HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Draft Thread (Draft Lottery 4/10 8PM on NBC Sports)

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2011, 02:45 PM
CBJ Bob
It Smells Bad!

vCash: 500
2012 Draft Thread (Draft Lottery 4/10 8PM on NBC Sports)

This may set a record for earliest watch of Draft Prospects ever on this board. Nail Yakupov has been lighting it up in the OHL. If he was draft eligible last June he probably would have gone #1 overall. Scouts say he is a Crosby/Stamkos type tallent. Since we are steamrolling for the best lottery odds for the #1 overall this brings up a dilema, he's a Russian. Do we go for him anyway or trade the pick?

Old
10-24-2011, 02:47 PM
wahsnairb

we take him if we're #1
we take murray if we aren't and he's on the board

Old
10-24-2011, 02:48 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Gilbert Brule was destined to be better than Crosby so I'll hold my breath on this one

Old
10-24-2011, 02:49 PM
wahsnairb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
Gilbert Brule was destined to be better than Crosby so I'll hold my breath on this one
AND THIS GUY IS RUSSIAN!!!!!!

Old
10-24-2011, 02:53 PM
ClevelandJacketFan
Awesome Mascots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahsnairb View Post

He's the perfectly made CBJ curse breaker.

Here to rectify all past screw ups.

Old
10-24-2011, 02:54 PM
cydawg
#DefendNWA

If the Jackets have the #1 overall pick, they have to take Yakupov. He's the best player in the draft by far.

Old
10-24-2011, 02:54 PM
plong123
Litebrite Stinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandJacketFan View Post
He's the perfectly made CBJ curse breaker.

Here to rectify all past screw ups.
I think you forgot the

Old
10-24-2011, 03:00 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

and nevermind there's no way in hell we actually win the lottery...

Old
10-24-2011, 03:15 PM
CBJ Bob
It Smells Bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
and nevermind there's no way in hell we actually win the lottery...
If we lost the lottery it would be the cruelest joke ever.

Old
10-24-2011, 03:18 PM
kshymkiw

Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Quote:
Originally Posted by cydawg View Post
If the Jackets have the #1 overall pick, they have to take Yakupov. He's the best player in the draft by far.
They should take him, and then trade and draft his buddy Galyenchuk. Awesome line there.

And to those who say Murray, why him over Ebert?

Old
10-24-2011, 03:20 PM
wahsnairb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshymkiw View Post
They should take him, and then trade and draft his buddy Galyenchuk. Awesome line there.
with galyenchuk getting this injury it makes it a lot more of a possibility than had they both been fer sher top 5

Old
10-24-2011, 03:26 PM
kshymkiw

Quote:
with galyenchuk getting this injury it makes it a lot more of a possibility than had they both been fer sher top 5
Very true. We have seen how the ACL tear has been to Malkin. Yakupov and Ebert!

Old
10-24-2011, 03:43 PM
Nikita Filatov

Grigorenko has a very good chance to go #1 as well. I just hope we don't stick ourselves for an another ~8th overall.

Old
10-24-2011, 03:45 PM
kshymkiw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita Filatov View Post
Grigorenko has a very good chance to go #1 as well. I just hope we don't stick ourselves for an another ~8th overall.
No he doesn't. He won't go in the first round due to the fact he has been paying in Russia and isn't already in North America.

He should easily be a top 5, but the lack of transfer agreement from Russia to North America will cause him to go MUCH later than he should.

Old
10-24-2011, 03:53 PM
Sideline

Quote:
No he doesn't. He won't go in the first round due to the fact he has been paying in Russia and isn't already in North America.

He should easily be a top 5, but the lack of transfer agreement from Russia to North America will cause him to go MUCH later than he should.
He plays in the QMJHL...

Old
10-24-2011, 03:58 PM
kshymkiw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideline View Post
He plays in the QMJHL...
Ha, didn't know he came to the QMJHL.

I would like to see how he adjusts to the smaller ice.

Old
10-24-2011, 03:58 PM
CBJ Bob
It Smells Bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikita Filatov View Post
I just hope we don't stick ourselves for an another ~8th overall.
I hope that doen't happen. It's time the Jackets Man-Up and really, REALLY suck. Go for it boys!

Old
10-24-2011, 04:06 PM
BluejacketNut

We dont win draft lotteries, so theres no reason to even entertain the thought

Old
10-24-2011, 04:35 PM
JacketsFanWest

In Sweden, coming into this draft year there was a lot of talk about Filip Forsberg. But the big hype now is for the latest Djurgården prospect (they produced Zibanejad last year) - Pontus Åberg. He's practically leading his SEL team in scoring as an 18 year old.

Åberg plays a similar game as Zibanejad, but has better hands, shot and scoring touch.

Old
10-24-2011, 04:51 PM
brianhatesu

Send a message via AIM to brianhatesu
Quote:

WE CAN"T LOSE!!!!

Old
10-24-2011, 05:23 PM
CapnCornelius

For once, if we're going to suck, I'd like to see us suck badly enough to get a piece that will help going forward.

If this team somehow loses the next 4 games, it is time to commit to a change, and Yakupov should be a part of that change. I dont' want to hear conspiracy theories about Winnipeg--I was supposed to believe that Bettman hated Canada and certainly would never let a small market like Winnipeg get a team in the first place, and now I'm supposed to believe he's going to fix the draft in their favor? Not likely.

As for all our "bad luck," its not like this team has ever committed to a rebuild where they would qualify for a #1 or #2 pick. A sub-par season gets you a lottery pick just outside of that blue chip at #1 or #2. To get a pick like Yakupov, you have to live with the fact that your season is going nowhere and fans are not going to be happy in the short term. But, guess what? Fans aren't going to be happy with this season's result no matter what. As I've constantly argued, is it better to once again go on a Quixotic run to miss the playoffs...and a pick like Yakupov? Or is it better to do the hard work of really analyzing this team's many deficiencies between now and the end of the season to determine the proper path to rectify our problems moving forward while also putting the team firmly in the lead to get a talent like Yakupov?

You want to get Yakupov, again, if at the 11 game mark we still have zero wins the rest of the year is spent getting rid of people that do not fit and acquiring additional picks/prospects for veteran deadweight while clearing some cap space. That is the smart thing to do even if it isn't going to be fun to watch.

Old
10-24-2011, 05:33 PM
plong123
Litebrite Stinger

The smart thing would be to win some frakking games so the season ticket holders don't strike en masse. To think I am still paying off my tickets for this season while a team of professionals tanks is unconscionable. If this team "gives up" on the year, publicly, in any way, I will never watch another CBJ game.

Old
10-24-2011, 05:35 PM
Feicht

Send a message via AIM to Feicht
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnCornelius View Post
For once, if we're going to suck, I'd like to see us suck badly enough to get a piece that will help going forward.

If this team somehow loses the next 4 games, it is time to commit to a change, and Yakupov should be a part of that change. I dont' want to hear conspiracy theories about Winnipeg--I was supposed to believe that Bettman hated Canada and certainly would never let a small market like Winnipeg get a team in the first place, and now I'm supposed to believe he's going to fix the draft in their favor? Not likely.

As for all our "bad luck," its not like this team has ever committed to a rebuild where they would qualify for a #1 or #2 pick. A sub-par season gets you a lottery pick just outside of that blue chip at #1 or #2. To get a pick like Yakupov, you have to live with the fact that your season is going nowhere and fans are not going to be happy in the short term. But, guess what? Fans aren't going to be happy with this season's result no matter what. As I've constantly argued, is it better to once again go on a Quixotic run to miss the playoffs...and a pick like Yakupov? Or is it better to do the hard work of really analyzing this team's many deficiencies between now and the end of the season to determine the proper path to rectify our problems moving forward while also putting the team firmly in the lead to get a talent like Yakupov?

You want to get Yakupov, again, if at the 11 game mark we still have zero wins the rest of the year is spent getting rid of people that do not fit and acquiring additional picks/prospects for veteran deadweight while clearing some cap space. That is the smart thing to do even if it isn't going to be fun to watch.

I could not agree more. It blows my mind every single season when this team goes on a winning streak in like March and everyone says "this is the best thing for the team... end the season on a winning note!", completely ignoring the fact that this always happens, and is one of the biggest reasons the Jackets have been stuck in mediocrity for 10 years. If they're not going to have a winning season, I would much rather them be the worst team in the league. Edmonton went from cup finals to absolute ****, but in a few years they will have to bounce back with all the young talent they have been collecting. You can never really say this about the Jackets. They have basically never been "bad enough", but have never been "good" either.

EDIT: Not to mention, this team's scouting has apparently always been terrible, so unless a prospect is "can't miss"... i.e. #1 or 2... chances are we'll end up picking the wrong guy

Old
10-24-2011, 06:37 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydawg View Post
The gap isn't as far as some people think it is ... this is a pretty deep draft, and Yakupov only projects to be a little better than Taylor Hall. There are a few guys that could stand up and challenge for that spot; it's a long season. That being said, as of right now, Nail Yakupov is surely the #1 prospect.

Quote:
And to those who say Murray, why him over Ebert?
I'm a fan of both, but I prefer Murray because I think he'll be an elite/franchise type of defenseman in the NHL. I've compared him to Drew Doughty with less offense/more defensive upside, and I'll stand by that comparison. I've picked Murray apart for over two seasons in the WHL, and I cannot find a single weakness in his game. He has the size, skating, passing, shot, vision, and leadership qualities that everyone looks for in a top prospect. By the time he's drafted, he will have played in over 200 WHL games and served as his team's captain for two full seasons. This guy would step in next year and make our team substantially better.

Nick Ebert certainly isn't a bad prospect; but I think he's a bit more of a project than Murray, and I don't think his upside is nearly as high. It's close, but I don't see Ebert passing Murray on my list - not by far.

The comparisons between Alex Galchenyuk and Evgeni Malkin will just keep rolling ... they are similar players, both have now had similar injuries ... whoever lands Galchenyuk with a likely mid first round pick is going to probably come away with the second best offensive player in the draft.

As for this thread, I truly hope we finish 28th or 29th in the league ... while I'm not against drafting Nail Yakupov, I'd love for us to finally land that big franchise defenseman, Ryan Murray. At this point though, there are still 72 games left, and I think our team is too talented to continue this descent into the abyss. Go Jackets - we'll see how things shake out.

Old
10-24-2011, 06:58 PM
cbj21

aha were going for #1 pick, that explains it all

Closed Thread