HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Is it normal to want your team to lose?

Old
10-24-2011, 12:16 PM
Lafleurs Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Fans like you always fold when the going gets tough, that is not real fandom, where you turn on your team when they are struggling for 7 games! That's called being a quitter!
I'd say you're a quitter when you go out and get a bunch of mediocre free agents to try to get 8th place instead of working towards a cup. Why aren't you holding management to a higher standard?

Why are you happy with a team that gives away a great prospect for Scott Gomez?
Quote:
And if you actually knew what the identity of the Montreal Canadiens is, you'd know we aren't the Maple Leafs, we aren't accustomed to losing, and we're surely not accustomed to picking high in drafts. We are able to win without having to rely on a single individual, and there is no pride in finishing last and drafting a superstar. Pride comes from winning games against all odds and under Jacques Martin, we have won games we had no business winning, and so he will have my respect.
We aren't the Maple Leafs only in so far as we used to have a winning team and we actually make 8th place most of the time. And the Leafs believe it or not have been to the Conference finals more times than we have since we last won the cup.

We are accustomed to losing and the fact that people come here and defend our 8th place finishes as some sign of success is proof of this.

We have taken a page out of Toronto's book and have built with overpriced free agents the way they used to get quick fixes like Jason Blake. We are becoming more like them every season and we now have 18 year olds who don't know what it's like to watch their team win a cup. And those guys probably won't know that feeling anytime soon with the roster we have.

Why are you happy with this?
Quote:
Oh and for someone who mentions to "look beyond the next play", I'd like to see your face if and when the Habs turn it around and work through their growing pains. This is where you start seeing the bandwagoners that are readily available to blame the coach, the organization, the players and anybody who tries to think other than "BLOW EVERYTHING UP".
If we turn it around... great. Maybe we can get 8th or 7th place. Maybe we can win a playoff round too but we're not winning a cup. And there's no reason to believe we will be good enough next year either.

And we blew everything up two years ago. We replaced our mediocre team with more mediocre guys... how is this progress?
Quote:
Rather than giving the team a chance to rebound, fans like you have become vultures, ripping at everything until there is nothing left to shred, and if that doesn't work, you'll probably ask to blow things up again, and so forth. That is no solution, and I hope this time there won't be any protests in front of the Bell Center.
Some of us have been saying that we've needed a rebuild for a long time. The losing streak has nothing to do with my opinion. We should've done this a long time ago.

The losing streak sucks and I don't want us to lose, but the reality is that if it brings management to the realization that we aren't really all that great a team, then there's at least a silver lining here.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 12:16 PM
AreYouHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Danglez View Post
If the habs win tonight... they will have the same amount of points as the Bruins in the same amount of games. You think they are thinking of tanking the season?

Perspective gentlemen!
No. Because they won the cup in 2011.
Habs won in it 1993.

Perspective sir.

AreYouHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 12:18 PM
Lshap

Defeatist crap.

Yeah, I know where it's coming from, the frustration that makes you think the only way the kid will REALLY learn not to go near the stove is to let him get burned.

But we're NOT in a rebuilding mode. We have plenty of talent, enough for a deep playoff run. We are a much better team than the Mr. October flashes like the Leafs. However, we ARE driving with a flat tire right now, as long as we're icing so many inexperienced defensemen. The big question is whether the flat tire needs a little air, a patch repair or a complete change.

Lshap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 12:19 PM
llamateizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DohDog View Post
Habs won in it 1993.

Perspective sir.
they almost have the same team as last year

why should we panic and not them?

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 12:20 PM
Aeneas

To be honest, i like the players PG is bringing in, we have a quick talented team, offensive and defensively, but it completely contrasts JM's style of play. I would let JM go before PG although i can't see PG firing him. I want our Habs to play well, i can't stand losing, i understand we could use the high pick and what not, but i think were a couple of tweaks away and a confidence building game away from really stepping it up and being the team we are capable of being, i still maintain, when healthy we are a contender

Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 12:20 PM
AreYouHockey

Quote:
If you waited 18 years to watch a team win the cup (and I don't agree with the premise), I thought maybe you (and other fans) could wait more than 7 games before chalking this one as a failure of a season.
Hey, I could have made this thread before the season.
I'm not talking about the season start. Everybody can see we don't have a cup contending team. Everybody can see that if we make the playoffs, it's going to be 8th once again. We'll never get out of this circle.

Old
10-24-2011, 12:21 PM
Double XX L

Quote:
Originally Posted by husamus156 View Post
they almost have the same team as last year

why should we panic and not them?
Because there is such thing as Cup hangover... What's our reasoning for not being prepared for the season?

Double XX L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 12:26 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
I'd say you're a quitter when you go out and get a bunch of mediocre free agents to try to get 8th place instead of working towards a cup. Why aren't you holding management to a higher standard?

Why are you happy with a team that gives away a great prospect for Scott Gomez?
This whole summer was a "bunch of mediocre free agents". Also, our 8th place finish, if I seem to recall, was through a series of injuries that prevented us from finishing higher and ended up costing us the series against the Bruins? It's always easy to ignore injuries to help your argument? This team did very well for themselves considering the type of talent they were missing, and the players picked up the slack and we should have nothing but respect for the way they played towards the end of the season.

But it's definitely easier to forget all that and start mentioning Scott Gomez every 2 seconds to justify the hate flowing through you. (and I don't disagree with the gomez hate)

I would answer the rest of your post, but I am at work now.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 12:48 PM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

Quote:
Habs won in it 1993.

Perspective sir.
That just solidifies my point good sir . They won the cup last year and are off to as bad of a start! They are a good team who started off bad. The habs... who gave these bruins the hardest series in their playoff run, are also off to a bad start. Who are you to say the bruins will make it out and the habs won't?

Dirty Danglez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 12:53 PM
AreYouHockey

Quote:
This whole summer was a "bunch of mediocre free agents". Also, our 8th place finish, if I seem to recall, was through a series of injuries that prevented us from finishing higher and ended up costing us the series against the Bruins? It's always easy to ignore injuries to help your argument? This team did very well for themselves considering the type of talent they were missing, and the players picked up the slack and we should have nothing but respect for the way they played towards the end of the season.

But it's definitely easier to forget all that and start mentioning Scott Gomez every 2 seconds to justify the hate flowing through you. (and I don't disagree with the gomez hate)

This team has too many second liners. But it's a nice depth at the same time. I'd like to see them work on an offensive system. And it's not gonna happen with JM.

Quote:
That just solidifies my point good sir . They won the cup last year and are off to as bad of a start! They are a good team who started off bad. The habs... who gave these bruins the hardest series in their playoff run, are also off to a bad start. Who are you to say the bruins will make it out and the habs won't?
This user answered for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post
Because there is such thing as Cup hangover... What's our reasoning for not being prepared for the season?

Last edited by Habsfan18: 10-24-2011 at 01:08 PM. Reason: merge
Old
10-24-2011, 01:03 PM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

Quote:
This user answered for me.
And this team's Defence has been riddled with injuries. What's your point? Excuses are excuses. I don't get what you are arguing here. Boston's excuse is more legitimate than Montreal's? Please. It's too early to call off the season, anyone who believes otherwise is just an emotional fool

Old
10-24-2011, 01:07 PM
AreYouHockey

Quote:
And this team's Defence has been riddled with injuries? What's your point? Excuses are excuses. I don't get what you are arguing here? Boston's excuse is more legitimate than Montreal's? Please. It's too early to call off the season, anyone who believes otherwise is just an emotional fool
Once again, for those only answering to the last post, I said it 3 times, I could have made this thread before the season. I'm not talking about the 1-4-2 start.

This defensive system is just boring. This coach is boring. We are not cup contenders, and we won't be next year, and the year after if we always finish 8th and sign average UFA'S.

Old
10-24-2011, 01:11 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Defeatist crap.

Yeah, I know where it's coming from, the frustration that makes you think the only way the kid will REALLY learn not to go near the stove is to let him get burned.

But we're NOT in a rebuilding mode. We have plenty of talent, enough for a deep playoff run. We are a much better team than the Mr. October flashes like the Leafs. However, we ARE driving with a flat tire right now, as long as we're icing so many inexperienced defensemen. The big question is whether the flat tire needs a little air, a patch repair or a complete change.
Agree with this 100%.

The posters who want their favorite team to tank just to draft players like Yakupov are not real fans at all. As I said earlier, it is so plainly obvious that those who want Yakupov or Grigorenko seem to not have a clue who the players actually are and just because at this point in time they are projected as top-two picks, it creates this aura of "superstar" that leaves whiny posters drueling over the prospect of obtaining one for free.

It's honestly pathetic to see people give up so easily on their team because they don't know hockey is played in 82 games a season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:16 PM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

Quote:
Once again, for those only answering to the last post, I said it 3 times, I could have made this thread before the season. I'm not talking about the 1-4-2 start.

This defensive system is just boring. This coach is boring. We are not cup contenders, and we won't be next year, and the year after if we always finish 8th and sign average UFA'S.
My original post wasn't even directed towards you lol. It was directed to those who think the season is already done. I just put things into perspective to those who think the sky is falling, yet you argue my point? Either you think the season is already over, or you feel you need to attack anyone showing some sort of optimism lol

Old
10-24-2011, 01:21 PM
AreYouHockey

Quote:
My original post wasn't even directed towards you lol. It was directed to those who think the season is already done. I just put things into perspective to those who think the sky is falling, yet you argue my point? Either you think the season is already over, or you feel you need to attack anyone showing some sort of optimism lol
The only thing I'm saying is;

What would be the point of finishing 8th again, and again and again.

Unless you really think the Habs are Cup contenders with this team... What's the point of having an average team forever.

Old
10-24-2011, 01:27 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:

Unless you really think the Habs are Cup contenders with this team... What's the point of having an average team forever.
Every team is a cup contender once they're in the playoffs.

I'd rather watch a team finish 8th every year and play really exciting playoff hockey every season than a team making the playoffs half the time as higher seeds and the other half the time "tanking" to get more good players.

The idea of tanking baffles me.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:32 PM
AreYouHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
Every team is a cup contender once they're in the playoffs.

I'd rather watch a team finish 8th every year and play really exciting playoff hockey every season than a team making the playoffs half the time as higher seeds and the other half the time "tanking" to get more good players.

The idea of tanking baffles me.
Looks like you wanna live or die with Jacques Martin.

I'd rather lose the next 5 and bring an offensive coach to start over and maybe make the playoffs anyway.

Old
10-24-2011, 01:37 PM
ymorin007*

Send a message via MSN to ymorin007*
Ok Habs fan we need one of you to follow in his footsteps and make a video about how you feel about the habs season.

ymorin007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:39 PM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

Quote:

Because two seasons ago we made it to the conference finals. Last season we took Boston to game 7 riddled with injuries, and because this team has been improving overall. It doesn't look like it now, but they are having a terrible start to the season, whether its the players or the coach or a mix of both.

What's the point of being a fan if you don't finish first is basically what you are asking right? If this team makes the playoffs in 8th place, they still have a chance to win the cup, and while they are an average team during the season... they are above average in the post season where it matters. So while I don't think Montreal is a favourite to win the cup, there is still a chance they might... and isn't that the point of cheering for your team?

Old
10-24-2011, 01:40 PM
AreYouHockey

Quote:
Because two seasons ago we made it to the conference finals. Last season we took Boston to game 7 riddled with injuries, and because this team has been improving overall. It doesn't look like it now, but they are having a terrible start to the season, whether its the players or the coach or a mix of both.

What's the point of being a fan if you don't finish first is basically what you are asking right? If this team makes the playoffs in 8th place, they still have a chance to win the cup, and while they are an average team during the season... they are above average in the post season where it matters. So while I don't think Montreal is a favourite to win the cup, there is still a chance they might... and isn't that the point of cheering for your team?
I'm not asking to finish first.

But you can't ask for goalie miracles in each of the 4 rounds.

We are not cup contenders.

Old
10-24-2011, 01:40 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

Do you honestly believe that our team is a cup contender? Do you think that we have the top end talent to realistically compete for a cup?

We're consistently at the bottom third in goals scored and depend on our goaltending and PP to get anywhere. That's been the story... forever. And as far as injuries go, yeah Markov was a bad break. But at this point we can't count on him for anything. If he comes back... great. But even if he does, I don't see how he turns us into a contender anyway. And we can't rely on that knee staying healthy. Our forwards are too small and we lack the top end talent to realistically win a cup.

As for Gomez, he's just the most stark example of what's wrong with us. But guys like Cole and Gionta aren't much better. The only difference is that we didn't give up prospects to get them. They aren't bad players but they won't take us anywhere. And we're building our core with those kinds of 2nd liners to try to win with. It's not likely to work.

Old
10-24-2011, 01:48 PM
Dirty Danglez
Take it like a Man

Quote:
I'm not asking to finish first.

But you can't ask for goalie miracles in each of the 4 rounds.

We are not cup contenders.
Boston did, and they got the cup.

Old
10-24-2011, 01:50 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Agree with this 100%.

The posters who want their favorite team to tank just to draft players like Yakupov are not real fans at all.
I'd say fans who are happy with us signing overpriced free agents so we can perpetually fight for 8th aren't real fans at all. What's wrong with you people anyway?

Don't you want us to actually try to build a cup winning team?
Quote:
As I said earlier, it is so plainly obvious that those who want Yakupov or Grigorenko seem to not have a clue who the players actually are and just because at this point in time they are projected as top-two picks, it creates this aura of "superstar" that leaves whiny posters drueling over the prospect of obtaining one for free.
We don't have to get either of those guys to do a rebulid. We can deal for picks and prospects and try to build from there.
Quote:
It's honestly pathetic to see people give up so easily on their team because they don't know hockey is played in 82 games a season.
What's pathetic is seeing people defend our mediocrity season after season and then come in with silly expectations of us finishing 8th and then actually winning a cup. "Everyone's a contender once they make the playoffs"... yeah right.

As far as 'giving up' on the team goes, we never should've assembled this group together in the first place. I think we're a playoff calibre team but I won't be shocked if we don't make it. We were never a lock to begin with and if this is what it takes to make management start to actually think about doing a full rebuild (which we have never done) then I think we'll be better off in the long run.

Being able to objectively look at your team and recognize that it's not good enough to win and then actually wanting the team to do something about it doesn't make anyone less of a fan.

Old
10-24-2011, 01:52 PM
coolasprICE

Quote:
Fans like you always fold when the going gets tough, that is not real fandom, where you turn on your team when they are struggling for 7 games! That's called being a quitter!
im willing to bet you were just a baby when we last won a cup.

i respect your opinion, but eventually you'll grow out of it.

coolasprICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:52 PM
AreYouHockey

Quote:
Boston did, and they got the cup.
Are you kidding me?

Boston had a top 3 NHL team on paper since the start of the season. Yes Thomas was very good. But the whole team put it together for the cup. They have a far better team than Montreal at every single position.