HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it normal to want your team to lose?

Old
10-24-2011, 09:26 AM
LyleOdelein

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Charles View Post
And I think that's a problem.

You have to tank for years, asking your paying fans to continue buying your high priced tickets, icing a poor team, spending less than the average team, being a non-model organisation and you get a reward for that?

Is the Pittsbugh Penguins a model organisation? Or they just sucked for so long?
Same could be said for Chicago.
Why did they get all those rewards?
People like to look back on Chicago, Pittsburgh, and Washington as if their failures were part of some elaborate plan, rather than attributing their results to irresponsible ownership and/or horrible management.

LyleOdelein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 09:29 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Totally. Losers with 2 Stanley Cups!

But go cheer against your team - that's proof you're both wise AND a real fan.

All this real fandom is too much for me to handle.
What fans like you are doing are turning this once proud franchise into the Maple Leafs

and here you are once again, defending your lil Gomez....

I'm not cheering against my team, I'm cheering FOR my team .. and an end to this none sense.

It might be hard for you -- but you should try to look beyond the next play , the next goal or the next game....

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 09:33 AM
AreYouHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
Cheering for your team to LOSE, as a ****ing FAN, is disgusting.

I don't care what the reason is for doing it either. If you're a fan of a team, you support that team thick and through.

If you don't agree, then I guess we have different definitions of what a fan is and what fans should do.
I support my team thick and through like you say. But someday you have to stick to a plan.

Patch the holes and finish 8th? Or rebuild like most of the last 5 cup winners?

AreYouHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 09:34 AM
Dr. Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
People like to look back on Chicago, Pittsburgh, and Washington as if their failures were part of some elaborate plan, rather than attributing their results to irresponsible ownership and/or horrible management.
Well said. Meaning that the previous year ranking should not be the only drafting order's factor. Oh, that and the Lottery.

Dr. Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 09:46 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

I watched the Saturday (vs leaf) game in Toronto. When we lost I wasn't disappointed, I had to hope this moved the team one step closer to a major shakeup that could kill the culture of soft mediocrity we'd sunk to in recent years. But it was the first time in my life that I sort of wanted the Habs to lose, so no it did not feel "normal," it felt wrong but rational at the same time. Anyway, you're not alone.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 09:50 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

No, it's not normal. And it's also a bad sign. These are not healthy thoughts.

Ultimately, it's just hockey, and unless you work somehow close to the organisation, their results can't affect you directly. So who cares if you long to see them lose? The problem arise if you transpose this attitude to other topics. And unfortunately (I don't know the OP so your mileage may vary), yellows tend to be yellows at pretty much everything they can.

In the end, it's a pretty self-destructing attitude, and you won't ever do anything significant by being yellow and cynical about the things you like.

Here's an observation: take any elite, from absolutely any field. Take the elite athletes, the elite scientists, the elite businessmen, the elite artists. Absolutely none of them are yellow or cynics. It's simply not a winner attitude. People on the side lines complain all the time about things they can't control (the GM, the coach) but can easily blame. The elite take charge instead, and act so that the result is better now than before they were involved.

So, to come back to the OP... sure, go ahead, wish defeat for the team you love. But now you know which side of the coin you fall.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 09:53 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleOdelein View Post
I've made the same point several times. Ironically, a number of fans on this site think the Habs are in the grip of horrible management. Maybe the "tankers" want to keep this management so that the Habs will finish at the bottom. As for myself, I haven't given up on this season. The gap in the standings between the Habs and the top teams in the East isn't that great at the moment and the Bruins aren't faring much better.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 09:56 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
I seriously question fans of teams in the midst of a rebuild who sit down to watch every game wanting their team to lose. To do this after 7 games?

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 09:59 AM
AreYouHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill McNeal View Post
I seriously question fans of teams in the midst of a rebuild who sit down to watch every game wanting their team to lose. To do this after 7 games?
Well, to be honest man, I'd prefer to watch Karlsson, Cowen, Rundblad and Zibanejad developp and try plays and have fun if I was a Ottawa fan than watch Fisher, Heatley and Spezza earning alot of money and still finish 12th in east.

At least you know you have a bright future.

Old
10-24-2011, 10:03 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by DohDog View Post
Well, to be honest man, I'd prefer to watch Karlsson, Cowen, Rundblad and Zibanejad developp and try plays and have fun if I was a Ottawa fan than watch Fisher, Heatley and Spezza earning alot of money and still finish 12th in east.

At least you know you have a bright future.
Spezza will be part of the rebuild in Ottawa, in 2-3 seasons they will be a solid team and Spezza will still be young. It's like if we would do something like them, I would still want the Habs to keep Plekanec

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 10:10 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Of course it's normal.. I hope we lose the next 20 games in a row! I hope we break the record for consecutive losses... Any RICH team that labels itself ''hockeys MECCA'' that voluntarily keeps ****ing Scott ****ING Gomez deserves to FAIL and CHOKE and be EMBARRASSED .

I rather see a total meltdown and expose our team strategies for what they are than to be a SUCKER fan that gets taken for a ride every year to only witness yet another playoff exit..

I rather see management FAIL and fall hard on their ass than to see them get their bonuses and tell the media ''we're getting closer''.

I'm so sick and tired of the way this team is managed and operated... god damn it this season is liberating if anything!

The key is to have a REALLY crappy season so to leave Molson with no choice but to make DRASTIC changes for next year...

Good riddens to the status quo *****es!
I thought management "gets it" especially after retaining superstar Hal Gill. You're opinion changes with the wind. Soon you'll be telling us we should of never let hammer go, duh..

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 10:11 AM
AreYouHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Spezza will be part of the rebuild in Ottawa, in 2-3 seasons they will be a solid team and Spezza will still be young. It's like if we would do something like them, I would still want the Habs to keep Plekanec
Yeah obviously you keep Plekanec and the rest of the young guns.

Old
10-24-2011, 10:12 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
If you want changes, yes, it's normal to want your team to lose.

It's also normal to want your team to tank for a top draft pick rather than finish 9-10.
Exactly. This team is boring to watch and many people want changes. It's alright to want them to lose if that means it's gonna change...

What do we rather? See a team like that for the next decade and once for all make the necessary changes... I'd rather see them lose or even rebuild for a whole year if that means we'll have a cup contender down the road.

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 10:16 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post

Ultimately, it's just hockey, and unless you work somehow close to the organisation, their results can't affect you directly. So who cares if you long to see them lose? The problem arise if you transpose this attitude to other topics. And unfortunately (I don't know the OP so your mileage may vary), yellows tend to be yellows at pretty much everything they can.

In the end, it's a pretty self-destructing attitude, and you won't ever do anything significant by being yellow and cynical about the things you like.

Here's an observation: take any elite, from absolutely any field. Take the elite athletes, the elite scientists, the elite businessmen, the elite artists. Absolutely none of them are yellow or cynics. It's simply not a winner attitude. People on the side lines complain all the time about things they can't control (the GM, the coach) but can easily blame. The elite take charge instead, and act so that the result is better now than before they were involved.

So, to come back to the OP... sure, go ahead, wish defeat for the team you love. But now you know which side of the coin you fall.
Elite supports losers?

ChemiseBleuHonnete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 10:17 AM
Et le But

What I don't get is the mentality that one #1 draft pick and you are suddenly set. I can't think of a single case since Mario Lemieux where one player single-handedly turned a team around. Look at the teams who have drafted #1 or close to it over the past few years, most of them are only turning it around now after sucking for years, and even then none of them will be serious Cup contenders for a long time.

Do you really want to give up on hockey for 2 or 3 years? Because that's what you are talking about at the very least, people complain about the Habs being defensive so how about over 2 years of terrible quality hockey in an arena with no atmosphere - this isn't Winnipeg where the team gets a free pass for one year.

If things continue to go wrong this year changes will have to be made, and that may involve trying to get rid of some of the older players, staff changes, and if the team is this woeful halfway through the season, going full on tank mode. But following the Washington, Pittsburgh model that some of you seem so in love with, involves sucking for a very, very long time.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 10:25 AM
AreYouHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
What I don't get is the mentality that one #1 draft pick and you are suddenly set. I can't think of a single case since Mario Lemieux where one player single-handedly turned a team around. Look at the teams who have drafted #1 or close to it over the past few years, most of them are only turning it around now after sucking for years, and even then none of them will be serious Cup contenders for a long time.

Do you really want to give up on hockey for 2 or 3 years? Because that's what you are talking about at the very least, people complain about the Habs being defensive so how about over 2 years of terrible quality hockey in an arena with no atmosphere - this isn't Winnipeg where the team gets a free pass for one year.

If things continue to go wrong this year changes will have to be made, and that may involve trying to get rid of some of the older players, staff changes, and if the team is this woeful halfway through the season, going full on tank mode. But following the Washington, Pittsburgh model that some of you seem so in love with, involves sucking for a very, very long time.
Hey... If at least we have an offensive system, rebuilding doesn't necessarily mean boring.

Look at Ottawa, yeah maybe they lose, but at least they are promising. I'd rather lose 7-5 all year like Ottawa and tank, than finish 8th again and win my games 2-1 and 1-0.

Old
10-24-2011, 10:26 AM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post

ELITE Scientists don't work for crappy corporations.

ELITE entrepreneurs don't continue with what is not working... they adjust and make changes.

ELITE athletes that play team sports eventually want to be part of an organization that could put together an elite group. How many examples have we seen in this ?

Your theory is hog wash. Nobody is saying they expect guys like Subban and Cammy to stop trying, what we're saying is sometimes we need to take a step back to take 2 steps forward

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 10:31 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by DohDog View Post
Hey... If at least we have an offensive system, rebuilding doesn't necessarily mean boring.

Look at Ottawa, yeah maybe they lose, but at least they are promising. I'd rather lose 7-5 all year like Ottawa and tank, than finish 8th again and win my games 2-1 and 1-0.
Let's see how long Ottawa lasts making this dramatic comebacks. Giving up 7 goals every game has got to take its mental toll on the team, I expect them to have the worst record when all is said and done and I don't see them continuing to score so much after constantly being beat down. I also don't think Ottawa is going to be anything but terrible for years.

I don't like Martin, if this continues I'm all in favour of hiring a more offensive minded coach, throwing caution to the wind and going all out on the offense. If we have nothing left to lose, why not, finishing with a terrible record does have its benefits.

But some people on this forum want a complete rebuild, which means dumping a lot of players in their primes and sucking for a good 2 to 5 years.

Old
10-24-2011, 10:33 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Let's see how long Ottawa lasts making this dramatic comebacks. Giving up 7 goals every game has got to take its mental toll on the team, I expect them to have the worst record when all is said and done and I don't see them continuing to score so much after constantly being beat down. I also don't think Ottawa is going to be anything but terrible for years.

I don't like Martin, if this continues I'm all in favour of hiring a more offensive minded coach, throwing caution to the wind and going all out on the offense. If we have nothing left to lose, why not, finishing with a terrible record does have its benefits.

But some people on this forum want a complete rebuild, which means dumping a lot of players in their primes and sucking for a good 2 to 5 years.
Yes but Ottawa doesn't have the $ the Habs have, neither did thos Chicago, Penguins and Caps back then. We have money and can turn things around a lot faster

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 10:37 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Off topic but a Toronto fan told me this one on saturday night:

Q: How many Habs fans does it take to change a light bulb?

A: Five. One to put in the new light bulb and four to talk about how good the old one was.

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 10:38 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Ask an Edmonton Oiler fan this question.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 10:42 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Yes but Ottawa doesn't have the $ the Habs have, neither did thos Chicago, Penguins and Caps back then. We have money and can turn things around a lot faster
We have trouble attracting FAs now, imagine how easy it would be after 2 years of being one of the worst teams in the league.

Old
10-24-2011, 10:44 AM
AreYouHockey

Quote:
We have trouble attracting FAs now, imagine how easy it would be after 2 years of being one of the worst teams in the league.
We're not talking about signing UFA's.

We're talking about developping your own star players.

Old
10-24-2011, 10:48 AM
Dr. Charles

I say we split up the money and go separate ways.

Dr. Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 10:50 AM
AreYouHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Charles View Post
I say we split up the money and go separate ways.
No.

It's interesting to hear opinions and ideas.