HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2nd period benching of Oshie

Old
10-23-2011, 12:57 PM
Frenzy1

vCash: 500
2nd period benching of Oshie

Is anyone else a little dumb founded by this? I get that he made a bad play - but come on. I have watched most of the games so far this year and I think he has been one of the better players. His motor is always running and he is constantly trying to make things happen.

You can't say that for everyone. Not only that, he isn't the only one who has made some bad plays in the last few games.

It seems to be very selective in punshing one player. I personally think it is crap.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:13 PM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

vCash: 50
It was more of a message to the team. All the fans were wanting the coaching staff to do something, they did, and we still won the game, so I really don't see a problem.

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:49 PM
tfriede2

Oshie has been so-so for me this year so far. He had two glaring defensive-zone giveaways in the game against Carolina. I think that factored into his benching against Philadelphia when he made another mistake.

tfriede2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:59 PM
Robb_K

Part of the problem with the team has been playing as a TEAM, Oshie left the team game to try to create individually, and Payne wanted to stress to Oshie (and his teammates) that they should stick with the system.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:00 PM
ItsOnlytheRiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfriede2 View Post
Oshie has been so-so for me this year so far. He had two glaring defensive-zone giveaways in the game against Carolina. I think that factored into his benching against Philadelphia when he made another mistake.
This. OP needs to chill.

ItsOnlytheRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 02:01 PM
Jzk

vCash: 4000
I think it was warranted. He doesn't have the speed or hand(still the best on the team with Perron out of the lineup) to justify trying to dangle through 4 players. He needs to chip the puck in deep and use his skill set along the boards where he excels.

Jzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 03:18 PM
EastonBlues22
Global Moderator

I'm ok with it as well. Oshie had perhaps the worst giveaway he's ever had the game before last, and then he made a few risky plays early this game, so there was definitely a limited pattern of behavior emerging. Details are important, as is playing within the team's system/gameplan...especially when you're one of the team's better players (a player that gets a lot of important minutes, and that other players will take their on-ice cues from), and especially when your team is on the road against a good team.

Payne sent a strong signal about an important message. It's not a method that (to the best of my knowledge) he's ever employed with the Blues before, and it's certainly something that would get the attention of more than just the player that was singled out. Oshie was simply the most egregarious offender at the moment, and it had the additional benefit of making the message stronger by saying: "If I can bench a talented player, who is playing with energy in all three zones, and who just scored an important goal in an important game for the team, because his attention to detail and team play is slipping...just what do you think I'm capable of doing to you? It's not enough to be energetic and score...you have to play the game the right way...the Blues' way."

That's what I get from it, anyway.

EastonBlues22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 05:37 PM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

I thought Oshie was only clearly second to Steen as the best Blues forward in that period other than that play, but I'm not merely fine with it, I love it. Payne said it was time for the Blues to wake up and he's enforcing it. Whip the team into shape now, before bad habits develop and before it gets out of hand. On a team with as much depth as the Blues have, you need to earn all of your ice time. That's why I'm also fine with Elliott getting the starts until Halak takes it back from him.

Last edited by rumrokh: 10-24-2011 at 02:13 PM. Reason: spelling
rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 06:03 PM
Frenzy1

I have no problem with him inforcing it, I do have a problem with only targeting one player. Oshie isn't the only one with bad turnovers - for the 1st 5 games, we couldn't get the puck out of the dzone on the PK because of tos. If you are going to do it, you need to do it to everyone.

Heck, when was the last time you have seen Stewie back check.... Just saying there are a lot of guys that could have been benched and if he is going to do so, he needs to be consistent.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 06:30 PM
Clay Squares

I have no problem with Payne benching a player but I found it strange because the Blues were playing well at the time. I would expect this kind of thing when the whole team needed a wakeup call.

Clay Squares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:55 PM
Spektre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
Part of the problem with the team has been playing as a TEAM, Oshie left the team game to try to create individually, and Payne wanted to stress to Oshie (and his teammates) that they should stick with the system.

It's Payne trying to show he's the man in charge and that's it. If you want to say it's ok to bench someone for the above reason then let's stick with that philosophy. Let's bench Jackman every time he has 5 seconds with the puck and doesn't get it out of the zone. It wouldn't be long and I wouldn't have to suffer through watching him play any longer.

Spektre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:45 PM
BlueSinceBirth

I was a big Payne supporter the last two seasons but I think he needs benched for the system in place. The Blues are not a real speedy team and constantly dumping it in and losing possession constantly is really getting old.

BlueSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 11:53 PM
Oshie97

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSinceBirth View Post
I was a big Payne supporter the last two seasons but I think he needs benched for the system in place. The Blues are not a real speedy team and constantly dumping it in and losing possession constantly is really getting old.
Amen to this brother, I'm so tired of dump ins that have no chance of being retrieved by another winger especially on the PP. I know it's part of the game and every team does it but we do it way to often. Puck possession is key to winning, wish the Blues would figure this out.

Oshie97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 12:23 AM
bleedblue1223
OMAHA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSinceBirth View Post
Answer this question. How many players on our team can actually carry the puck into the offensive zone and maintain possession?

bleedblue1223 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 12:56 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Kind of nitpicky to question Payne on this when he seems to be getting the team playing an effective team-oriented game again that dominates puck possession in the offensive zone...while weathering the non-presence of his starting goaltender.

He didn't talk about Oshie to the media. Nothing passive aggressive. Seems like there were clear expectations, they weren't met, and there was a message sent. Oshie still had a great game and wasn't trying to solo it out there in the 3rd period.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 07:24 AM
FilthyNote*

Personally I am sick of people thinking "golden boy" Oshie can never do anything wrong. He has played OK this year but nothing amazing. I will say he does play hard and seems to give it his all a lot of times. That doesn't mean he gets a free-pass for bone-head plays.

He is kind of overrated. I still like him a lot and am stoked that he is a Blue. But his mental game needs some shoring up.

FilthyNote* is offline   Reply With Quote