HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

The AAA 2011 Draft

Old
10-23-2011, 12:00 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Regina selects 4th line center Earl Ingarfield.

- 5'11", 185 lbs
- Placed 15th, 25th, 38th in scoring
- Placed 14th, 25th, 27th, 31st, 32nd in ES scoring
- Best percentages by seventies system: 68, 58, 53, 46, 44, 43, 43
- Post-expansion, killed 42% of penalties for his teams

with 527 NHL games as of expansion, Ingarfield is 2nd in GP among available players as of that point. He finished with 746, scoring 405 points in this tight era. Ingarfield was a utility/checking player with the Rangers before getting the chance to play with Prentice and Bathgate for a few seasons. He then centered Marshall and Fonteyne for a while, forming a formidable trio.

After expansion, Ingarfield played a season in Pittsburgh before going to Oakland and being the Seals' Mr. Everything. In the 1968, 69, and 70 seasons Ingarfield averaged over 20 minutes per game for them, had the 3rd-most points per game after Ted Hampson and Bill Hicke, and his -16 was easily the 2nd-best among the 15 players who played at least 100 combined games those three seasons. Ingarfield was seen as a leader by his teammates in Oakland, was their top PK forward and even played some point on the PP.

Ingarfield was described as a very versatile player, a graceful skater with a good shot. Although he has experience as a checker and penalty killer, he was considered more of a finesse player. I realize he's not the prototypical 4th liner but his defense is a plus and he's well insulated between two very physical wingers. He just seemed like a real good guy to have around, and I couldn't pass him up and risk seeing him fall past this draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loh.net
Centre Earl Ingarfield was a consistent centre who possessed good speed and a decent shot. He was respected wherever he played for his work ethic and dedication to team play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pelletier
Throughout the 1960's, the highlights for the New York Rangers and their fans were few and far between. However one player who everyone appreciated was Earl Ingarfield.

Earl was definitely not considered to be a star hockey player by most standards, but rather a spirited and determined journeyman who did his job very well although virtually unnoticed. Only three times did the underrated Earl score more than 20 goals, yet he was known for his graceful skating and a booming shot.

After completing junior hockey for his hometown Lethbridge Native Sons, Earl turned pro in 1954, playing just two games for Vancouver of the WHL. However he soon put together 3 successful years under his belt and earned a trial with the New York Rangers in 1958. For the first two years in NY he saw little ice time, but by 1960 the soft spoken Earl made the team permanently, notching 13 goals in 66 games.

The following season, he enjoyed his best season as a pro, scoring 26 goals, 31 assists and 57 points while playing a full 70 game schedule.

Earl often played center with Andy Bathgate on the right side and Dean Prentice on the left. The 1962 playoffs against Toronto really defined Earl's career. With Earl in the lineup the Rangers were on the verge of upsetting the heavily favored Leafs. However Earl got knocked out of the series with a serious injury. The result was disastrous for the Rangers, who ended up losing the series. New York newspapers quickly immortalized Earl by criticizing the Rangers play minus Earl.

Earl remained on Broadway until the beginning of 1967-68. The Pittsburgh Penguins took the veteran forward in the first ever expansion draft. Earl played a year and a half in "Steeltown" before a trade to the west coast. Earl eventually finished his career in usual anonymity in Oakland, but did in 54 games have a 21 goal, 45 point year in 1969. He retired in 1971.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 100 Ranger Greats
the position opened was center ice between Andy bathgate and Dean Prentice, an enviable assignment indeed that fell to Earl Ingarfield, who had been with the team for two seasons, mostly in a utility role as a checking forward...

the trade of Prentice ended Ingarfield's dream assignment, but he remained an effective Blueshirt for four more seasons, mostly on a line with Val Fonteyne and Donnie Marshall, uniting three of that era's premier checking forwards.

"I loved playing with Andy and Dean, don't get me wrong. But whether you're on the first line or the third line, your main focus is to help the team." That he did in spares, notching 62 goals over the next 4 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorthanded: The Untold Story of the Seals
Due to injuries to Seals players, Ingarfield played all three forward positions at various times. He also played the point on the power play. "He has stepped in and done an outstanding job in every place we've needed him," Seals coach Fred Glover said at the time. "That's because he's a first class professional with top NHL ability." To Glover, the acquisition of Ingarfield was one of the keys to the Seals 2nd place finish in 1969. "There was something different about him and something special. He changed our team the second half of the season."

Ingarfield's torrid pace continued into the postseason. In the 7-game series with the Kings, he led all Seals with 4 goals and 10 points.

Ingarfield described himself on the ice by saying, "I had good hockey sense and saw the ice well. I could skate fairly well and I guess I scored my share of goals. I put the team before individual goals. I respected my teammates and I'd like to think they respected me. I could check and play defense as well as offense."

For his teammates, Ingarfield provided leadership... Gary Smith described what Ingarfield was like as a teammate. "He was a real professional and a great guy. He brought a lot of experience to the team and took care of the younger players." That was Earl Ingarfield, a true professional.

Last edited by seventieslord: 10-30-2011 at 05:00 AM.
seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:02 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

Montreal select Craig Rivet D

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:03 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562

HC Davos selects center Jiri Hrdina, the Sparta club captain who led the Czechoslovakian league in assists in 1984 (with 33) and who was named Best Forward in that league in 1987. More significantly, he had scored 30 points in 6 world championships, getting five medals to go along with the Olympic Silver he helped his country earn with his 10 points in 7 games in 1984, the year before he says was his greatest national memory: winning gold in the 1985 world championships. The following year he scored 7 goals, 12 points in 10 world championship games. Hrdina had played in the 1984 and 1987 Canada Cups, scoring three points in the latter tourney. He was named Top Forward at the 1987 Calgary Cup, a pre-Olympic tune-up 4-team tourney with Canada and the Soviets, Hrdina scoring a hat trick against a USA team featuring the likes of Hull and Nieuwendyk. He then went on to score 7 points in the 1988 Olympics.

In his first full NHL season, at age 31, he put up a respectable 54 points (on a Flames team deep at center: Gilmour, Nieuwendyk, Otto) and was second among NHL rookies in +/- with +19. He didn't play much in Calgary's Cup winning run but later in Pittsburgh, he had a role. In the Pens first championship run Hrdina was the Game 7 hero with two goals, including the winner, against the Devils in the divisional semifinals. He got a kidney injury on that run that prevented him from playing several of the games in the Finals. The following year, when the Pens defended the cup, coach Scotty Bowman played Hrdina every game of the playoffs (behind Lemieux, Francis, Trottier), one of only six Pit forwards to do so due to team injuries.

Hrdina was one of Czechoslovakia's best internationals in his twenties and an NHL depth role player in his early thirties, playing for two teams deep at the center ice position, Hrdina accepting Bottom-6 minutes and checking duties, and receiving recognition for doing so.

Quote:
A masterful puckhandler and great skater, Hrdina never produced huge numbers in the NHL. In fact he didn't in the Czech leagues either. He was a solid two way competitor who would serve as a great depth player on two strong NHL teams - the Calgary Flames and the Pittsburgh Penguins.
http://internationalhockeylegends.bl...ri-hrdina.html

Quote:
In time, however, he was put in the center and could devote himself to playing forward. He asserted himself as a shooter and grew as a personality, too. In the 1986-87 season with Sparta he made up an excellent attack line with the ambitious right winger xxxxxxx. They were a great success and, thanks to them, a complete line from one team went to play for Czechoslovakia in the World Championship in Vienna.

In Calgary and later in Pittsburgh, he was not among the key figures on the team. He was biding his time as an underrated defensive forward....
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...p?player=10670

Quote:
On missing all but two games of the Stanley Cup Final:

In Minnesota, I got hurt and I couldn't play the last game because I was hurt. I got cross-checked from one of the Minnesota players, and I start to pee blood and stuff, so I had some bruised kidneys so I couldn't go.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_714429.html

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:06 PM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Ingarfield is a good 4th line center option, but our team's fourth line has Meeking and Peltonen so we felt Hrdina was the best fit. All three had heroic performances ont he biggest stages of their eras, Hurricane also bringing PIMs, Peltonen two-way play, and Hrdina some defensive respect and bottom-6 role on a Bowman cup team. Meeking-Hrdina-Peltonen will see 3rd line minutes when trailing,...

VanIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:10 PM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Today's started off quickly...

Last edited by VanIslander: 10-23-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old
10-23-2011, 12:12 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanIslander View Post
Ingarfield is a good 4th line center option, but our team's fourth line has Meeking and Peltonen so we felt Hrdina was the best fit. All three had heroic performances ont he biggest stages of their eras, Hurricane also bringing PIMs, Peltonen two-way play, and Hrdina some defensive respect and bottom-6 role on a Bowman cup team. Meeking-Hrdina-Peltonen will see 3rd line minutes when trailing,...
I love Hrdina overall as a player, and two days ago I was positive I wanted the guy. I was ready to rave about his accomplishments outside of the NHL:

- 5th, 6th, 7th in Czech league scoring (surely these are as good as 60-point NHL seasons)
- 2nd, 3rd in Czech MVP voting
- 5th, 5th in Major world tournament scoring
- 7th in Golden Stick Voting (Most outstanding European)

...plus he has experience at all three forward positions. However, I went to find some good evidence that he was a strong defensive player for his NHL teams. What I found was that he stunk defensively - literally a liability. I was really disappointed but because I really liked his overall resume I moved him over to the top of my list for offensive players if I am to participate in another draft.

Hrdina's role, it seems, as far as the term "role player" is concerned, was to be a 4th line player who went out to win special teams faceoffs for Mario.

Old
10-23-2011, 12:22 PM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
Hrdina's role, it seems, as far as the term "role player" is concerned, was to be a 4th line player who went out to win special teams faceoffs for Mario.
So he's awesome at face-offs eh? That explains why Scotty Bowman played him every postseason game on their march to the Stanley Cup repeat? I'd love some links or source references.

Old
10-23-2011, 12:38 PM
jkrx

Detroit Cougars selects: Kris King, LW

Quote:
Kris King was a rugged left-winger whose experience and work ethic made him a natural leader wherever he played. He maximized what talent he had to last parts of 14 years in the NHL.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:04 PM
Velociraptor

Frank McCool, G
Hrdina and Ingarfield were both on my radar.

Velociraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:22 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

The Springfield Indians will select a very solid grinder who reached 20 goals and 50 points on 3 different occasions.

RW: Scott Walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Tonk: The Amazing Story of the Nashville Predators
The Stars' crafty center, Mike Modano, occupies center stage in Walker's mind. As a defenseman turned forward, Walker is sure he will get the job of checking the Modano-Hull line tonight. With his "in your face" defensive style, Walker often gets the nod to check the other team's top scoring line. Ironically Walker score more when he played defense, but Vancouver, which drafted him and brought him into the league in the '94-'95 season, converted him into a checking, defensive forward.

Trotz, who first saw Walker play in the minors with Syracuse (walker skated by Trotz's Portland Pirates' bench and taunted the team's tough guy), wanted his aggressive style for Nashville and has added penalty killing and even some power-play responsibilities to his job. It's almost a tradition in hockey to get a nickname, and Vancouver Canucks Head Coach XXXX XXXXXXXXX dubbed Walker "Wild Thing" in recognition of his feisty, gritty style. The tag has stuck, but around the Predators, he's mostly known as "Walks."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legends of Hockey
Scott Walker is a prime example of how hard work and determination can pay off. Walker was considered an average junior player during his two seasons in the OHL with the Owen Sound Platers but scouts saw a strong work ethic and commitment to the game.
829 Games, 151 Goals, 246 Points, 397 Points, 1162 PIM, 16:55 ATOI

On top of that he has played 26 World Championship Games for Team Canada, contributing with eleven points and his solid defensive play.

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:24 PM
Rob Scuderi

G Andy Aitkenhead

The Glasgow Gobbler had a very brief but illustrious NHL career. He played every single game in net for the Rangers his first two seasons and finished 4th and 5th in GA. He won the Stanley Cup his first season leading the Ranger with a 1.60GAA and 2 shutouts in 8GP. He finished his second seasons with 7 shutouts, and with only 2 goals given up in two playoff games. We hope his playoff and SC experience will make him a good backup for Palmateer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoH
A standout for two full seasons with the New York Rangers from 1932 to 1934, Aikenhead took over the starting job from John Ross Roach and for two years was a solid if unspectacular netminder. He had played ten years in various minor leagues out west, most notably appearing in the Allan Cup finals in 1924 and 1926 with Saskatoon.

Aitkenhead's rookie season of 1932-33 was a Stanley Cup-winning one as he played all eight games for the Broadway Blueshirts, winning six and recording two shutouts en route to the championship in four games over Toronto. At 29, Aitkenhead looked set to be the team's goalie of the future.

After playing every game of the following season, though, the team was eliminated from the playoffs quickly and he lost the starter's job the next season to Davey Kerr. Aitkenhead played just ten games, and spent the next six seasons in the PCHL, retiring in 1941.
He was also a bit out there,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelletier
"When I joined the Rangers I replaced Andy Aitkenhead. They tell me he got so he'd lock himself in his room after a game and play the game over and over. By the time the next game rolled around, he'd played 48 games in that room."

Such neurotic behavior must have worried the Rangers brain trust enough to look for a replacement goalie, and they obviously found one in Kerr. The man dubbed as "The Glasgow Gobbler" appeared in just 10 games in 1934-35 season and finished the year in the minors, never to play in the NHL again.

Whether the stories of Aitkenhead's obsessions are myth or fact, Andy continued to play hockey for several more seasons.

Last edited by Rob Scuderi: 10-23-2011 at 06:23 PM.
Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:45 PM
BenchBrawl
joueur de hockey

here's my defense:

joe reekie
patrice brisebois
phillipe boucher
dana murzyn
craig rivet
duke dukowski
joni pitkanen

what pairing would you do with this?

and which of these dman would you put as a spare?

BenchBrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 01:48 PM
chaosrevolver
Snubbed Again

With our other pick, the Springfield Indians will select our assistant coach. With over 400 professional wins to his name..while he never did win a cup as a coach..he went to one final and made the playoffs ten out of eleven times.

Coach - Darryl Sutter

860 Games Coached, 409 Wins, 320 Losses, 101 Ties, 30 OTL

3x Division Winners
1x Stanley Cup Finalist

chaosrevolver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 03:21 PM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Reekie - Boucher
Murzyn - Dukowski
Rivet - Brisebois
Pitkanen

I would have recommended Duke for top pairing but my draft research on him showed he was a LW/C/D, playing forward early in his career and "primarily" defense in the NHL, putting a huge question mark on his offensive numbers. Still, he was a talent and a leader.

Rivet or Reekie must play with Beeze-By and the latter ought not to get a lot of regular shift minutes when not trailing, hence Rivet's limited minutes. But Rivet can play both special teams units, adding ice time. He is a good alternate captain candidate.

Pitkanen is too inconsistent to be anything but a coaching decision and one of (hopefully) two extra blueliners to cover for cases of injury and suspension.

Old
10-23-2011, 04:26 PM
jkrx

Detroit Cougars selects: Hank Bassen, G

Quote:
This red-haired goalie was never a regular in the NHL. He was a utility goalie who did his backup job very well. Being a back-up is one of the most difficult roles in hockey but Hank filled that role admirably. He even got the tag "Mr. Emergency" because of the way he was called in for duty. Unfortunately for Hank he played on NHL teams with great goaltenders. In Chicago he was stuck behind Al Rollins and in Detroit it was Terry Sawchuk (and later Roger Crozier).
Quote:
Hank's playing style was unorthodox which didn't always sit well with his trainers. When Hank played for the legendary Eddie Shore in Springfield in 1958-59, he was wandering too much out of his position and flopping to the ice. So ol' Eddie Shore tied a rope around Hank's neck and the crossbar so that Hank wouldn't flop to the ice and wander out of his crease without getting strangled. Eddie however might have had some impact on Hank who was the WHL MVP, best goalie and a first team All-Star in 1960 when he led the league in several categories.

jkrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 04:59 PM
tony d
ATD 2015

Garnish finishes their starting lineup by selecting 4th line left winger, Brent Gilchrist.

Primarily a defensive player, Garnish will also depend on Gilchrist to be effective on the penalty kill. In 792 NHL games Gilchrist had 305 points.

For more on Gilchrist click the following link:

http://habslegends.blogspot.com/2011...gilchrist.html

10-23-2011, 05:59 PM
seventieslord

Quote:
So he's awesome at face-offs eh? That explains why Scotty Bowman played him every postseason game on their march to the Stanley Cup repeat? I'd love some links or source references.
Yes, I assume he was very proficient on faceoffs based on that. To avoid tons of typing and dictating, I will likely just photograph his scouting reports for you later tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velociraptor View Post
Frank McCool, G
Hrdina and Ingarfield were both on my radar.
Eventually you have to give McCool his due. No time like the present. He had made it to my top-5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
The Springfield Indians will select a very solid grinder who reached 20 goals and 50 points on 3 different occasions.

RW: Scott Walker

829 Games, 151 Goals, 246 Points, 397 Points, 1162 PIM, 16:55 ATOI

On top of that he has played 26 World Championship Games for Team Canada, contributing with eleven points and his solid defensive play.
As a bonus, he can drop back to D if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back Scuderi View Post
G Andy Aitkenhead

The Glasgow Gobbler had a very brief but illustrious NHL career. He played every single game in net for the Rangers his first two seasons and finished 4th and 5th in GA. He won the Stanley Cup his first season leading the Ranger with a 1.60GAA and 2 shutouts in 8GP. He finished his second seasons with 7 shutouts as well, and with only 2 goals given up in two playoff games. We hope his playoff and SC experience will make him a good backup for Palmateer.

He was also a bit out there,
Ow, my aitkenhead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosrevolver View Post
With our other pick, the Springfield Indians will select our assistant coach. With over 400 professional wins to his name..while he never did win a cup as a coach..he went to one final and made the playoffs ten out of eleven times.

Coach - Darryl Sutter

860 Games Coached, 409 Wins, 320 Losses, 101 Ties, 30 OTL

3x Division Winners
1x Stanley Cup Finalist
Hard not to like Sutte at this point. I liked Berry, I like Sutter even more. Way more games, similar win%, some adams recognition, great improvement in san jose.

Quote:
Reekie - Boucher
Murzyn - Dukowski
Rivet - Brisebois
Pitkanen

I would have recommended Duke for top pairing but my draft research on him showed he was a LW/C/D, playing forward early in his career and "primarily" defense in the NHL, putting a huge question mark on his offensive numbers. Still, he was a talent and a leader.

Rivet or Reekie must play with Beeze-By and the latter ought not to get a lot of regular shift minutes when not trailing, hence Rivet's limited minutes. But Rivet can play both special teams units, adding ice time. He is a good alternate captain candidate.

Pitkanen is too inconsistent to be anything but a coaching decision and one of (hopefully) two extra blueliners to cover for cases of injury and suspension.
We should contact Iain Fyffe to tdell us what he has on Dukowski. He was really good for that in the MLD.

Pitkanen is the only defenseman he has who has proven to be a #1 on a regular basis, even if a mediocre/inconsistent one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
Garnish finishes their starting lineup by selecting 4th line left winger, Brent Gilchrist.

Primarily a defensive player, Garnish will also depend on Gilchrist to be effective on the penalty kill. In 792 NHL games Gilchrist had 305 points.

For more on Gilchrist click the following link:

http://habslegends.blogspot.com/2011...gilchrist.html
Good pick, he'd have been tops on my list for a defensive LW next draft.

Old
10-23-2011, 10:45 PM
seventieslord

Old
10-23-2011, 11:19 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Dawson City selects Red Stuart, a seven-year NHL vet who was a part of the St. Pats' Cup win in 1922.

10-24-2011, 01:01 AM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
The Philadelphia Sting select coach Orval Tessier

He has a Jack Adams Trophy

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:06 AM
seventieslord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Dawson City selects Red Stuart, a seven-year NHL vet who was a part of the St. Pats' Cup win in 1922.
Intriguing pick! (aka Billy Stuart) - What more can you tell us about him? It's hard to say he was a bad player but it's also hard to say he was good. Lasting 7 years is a decent enough feather for his cap, but what else?

Old
10-24-2011, 08:38 AM
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
The Philadelphia Sting select coach Orval Tessier

He has a Jack Adams Trophy
The year before his Chicago team registered 106 points and thus he was voted the best coach in the NHL, he led an AHL team to the championship. The year before that he led a juniors team to the Memorial Cup, where he had won the championhip nine years previously. The guy's a winner!

Though he may be remembered for a coaching gaff which may have cost him the conference final series:
Quote:
Tessier may be best remembered for a quote during the 1983 Campbell Conference finals. After the Black Hawks gave up 14 goals in falling behind 2–0 to the Edmonton Oilers, Tessier fumed that Chicago players needed "heart transplants". The quip failed to inspire the Hawks, who dropped the final two games of the series at Chicago Stadium, marking the second consecutive year Chicago lost in the Campbell Conference final.

From Sports Illustrated back in 1982:

Quote:
Denis Savard, of all people, should've known better than to mouth off at Orval Tessier, the new coach of the Chicago Black Hawks. A dozen or so years ago, Tessier had coached the Hawk center at a youth hockey camp in Verdun, Quebec. One thing Savard learned, he says, was that Tessier's "a guy who lets you know who's boss."

But Gallic temper prevailed over memory when a frustrated Savard skated to the bench early in the third period of the Hawks' Sept. 26 preseason game against Minnesota and flung his gloves on the floor of the players' box. Then, recalls Tessier, "He says to me, 'That bleeping power play isn't working.' So I said to him, 'O.K., you don't bleeping have to play on it.' " Savard, who last year broke the Hawks' single-season scoring record with 119 points and whose scintillating stickhandling makes him a favorite with Chicago fans, spent the rest of the game on the bench while his team skated to a 3-2 loss.

By such remorselessly swift and unpolitic strokes of justice, Tessier, 49, has begun to recast the character of the first NHL team ever entrusted to him. It was a character sorely in need of recasting. In 1981-82, the Hawks were a sort of run-and-mug club that had the seventh-best offense in the 21-team league and the third-worst defense. They surrendered 31 more goals than they scored. In addition, only five teams were assessed more penalty minutes than Chicago, whose infractions included 33 misconducts. The Hawks ended the regular season in fourth place in the Norris Division with a 30-38-12 record. That they clutched and grabbed their way into the semifinals of the playoffs before losing to Vancouver only underscored the point that, while Chicago had talent, it lacked discipline. Today the Hawks seem to have both.

After Sunday's 7-3 win over Toronto, Chicago was 7-2-5 and second to Minnesota in the Norris. The Hawks had scored 13 more goals than they had given up (62 to 49) and, perhaps most indicative of the change Tessier has wrought, had the fourth-fewest penalty minutes in the league and only one misconduct. As for the Savard-Tessier relationship? Not to worry. "Denny came to see me next morning and said he wished it hadn't happened," says Tessier. "I said I wished it hadn't happened, and that was the end of it. I don't have a doghouse. I don't believe in treating human beings that way."

Besides taking quick command of the Hawks, "Orval's proving that better defense doesn't take away from our offense," says Savard, who after 14 games had six goals and 15 assists. So well has Tessier indoctrinated the Hawks with his gospel of defense that they never hesitate to spout one of his favorite maxims: "If we take care of our own end, the other end will take care of itself."
"Thus far he's proven it to us," says Doug Wilson, who last season won the NHL's Norris Trophy (best defenseman) primarily because he scored 39 goals, the second-highest total ever by a defenseman ( Bobby Orr had 49 in 1974-75). This year Wilson leads the Hawks in scoring with 22 points on four goals and 18 assists and in shots on goal with 54. Defensively, though, he's still a liability. As a result, in a 3-3 tie with Washington last week, Tessier had a chance to live up to another of his maxims: "I coach for the team, not the player." With nine seconds remaining in the opening period and a face-off in the Chicago defensive zone to the right of Goaltender Tony Esposito—a situation in which Wilson would cover the slot—Tessier left Wilson and his partner, Bob Murray, on the bench and sent out Greg Fox and Keith Brown in their place.

While Tessier later maintained that the decision was no reflection on Wilson's defensive ability, he did say, "Had the face-off been at the other end, Doug would've been out there. He's a great offensive defenseman, and I won't put any shackles on him. But I think we're going to see him become more of a two-way player, which he's perfectly willing to do."

"You work for Orval, you play for him," says Wilson. "That was the first thing he told us. He got our respect right away because he made a lot of moves and sat some people down. That takes guts for a rookie coach." In Chicago's season opener, at home against Toronto, Tessier didn't dress Captain Terry Ruskowski (who was later traded to Los Angeles) or veteran forwards Rich Preston and Grant Mulvey. In goal, he started third-year man Murray Bannerman over Esposito, a 13-season veteran who's revered around Chicago. Since then, the two net-minders have split the chores, with Esposito going 4-0-3 and Bannerman 3-2-2.

Nor did Tessier object when General Manager Bob Pulford traded veteran defenseman and tough guy Dave Hutchison, leaving 6'1", 205-pound Left Wing Al Secord, who had a team-high 303 penalty minutes in 1981-82, as the Hawks' chief enforcer. Secord, who boxes during the off-season to keep in shape, emerged as a scorer last year with 44 goals, and this season he ranks fifth in the NHL with 13. But Secord is another case of a star feeling the strictures of the Tessier regime.

"I played for Don Cherry in Boston," he says, "and in one way they [Tessier and Cherry] are alike because they stress hard work, but where Don wanted us to be physically intimidating, Orval emphasizes skating, coming back with your check, playing good position in our end."
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...6110/index.htm

Old
10-24-2011, 12:00 PM
tony d
ATD 2015

Garnish selects Defenseman Ed Carpenter.

Carpenter achieved most of his success in the days before the NHL. He had 36 goals and 7 assists in 143 games before entering the NHL.

For more on Carpenter click the following link:

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/Legen...p?player=12216

Last edited by tony d: 10-24-2011 at 12:14 PM.
tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 12:05 PM
Rob Scuderi

D Sean O'Donnell

1173 GP
19:29TOI/G
1790 PIM
x1 SC Champ ('07)

Last edited by Rob Scuderi: 10-27-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Rob Scuderi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 12:24 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Gilles Villemure, G

Villemure finished 3rd, 4th, 5th in All Star voting and played in 3 All Star games, all on merit.

He has the right mentality to be a backup, as he split starts with Ed Giacomin in his best years.

Full profile here: http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=147

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote