HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brett Connolly

Old
10-18-2011, 12:28 PM
AllAbout813

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Downie View Post
Intense.
No doubt.

AllAbout813 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 12:06 AM
TBLbrian

I thought tonight's game was by far the best we've seen from him. Showed some grit, and skill. He fit right in with Lecavalier/St.Louis, in fact he looked as good as both of them. A couple of bounces in his favor he could have easily scored a couple tonight.

if he plays more games like this I feel like we are better team with him in the lineup. When he develops in that frame of his, with his hands and offensive awareness he will 100% be a top line NHLer

TBLbrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 08:49 PM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1159
He stays. He was a force out there tonight. Didn't get any goals, but he had a ton of solid chances and his play to set up St. Louis' goal was great. Plays well in his own zone, too.

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:43 AM
snowden
Man is matter

Easily his best game. Had a bunch of shots and didn't look as hesitant as before. Needs to knock off the diving crap, though.

snowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:47 AM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowden View Post
Easily his best game. Had a bunch of shots and didn't look as hesitant as before. Needs to knock off the diving crap, though.
He's not diving, he's just still getting used to skating after that hip injury 2 years ago.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:13 AM
dbieon12
Stamkos HOF

He's good. Bigger than I thought he'd be already.

dbieon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 06:36 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Hey guys big Connolly fan, so is it looking likely that he's going to stick the whole year?

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:34 PM
zeykshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post
Hey guys big Connolly fan, so is it looking likely that he's going to stick the whole year?
IMO he can't learn any more from Juniors. Since he isn't 20, we can't send him to the AHL. To send him back to juniors would be a waste. Id keep him up and let him play in 60 or so games to see how he handles it.

Kid is going to be real good once he grows into is body.

zeykshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:53 PM
IdealisticSniper

Based on his performances the last two games I think he will stay and this will be a growing season for him and we will start to actually see what he can do next season.

I just dont understand why he cant stay on his skates very well, and I cant tell if hes actually falling all the time or hes diving all over the place trying to get calls. Either way it needs to stop ASAP.

IdealisticSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 07:07 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
Based on his performances the last two games I think he will stay and this will be a growing season for him and we will start to actually see what he can do next season.

I just dont understand why he cant stay on his skates very well, and I cant tell if hes actually falling all the time or hes diving all over the place trying to get calls. Either way it needs to stop ASAP.
He fell over like a redwood after the whistle had blown on his first shift of the game against Buffalo. It was a dive.

If he was having a hard time skating, he'd be falling in different ways, but he keeps acting like he's been tripped.

He wasn't falling over anywhere near as much the first few games of the season.

Felonious Python is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 10:01 AM
LightningStrikes

vCash: 50
Classless.

LightningStrikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:16 PM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
He fell over like a redwood after the whistle had blown on his first shift of the game against Buffalo. It was a dive.

If he was having a hard time skating, he'd be falling in different ways, but he keeps acting like he's been tripped.

I haven't seen replays but I can't see that being diving, he does it too many times... if it was it should already been called at least once IMO

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 02:15 PM
Rschmitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post

I remember that. it was after the whistle, would be absolutely pointless for him to dive then, and he got up like nothing happened. I agree that it definitely looked like a dive, but the circumstances suggest a different explanation.

Rschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 04:39 PM
The Cowboy Poet

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveChrisNeil View Post
The Cougars named Jesse Forsberg captain a few weeks ago, and had no mention of "interim" captain in their press release, which makes me think they've been told by the Lightning that he won't be returning. I guess we will find out for sure after Tuesday.

The Cowboy Poet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 05:34 PM
I Am Beat You

He's had at least 3 blatant dives in the past 2 games that I can recall, which is pretty sad. Other than that he's been solid though.

I Am Beat You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 05:35 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cowboy Poet View Post
The Cougars named Jesse Forsberg captain a few weeks ago, and had no mention of "interim" captain in their press release, which makes me think they've been told by the Lightning that he won't be returning. I guess we will find out for sure after Tuesday.
If they call him 'interim', then he's only 'temporarily' the captain. Connolly might get returned, but not get his letter back. He's missed a bunch of games as it is for the Cougars, but doesn't need a letter to lead.

Fun Fact (also untrue): Brett Connolly originally wanted to be a diver, but with his oddly shapen, oversized melon, it was never meant to be. He still pursues his passion during Lightning games whenever somebody's stick gets near his ankles.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 10-24-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old
10-24-2011, 07:54 PM
snowden
Man is matter

Any of you Prince George fans notice him diving much in the WHL or is this a new thing?

And he really does have an odd head haha. His helmet just looks funny on him.

snowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 08:16 PM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1159
I don't know if he's diving... just the way he's been falling. He might just be having trouble staying on his skates. Maybe he's not used to the ice in Tampa or something? Some of them just seem too comical to actually be dives, but maybe that's just me.

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 09:09 PM
Going Back to Cally
Sons of Pirates

vCash: 286
Mike Corcoran did an interview with Yzerman tonight as part of his new radio show airing every Monday night at 7PM on ESPN 1040 and judging by Yzerman's comments I'd say he's here to stay.

http://www.espnflorida.com/hockey-ni...how-in-review/

Going Back to Cally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 09:54 PM
Canadian Chris

vCash: 748
Quote:
Any of you Prince George fans notice him diving much in the WHL or is this a new thing?

That's the thing I always noticed about Connolly. I watched him a bit when he played Major Midget, found he was on the ice knocked over a fair bit. I figured, growing and getting used to his size/body. As a 16yr old with the Cougars, again, noticed he was on the ice a fair bit...chalked that one up to playing against bigger/stronger players. Obviously throw out his 2nd year with the Cougars as it never really got off the ground...but then last year of the 36 home games, I saw probably 25 of them, and again, for a bigger, stronger guy, he was quite often on the ice.

I think it's just kind of the way he is. He's strong on the puck, will embellish if need be - but I can't think of many (if any) players that don't. But I don't believe him hitting the ice as much as he does, is about diving. Just sort of the way he is I suppose.

Was definitely hoping TB would send him back to PG this year, even though I've since moved, the Cougars are still a team I follow quite closely. Definitely could've used him in the line up this past weekend, two, 1-0 defeats to the Americans!

Canadian Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 10:00 PM
HockeyTownUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrickov View Post
Mike Corcoran did an interview with Yzerman tonight as part of his new radio show airing every Monday night at 7PM on ESPN 1040 and judging by Yzerman's comments I'd say he's here to stay.

http://www.espnflorida.com/hockey-ni...how-in-review/
I don't hear that at all. Yzerman is crafty. I am left to believe it is 50-50 after listening. He says he has the skills and has been effective while not putting up the stats, but he made it a point to say 2x that his stats weren't there.

HockeyTownUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 06:13 AM
Vasilevskiy
I've many surnames

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAB4Norris View Post
I don't know if he's diving... just the way he's been falling. He might just be having trouble staying on his skates. Maybe he's not used to the ice in Tampa or something? Some of them just seem too comical to actually be dives, but maybe that's just me.
This is what I think, those dives look too bad to be done on purpose

Vasilevskiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 06:48 AM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Part of what I think he's doing is mixing in what could be interpreted as dives, and diving for the puck, trying to knock it free. He's like a cheeser in NHL 12 who flops all over the ice, blocking passing and shooting lanes, jabbing his stick in there, trying to make you lose possession.

I can bet that's not part of Boucher's intended structure, having guys gliding on their bellies. That's also why he seems to get pulled off for a bit after he's done that. That means the little man also gets to play less, and you don't do that to the little man. He needs to be out there.

Connolly needs to move his feet, but that's not to say that laying down and gliding doesn't have it's place. There's still breakaways that can be thwarted, and sometimes it's the price needed to pay to blocking a shot. (although keeping upright would generally be preferred, and breakaways shouldn't be happening in the first place, but they still will)

It's the idea that he's trying to get penalties called on guys who didn't earn them; that's diving. An NHL player shouldn't have his ankles together like they got pulled out from under him, after the whistle had blown. Dive. 2 minutes.

Last edited by Felonious Python: 10-25-2011 at 07:05 AM.
Old
10-25-2011, 05:19 PM
Htial

Quote:

Cougar fan here. I may be biased but I never noticed much diving from him. Don't recall him even getting many diving penalties, if any at all.

On a side note I'm really hoping Tampa sends him back. The Cougars are 3-8-0-1 and his 50+ goals would make a huge difference, or he would be good to trade to a playoff bound team for some good young talent.

Htial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 11:37 PM
tightightight

As per DC, he stays!!!

Quote:
Brett Connolly will be sticking with the Lightning, GM Steve Yzerman said late Tuesday night.

tightightight is offline   Reply With Quote