HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Gaborik - Beast Mode

Old
10-21-2011, 06:30 PM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

vCash: 500
Don't see him reaching 50 goals. Definitely possible, but very slim chance. I would be more than happy with 40 goals.

RangerBlue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 07:41 PM
Ranger109

I am loving the way Gaborik is playing. He is a goal scorer, I am fine with what he does and how he plays. Gaborik is looking real good!

Ranger109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Sockosensei

Sure, he doesn't (and shouldn't) bang bodies.
And while I don't see any Selke trophies in his immediate future, he does play the defensive side of the game. Combined with his offensive instincts and skills he's a very effective player when healthy.

I just don't see what people have to complain about with Gabs this season.

Sockosensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 08:17 PM
ciggy

if he wasn't so humble he would probably be donnin a jersey with a crazy high number

ciggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 10:31 PM
darko

Where's that poster that kept on calling him Maryjane entire offseason?

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 02:10 PM
94Obsession

While it's nice to see Gaborik off to a good start and playing engaged, can we all wait until mid-season or the end of the season to judge him? It's only been 5 games. Who knows what the next 5 games will bring let alone most of the other games. I still don't want any excuses for the guy for last season. That's in the past now. Let's move foward, and hopefully Gaborik will continue to play like he's capable of.

Instead of glorifying these players after 5 games, we should wait for, you know, most of the season to be played. Just saying.

94Obsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 03:31 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94Obsession View Post
While it's nice to see Gaborik off to a good start and playing engaged, can we all wait until mid-season or the end of the season to judge him? It's only been 5 games. Who knows what the next 5 games will bring let alone most of the other games. I still don't want any excuses for the guy for last season. That's in the past now. Let's move foward, and hopefully Gaborik will continue to play like he's capable of.

Instead of glorifying these players after 5 games, we should wait for, you know, most of the season to be played. Just saying.
Agreed, but you can't deny that he looks like a totally different player.

Jabroni is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 03:39 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

All I have to say is that there are a lot of people on these boards that need to eat major crow about Gaborik.

The guy had one bad year (for whatever reason) and all of a sudden he's a scrub. People quickly forget about how he scored 40 goals with Erik Christensen as his center. Everyone was ready to write him off and say he's done, he's soft, etc.

I am so happy he proved all those doubters wrong. I was personally convinced he would come back strong this year. The man has that fire again and he's the difference maker that we remember from 2 years ago. I'm happy he shut up a lot of doubters.

Way to go Gabby.

10-22-2011, 03:44 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

Quote:

You couldn't be more correct. It's really not okay for people to say "damn, he's been playing well lately!"

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 04:47 PM
94Obsession

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Agreed, but you can't deny that he looks like a totally different player.
I wasn't denying or disagreeing at all. In fact Gaborik looks good so far, but it's very early.

I was just saying let most of the season play out first, and see how Gaborik is doing then, good or bad.

Didn't mean to sound like I was denying him off to a good start. Obviously he is. Just trying to keep ourselves honest though lol.

94Obsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 06:54 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
I wasn't denying or disagreeing at all. In fact Gaborik looks good so far, but it's very early.

I was just saying let most of the season play out first, and see how Gaborik is doing then, good or bad.

Didn't mean to sound like I was denying him off to a good start. Obviously he is. Just trying to keep ourselves honest though lol.
Yes, keeping a level head is always good.

Some people here would say "Gabby has 4 goals in 5 games, that's x goals i a full season!!!!111!"

Old
10-22-2011, 07:47 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Just checked the calendar. Mine says October.

It's too bad Gaborik has been acquitted of whatever ailed him last year because it's going to be very tough for you guys to come up with new excuses when he disappears in March and April.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2011, 08:04 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
Just checked the calendar. Mine says October.

It's too bad Gaborik has been acquitted of whatever ailed him last year because it's going to be very tough for you guys to come up with new excuses when he disappears in March and April.
March 10, 2010 - April 11 2010
16 games
7 goals
10 assists
17 points
+5
47 shots on goal

Or are you only talking about March and April of last season, when it was painfully obvious that he was playing through an injury?

RANGERS =
we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 12:07 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
16 games
7 goals
10 assists
17 points
+5
47 shots on goal

Or are you only talking about March and April of last season, when it was painfully obvious that he was playing through an injury?
haters are gonna hate. Abev hates Gabby.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:05 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
16 games
7 goals
10 assists
17 points
+5
47 shots on goal

If Gaborik was hurt last year then Marc Staal got a concussion from being hit in the knee.

Those are great stats. But maybe you don't look close enough at when a player decides it's safe to be good. 2010 was a non-playoff year. Feel free to post stats from March and April of 2011 when the Rangers were a playoff team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
haters are gonna hate. Abev hates Gabby.
I won't argue with you whether I hate him or not. He's a a very good player who is paid to be elite, who many Rangers fans thinks is elite, but he just isn't. Gaborik will never ever be the #1 guy. Gaborik will never put a team on it's back when it matters. Gaborik will always make the safe play, just like the patented break away 5 hole try on Khabibulin last night that almost never works but he keeps trying because a shot on goal is safer than sniping and missing the net.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 10:19 PM
Jabroni
The Corporate Mod

Quote:
If Gaborik was hurt last year then Marc Staal got a concussion from being hit in the knee.

Those are great stats. But maybe you don't look close enough at when a player decides it's safe to be good. 2010 was a non-playoff year. Feel free to post stats from March and April of 2011 when the Rangers were a playoff team.

I won't argue with you whether I hate him or not. He's a a very good player who is paid to be elite, who many Rangers fans thinks is elite, but he just isn't. Gaborik will never ever be the #1 guy. Gaborik will never put a team on it's back when it matters. Gaborik will always make the safe play, just like the patented break away 5 hole try on Khabibulin last night that almost never works but he keeps trying because a shot on goal is safer than sniping and missing the net.
A shot on goal is better than missing the net on a breakaway.

Old
10-23-2011, 10:48 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Not entirely sure what this is supposed to mean. You honestly don't think he was injured?

Quote:
In 2010 we were pushing for the playoffs. How is whether or not we finally got in ultimately Gaborik's fault when he produced big time? Shouldn't it be a feather in his cap that when the games mattered (and he was healthy) he played his best?

we want cup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:03 AM
darko

Quote:

This is a guy that carried us offensively 2 years ago. He was something like 20% of the offense. To me that's putting a team on your back. There was no way Rangers get eliminated on the last day if Gaborik didnt have a season he did.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 02:59 AM
SouthJerseyRanger

Even during a rough game like we had vs. Edmonton, Gaborik was the best player on the ice. You can tell by the way Richards was focusing on him all game. Every time Brad got the puck his head was up looking for Gabby streaking down the ice. Gaborik is not only finishing his chances this year but creating chances by finding the open spots on the ice and ANITCIPATING where those open spots are going to be. He's got a streak of intensity that I don't even think I saw in his FIRST year with the Rangers where he put up 42 goals.

I have a feeling that this is going to be a hell of a year for Gaborik.

SouthJerseyRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 03:20 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
This is a guy that carried us offensively 2 years ago. He was something like 20% of the offense. To me that's putting a team on your back. There was no way Rangers get eliminated on the last day if Gaborik didnt have a season he did.
Good point.

But at the same time, thats what he is paid to do. We should not forget that. We carry him at a 7m pricetag.

At 7m, he should be a franchise player. Even if he can't be that, but still is a very good player for us, I think its worth to keep him around.

But he better contribute more then he did last season. If not, and he just is a somewhat engmatic 25-30 goal scorer for us, having him on at the team at 7m per is a big burden actually.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 10:59 AM
ranger_nick

gabby has been one of the only bright spots to start this season along with henrik, prust and girardi.

There have been many disappointments to start...

Still early and if gabby plays like this most of the season and the pack line wakes up and staal/sauer comes back soon.

I think we will be fine.

ranger_nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 12:00 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Where's that poster that kept on calling him Maryjane entire offseason?
He'll be back. He's got a chick in white bikini as his avatar, that's all I remember.

People like him don't say a word, and then what will happen is Gabby wil score 40+ but he won't have a goal in a big game and he'll come out and make jokes about him being a woman or something and act like he's a waste.

That's how haters are usually. Not a lot of substance to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Good point.

But at the same time, thats what he is paid to do. We should not forget that. We carry him at a 7m pricetag.

At 7m, he should be a franchise player. Even if he can't be that, but still is a very good player for us, I think its worth to keep him around.

But he better contribute more then he did last season. If not, and he just is a somewhat engmatic 25-30 goal scorer for us, having him on at the team at 7m per is a big burden actually.
His first year he was worth his contract. His second year obviously not, but that's what happens when you SEPARATE YOUR SHOOTING SHOULDER and you're a sniper.

But let's not forget that a person's labor is only worth what someone is willing to pay them for it.

If you ultimately think that Gaborik's play is not equivalent with his cap hit, that's something that falls on Sather.

Gabby was who he was. We all knew it when we went out and signed him.

For anyone to expect him to be anything different than that because now he's making more money, I'm not sure I ever buy into that with any player.

Do we all want players to live up to their contracts so we get the most bang for our buck? Absolutely.

But there are way too many variables when looking at something like that to just sit there and arbitrarily conclude that X players is or isn't worth X amount.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 12:16 PM
ranger_nick

as for last year, if i had to go to work and christienson sat next to me. i probably would suck at my job too.

ranger_nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 12:43 PM
ChrisKreider20
Oh Hai Guise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
He'll be back. He's got a chick in white bikini as his avatar, that's all I remember.

People like him don't say a word, and then what will happen is Gabby wil score 40+ but he won't have a goal in a big game and he'll come out and make jokes about him being a woman or something and act like he's a waste.

That's how haters are usually. Not a lot of substance to it.

His first year he was worth his contract. His second year obviously not, but that's what happens when you SEPARATE YOUR SHOOTING SHOULDER and you're a sniper.

But let's not forget that a person's labor is only worth what someone is willing to pay them for it.

If you ultimately think that Gaborik's play is not equivalent with his cap hit, that's something that falls on Sather.

Gabby was who he was. We all knew it when we went out and signed him.

For anyone to expect him to be anything different than that because now he's making more money, I'm not sure I ever buy into that with any player.

Do we all want players to live up to their contracts so we get the most bang for our buck? Absolutely.

But there are way too many variables when looking at something like that to just sit there and arbitrarily conclude that X players is or isn't worth X amount.
I dont think it was that simple in regards to his performance last year. Something else must've been going on because last year he wasn't even skating hard... Maybe the fiance rumours were true...

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 12:56 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan68 View Post
I dont think it was that simple in regards to his performance last year. Something else must've been going on because last year he wasn't even skating hard... Maybe the fiance rumours were true...
I'm not going to discredit the affect something like that might have on an individual, but I don't think not skating hard has to do with that.

Been through this already many times and in this thread as well, and while there are many out there who refuse to believe he was injured, it's one of the more obvious things IMO.

You don't separate your shooting shoulder as a sniper and come back two weeks later and everything is a-okay.

What were people's complaints about him last year? Not "skating hard", not going into the dirty areas, not being able to finish his chances.

All of these are obvious results of a player dealing with an injury that's playing tentative. His shot last year was so bad after his injury, he looked like Gilroy trying to get the puck through for crying out loud.

That shouldn't be surprising to anyone. It's his freaking shooting shoulder. I'm not sure why people don't want to understand that.

You're not going to be flying into corners, battling physically, and doing all the other stuff that irritated people last year when you're protecting an injury.

Anyone who has ever had one or played with one wouldn't have a hard time understanding that.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote