!!!!!!!!!!
Either you've never heard of LTIR or you're doing some fuzzy math. Either way, go away because there is no one better than Markov on the UFA market of his caliber and even harder to find, one that is willing to sign here.

Edgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 04:45 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCanadienFan View Post
Not based on what I've seen him do in Hamilton so far.
How was he doing in Hamilton?

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 04:49 PM
Gainey#1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24stanleycups View Post
The people that think travis moen is just a disposable cap hit. Wake the **** up. He was a big part of the ducks stanley cups run in 2007, and he's been one of our best players. He's leading the team in goals!! christ some people will never get it. If you want to win the cup you have to surround the team with gritty canadians.
Well said.
Travis Moen is a big part of this team. I really hope we retain his services after this year.

People seem to want to let him walk as UFA this year...who do we replace him? Palushaj?!

Gainey#1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 05:30 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post
Well said.
Travis Moen is a big part of this team. I really hope we retain his services after this year.

People seem to want to let him walk as UFA this year...who do we replace him? Palushaj?!
The problem is not so much Moen, more then how misused Moen is by management itself. He should be a great 4th line player with a lot of pk time, big hits and 12-15 fights a year mostly from defending his teammates or picking sombody when we're losing and and the team shows no emotion. Instead we've seen him in a top 6 role for the last 18 months, including playoffs, on the softest team in the whole league. That being said, next summer UFA's include Gaustad, Tootoo, Campbell, Mcleod, Prust, Carcillo, Asham, Thornton, Parros, Barch, Konpoka and much more, so it's not like he's irreplacable.

Old
10-23-2011, 06:07 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
The problem is not so much Moen, more then how misused Moen is by management itself. He should be a great 4th line player with a lot of pk time, big hits and 12-15 fights a year mostly from defending his teammates or picking sombody when we're losing and and the team shows no emotion. Instead we've seen him in a top 6 role for the last 18 months, including playoffs, on the softest team in the whole league. That being said, next summer UFA's include Gaustad, Tootoo, Campbell, Mcleod, Prust, Carcillo, Asham, Thornton, Parros, Barch, Konpoka and much more, so it's not like he's irreplacable.
most of them are not close to the player Moen is...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 06:12 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
most of them are not close to the player Moen is...
But most of them would fill our 4th line needs A LOT more too, of course Moen has some aspects of his game where he is better then some mentionned. Our top 9 players all have contracts with the exception of Kostitsyn, whom I doubt will leave, so like I said, Moen is not a MUST, but a 4th line role where he would go back being a grinder would be well accepted with me.

Old
10-23-2011, 06:15 PM
Habs13

Yay!! Blunden!! At least we can see some hard hittig now as we loose all our games. I'm happy!

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 06:33 PM
Et le But

Quote:
I'd rather have Moen than most of those, but it depends on a lot really. Also depends on how White does when he returns. I definitely wouldn't mind Asham returning.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 06:40 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Moen has never been used as a top 6 guy full time at any point since he's been here, He's played an average of about 14 minutes a game including PK time. Top 6 guys typically get 18-20 minutes.

Right now you could argue that he SHOULD play top 6 minutes, he has 4 goals which is twice what anybody has despite only getting 13:33 per game.

Not sure what the big deal is that Moen plays a few games with skill players...Detroit plays Holstrom with their best players at times and his only skill is parking his a$$ in front of the net and hacking in rebounds.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 06:42 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Well said.

I definitely want Moen back but moreso at a lesser salary...2 years at around 2 mil.

Old
10-23-2011, 06:47 PM
Gainey#1*

Quote:
You are correct. However, it is not Moen's fault that he is being put in these situations. That is coaching.

Moen is an ideal 3rd/4th liner, with the ability to fill in a top 6 role every NOW AND THEN...when called upon.

What worries me though, is that even this summer we had the opportunity to sign some gritty 4th line role players, and passed on everyone.

Who is to say that Mr. Veggieman will sign any of the players you mentioned above?

Old
10-23-2011, 06:53 PM
hogtownhabsfan

Quote:
You are correct. However, it is not Moen's fault that he is being put in these situations. That is coaching.

Moen is an ideal 3rd/4th liner, with the ability to fill in a top 6 role every NOW AND THEN...when called upon.

What worries me though, is that even this summer we had the opportunity to sign some gritty 4th line role players, and passed on everyone.

Who is to say that Mr. Veggieman will sign any of the players you mentioned above?
Two of the first prospects PG acquired were Jarred Tinordi and Ian Schultz. PG is hardly anti toughness.

hogtownhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:18 PM
Gainey#1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Two of the first prospects PG acquired were Jarred Tinordi and Ian Schultz. PG is hardly anti toughness.
I agree to a certain extent. However, there is a time where you have to have toughness in your line-up NOW...not 3 years from now.

It is quite possible that Schultz will never make this team.

Tinordi, I think will be a key part to our future.

Who do we have in our line-up currently that is all grit all the time?

1) Travis Moen
2) Ryan White (injured)

That is all.

Old
10-23-2011, 07:28 PM
Andy

Quote:
He's also brought in Wisniewski, Mara, called up White. These are guys who are more physical and like to engage.

Another myth that gets thrown around is that PG likes small players. But he is also brought in Sopel(not small, not a fighter, not physical, but is not afraid of anyone), Blunden(traded smaller ryan russel for him) Cole, Nokelainen(traded smaller trotter for him), Mitera(smaller Carle), Eller, Shultz, Campoli(not small, not physical, but he's not afraid of anyone). He also went out and signed Yemelin. Tried to get Betts.

I mean can people after all that really say that PG likes small and not tough players? He hasn't brought in a fighter no, that's true, but that doesn't discredit the fact that he has been pushing for size, it's quite clear actually. Also when Gauthier acquired Schultz he speficifically said that Schultz brings a dimension the habs lack in their system, fighting and rough play and is why he sought him.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:30 PM
Gainey#1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
He's also brought in Wisniewski, Mara, called up White. These are guys who are more physical and like to engage.

Another myth that gets thrown around is that PG likes small players. But he is also brought in Sopel(not small, not a fighter, not physical, but is not afraid of anyone), Blunden(traded smaller ryan russel for him) Cole, Nokelainen(traded smaller trotter for him), Mitera(smaller Carle), Eller, Shultz, Campoli(not small, not physical, but he's not afraid of anyone). He also went out and signed Yemelin. Tried to get Betts.

I mean can people after all that really say that PG likes small and not tough players? He hasn't brought in a fighter no, that's true, but that doesn't discredit the fact that he has been pushing for size, it's quite clear actually.
All valid points. Except these players are not changing the dynamic of our team.

We still the opposition pushing Subban's head into the ice when he falls down, Price getting run over 2-3 times per game, etc.

Enough is enough already.

Old
10-23-2011, 07:47 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:

I doubt Gaustad makes it to UFA, but if he does Habs should go after him hard as they can. It's almost ridiculous how many team needs he'd fill. Other than probably Campbell and Prust, Habs are much better off with keeping Moen. The guy gets hated on here but he can match up against top players without being a liability and can play hockey. He's also a decent middleweight fighter. We just need to find a couple more 'Moens'.

Pacioretty, Kostitsyn, Cole, Eller, Moen, Gaustad, Prust, White and suddenly the Habs forwards don't look soft/small but none are a liability either.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 08:01 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I doubt Gaustad makes it to UFA, but if he does Habs should go after him hard as they can. It's almost ridiculous how many team needs he'd fill.
You ain't wrong there. I'd love it if we are able to land him in the summer. I'm a little surprised his fight card on hockey fights isn't a bit more impressive (but perhaps that just a result of seeing him against our smaller players so often) though as you said, he would fill many a role for us. He'd be quite pricey for a 4th liner (he already makes $2.3m) but if we have the cap space and if we can use him to take the load of a guy like Pleks on the PK and put his faceoff skills to use then it may well be worth it.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 08:23 PM
holyhabs87

Like I said, Palushaj is useless as a 4th liner....Engqvist is just nowehere near NHL calibre yet (If he ever will be)...these moves are not surprising. Too bad White is out, he could give us a nice spark...hopefully, Bluden is able to do that in the mean time.

holyhabs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 08:35 PM
smon

Quote:
Nope, but it is a fact that Jacques Martin does not care for enforcers. And I actually agree with that. I wouldn't count on seeing Ian Schultz playing as a goon in the bigs anytime soon.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
Nope, but it is a fact that Jacques Martin does not care for enforcers. And I actually agree with that. I wouldn't count on seeing Ian Schultz playing as a goon in the bigs anytime soon.
It's not that he doesn't care for enforcers...he's had a ton of tough players on his teams over the years....he likes playing 4 lines so he doesn't want a thung sitting most of the game and just fighting, thus screwing up the lines.

Old
10-23-2011, 09:01 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

So is this Blunden guy any way physical?

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:09 PM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
It's not that he doesn't care for enforcers...he's had a ton of tough players on his teams over the years....he likes playing 4 lines so he doesn't want a thung sitting most of the game and just fighting, thus screwing up the lines.
You're just agreeing with me. That's exactly what an enforcer is, a thug who sits on the bench and plays 4 minutes a game. Martin's never liked those kinds of players, didn't want Laraque, didn't want Andre Roy in Ottawa, etc.. tough players are somewhat different. Those are guys like Moen who can hit and fight, but aren't a liability in the rest of the game.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:18 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Like I was saying....the 4th line was not doing their job. We'll see if the next "contestants" will....Still not an ideal 4th line though.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote