HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Patrick Roy - GM or Coach?

Old
10-24-2011, 12:15 AM
Bloumeister
Food Court Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Have you not heard of the Montreal media? That is what they thrive on, nobodies making a case out of nothing, how do you think the darkest day came to be, the media over reacting on negativity, they search the **** out.
If anything, the press has sheltered players like Lafleur and Roy more often than they painted them in a bad light. That being said, if the story was big and juicy enough, any Montréal media would run with it and milk it to the last drop, so by twisting your comment and making an easy/cheap joke of it, I'm actually proving your point!

You can thank me now, or find a way to put my name on the Stanley Cup later, when the Habs win it. Way, way later

Bloumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 12:30 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I love Roy. But that doesn't mean I want him for GM or coach. It's just a difference of opinion man. I think he'd be a disaster here but who knows? You could be right and he might be exactly what we need.

I just don't think so.
Maybe he would be a disaster, maybe not. But we tried one way for 10 years now. Let's try another method.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 12:31 AM
macavoy

Quote:
I love Roy. But that doesn't mean I want him for GM or coach. It's just a difference of opinion man. I think he'd be a disaster here but who knows? You could be right and he might be exactly what we need.

I just don't think so.
lol

now your twisting what I said,

I don't want him here, I just hate the way people blindly bash him for having an ego or temper when that isn't him.
I think he's the totally wrong fit for our team I am tired of rookie coaches. I just have a problem with people fabricating stories about his in abilities.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 12:54 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
Maybe he would be a disaster, maybe not. But we tried one way for 10 years now. Let's try another method.
We tried that method and got our championship team run into the ground by fools in the mid 90s. **** no.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:01 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
lol

now your twisting what I said,

I don't want him here, I just hate the way people blindly bash him for having an ego or temper when that isn't him.
I think he's the totally wrong fit for our team I am tired of rookie coaches. I just have a problem with people fabricating stories about his in abilities.
Dude, nobody is fabricating anything. I just see him as a potential disaster that we should avoid. If others disagree that's cool.

And you agree with me? Dude, I get enough posts bashing me from people who disagree with me so if you actually agree with me on something, please... go argue with somebody else.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:15 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Lemme see...

speak french
ex-Habs
no NHL experience as a head coach

meh, I remember all too well the last one to fit these criterias.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:20 AM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by old scotia View Post
Would he better with the habs as our Gm or Coach?
Neither at all. Last thing we need is a hot head running the team in any way shape or form. But I guess whoever runs the team has to speak french so hire him!

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:26 AM
Habs Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyzombies View Post
Ironically, it was a hothead that made Roy leave town. WHy would we put Roy, who is a hothead, in charge of anything? Martin has gotten everything he can out of this team. Our scouting staff is the problem imo. We've missed franchise players, even tho we did steal PK. Debatable whether I'd want Kopitar or Price at this point. No size on this team is hurting us, and I think Roy would address that issue. You could say our GM's have been TOO patient. But I don't want a hothead either.
Martin has gotten everything that he can from this team???? I beg to differ...

This is a team that has a ton of potential, but the wrong coaching staff and philosophy. This organization has completely dropped the ball by losing Guy Boucher, and Kirk Muller... something I fear we'll end up paying for for years to come.

Habs Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:37 AM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Man View Post
Martin has gotten everything that he can from this team???? I beg to differ...

This is a team that has a ton of potential, but the wrong coaching staff and philosophy. This organization has completely dropped the ball by losing Guy Boucher, and Kirk Muller... something I fear we'll end up paying for for years to come.
I just think he meant that the team is just not into Martin and his system anymore. Martin has never got the most out of our team other than our Goalies and defense. Offense not at all. Martin is a pre lockout coach like Savard in calgary.

Notice how the past cup winners since the lockout played somewhat of a run and gun style and how the trap teams lose? It's clear to me that Martin needs to go, I fully respect the guy I know he's hurting and I know he feels terrible. I really like the guy he seems like a good person. As a coach?..He's past his time.

As for Roy he needs a few yrs in the Q and the AHL before he's even considered to be a coach or GM in the NHL.

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:52 AM
Et le But

Maybe we should bring back Mario Tremblay.

He sure was passionate.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 02:29 AM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Roy may not have won a QMJHL title but the year he did come close to a QMJHL title, he won the Memorial Cup. Is a QMJHL title worth more on a coach's resume than a Memorial Cup win?

Back in the day where we still had Halak and Ryder... it was Ryder, Halak and a 2nd.
I was thinking the same thing... (about Quebec winning the mem. cup a few years back, I could have sworn St. Pat was coaching, but my memory has been known to play tricks on me)

Furthermore, to add to this, was it not the FIRST memorial cup the Q has seen since the early 80's?

His team is competitive, and I already know he would light a fire under this team's ass, because he would NEVER let Carey get hung out, like JM leaves him out there... Furthermore. another thing to think about is the fact that Patrick was world class face of the franchise goalie... What better option to place as the leader of the team, than another goalie in a mould that we all hope Carey is.

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 05:49 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Maybe he didn't have a problem with him. Heck, maybe he liked him. Then again, maybe he hated him but didn't feel like talking about it publicly. What would there be to gain by publicly saying that you hate Patrick Roy? I don't see an upside there... In any event, I don't know. I'm not sitting here saying he's an awful guy or that all players would hate to play for him.

I just think he'd bring drama to place that already has enough of it and he wouldn't be my first choice as GM or coach. I don't think he's right for us.
When he was demoted in the AHL in his first season with Nashville, he called Roy and asked him to come back to Quebec. Is that the answer you were looking for?

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 06:28 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
There most certainly is basis to question his ability to keep his cool.

Maybe.

Or maybe he'd get pissed off with him one day and throw him under the bus... You just never know with that guy.

Why have a showdown at all? We don't need the drama. If a player is slacking have the coach handle it or trade him. Sorry, but I see Roy as being just about the worst coach/GM that we could ask for in Montreal.

He was a great goalie for us and I love the guy, but not as coach or GM.
I doubt you point on Price very much. If anyone understands what it's like to be a Goaltender for the habs, it's Patrick Roy, he wouldn't throw him under the bus like he, himself, was thrown under the bus, these claims are completely baseless. Price would likely thrive with the presence of someone like Patrick who he most likely adored as a child.

Roy would turn this team around. I have no doubt about it. His passion and drive to being the best is what separated him as the best goaltender in the league for years. The guy is 100% committed to winning and would be a welcome addition to the habs brass.

Last edited by habsjunkie2*: 10-24-2011 at 06:34 AM.
habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 10:03 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I doubt you point on Price very much. If anyone understands what it's like to be a Goaltender for the habs, it's Patrick Roy, he wouldn't throw him under the bus like he, himself, was thrown under the bus, these claims are completely baseless. Price would likely thrive with the presence of someone like Patrick who he most likely adored as a child.

Roy would turn this team around. I have no doubt about it. His passion and drive to being the best is what separated him as the best goaltender in the league for years. The guy is 100% committed to winning and would be a welcome addition to the habs brass.
By that logic Budaj would be the other player who will not be thrown under the bus no matter what.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 03:48 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post

I was semi-kidding on the Price example. I want to say I was completely kidding except that I could actually see it happening.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 03:48 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
By that logic Budaj would be the other player who will not be thrown under the bus no matter what.
Yes, because that makes a whole ton of sense and definitely re-enforces what I was saying

Old
10-24-2011, 03:58 PM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

vCash: 50
Chris Stevenson of the Toronto Sun has three names: Benoit Groulx, Patrick Roy and Kirk Muller.

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/10/23...ch-on-hot-seat

Benoit Groulx and Patrick Roy get along really well. I wouldn't mind Groulx as a coach and Roy as a GM. It would be an entertaining duo.

Probably won't happen though.

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 06:00 PM
old scotia

Patrick Roy will be a coach and or a GM in the NHL at some point. Guaranteed. I wish Patrick Roy could split in two and do both the coaching and the general managing but that won't happen so I'd have to pick him as GM.

old scotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 06:24 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
We tried that method and got our championship team run into the ground by fools in the mid 90s. **** no.
What do you mean? Réjan Houle was a naive fool, he couldn't run a hockey club because he was too much of a nice guy.

Old
10-25-2011, 06:27 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Maybe we should bring back Mario Tremblay.

He sure was passionate.
He had no coaching experience. Roy has. Roy also has management experience. More than Serge Savard before becoming Habs GM.

Old
10-25-2011, 07:37 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
He had no coaching experience. Roy has. Roy also has management experience. More than Serge Savard before becoming Habs GM.
Roy has experience...but he's been in the Q for what 6-7 years and has never won anything at that level. He won the Memorial cup but lost in the Q final that year and had to go in the back door, that doesn't exist in the NHL.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 07:54 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Roy has experience...but he's been in the Q for what 6-7 years and has never won anything at that level. He won the Memorial cup but lost in the Q final that year and had to go in the back door, that doesn't exist in the NHL.
He's never won anything, but he won the memorial cup. Good one. What has PG and JM won? A memorial cup, lol.