HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Questions of the Week

Old
10-23-2011, 07:30 PM
Krampus
Call me Nils

vCash: 420
Questions of the Week

Came up with the idea for this a few days ago. If people like it, I'll make it weekly. Feel free to leave suggestions.

Rangers:
1. When will Sauer be back, and who's spot does he take?
2. Will this be the loudest home opener in years?
3. Should Stepan stick on the top line?
4. Can the pack line return to last year's shape?
5. Is Gabby back, and can we expect 40+ goals?

League:
1. Will Quick keep up his strong play, and be considered top 5 by the end of the year?
2. When will the BJ's win, and Washington lose?
3. At a recent game, Phoenix sold 7,000 tickets, and 4,000 showed. When, and where are they moving out?
4. Is Boston going to falter, because of their reliance on Thomas?
5. Same as 4, but Montreal, and Price.

Feel free to answer any, or all the questions. If you have a question you want to be put here, PM me, and I'll put it in, and give credit.

Krampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:47 PM
fiedy88

vCash: 983
Rangers:
1. I expect Sauer back by at least the first week in November at the latest. Pairings will be Girardi/McD, Sauer/MDZ, Eminger/Erixon
2. I say yes, because I'm going, so I'll make it that loud.
3. Yes, he's filling the gap for now.
4. Seeing as how Dubi was on the top line for 33% of the season so far, I think they can get back into the swing of things.
5. Yes, and yes.

fiedy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 08:00 PM
NYRSchrute217

vCash: 500
1. Sauer will be back by the Home Opener
2. Maybe. The Boogaard ceremony will be incredibly emotional
3. Yes. Keep the top 6 the way it is right now.
4. They can regain form, certainly. Right away? Who knows
5. He's back, but 40 goals is a still lot to ask for. The way he's playing though, he could do it. I think anywhere from 35-45 is reasonable.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 08:43 PM
Alvvays
Man Girardi

vCash: 50
Rangers:

Quote:
Hopefully he's back for Thursday's game, and I believe he will take the spot of Woywitka/Bell -- whichever is playing at the time. I would not be surprised if he was out for another few games, however, he hasn't even been cleared for contact yet.

Quote:
Could be, especially with the Boogaard ceremony. Near 1 month is a long time to wait for your first home game of the season.

Quote:
I think he should stay there, he's looked very creative and smart on that line, more so than before. The pass he made to Gaborik in Calgary was the kind of pass that Joe Thornton or Henrik Sedin would make, a beauty, essentially. He adds a dimension of skill and intelligence that no other player in the lineup could provide (maybe Zuccarello, but he's too small to succeed on that particular line, IMO)

Quote:
Don't see why not, just seems like a rusty start for them, IMO. A lot of it derives from all the PK time they've logged early on in the season.

Quote:
With the way he's been playing, I wouldn't rule out 50 - however, it's still only 7 games in. Realistically, 40 goals seems about right, given that he plays in nearly all of the game.

League:

Quote:
1. Will Quick keep up his strong play, and be considered top 5 by the end of the year?
Yes. Overall improvement within the defensive core and the addition of Mike Richards will go a long way in helping Quick achieve "elite" status.

Quote:
Columbus - will lose another 4/5 games, then blowout a top-tier team, thus saving Arniel and Howson from being let go og.

Washington - 3 more.

Quote:
3. At a recent game, Phoenix sold 7,000 tickets, and 4,000 showed. When, and where are they moving out?
Don't know about when, but it could be as early as next season. If they do, I see it being Quebec that gets the team.

Quote:
They're going to falter due to the ever-famous "Stanley Cup Hangover". These guys seem a bit complacent, aside from Seguin. They'll still make the playoffs, but they won't be winning the division.

Quote:
Yes, will pick top-10 this season, IMO, unless they get rid of Martin. Injuries + a lack of size and depth will do them in.

10-23-2011, 08:48 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Rangers:

1. Home opener and he will take either Eminger or Woywitka's spot. The other will be the healthy scratch.

2. Definitely. With Richards being announced, Gaborik back in form being announced, and Callahan being announced Captain, the opening ceremony will be electric. I wouldn't be surprised if an earth quake occurred. If we score goals, it will be nuts.

3. For now yes, it is working very well. If it falters, try someone else.

4. Of course it can and it will. Give it another few games. I think they come out very strong against Winnipeg after laying that egg in Edmonton.

5. Yes he's back. 40 goals? Definitely can happen, question is will it happen. He is flying out there and is the Gabby of 09-10. As long as he stays healthy, no reason why he can't pot 35-50 goals.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:27 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Rangers:

Quote:
Sauer is looking to be back by the home opener. If he isn't ready for that then that second home game should be the absolute latest that he will return. He is getting a lot closer to game shape and is starting to push himself harder in practice. He may need a game in the AHL before he's fully ready to go.

When Sauer comes back he will be taking Woywitika/Bell's spot. I have liked the way Eminger and Erixon have played, and Del Zotto is still playing better than last year so I don't believe his spot is in jepordy.

Quote:
I truly think it depends on the outcome of the game against Winnipeg. If we can find a way to get a win tomorrow then the Garden should be amped for the game on Thursday. If we lose tomorrow the game on Thursday will be more tame but still pretty loud. I think it should be fairly loud just for the fact that it's been so long in the season already before our first home game. A lot of pent up energy.

Quote:
I am going to say temporarily yes. I say that because that line has shown some flashes to this point, but they haven't been incredible. I'm a little hesitant because Dubinsky, who I'd rather have on that line, has been terrible and Wolski isn't ready to get those minutes yet.

Quote:
I believe that they will return to form. I think right now they are all just trying to do too much. I also believe that they are the most fatigued from the road trip. Let's face it, that line has never been flashy offensively, so they really haven't changed much this year, they are just a little to predictable and slow to make their moves.

Quote:
I believe that Gaborik is back. He has that speed that I didn't see all of last year. He is using that speed to create plenty of opportunities and space. With Richards feeding him the puck I believe he should return back to form. Whether he gets injured or not is a different story unfortunately.

League:

Quote:
I believe that Quick will stay pretty strong throughout the course of the year. He has a very good defense in front of him and he is already a quality goalie. I don't however feel he will play well enough to be in the top 5 this year.

1) Henrik Lundqvist
2) Tim Thomas
3) Ryan Miller
4) Pekka Rinne
5) Ward/Price/etc.

In no particular order for the list above. He may be able to put up numbers close to top 5 but I never really considered him a top 5 goalie.

Quote:
Washington's first lose may come against Vancouver on October 29th.

Columbus's first win may come November 3rd against Toronto.

Quote:
I don't see Phoenix moving for at least 2 years. Unfortunately I see Quebec being the first destination, followed closely by Seattle.

Quote:
I think injuries are a concern for them right now and they are forced to rely on Thomas. I think last year they were so good because Thomas had a record year and they had to rely on him. I could see them faltering somewhat this year if Thomas doesn't put up numbers close to what he did last year.

Quote:
I think Montreal has more of a chance to falter then Boston. Montreal doesn't have as many quality forwards and they are a much smaller team which could make them easier to push around. I think both goalies are equally important to their respective teams and any slip ups could cost the team some games.

10-23-2011, 09:33 PM
Alvvays
Man Girardi

vCash: 50
Rinne and Miller are overrated.

Quick has been one of the best goalies in the league for the past two seasons -- probably the best to start this season. 3 straight shutouts. Unreal.

Besides, Weber has been garbage, and the Preds don't exactly've the deepest D in the NHL. Rinne won't get the defensive help he has gotten in the past few years.

That said, he's still a phenomenal goalie.

Alvvays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:39 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
Rinne and Miller are overrated.

Quick has been one of the best goalies in the league for the past two seasons -- probably the best to start this season. 3 straight shutouts. Unreal.

Besides, Weber has been garbage, and the Preds don't exactly've the deepest D in the NHL. Rinne won't get the defensive help he has gotten in the past few years.

That said, he's still a phenomenal goalie.
That's true that both goalies are overrated (one more so then the other) but nils never really explained what he meant by top 5 goalies. Does he mean based on stats? Does he mean based purely on skill?

If he talking about stats then I believe that Quick will have enough talent in front of him to put of top 5 goalie numbers this year. If he is talking top 5 based on purely skill I personally wouldn't quite put Quick into the top 5, but he is right near there.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote