HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Detroit Red Wings @ Washington Capitals. 7PM. Verizon Center. 10.22.2011

Old
10-23-2011, 07:14 PM
Halpysback

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Anyone else hear locker talking about Lidstrom requesting right hand shots in his D pair? If Lidstrom likes it, I am sure glad that Bruce and George like it too. But I have never heard of a dman making requests like that, and the GM respecting the request.

Heck Hannan never even had a right shot partner before coming to Washington
Lidstrom's all about efficiency. LR defense pairing makes D to D passing that much easier (especially if you are used to it as Lidstrom is since all of his partners have been RDs), as well as challenging forwards along the boards. Usually you have LDs learning to play on the right because there's more of them in juniors so someone has to move over. Only righties I know of who regularly played on the left are Klein and Rivet. I almost get an OCD "something's not right" vibe when I see two left handed defensemen on a pairing, unless one of them is a committed left handed RD like Tallinder or Visnovsky

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:39 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Also Conklin's made of pogs.
Alf pogs, to be exact.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 08:43 PM
txpd

Quote:
Anyone else hear locker talking about Lidstrom requesting right hand shots in his D pair? If Lidstrom likes it, I am sure glad that Bruce and George like it too. But I have never heard of a dman making requests like that, and the GM respecting the request.

lidstrom is ken holland's best player. its not a shock that player's preferences for how the team's game could be better would be taken into account. hannan is not a hall of famer and foundation of a franchise. you dont think that shero would listen to crosby or that lou listened to broduer?

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 08:52 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Makes me wonder what kind of input Ovie has had over the years. IINM Kozlov being brought in had a ton to due with his existing chemistry with Ovie (though I don't know how much of it was scouting based and how much was Ovie himself lobbying).

But yeah, it's a no-brainer to pay attention to that kind of input, especially for a guy like Lidstrom. One of the smartest, most experienced guys out there.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 08:55 PM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:

Well, 7 Norris trophies seems to indicate he's figured something out. I can't think of another player that is as well liked and respected as Lidstrom is.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 08:59 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Lidstrom's all about efficiency. LR defense pairing makes D to D passing that much easier (especially if you are used to it as Lidstrom is since all of his partners have been RDs), as well as challenging forwards along the boards. Usually you have LDs learning to play on the right because there's more of them in juniors so someone has to move over. Only righties I know of who regularly played on the left are Klein and Rivet. I almost get an OCD "something's not right" vibe when I see two left handed defensemen on a pairing, unless one of them is a committed left handed RD like Tallinder or Visnovsky
I totally concur. I think I learned it from Bryan Murray, who in the playoffs would often target and forecheck the guy on his offside.

Still, it was interesting to hear Lidstrom had voiced his opinions on the issue, something I have debated a lot in the past, most recently re: Alzner and his time at RD. Its not easy to play that offside. Someone could think Detroits best player, it really wouldn't matter what handed his partner was. Because he is getting a quality player regardless. If Lidstrom thinks its wise, my gut tells me all all D and GM's should be inclined to agree. If Lidstrom needs it, coupled with his stud play.... hello, its a basic winning formula. I am happy that McPhee obviously agrees.

I have always preferred sticks on boards not just on D but up and down the lineup. The exception is the A1 skill player that can crank the one timer on the off wing, and PP point work.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 09:18 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallschirmyager View Post
Well, 7 Norris trophies seems to indicate he's figured something out. I can't think of another player that is as well liked and respected as Lidstrom is.
I think I had figured it out before he came into the league. It been easy to see since my early days of watching hockey, the D on his offside is at a disadvantage. Bryan Murray would exploit that guy come playoff time.

I am surprised more if not all GM's hadn't figured it out on their own, and players not have to tell them. If its imperative for a 7 Norris trophy guy to need it, wouldnt the guys behind him in skill level, need it more?

With the goofy handed US influence, it wouldnt surprise me in 5-10 years to see an equal number of right left dmen in the NHL.

Old
10-23-2011, 10:02 PM
Halpysback

Hamrlik I believe is as comfortable at RD as LD, since I think he was RD when Markov and him were Montreal's top pairing. Though he was LD with Spacek when he was brough along. Having a leftie capable of playing RD could be an asset if we ever have to shut down a right shooting LW, such as... Kovalchuk and Vanek and that's it really. Sigh. I remember Ovechkin had fits against Brewer/Timonen/lefties on RD matched up against him.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 03:16 AM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyzer23 View Post
so i know its early, but MOJO looks great. He keeps finding the back of the net...is he a 30 goal scorer? 4goals in 7 games I know i know, chim chim also has 4 goals....mojo a 25 goal scorer?

flame away....
His speed and skills would get 30, imo. I wouldn't be surprised if he had more than 30 in a season during his career. This is his second pro year in the NHL and he is only getting better. I would like to see him get better with faceoffs though.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 03:26 AM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
Any doubt that Mojo is earning that 2nd line center position?

Kid looks stronger and amazingly faster.

also Sarge impressed me as well

solid game by everyone.....as for Vokoun...well just wow.
Pretty nice isn't it. I don't any of us are used to starting a season with balanced scoring, good special teams, and decent defense combined with a proven goalie. I can't think of any Caps teams in the past I've watched. All those other teams lacked a stud goalie and when Kolzig arrived, we lacked scoring with an aging defense. I hate having to wait to Thursday for another Caps game, but I can't wait for it. The game against Edmonton is going to be sweet. I like the way the young Oilers are playing and it will be interesting to see how the Caps play against such a fast, young team, especially after so much time off. This team has the potential to be the best Caps team on paper along with being the grittiest.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 07:17 AM
txpd

rh, you were right all along. the reality is that right shot defensemen dont grow on trees and there certainly are not nearly enough to go around so that each team can have three on the roster and a 4th somewhere in the organEYEzation as a spare.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 09:12 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

The perfect storm of 6 left shots in that Montreal series, and Ovi having to drive down RW to even get a shot on goal, keeps my thoughts in check about sticks on the board theory. I learned in that series that there are benefits to guys on their offside. use it to take out the offwing forward who wants a better shooting angle.

Halpys - RH may be comfortable at RD as a grizzled vet, but his partner may not like very much - Lidstrom Theory 101. Many left shots have made career on the right side, or have been pressed into duty for obvious reasons. They wont complain because they have a job. I asked Alzner directly if its harder to play on his offside, and he admitted it is. For the vets, not so much. Thats why I was pissed when we moved Juice to make room for him, but stuck him at RD over Sarge Poti SMo Erskine and Sloan.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 10-24-2011 at 09:20 AM.