HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

Desperate Times Call For

View Poll Results: What do you do now? (check all that apply)
Stay the course. Howson and Arneil will right the ship. Give them time. 10 13.16%
Trade for a G, either demote or get rid of Mason. 31 40.79%
Upgrade the D. A significant upgrade will likely cost RyJo/high picks but gotta do it. 22 28.95%
Strip Nash's C, or trade him 23 30.26%
Make other moves to detonate the player leadership core (besides Nash) 11 14.47%
Fire Arneil. 24 31.58%
Fire Howson immediately. Start the search for a new GM. 24 31.58%
Fire Howson at the end of the year. 8 10.53%
Fire Priest. 29 38.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-23-2011, 10:54 PM
St1ngr

vCash: 500
If you sit outside at night, if there is not too much traffic by your house...and point one of your ears to the North...

....that cackling sound you hear is Doug MacLean in Toronto, laughing his ass off!!!

St1ngr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 11:01 PM
CBJCougar

My next move involves Tylenol and Kleenexes.

CBJCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 11:21 PM
Crisp Breakout

#1) Fire Arniel
#2) Trade Rick Nash for a defensive cornerstone and goalie (see LA for Bernier and Johnson)
#3) Play Johansen 14+ minutes/gm or send him to juniors
#4) Implement agressive 1-3-1 puck pursuit system
#5) Play an overload/behind net hybrid to utilize big net presence of Umberger, Carter, and Johansen
#6) Move draft picks for bottom-6 depth

Crisp Breakout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 11:34 PM
wahsnairb

i actually like what howson has done as a GM here (maybe i am in the minority) and i think that what he is doing is going in the right direction despite the results.. jury is still out for me on arniel.. priest has to get the **** out of here and quick.. nash needs to stay.. other players like vermette need to be pieced into a deal to get a top 4 (obviously preferably top line) d

wahsnairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 08:11 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Sorry, I am going to say it now. On the basis of what happened last season, and on the basis of the start of this season, it is time to fire Arniel. He hasn't shown me anything.

This team seems to lack any form of identity. The PK is horrific, the PP is anemic, ES it is just helter skelter on the ice, the defense seems to be clueless as to how to cover zones or play the body.

Time to get an established NHL winner in here, if there is one out there, to right this ship.

Scotty Bowman would be my pick, but that, of course, is pure fantasy. He is probably the only coach alive that could possibly fix this mess.

Dr. Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 08:15 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
Sorry, I am going to say it now. On the basis of what happened last season, and on the basis of the start of this season, it is time to fire Arniel. He hasn't shown me anything.

This team seems to lack any form of identity. The PK is horrific, the PP is anemic, ES it is just helter skelter on the ice, the defense seems to be clueless as to how to cover zones or play the body.

Time to get an established NHL winner in here, if there is one out there, to right this ship.

Scotty Bowman would be my pick, but that, of course, is pure fantasy. He is probably the only coach alive that could possibly fix this mess.
Totally agree, Arniel had a great start last year but as soon as the league figured out his system things went down hill fast.

1857 Howitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 08:23 AM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 278
Not going to expend alot of energy on this. Simply dont think the CBJ leadership will be making any moves to fire Priest, Howson nor Arniel. The way they see it is: 1. Wait till Wiz & Carter are both in the lineup to evaluate. 2. Wait till Dex is healthy to see if he can become the starting goalie.

IBleedUnionBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 08:52 AM
blahblah

Desperate times call for apathy. I'm just going to go to the games and watch them on TV, just to enjoy the game of hockey and be happy we have a team.

I'll start to care again when there is a reason to care.

This team is either going to make moves or they aren't. This group of coaches, management, and ownership generally doesn't do what I expect or hope, so not a lot of reason to get worked up over it. I am not the demographic they are trying to please.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 12:17 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by St1ngr View Post
If you sit outside at night, if there is not too much traffic by your house...and point one of your ears to the North...

....that cackling sound you hear is Doug MacLean in Toronto, laughing his ass off!!!
Really? You think he is amused that the team he started has never recovered from his mismanagement? Or do you suppose he's satisfied that his evil plan to destroy hockey in Ohio is nearing it's successful conclusion? Or maybe that's not cackling you hear, but the braying of a titanic jackass.

pete goegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 12:26 PM
wahsnairb

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Desperate times call for apathy. I'm just going to go to the games and watch them on TV, just to enjoy the game of hockey and be happy we have a team.

This team is either going to make moves or they aren't. This group of coaches, management, and ownership generally doesn't do what I expect or hope, so not a lot of reason to get worked up over it. I am not the demographic they are trying to please.
well said

Old
10-24-2011, 12:33 PM
wahsnairb

can we get jake back as part of a deal for rj since philly loves him so much?

Old
10-24-2011, 12:44 PM
Seedtype

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
Not going to expend alot of energy on this. Simply dont think the CBJ leadership will be making any moves to fire Priest, Howson nor Arniel. The way they see it is: 1. Wait till Wiz & Carter are both in the lineup to evaluate. 2. Wait till Dex is healthy to see if he can become the starting goalie.
That's pretty much what I think is going on too. It's really easy to make that excuse and it does have a point.

Seedtype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 04:52 PM
CBOJ

after looking at the roster, it occurs to me that pretty much everyone is playing one line above where they honestly should be, Nash, Carter, Vermette, Umberger and Pahlsson being the exceptions. Even when healthy everyone on defense is one or even 2 lines above where they would be on a good team. That is the fault of the GM - no one elses. Also, our players aren't performing to their potential. That one is on the coach...its a coaches job to get the most out of his players...the way I see it, neither the GM or the Coach are doing their jobs properly and it may be time to cut them both loose...drastic times call for desperate measures.

CBOJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 05:00 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post

This is pretty much how I feel. Except that I don't go to the games

Feicht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:29 AM
Clip68

Hi guys, Leafs fan coming in peace, but I gotta say I was excited to see what Columbus could do this year. I like the Carter/Johansen future there and am excited to see what Carter-Nash can do.

That being said, I had a quick look at the poll results and they are very spread out over a lot of scenarios. I put a trade proposal in a thread on the main board, but I donít think I even got one response, but I wanted to bounce off the Columbus fan base. What do you think about something around Bozak, Franson, and Gustavsson for Brassard and Pahlsson? With picks and/or prospects from either side to even it out.

My thinking was that Bozak is a very serviceable 3rd line centre (capable of 2nd line), but is a downgrade from Brassard. That being said, you have Johansen ready or almost ready and you could go with a future of Carter-Johansen-Bozak up the middle and you get Franson and Gustavsson for help on D and in goal. I think Franson is going to be quite good and donít want the leafs to trade him, but we have a logjam and realistically the Leafs probably want to get Aulie in the mix, but there is no room. We get the upgrade at centre in Brassard and he could likely play wing too, no??

What do you think?

Anyways, good luck on bouncing back this year, Iím pulling for you guys (Not that I have Carter in my hockey pool or anything )

Clip68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 08:51 PM
Sore Loser
Since 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clip68 View Post
Hi guys, Leafs fan coming in peace, but I gotta say I was excited to see what Columbus could do this year. I like the Carter/Johansen future there and am excited to see what Carter-Nash can do.

That being said, I had a quick look at the poll results and they are very spread out over a lot of scenarios. I put a trade proposal in a thread on the main board, but I donít think I even got one response, but I wanted to bounce off the Columbus fan base. What do you think about something around Bozak, Franson, and Gustavsson for Brassard and Pahlsson? With picks and/or prospects from either side to even it out.

My thinking was that Bozak is a very serviceable 3rd line centre (capable of 2nd line), but is a downgrade from Brassard. That being said, you have Johansen ready or almost ready and you could go with a future of Carter-Johansen-Bozak up the middle and you get Franson and Gustavsson for help on D and in goal. I think Franson is going to be quite good and donít want the leafs to trade him, but we have a logjam and realistically the Leafs probably want to get Aulie in the mix, but there is no room. We get the upgrade at centre in Brassard and he could likely play wing too, no??

What do you think?

Anyways, good luck on bouncing back this year, Iím pulling for you guys (Not that I have Carter in my hockey pool or anything )
..Actually not a bad offer, truth be told. I'm not huge on Gustavsson, and your expectations on Bozak are pretty realistic. I think Cody Franson could do a nice job with the right opportunity, although unfortunately we have a glut of offensive minded defensemen. Still, might not be a bad move.

Interesting perspective, thanks for stopping by.

Sore Loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 01:22 PM
squarelaces

Isn't the decision on Johan supposed to be made today? If they plan on sending him back MY plan is to start an email bomb to Nile's inbox. Probably Porty too, that way perhaps to get a little public domain going.

squarelaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 01:26 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarelaces View Post
Isn't the decision on Johan supposed to be made today? If they plan on sending him back MY plan is to start an email bomb to Nile's inbox. Probably Porty too, that way perhaps to get a little public domain going.
I heard it was going to be talked about today. Heard nothing that a decision was going to be made today.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 01:27 PM
wellington

can't disagree about the curse thing

wellington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 01:29 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
It does not have to be made today, but it will likely be made before the Leafs game.

Not sure what the point of the "email bomb" would be. I would think for CBJ fans the issue is split 50/50 and there are pros and cons to both decisions. At this point I would like for him to stay but it is not the end of the world if he does not.

Old
10-31-2011, 01:47 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
It does not have to be made today, but it will likely be made before the Leafs game.

Not sure what the point of the "email bomb" would be. I would think for CBJ fans the issue is split 50/50 and there are pros and cons to both decisions. At this point I would like for him to stay but it is not the end of the world if he does not.
You know what's kind of interesting? They can keep him on the roster and as long as he doesn't actually play in 10 games, the contract meter doesn't start.

IIRC, the Kings kept Brayden Schenn for several weeks after he played his 9th game, had him practice with the team and kept him on the active roster. I think they actually delayed the decision by 2-3 weeks, got Schenn several weeks of additional "NHL experience" and then finally sent him back to his junior team.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 01:52 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 1975
Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
You know what's kind of interesting? They can keep him on the roster and as long as he doesn't actually play in 10 games, the contract meter doesn't start.

IIRC, the Kings kept Brayden Schenn for several weeks after he played his 9th game, had him practice with the team and kept him on the active roster. I think they actually delayed the decision by 2-3 weeks, got Schenn several weeks of additional "NHL experience" and then finally sent him back to his junior team.
Great analysis. I would say keep him here and play him. He has shown that he can hold his own on the wing. Maybe he works into the center position in time. He looks comfortable on the wing and adds to the talent level of the club, and that is no small thing. We need all of the talent we can get.

Fred Glover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 01:55 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post

Yeah he can stay all year as long as he does not play that 10th game.

Old
10-31-2011, 02:40 PM
squarelaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post

Not sure what the point of the "email bomb" would be. I would think for CBJ fans the issue is split 50/50 and there are pros and cons to both decisions.
Pros - Jackets save a year of term - I say so what. Sign him to contract #2 one year earlier.

Cons - Jackets lose one of their best players this season thus far. Jackets take chance of damaging his development. Jackets take chance of adversly affecting Ryans attitude. Jackets limit option for future deals to help team (cough Brassard, Pahlsson, cough)

No 50/50 here

squarelaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-31-2011, 02:47 PM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Pros - Jackets save a year of term - I say so what. Sign him to contract #2 one year earlier.

Cons - Jackets lose one of their best players this season thus far. Jackets take chance of damaging his development. Jackets take chance of adversly affecting Ryans attitude. Jackets limit option for future deals to help team (cough Brassard, Pahlsson, cough)

No 50/50 here
Some of your Cons could also be Pros. You could easily so that if they don't send him back it could damage his development and say they do keep him up but Arniel keeps benching him in the 3rd period and this affects his attitude.

Seems 50/50 to me. Again I would prefer he stays but this season is not going to go one way or another based on him staying or leaving.