HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bernier to start Tuesday vs Devils

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2011, 02:49 PM
Chazz Reinhold

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
I absolutely have no problem with that. Bernier needs more starts to get his groove started with the team. The team needs him to rebound and I'm sure he wants to rebound too.

Murray says one thing and does another. It would make more sense if we were coming close to the playoffs and he is giving JQ a rest. But, it isn't. Oh well though.
I think people took the "hot hand" comment too literally. I interpreted it as meaning the goalie player the best would get the majority of the starts.

Old
10-24-2011, 02:53 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

vCash: 3733
Quote:
Murray should have never said he would go with the hot hand.

Meh. Quick should still be playing. It's still early in the season.

Haven't you learned from the past that TM will often say one thing and do another?

Old
10-24-2011, 02:57 PM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
Or, you know, maybe...just maybe, Murray is thinking about the team he currently has and is attempting to ensure that he has two sharp goaltenders.
That sounds crazy. They are definitely trying to showcase him.

Old
Winger23

Quote:
Or, you know, maybe...just maybe, Murray is thinking about the team he currently has and is attempting to ensure that he has two sharp goaltenders.
I understand the logic. Really I do. There is just a time where you must go with someone who is playing lights out. It's a long season, there is pleanty of games once JQ has cooled off to get some nights off to give JB some work to stay sharp. Right now, IMO is just not one of them. You have the hottest player in the NHL right now and not going with him.

Old
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Don't like it. Murray has gone on record as saying the hot hand gets the start. Nobody is hotter than Quick. And Quick has outstanding numbers vs New Jersey the last 2 years.

Old
10-24-2011, 02:59 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Kings play four games this week. Tuesday vs. NJ, Thursday vs. Dallas, Saturday vs. Phoenix, and Sunday vs. Colorado. It's good to give Quick a rest before facing Dallas again on Thursday, then probably have Bernier start against Colorado on Sunday.

Old
10-24-2011, 03:01 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBernierFan View Post
I like this decision, and not just because I'm a Bernier fan. That gives Quick the divisional starts, and keeps Bernier sharp. He's sat for a bit already. I'm glad Murray isn't going against his word on playing him more. Also, the team needs to feel comfortable with both goalies.
Couldn't agree more. This is a good idea. Besides Bernier is already familiar with the NJ forwards having seen them not too long ago.

Old
10-24-2011, 03:16 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Not sure I'd mess with the streak Quick currently is on. Hopefully Bernier comes through.

Old
10-24-2011, 03:21 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

The decision surprised me at first but then I remembered it's vs. an eastern team, the next 3 games are more important and Quick can't play 81 games. Fine with me.

TM does need to manage Quick's starts. He's got to be sharp for the playoffs. Bernier needs 25-30 starts through the season. Bernier's also a competitor and being pushed by Quick. I think he'll bring his A+ game.

Old
10-24-2011, 03:29 PM
onlyalad

As other have said this is a great time to rest him. East coast team and Quick knows that it isn't because of his play.
In other news JJ is a + 4
Greene has 17 hits
Kings are second in 5 on 5
Kings are 6th in PP%, I know you all had faith in Kompon.

Old
10-24-2011, 03:33 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Don't like it. Murray has gone on record as saying the hot hand gets the start. Nobody is hotter than Quick. And Quick has outstanding numbers vs New Jersey the last 2 years.
I'm sure Murray never expected to have a goalie pitching three straight shutouts either. Dude could use a rest, he's on pace to start close to 70 games this season and has started five straight. Let Bernier play.

If Quick started 70 games, then got hurt in the final game and missed the playoffs, everyone would by bit!@#$ that Bernier didn't start more often. No pleasing some people.

Old
10-24-2011, 03:37 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

What happens if Bernier gets the shutout, does he play the next game or does Quick start?

Nice problem to have eh?

Old
10-24-2011, 03:44 PM
Shellz

Quote:
I think people took the "hot hand" comment too literally. I interpreted it as meaning the goalie player the best would get the majority of the starts.
This is the latest post I can find about what Terry Murray had to say.

This much we know: Jonathan Quick will start tomorrow against the Rangers. As for Saturday against Buffalo, stay tuned. Terry Murray said during training camp that he might be more inclined to go with the ďhot handĒ in goal this season, rather than having a strict schedule for the goalies. The Kings are in a unique situation here. They play tomorrow and Saturday, but then not again until Thursday, so it could reasonably go either way, with Quick starting both games or with Jonathan Bernier getting the call against Buffalo on Saturday. Hereís what Murray said today when asked about his goalie plansÖ

MURRAY: ďThe only thing Iím going to say is that Quick is going to start the game tomorrow, will play the game tomorrow. We talked back home, in the early part of the training camp, where Iíve said that Iím not going to lock myself in, to where i have designated games for the goaltenders. Iím going to play it out right here at the start of the year. Everything is so critical. If we get a goaltender thatís on a roll, to me thatís going to be the right way to go.Ē

To me, that says, if you're winning, you're playing. Quick is on a roll. So, why not let him keep playing? Not that I wouldn't love for Quick to win every game, but that's obviously unreasonable. He is sooner or later going to falter. Then you let Bernier play. If Murray would have never said that, I wouldn't be making a big deal about it. I like that Bernier is going to get a start, he needs to. It's just to me, Murray is going against his word.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
I'm sure Murray never expected to have a goalie pitching three straight shutouts either. Dude could use a rest, he's on pace to start close to 70 games this season and has started five straight. Let Bernier play.

If Quick started 70 games, then got hurt in the final game and missed the playoffs, everyone would by bit!@#$ that Bernier didn't start more often. No pleasing some people.
What? Nobody expects Quick to play 70 games. Sooner or later Quick is going to need a rest, but since it's still so early in the season...he should just let Quick keep playing because he is playing so well.

Old
10-24-2011, 03:45 PM
Kingurentai

Shut outs are just novelties. What difference does it make whether we won 1-0 or 2-1?

Yeah it's cool and all but more important is Bernier needs to play and Quick needs a rest. I look forward to Bernier playing.

Old
10-24-2011, 03:52 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

this is good coaching, shows he is more concerned with the team and the full season, than Quick's meaningless, although still freaking awesome, shutout streak

We want Bernier playing 20 games this year to keep Quick fresh. The games against Dallas and Phoenix are the important ones this week, so Quick plays those

Old
10-24-2011, 03:55 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

JB needs to start more in order to keep his confidence. While Quick's streak is incredible and I would love to see him extend it, the points are all that really matter. Remember you're dealing with JB's ego as well and it can't feel good to have played only one game so far which was our only regulation loss.

Quick is our number one and there is no doubt about that. I would rather have him rested for the divisional games. Not to mention that Quick and the rest of the team probably feels more stress about being scored on when he's in net. Quick would have to get two more shutouts in a row just to tie the record, which is a tall order.

Old
10-24-2011, 03:56 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
This is the latest post I can find about what Terry Murray had to say.

This much we know: Jonathan Quick will start tomorrow against the Rangers. As for Saturday against Buffalo, stay tuned. Terry Murray said during training camp that he might be more inclined to go with the ďhot handĒ in goal this season, rather than having a strict schedule for the goalies. The Kings are in a unique situation here. They play tomorrow and Saturday, but then not again until Thursday, so it could reasonably go either way, with Quick starting both games or with Jonathan Bernier getting the call against Buffalo on Saturday. Hereís what Murray said today when asked about his goalie plansÖ

MURRAY: ďThe only thing Iím going to say is that Quick is going to start the game tomorrow, will play the game tomorrow. We talked back home, in the early part of the training camp, where Iíve said that Iím not going to lock myself in, to where i have designated games for the goaltenders. Iím going to play it out right here at the start of the year. Everything is so critical. If we get a goaltender thatís on a roll, to me thatís going to be the right way to go.Ē

To me, that says, if you're winning, you're playing. Quick is on a roll. So, why not let him keep playing? Not that I wouldn't love for Quick to win every game, but that's obviously unreasonable. He is sooner or later going to falter. Then you let Bernier play. If Murray would have never said that, I wouldn't be making a big deal about it. I like that Bernier is going to get a start, he needs to. It's just to me, Murray is going against his word.

What? Nobody expects Quick to play 70 games. Sooner or later Quick is going to need a rest, but since it's still so early in the season...he should just let Quick keep playing because he is playing so well.
Coaches are allowed to make decisions that benefit the team. Obviously TM feels that starting Bernier against NJ is best for the overall success of the team.

That being said I expect people to come on here saying what a genius Murray is if the Kings win the next 3 games and crucify him for this decision if they lose the next 3 games.

Old
10-24-2011, 03:56 PM
Winger23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
this is good coaching, shows he is more concerned with the team and the full season, than Quick's meaningless, although still freaking awesome, shutout streak

We want Bernier playing 20 games this year to keep Quick fresh. The games against Dallas and Phoenix are the important ones this week, so Quick plays those
The timing is just horrid. I don't care about the shutouts, he's hot plain and simple. JB still has pleanty of time to get in his 20 games. This should not be one of those nights.

If it were up to me, JQ in tomorrow and thursday, JB in against Phoenix and JQ again against the avs (the better team).

When we go on the canada/east coast roadies is when Bernier should be getting most of his 20 games in. There's no reason not to ride the hot goaltender, unless TM was just feeding us a bunch of crap.

Old
10-24-2011, 03:59 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyalad View Post
As other have said this is a great time to rest him. East coast team and Quick knows that it isn't because of his play.
In other news JJ is a + 4
Greene has 17 hits
Kings are second in 5 on 5
Kings are 6th in PP%, I know you all had faith in Kompon.
I know you meant it sarcastically, but I never blamed Kompon for any of the kings pp deficiencies. A coach can only do so much. We as fans have the luxury of second guessing.

Old
10-24-2011, 04:02 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

Why is everybody taking TM's words so literally?!? The best thing for this team is to have two sharp goalies that are not burned out. If TM played Quick every game for a while, then you run the risk of burning him out again for the playoffs...which would then lead to people getting angry that TM didn't give Quick enough rest, lol. The only think at risk here is Quick's shutout streak, which will not win us the cup. I care more about having two sharp goalies and going deep into the playoffs. This is a busy week for the Kings and it was a good decision to rest Quick before the divisional games.

Old
10-24-2011, 04:05 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
Coaches are allowed to make decisions that benefit the team. Obviously TM feels that starting Bernier against NJ is best for the overall success of the team.

That being said I expect people to come on here saying what a genius Murray is if the Kings win the next 3 games and crucify him for this decision if they lose the next 3 games.
Starting Bernier is a good decision. I wouldnt mind if either started. I will just leave it at that.

Agree'd about Murray. He is always going to get more hate than love.

Old
10-24-2011, 04:09 PM
bobafettish*

good decision, don't want to overwork Quick.

Old
10-24-2011, 04:14 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
Surprised at some of the responses.

I dont think it is a good decision with the potential of being a disastrous decision.

I have nothing against Bernier whatsoever, however...

This is an absolutely terrible spot for Bernier to be in. Everybody knows what is going to happen at Staples if he lets a goal or 2 in the 1st period. It won't matter if they are soft or not. There are enough "fans" at Staples to start booing, then all the knownothings will start booing, and on and on.

I feel really bad for Bernier to be in a spot like that. He has to play an absolutely perfect game to keep the fans at bay.

Old
10-24-2011, 04:42 PM
Kingsfan1

I think this is more about Bernier being sharp and getting a game in before Sunday because if he just played Sunday then that would be his 1st start in 3 weeks which would be a setup for failure.

Go Bernier !

Go Kings !

Old
10-24-2011, 04:48 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
From Murray:

Quote:
MURRAY: “It’s because of a decision I made a couple days ago. I let Bernier know on Saturday. I let him know after Saturday’s skate. I wanted to get him prepared. I knew Sunday was going to be a day off, and it let him have an opportunity to get himself ready over the day off and come in today and get a good workout in. So we’ve got a lot of games coming up right now. The schedule starts to get busy, and we’ve got three conference games right after New Jersey. It’s an opportunity, out of the early part of training camp here, to get him going.’’

Question: And Quick’s shutout streak doesn’t influence that?

MURRAY: “Well, I made the decision before the game and I’m not going to change that. I’ve talked to Bernie about it, I’ve talked to Quicker about it, to let him know. I talked to him briefly about it. That’s the way it is. That’s the decision made.’’

Question: Did Quick try to talk you out of it?

MURRAY: “He’s very understanding that it’s the early part of the year and there’s a lot of games coming up that are huge games for us. He can’t play all 82, although I say, `Why not?’ sometimes. [laughs]’’
http://lakingsinsider.com/2011/10/24...goalie-choice/

I'm okay with the move, just find it strange.

Closed Thread