HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Scouts at Yesterday's Canucks/Wild Game

Old
10-23-2011, 10:43 AM
Tony D63
Tortsless Rangers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
4.6 million a year is a lot to pay a guy to be a 3rd pair D.
Just threw something together quickly, im sure it woudnt look exactly like that.

Tony D63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:48 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Don't know much about Schultz, What type of Dman is he?

btw we have mentioned Schultz, Zidlicky, Zanon now,lol
Schultz is a defensive dman that can play top 4 but sucks at fighting although he tries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNM_OAWUwkY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C0reXokbcU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=YQacTWCyVL0#!

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 05:02 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

the wild are blowing up the old system and opening up their game as evidenced by the deals with the Los Tiburones in the off season.

Schultz is a decent enough player but I think NY already have plenty of fine defensive players so I don't see acquiring him as worth whatever slats has to pay for him.

Zanon is a UFA so perhaps he is ticketed but I think Minnesota can get a fine return for him closer to the deadline.

Zidlicky is intriguing as he was originally a Ranger and has plenty of experience on the point of the powerplay... but he has a NMC in his contract so that might spoil things. His cap hit of 4 megabucks ain't too friendly either.

Perhaps PM Bouchard is available, his contract and concussion issues are at play there though. He is a nifty play maker but in no way shape or form does he finish plays. Don't see him as a torts kind of guy however.

from Vancouver the two D guys without NMC are Ballard and Edler as well as Burrows and Raymond.

Raymond is hurt
Edler is leading the team in ice time

that leaves Ballard and Burrows

Ballard doesn't solve what NY needs and Burrows ? well I suppose anything is possible but he provides some of the jam the canucks need, plus his contract is 2 million so he isn't a cap problem.

If I were a Canuck fan I would want to see Burrows in BC for a few more seasons.

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 08:37 AM
Nate37UK

There is a million combinations of trades available but the only person I can see leaving us is Wolski. Talented guy, just not a fit for us. I think he would work well with the Wild with Heatley and Koivu. Be interesting to see if the kid could finally settle.

I know it would not happen but if we did trade Wolski for a D-man would we call up Avery to take the left wing slack? We are certainly lacking on the left.

Nate37UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 11:00 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I hear they were scouting that Dale Weise kid. He might be a good fit on the fourth line. Anyone know anything about him?

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 11:05 AM
Ail
Girardi Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numinous View Post
Yea.... Our D is ok....we need goals....

Maybe the Nucks will flip Booth back to the Rangers...... Love that guys game
Yeah EC can center he and Wolski, you can call it the "mystery-box line" since you'll never know what you'll get game to game.

Ail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Ail
Girardi Sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
I hear they were scouting that Dale Weise kid. He might be a good fit on the fourth line. Anyone know anything about him?
No man, it is Chris Higgins they are after. Guy is off to a hot start, he could play with Gabs and Richards.

Old
10-24-2011, 11:17 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Just because we want to trade Christ, Wolski and MZA, does not mean others will take them, especially for quality players.

We may need to give up someone we don't want to give up. I am not excited about trading for defensemen for that reason. If we have to blow a hole somewhere to get a defenseman because we are not patient enough to wait for some guys to return or develop as prospects, thats not a good way to build a team.

We have a good top four and three excellent young guys in McIlrath, MDZ and Erixon.

We are also not deep enough anywhere to start blowing holes in one place to close them in others.

The only trades I would want to make now would involve WW, MZA and Christ, as people are suggesting, but I don't see us getting a top 6 forward or a top four defenseman for them.

We could potentially acquire a better #7 defenseman or a fourth liner for them, but not much more.

I would love it if they were used to get us another Prust, a scrappy right wing grinder who will be useful to the team for years to come.

Last edited by Beacon: 10-24-2011 at 11:27 AM.
Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 11:20 AM
Ail
Girardi Sucks

Quote:
Just because we want to trade Christ, Wolski and MZA, does not mean others will take them, especially for quality players.

We may need to give up someone we don't want to give up. I am not excited about trading for defensemen for that reason. If we have to blow a hole somewhere to get a defenseman because we are not patient enough to wait for some guys to return or develop as prospects, thats not a good way to build a team.

We have a good top four and three excellent young guys in McIlrath, MDZ and Erixon.

We are also not deep enough anywhere to start blowing holes in one place to close them in others.

The only trades I would want to make now would involve WW, MZA and Christ, but I don't see us getting a top 6 forward or a top four defenseman for the.

We could potentially acwuire a better #7 defenseman or a fourth liner for them, but not much more.

I would love it if they were used to get us another Prust, a scrappy right wing grinder who will be useful to the team for years to come.
Agree, I am not a fan of this trade for a D business, even if Staal is going to be out a few months. Just ride it out and if the team's D is weak for awhile so be it. Plus it allows some of the kids more time to develop. Look what happened when McD and Sauer were allowed to step in and get some serious minutes.

Old
10-24-2011, 11:24 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by x CALLAHAN x View Post
I like MDZ too, but have started to come to the conclusion that with all the telent he does have, his lack of timeing sense is a major problem for the style of play that makes the most of his skills.

Considering Erixon has show he can be an efective puck mover although he is basically making the 'safe' plays at this point in his young NHL career, and McDonagh has been given the green light as of late to prove whether he can be relied upon to carry the puck without sacrificing defensive play, plus you have Girardi who has decent puck skills when he isn't in the role of 'defensive anchor' while Staal is out & we have Richards as our PPQB for the forseeable future, I could see an arguement for moving MDZ to Calgary for Babchuk.

I don't know if Babchuk is great defensively as far as positioning but he scores well, gets 2-3 blocks a game, and was double digets in the plus column last year. Babchuk & Richards could give us a leathal PP backline.

I've had so much hope for Del Zotto and dismissed bone head play after bone head play, but for all the skill he has I'm not sure he has the thought process to make the right play under pressure. When he was in his own corner last night and pressured to move the puck he turned and sent the puck straight to the top of the circle to a streaking Edmonton player. Instead of up the boards he tried one of his homerum passes through traffic in a pressure situation, from deep in the zone too.

I'm losing faith in the kid & with BR on the point & 3 other guys showing they are more then defensive plugs, I'm wondering if the 'cost/benefit' of MDZ's boom or bust potential isn't worth reconsideration with a guy like Babchuk being benched going on 4 out of the last 5 games now.

I'm on the fence, but reason/reality is starting to suggest opportunity may be presenting itself.
I agree, and it kinda sucks.

CHGoalie27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 11:25 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Agree, I am not a fan of this trade for a D business, even if Staal is going to be out a few months. Just ride it out and if the team's D is weak for awhile so be it. Plus it allows some of the kids more time to develop. Look what happened when McD and Sauer were allowed to step in and get some serious minutes.
WTF???

Oh yeah, we'll be fighting for the 8th anyway.

If we want to fight for the Cup, we need MUCH better D-men.

Old
10-24-2011, 11:27 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
No man, it is Chris Higgins they are after. Guy is off to a hot start, he could play with Gabs and Richards.
I'd take Higgins back. In Florida too. He was always full of effort with little support.

Old
10-24-2011, 11:46 AM
SomE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
Bieksa just took a hometown discount with what im sure is some kind of movement clause. Salo is playing great, so his cost would be high. He's also a band-aid boy and old.
Bieksa didn't take anything close to a "hometown discount"..

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 12:48 PM
Killem Dafoe
give me the formuoli

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
lol this.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 12:57 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
I'd take Higgins back. In Florida too. He was always full of effort with little support.
Yeah. Guy had way too much pressure here and just couldn't find the net. I loved everything else about his game, though.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:01 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by x CALLAHAN x View Post
I like MDZ too, but have started to come to the conclusion that with all the telent he does have, his lack of timeing sense is a major problem for the style of play that makes the most of his skills.

Considering Erixon has show he can be an efective puck mover although he is basically making the 'safe' plays at this point in his young NHL career, and McDonagh has been given the green light as of late to prove whether he can be relied upon to carry the puck without sacrificing defensive play, plus you have Girardi who has decent puck skills when he isn't in the role of 'defensive anchor' while Staal is out & we have Richards as our PPQB for the forseeable future, I could see an arguement for moving MDZ to Calgary for Babchuk.

I don't know if Babchuk is great defensively as far as positioning but he scores well, gets 2-3 blocks a game, and was double digets in the plus column last year. Babchuk & Richards could give us a leathal PP backline.

I've had so much hope for Del Zotto and dismissed bone head play after bone head play, but for all the skill he has I'm not sure he has the thought process to make the right play under pressure. When he was in his own corner last night and pressured to move the puck he turned and sent the puck straight to the top of the circle to a streaking Edmonton player. Instead of up the boards he tried one of his homerum passes through traffic in a pressure situation, from deep in the zone too.

I'm losing faith in the kid & with BR on the point & 3 other guys showing they are more then defensive plugs, I'm wondering if the 'cost/benefit' of MDZ's boom or bust potential isn't worth reconsideration with a guy like Babchuk being benched going on 4 out of the last 5 games now.

I'm on the fence, but reason/reality is starting to suggest opportunity may be presenting itself.

this would be a great post if any of it were true

MDZ been's off to a very good start this season...yes he played bad in Edmonton...so did every single player on the ice wearing a rangers sweater...if we're going to use that game as the criteria for judging these players then Dubi, cally, AA, boyle, richards, girardi, mcd, and erixon are all garbage players

and i suppose i've missed all the games where Erixon has showed he can do any of the things you mentioned at an NHL level...and i also missed the games where Girardi is good with the puck

McD has showed a lot of promise recently, but he's also commited some horrible horrible turnovers. If Del zotto coughed up the puck half as many times as McD did he'd have been lynched in the center of times square by now

im no fan of the +/- stat and have stated that numerous times, but its funny how often that stat is used as a reason to trade/demote del zotto, yet no one brings it up when he's leading the team

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:06 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey

vCash: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
maybe looking to trade for Weise?
you forgot the

Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:08 PM
94now

Eklund suggests Rangers are after Bourque.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...Rumors/1/39140

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:11 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey

vCash: 122
Quote:

The only trades I would want to make now would involve WW, MZA and Christ, as people are suggesting, but I don't see us getting a top 6 forward or a top four defenseman for them.

We could potentially acquire a better #7 defenseman or a fourth liner for them, but not much more.

You forget that the same EXACT thing was said (maybe not by you, but by PLENTY about the 7.5 million dollar 15 goal man Scott Gomez.) What we see a players worth at is not necessarily the value other GM's see them as. Maybe a GM see's that Wolski is in a contract year, therefore more likely to up his game and provide solid, consistent goalscoring for said team. Therefore Wolski's worth to team X is different then as team Y may see it.

Same thing about MZA, maybe another team has a spot in the top 6 and believes that MZA can be a St. Louis type player in this league for whatever reason. (Im not saying he can or can't be, for the record) Therefore even though MZA is currently playing on the Whale, his value to Team X is more then the value that Team Y see's.

Christensen... well hes had 6 or 7 seasons I dont disagree with you there.

The Scott Gomez rule proved this to be true. See: Mcdonagh, Ryan.

Gardner McKay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:12 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
Bieksa just took a hometown discount with what im sure is some kind of movement clause. Salo is playing great, so his cost would be high. He's also a band-aid boy and old.
Maybe we get the shot at the point of the power play... Just an idea. Salo wouldn't be too bad to take. Has one year left. Almost $2 million cheaper.

Figuring if there's a trade, Eminger is the 7th man. Woywitka stays as the 8th or is also sent down with Erixon and Bell.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:17 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomE View Post
Really? Check again. Look at prescendent. He had a fantastic playoffs on a team that went to game 7 of the finals. His cap hit is 4.6. He would have gotten at least 6 on the open market.
His cap hit didn't even go up a million from where it was.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:21 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
Maybe we get the shot at the point of the power play... Just an idea. Salo wouldn't be too bad to take. Has one year left. Almost $2 million cheaper.

Figuring if there's a trade, Eminger is the 7th man. Woywitka stays as the 8th or is also sent down with Erixon and Bell.
Don't get me wrong, I like Salo. But he's a big part of that team, and playing amazing. Price would not be worth it. And like I said, he's a known band aid boy. I'm not ready to expend big assets in order to get a guy who could hurt himself walking down the stairs, and with Salo's luck that's not out if the realm of possibility.

Last edited by DrSutton*: 10-24-2011 at 01:33 PM.
DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:27 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post

So, we as a group discuss the benefits of adding a Rene Bourque type player, Ek-bag reads this, then posts a week later that the Rangers are after Bourque?

Interesting....

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:33 PM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post

Bourque makes sense but I don't see us paying what it would require to get him.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:37 PM
bmw2004

Don't you understand that most of the decisions Sather makes are based on this board comments, discussions and conclusions. I think they should include HFBOARDS in the Rangers payroll.

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote