HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Akim Aliu-is he done/officially a bust?

Old
10-24-2011, 01:30 PM
wings5

vCash: 500
Akim Aliu-is he done/officially a bust?

Looked real good coming out of junior ans was thought to be a steal in the second round after being considered first-round talent.After coming over as part of the what may go down as the best deal ever in Atl(now WPG) Aliu can now be considered a a spare piece. Personally i watched him in junior and thought (when motivated) he had great ability to dominate, he is a big body who can move well but it seems like he's hit a wall, dropping from the ahl to the echl now back to the ahl. Can he officially be written off now and considered a bust?

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:56 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

He's a bust.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:57 PM
Teemu

No question about it. Can't even hold down a job in the AHL anymore.

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 02:01 PM
massivegoonery

Flat out bust. He was a late-starter project that needed more development but regressed instead.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 02:11 PM
ponder

Yeah, seems pretty doubtful he'll ever make the NHL at this point.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 02:25 PM
jfb392

He was removed from the Chicago Wolves last year and assigned to Gwinnett of the ECHL because of rumored discipline issues.
He was then loaned to St. Louis' affiliate, the Peoria Rivermen.
He had a nice stint with them but was then left at home at the beginning of the playoffs for disciplinary reasons.

I think it's safe to say that he's a bust, as he is seemingly incapable of staying out of trouble and he hasn't really progressed.
He probably won't be qualified by Winnipeg at the end of the season and will likely end up as a minor league troublemaker or a stupid team like Vityaz Chekov will go after him.
It just seems like a perfect fit.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 02:30 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Looked real good coming out of junior ans was thought to be a steal in the second round after being considered first-round talent.After coming over as part of the what may go down as the best deal ever in Atl(now WPG) Aliu can now be considered a a spare piece. Personally i watched him in junior and thought (when motivated) he had great ability to dominate, he is a big body who can move well but it seems like he's hit a wall, dropping from the ahl to the echl now back to the ahl. Can he officially be written off now and considered a bust?
There were tons of question marks about this kid dating back to his 16 year old year when Downie beat this **** out of him in practice (Downie was 20 at the time). Aliu ended up being the one getting shipped out of that mess, and I am guessing the full story was never released (no doubt both parties were in the wrong there, but it really cemented my hate for Downie and mistrust of Aliu).

He is now done, could never get his head on straight. He is in ECHL, did not report for a while this season, has now but will be out of NA after this season, IMO, not even an AHLer.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 02:31 PM
bruinsfan46

Anybody that follows the OHL at all could tell you he was never gonna make it, he's everything you don't want a teammate to be. To think I can remember back to some foolish Blackhawks fans tooting him as a steal because of his okay season in London right after getting drafted, I tried warning them about the truth.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 03:57 PM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

That guy must have a serious chip on his shoulder. He throws away millions because he can't do what he's told.

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 04:11 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

He's back in the ECHL.

I think the guy could make it to the NHL as a grinder/pest/agitator, but he'll never be a scorer.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 04:18 PM
Rheged
JMFT

vCash: 50
He seemed (stats-wise) to do decently when he was with Peoria last year, but didn't make the IceCaps roster and only just began playing this ECHL season last weekend, not sure if he was hurt or what.

As was mentioned above I doubt he'll be qualified by the Jets, I wouldn't expect him to have to much of a North American pro hockey career at this point.

Rheged is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 04:23 PM
Blue Dot
F0rsbergFan21

very sad to say this as a big fan of his, but, bust.

a player like Dan Cleary gives me hope that if Aliu busted his butt an worked hard he could make it to the NHL, but as stated above, it would likely be in a 4th line role or perhaps a fill in 3rd liner.

he'll never hit some of the wild projections that were said about him.

Blue Dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 04:25 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
There were tons of question marks about this kid dating back to his 16 year old year when Downie beat this **** out of him in practice (Downie was 20 at the time). Aliu ended up being the one getting shipped out of that mess, and I am guessing the full story was never released (no doubt both parties were in the wrong there, but it really cemented my hate for Downie and mistrust of Aliu).
Your memory is a little funny. The Downie-Aliu fight is on youtube, but Downie does not "beat the **** out of him" (embarrassingly enough given the age differences) if anything Aliu did better.

The full story was released, and although Aliu is clearly no saint, it looked a lot worse on Downie. The story goes Aliu refused the hazing of standing in a tiny bus bathroom naked with a bunch of teammates. Later on in practise Downie disgustingly cross checked Aliu in the face knocking out 3 teeth. That is why Aliu started the fight with him in practise.

Aliu was suspended 1 game. Downie was suspended 5 games and told to undergo professional counselling, as well as shipped out within 10 games.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 04:26 PM
stingo

Bust.

stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 04:41 PM
Eytinge

Him Tavares and Gagner used to rip up the GTHL as a line. I thought it would be sweet to see all three of them make it to the NHL, but clearly he hasn't made the proper attitude adjustments.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 04:42 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Aliu had to have the biggest chip on his shoulder than any player I've ever followed in junior hockey. I'm not surprised at all that his attitude has seemed to affect his pro career as well.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 04:47 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
Your memory is a little funny. The Downie-Aliu fight is on youtube, but Downie does not "beat the **** out of him" (embarrassingly enough given the age differences) if anything Aliu did better.

The full story was released, and although Aliu is clearly no saint, it looked a lot worse on Downie. The story goes Aliu refused the hazing of standing in a tiny bus bathroom naked with a bunch of teammates. Later on in practise Downie disgustingly cross checked Aliu in the face knocking out 3 teeth. That is why Aliu started the fight with him in practise.

Aliu was suspended 1 game. Downie was suspended 5 games and told to undergo professional counselling, as well as shipped out within 10 games.
It was a little hazy. I thought for sure it was Aliu that got dealt, oh well. Glad to see, I knew it was very bad on Downie, I hate that ****er. I guess I assumed Downie won the fight due to the age difference, good on him. Trust me I was not trying to make Downie look better than he is.

I had heard that having was involved, I never had heard exactly what went on. Thanks for the info.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 04:50 PM
bruinsfan46

Quote:

Aliu was also shipped out after 18 games because the whole team hated him because of his incredibly terrible attitude. I know the media sold Downie as the perp and Aliu as the victim when in reality if it was anybody but Akim Aliu I bet you Downie wouldn't have cross checked him in the face for refusing the hazing, but when the veterans all already hate you and you refuse hazing it's not gonna go well for you. Drafting Akim Aliu was the worst mistake Moe Mantha ever made in hockey, cost him his job because of the fallout of the hazing thing and his team their best player.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 04:52 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
It was a little hazy. I thought for sure it was Aliu that got dealt, oh well. Glad to see, I knew it was very bad on Downie, I hate that ****er. I guess I assumed Downie won the fight due to the age difference, good on him. Trust me I was not trying to make Downie look better than he is.

I had heard that having was involved, I never had heard exactly what went on. Thanks for the info.
Oh you weren't wrong at all, sorry should have clarified, they both got shipped out for being dicks. They're both complete knobs, Downie is just my most hated player in the league for so many reasons, that being the biggest one.

You're right though, they're perfect for each other.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 05:28 PM
Clown Baby

Quote:

Cool. You read TSN, too.

Incident numero uno started with Aliu refusing hazing carried out by Downie and a few veterans, with Mantha and some others of the coaching staff on (the bus).

The second incident came when Downie chirped at Aliu for dragging ass during a practice, which Aliu responded to with choice words. Downie responded in his own way, and it wasn't long after that the fight happened.

News of the hazing incident broke due largely in part to the fight, and that's when Branch grew a pair and went after those involved. Until that point, everything was just fine... as long as it never made headlines.

Mantha was eventually suspended by the OHL. Downie refused to report to the Spits, demanded a trade, and when they refused he tested their resolve by threatening a transfer to the CHL (Central Hockey League.) He also personally contacted Aliu, and offered a formal apology, which Aliu in kind accepted before eventually requesting a trade of his own.

Downie goes on to win an OHL championship, two World Junior Championship gold medals, and represent Canada at the World Championships.

Last edited by Majik1987: 10-24-2011 at 05:38 PM. Reason: copyright
Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote