HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrick Roy - GM or Coach?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-23-2011, 08:58 PM
  #151
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by old scotia View Post
Would he better with the habs as our Gm or Coach?
Neither. What skills has he shown at the q level that can be applied to the NHL? He has the biggest market(attendance and $$$) in the Q and has never won a QMJHL title, what does that tell you?

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 08:59 PM
  #152
AntonCH
Registered User
 
AntonCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,743
vCash: 500
Roy for coach / Gm of the habs is the NEW Vinnie to the Habs for.......

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:02 PM
  #153
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,820
vCash: 500
He should be both.

This org. needs serious balls.

I just want him to punch Rejaune in the face after a stupid question.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:04 PM
  #154
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
He should be both.

This org. needs serious balls.

I just want him to punch Rejaune in the face after a stupid question.
Actually, we should hire him as head of media relations...

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:06 PM
  #155
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!
 
Mathradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,502
vCash: 500
Roy may not have won a QMJHL title but the year he did come close to a QMJHL title, he won the Memorial Cup. Is a QMJHL title worth more on a coach's resume than a Memorial Cup win?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
Roy for coach / Gm of the habs is the NEW Vinnie to the Habs for.......
Back in the day where we still had Halak and Ryder... it was Ryder, Halak and a 2nd.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:10 PM
  #156
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,763
vCash: 500
Pretty tough question to answer. At one point, the ideal would be to be a coach first and then go up to the GM position. My problem with Roy, is that I don't see him working with Gauthier AT ALL. And the idea is that he would probably like to have both roles. So either you are able to find a GM that he will work with without any problems....whether you hire him for both jobs.....or just forget the coaching and hire him as a GM.

Though if true.....be ready for Hartley to become the next Habs coach. I wouldn't necessarily have any problems with that. Mostly based on the fact that this position is just interchangeable. If it doesn't work with Hartley, there will be other people.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:30 PM
  #157
Le CH
Registered User
 
Le CH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,242
vCash: 500
Given the emotional make-up of the fanbase + media (i.e bi-polar, overly emotional), I want management who can temper this with a reasoned, level-headed approach. Bringing in Roy would lead to the equivalent of a side-show/freak circus atmosphere and that is not the route I want this organisation to take - this would only make it that much more difficult to sign top-shelf talent.

Le CH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:37 PM
  #158
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 21,820
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le CH View Post
Given the emotional make-up of the fanbase + media (i.e bi-polar, overly emotional), I want management who can temper this with a reasoned, level-headed approach. Bringing in Roy would lead to the equivalent of a side-show/freak circus atmosphere and that is not the route I want this organisation to take - this would only make it that much more difficult to sign top-shelf talent.
With the exception of one brawl in Quebec, Roy has been an excellent guide to his Junior team. Good drafting, good managing, good coach.

Also I can garantee you that Roy would make the Habs a more spirited team and talent would want to sign here in drove.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:41 PM
  #159
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,763
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le CH View Post
Given the emotional make-up of the fanbase + media (i.e bi-polar, overly emotional), I want management who can temper this with a reasoned, level-headed approach. Bringing in Roy would lead to the equivalent of a side-show/freak circus atmosphere and that is not the route I want this organisation to take - this would only make it that much more difficult to sign top-shelf talent.
To think that Roy will come in and just Tortorella everybody is to think he's just plain stupid. And while some might question his intelligence, there's a limit to how stupid he could be. Roy will adapt to the situation and will not want to trade guys every 2 games.

But if you think he'll be exactly the same at the NHL level than he his at the Junior level, I don't get your "sign top-shelf talent" comment. That's exactly what he's doing in Juniors. He's able to attract guys that might not have chosen Juniors to play their hockey. And most of those guys are top-end talent.

Now, it is a different ballgame in the NHL. Everybody knows that. But if the guy succeeds? And what if the guys that have a choice between 2 or 3 teams and a team lead by Roy, a guy known for his successes, a guy known for his commitment and the fact that he doesn't like to lose....why wouldn't you come here?

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:42 PM
  #160
Lions999
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 674
vCash: 500
Hartley coach and GM Roy

Lions999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:53 PM
  #161
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
To think that Roy will come in and just Tortorella everybody is to think he's just plain stupid. And while some might question his intelligence, there's a limit to how stupid he could be. Roy will adapt to the situation and will not want to trade guys every 2 games.

But if you think he'll be exactly the same at the NHL level than he his at the Junior level, I don't get your "sign top-shelf talent" comment. That's exactly what he's doing in Juniors. He's able to attract guys that might not have chosen Juniors to play their hockey. And most of those guys are top-end talent.

Now, it is a different ballgame in the NHL. Everybody knows that. But if the guy succeeds? And what if the guys that have a choice between 2 or 3 teams and a team lead by Roy, a guy known for his successes, a guy known for his commitment and the fact that he doesn't like to lose....why wouldn't you come here?
Montreal is just about the most media intense place to play on the planet and I'm sure that some players would think twice about coming here for that reason to begin with. Factor in Roy and his huge ego and I think it might be enough to turn some players away.

Maybe I'm wrong and maybe the guy would be the best thing to ever happen to us but I really think he could do a lot more harm than good here.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:18 PM
  #162
SergeConstantin74
Always right.
 
SergeConstantin74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,761
vCash: 500
I don't know if he's ready for NHL. However, what I know is that I've seen him get better every season since 2005.

As someone mentioned, I really don't see him working with Gauthier.

Roy has the Quebec job waiting for him once they get a team.

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:34 PM
  #163
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Country: United States
Posts: 7,543
vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Factor in Roy and his huge ego and I think it might be enough to turn some players away.

Maybe I'm wrong and maybe the guy would be the best thing to ever happen to us but I really think he could do a lot more harm than good here.
Do you ever hear his players talking bad about him? Or do you hear his ex players talking about how he helped them develop into better players?

His ego hasn't affected any of the players that play for him, of all the players that don't work out and don't make the NHL, do you hear any of them bad mouthing him?

I wonder why not?

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:38 PM
  #164
AntonCH
Registered User
 
AntonCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Do you ever hear his players talking bad about him? Or do you hear his ex players talking about how he helped them develop into better players?

His ego hasn't affected any of the players that play for him, of all the players that don't work out and don't make the NHL, do you hear any of them bad mouthing him?

I wonder why not?
Because they're trying to bust into the NHL and he can easily stand in their way

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:39 PM
  #165
groovejuice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,138
vCash: 500
I think success in the Q is a far cry from success in the NHL. On top of that former Habs players have a pretty poor track record as coaches...

groovejuice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:48 PM
  #166
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!
 
Mathradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,502
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Do you ever hear his players talking bad about him? Or do you hear his ex players talking about how he helped them develop into better players?

His ego hasn't affected any of the players that play for him, of all the players that don't work out and don't make the NHL, do you hear any of them bad mouthing him?

I wonder why not?
Radulov is a prototypical product of Roy; does he speak good or ill of Roy?

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:49 PM
  #167
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Country: United States
Posts: 7,543
vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Radulov is a prototypical product of Roy; does he speak good or ill of Roy?
He's never said a bad thing about him.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:51 PM
  #168
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Country: United States
Posts: 7,543
vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
Because they're trying to bust into the NHL and he can easily stand in their way
I said all the players who are already busts. Players that haven't been drafted, players that were drafted but never went no where.

I wonder why they don't speak badly of him and bash him in the media for attention ...

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:58 PM
  #169
SergeConstantin74
Always right.
 
SergeConstantin74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,761
vCash: 500
Angelo Esposito didn't develop as expected under Roy and he was traded before his final season in junior but he never had a bad word about him. Philippe Lecavalier mentioned how the way Quebec treated Esposito helped attract Anthony Duclair.

What I've heard from former players is that he his very demanding but if you work hard, you'll never have any problem with him. He is very hard on his veterans when they need it though and it always pays off.

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 11:02 PM
  #170
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
He's never said a bad thing about him.
Maybe he didn't have a problem with him. Heck, maybe he liked him. Then again, maybe he hated him but didn't feel like talking about it publicly. What would there be to gain by publicly saying that you hate Patrick Roy? I don't see an upside there... In any event, I don't know. I'm not sitting here saying he's an awful guy or that all players would hate to play for him.

I just think he'd bring drama to place that already has enough of it and he wouldn't be my first choice as GM or coach. I don't think he's right for us.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 11:03 PM
  #171
Bloumeister
Gros chef bandit
 
Bloumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: @Bloumeister
Posts: 5,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I said all the players who are already busts. Players that haven't been drafted, players that were drafted but never went no where.

I wonder why they don't speak badly of him and bash him in the media for attention ...
Because no one cares about them?

"EXTRA! EXTRA! Two ex fourth liners from the Remparts speak out against Roy! The lack of PP time, the benching, the eggless egg sandwiches on the bus, the destroying of door frames and office furniture... Read all about it!!!"


Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 11:03 PM
  #172
AntonCH
Registered User
 
AntonCH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I said all the players who are already busts. Players that haven't been drafted, players that were drafted but never went no where.

I wonder why they don't speak badly of him and bash him in the media for attention ...
Roy hasn't been around long enough for the skeletons to come out of the closet

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 11:04 PM
  #173
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Country: United States
Posts: 7,543
vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Maybe he didn't have a problem with him. Heck, maybe he liked him. Then again, maybe he hated him but didn't feel like talking about it publicly. What would there be to gain by publicly saying that you hate Patrick Roy? I don't see an upside there... In any event, I don't know. I'm not sitting here saying he's an awful guy or that some players might like to play for him.

I just think he'd bring drama to place that already has enough of it and he wouldn't be my first choice as GM or coach. I don't think he's right for us.
and my point is, I have proven with fact that he doesn't bring drama, its just a copout brought up by people who don't like Roy, that he brings drama / that he has an ego that hurts his team.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 11:06 PM
  #174
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Country: United States
Posts: 7,543
vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post
Because no one cares about them?

"EXTRA! EXTRA! Two ex fourth liners from the Remparts speak out against Roy! The lack of PP time, the benching, the eggless egg sandwiches on the bus, the destroying of door frames and office furniture... Read all about it!!!"

Have you not heard of the Montreal media? That is what they thrive on, nobodies making a case out of nothing, how do you think the darkest day came to be, the media over reacting on negativity, they search the **** out.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 11:06 PM
  #175
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
and my point is, I have proven with fact that he doesn't bring drama, its just a copout brought up by people who don't like Roy, that he brings drama / that he has an ego that hurts his team.
I love Roy. But that doesn't mean I want him for GM or coach. It's just a difference of opinion man. I think he'd be a disaster here but who knows? You could be right and he might be exactly what we need.

I just don't think so.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.