HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Is it normal to want your team to lose?

Old
10-24-2011, 10:51 AM
Et le But

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DohDog View Post
We're not talking about signing UFA's.

We're talking about developping your own star players.
And that takes years upon years of sucking. For every Crosby or Ovechkin that immediately puts up a point per game, there's 5 players who will need 3 or 4 years to come close to that, and that's only counting the best of the best.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 10:52 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
We have trouble attracting FAs now, imagine how easy it would be after 2 years of being one of the worst teams in the league.
When you are willing to spend money, you won't have any problems. See Buffalo even they signed players this off season which never happened before with the old owners.

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 10:52 AM
missthenet

The habs have been rebuilding 8 years already.We as a team are getting older. You don't trade young guys for aging veterans (Gomez) Lets rebuild the right way from the ground up and start with a GM and coach that have both won before, and stick with the plan. The habs have been all over the map. And ets get someone to protect Price before he gives up and completely loses focus .

=Bill McNeal;38397073]I seriously question fans of teams in the midst of a rebuild who sit down to watch every game wanting their team to lose. To do this after 7 games?[/QUOTE]

missthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 10:53 AM
AreYouHockey

Quote:
And that takes years upon years of sucking. For every Crosby or Ovechkin that immediately puts up a point per game, there's 5 players who will need 3 or 4 years to come close to that, and that's only counting the best of the best.
It's been 18 years since 1993.

I can wait 3 or 4 more

AreYouHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 10:57 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:

I can wait 3 or 4 more
Question; were u a Nords fan prior?

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 10:58 AM
AreYouHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
Question; were u a Nords fan prior?
No, god I hate them.

Old
10-24-2011, 11:02 AM
number72

if you want a lottery draft pick

number72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 11:06 AM
Et le But

Quote:

I can wait 3 or 4 more
Ask Washington fans how that works. Those draft picks sure didn't help them get farther than the Habs in the playoffs yet.

Or ask teams like San Jose and Vancouver, who have spent years as league powerhouses yet have as many cups as we do to show for it.

What's funny is the 1993 team wasn't even elite besides Roy, it was well rounded and probably better offensively than what we have now, but that team sure wasn't the product of tanking for draft picks.

Does this team need change? Probably. But this league is too competitive and too random nowadays to waste half a decade when you might not even have anything to show for it at the end.

Old
10-24-2011, 11:09 AM
AreYouHockey

Quote:
Ask Washington fans how that works. Those draft picks sure didn't help them get farther than the Habs in the playoffs yet.

Or ask teams like San Jose and Vancouver, who have spent years as league powerhouses yet have as many cups as we do to show for it.

What's funny is the 1993 team wasn't even elite besides Roy, it was well rounded and probably better offensively than what we have now, but that team sure wasn't the product of tanking for draft picks.

Does this team need change? Probably. But this league is too competitive and too random nowadays to waste half a decade when you might not even have anything to show for it at the end.
Yeah, maybe you're right. And maybe I don't want them to lose for half a decade. But of course I want them to lose another couple of games so JM goes.

Old
10-24-2011, 11:15 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
A few years ago fans used to say the same thing about Pittsburgh, then it was Chicago...

Washington has been contenders for years and are undefeated right now. Would it shock you if they won the cup this year? All you can ask for from your GM is to assemble the best team he can. Sometimes you do this (Ottawa) and it doesn't work out. But at least there is an effort made to actually get the team to the point where it has a legitimate chance at winning. Our club is not cup contending quality.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 11:17 AM
Pedro McGuire*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Here is what I would protect -
Plekanec
Cammalleri (unless someone offers a 1st + top prospect)
Pacioretty
Kostitsyn
Eller
Markov
Subban
Gorges
Price

Any one else on the roster can be had. Gomez, Spacek, Moen, Gionta, Gill, Cole. Cammy and Kostitsyn would be available for overpayments.
Markov? Really? I hate to say it but Markov's carreer is DONE. I would trade him for a bag of pucks at this point. If I was PG I would be furious with Markov's doctors and agent.

Pedro McGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 11:29 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
A few years ago fans used to say the same thing about Pittsburgh, then it was Chicago...

Washington has been contenders for years and are undefeated right now. Would it shock you if they won the cup this year? All you can ask for from your GM is to assemble the best team he can. Sometimes you do this (Ottawa) and it doesn't work out. But at least there is an effort made to actually get the team to the point where it has a legitimate chance at winning. Our club is not cup contending quality.
And yet we have gotten closer to the cup than Washington has, fluke or not.

Would I love flashy, exciting players like Ovechkin? Definitely. But great talent hasn't kept that team from having a lack of intangibles and terrible coaching. They could win the cup this year, or it could be the way it was when we knocked them out or the year before that, when they looked unstoppable going into the playoffs only to be exposed by the first non-Rangers team they look at.

Old
10-24-2011, 11:31 AM
JohnLennon

Every time someone mentions getting Yakupov or Grigorenko, I chuckle. If you think tanking for a high pick is a good idea you have to be off your rocker, ESPECIALLY with a team as young as ours. I bet most of you just want them because of hype and actually have no clue who they are or if they would even help this team.

I wish some of you stopped your incessant whining, it's getting sickening to read.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 11:35 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
And yet we have gotten closer to the cup than Washington has, fluke or not.

Would I love flashy, exciting players like Ovechkin? Definitely. But great talent hasn't kept that team from having a lack of intangibles and terrible coaching. They could win the cup this year, or it could be the way it was when we knocked them out or the year before that, when they looked unstoppable going into the playoffs only to be exposed by the first non-Rangers team they look at.
Here's the difference though, they have a young group that has been a contender for a few seasons now. They are a contender this year and are well set up for the future. They actually have a shot at a cup and we don't.

Old
10-24-2011, 11:38 AM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Let's see how long Ottawa lasts making this dramatic comebacks. Giving up 7 goals every game has got to take its mental toll on the team, I expect them to have the worst record when all is said and done and I don't see them continuing to score so much after constantly being beat down. I also don't think Ottawa is going to be anything but terrible for years.

I don't like Martin, if this continues I'm all in favour of hiring a more offensive minded coach, throwing caution to the wind and going all out on the offense. If we have nothing left to lose, why not, finishing with a terrible record does have its benefits.

But some people on this forum want a complete rebuild, which means dumping a lot of players in their primes and sucking for a good 2 to 5 years.
I never hope that the Habs lose.

I am a realist also. With Gauthier as GM and Martin as coach, we will be sucking for a good 2 to 5 years regardless.

This organization needs some fresh blood that is not tainted by the failed Gainey years. More people and fans are coming to that realization. We are now mired in mediocrity with a GM who trades a lot for cheap and ineffective players and a coach without a clue how to create a Stanley Cup contender with the talent that he has at his disposal.

To the OP, I understand your frustration. And to the people talking about tanking, no tanking necessary. Martin is providing a losing atmosphere without the need to purposefully tank.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 11:40 AM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

If you want the team to suck when Budaj is in net then have Carey Price play as a #7 on the blueline.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 11:46 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Yeah, maybe you're right. And maybe I don't want them to lose for half a decade. But of course I want them to lose another couple of games so JM goes.
Yeah sadly have to admit this is where I'm at as well. There's a distinction between 1) scheming to fail to finish low in the standings so we get a better draft pick; and 2) crap out in October resulting in profound changes to the team culture. I can't support the first option but I hope if we fail early that we'll soon get, at least, a new coach.

JLP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 12:01 PM
AreYouHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Yeah sadly have to admit this is where I'm at as well. There's a distinction between 1) scheming to fail to finish low in the standings so we get a better draft pick; and 2) crap out in October resulting in profound changes to the team culture. I can't support the first option but I hope if we fail early that we'll soon get, at least, a new coach.
And I'm not sure the players like to play for JM anyway...

Old
10-24-2011, 12:02 PM
AreYouHockey

And for Yakupov and Grigorenko, nothing is less certain that they will be #1 and #2

Old
10-24-2011, 12:04 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
What fans like you are doing are turning this once proud franchise into the Maple Leafs

and here you are once again, defending your lil Gomez....

I'm not cheering against my team, I'm cheering FOR my team .. and an end to this none sense.

It might be hard for you -- but you should try to look beyond the next play , the next goal or the next game....
Fans like you always fold when the going gets tough, that is not real fandom, where you turn on your team when they are struggling for 7 games! That's called being a quitter!

And if you actually knew what the identity of the Montreal Canadiens is, you'd know we aren't the Maple Leafs, we aren't accustomed to losing, and we're surely not accustomed to picking high in drafts. We are able to win without having to rely on a single individual, and there is no pride in finishing last and drafting a superstar. Pride comes from winning games against all odds and under Jacques Martin, we have won games we had no business winning, and so he will have my respect.

Oh and for someone who mentions to "look beyond the next play", I'd like to see your face if and when the Habs turn it around and work through their growing pains. This is where you start seeing the bandwagoners that are readily available to blame the coach, the organization, the players and anybody who tries to think other than "BLOW EVERYTHING UP".

Rather than giving the team a chance to rebound, fans like you have become vultures, ripping at everything until there is nothing left to shred, and if that doesn't work, you'll probably ask to blow things up again, and so forth. That is no solution, and I hope this time there won't be any protests in front of the Bell Center.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 12:05 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
What is the difference between the two? In either case you're hoping the team loses.

And how is losing for the month of October only going to lead to profound changes? Maybe the coach will change but what else do you expect will happen?

Old
10-24-2011, 12:06 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
And I'm not sure the players like to play for JM anyway...
The team was built for a more open system that would make better use of our offensive speed.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 12:09 PM
AreYouHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Fans like you always fold when the going gets tough, that is not real fandom, where you turn on your team when they are struggling for 7 games! That's called being a quitter!

And if you actually knew what the identity of the Montreal Canadiens is, you'd know we aren't the Maple Leafs, we aren't accustomed to losing, and we're surely not accustomed to picking high in drafts. We are able to win without having to rely on a single individual, and there is no pride in finishing last and drafting a superstar. Pride comes from winning games against all odds and under Jacques Martin, we have won games we had no business winning, and so he will have my respect.

Oh and for someone who mentions to "look beyond the next play", I'd like to see your face if and when the Habs turn it around and work through their growing pains. This is where you start seeing the bandwagoners that are readily available to blame the coach, the organization, the players and anybody who tries to think other than "BLOW EVERYTHING UP".

Rather than giving the team a chance to rebound, fans like you have become vultures, ripping at everything until there is nothing left to shred, and if that doesn't work, you'll probably ask to blow things up again, and so forth. That is no solution, and I hope this time there won't be any protests in front of the Bell Center.
I don't think folding after 18 years means you're not a real fan.

Sometimes, when you are the one paying the salaries with your tickets, you have the right to expect for more. And patching holes isn't the solution, that's why we're now talking about losing...for bigger changes.

Old
10-24-2011, 12:12 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Remember how our team played 60 minutes worth of trap against the Bruins in Game 1 and 2 of last years playoffs, and how we won both games? I didn't hear any complaining from Habs fans that it was "boring", all I heard was "win".

The moment we came home and started opening up, the Bruins came right back into the series. I'll let the team live or die with Jacques Martin. That man can make magic happen, and players like Plekanec and Gionta believe in his system.

Quote:
I don't think folding after 18 years means you're not a real fan.

Sometimes, when you are the one paying the salaries with your tickets, you have the right to expect for more. And patching holes isn't the solution, that's why we're now talking about losing...for bigger changes.
If you waited 18 years to watch a team win the cup (and I don't agree with the premise), I thought maybe you (and other fans) could wait more than 7 games before chalking this one as a failure of a season.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 12:13 PM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

If the habs win tonight... they will have the same amount of points as the Bruins in the same amount of games. You think they are thinking of tanking the season?

Perspective gentlemen!

Dirty Danglez is offline   Reply With Quote