Sorry man. Not to be a ******* but pretty much from top to bottom I think this post makes you look clueless about hockey/the Oilers.
Originally Posted by Teddy Pain
Hey guys just wondering...
1) Does Sam have to clear waivers?
2) If he doesn't, maybe it's for the best? Why you ask?
- The Oilers have moved towards a more compartmentalized lineup. Renney now has a set of PK'ers, PP'ers, time killers, etc. Everyone (save for Omark) seems to have an identity on the roster. Gagner fills none of these roles.
- I was at a couple of the Oilers games and you can really tell that Ryan Jones really adds to the veteran line. He's awesome on the cycle, is defensively aware and he really compliments Smytty's style. His presence really helps keep the puck in the opposing team's end. He's also a great PK'er. I think when Hemmer comes back, I would not put him on this line. Rather, I would put Hemmer with Paajarvi and keep Jones there.
[B]Hemsky has had chemistry with Smyth and Horcoff already. With the kid line doing so well I expect they will at least try Hemsky with them for awhile. Jones can be effective on any line 1st thru 4th. Hemsky is a game breaker and will not be on the third line or lower for any amount of time.
- Gags playing 4th line minutes is not going to help him get the swagger that he had on his first year back. Gags doesn't lack skill. I truly believe that he's one of the most purely skilled players on the Oilers. Yeah, he's not fast but many players have demonstrated that confidence and hockey IQ can overcome that. Sam, when confident, is an extremely smart player and passer. At the Rangers game, he turned the puck over many times because he was either rushing a play and not being patient with the puck or getting knocked onto his knees.
No idea what game you were watching. Gagner was very effective defensivley and played a solid game.
- Gagner getting first line minutes as the undisputed #1 player on a team like OKC should help kickstart his recovery. You can see with players like Sam Gagner & Evander Kane, that all they really need to find themselves again. They were buried on bad teams for a couple years and since their teams were struggling were forced to take on a multitude of roles. What's resulted is the development of a player who doesn't know what they are anymore.
This would of been a great idea 4 years ago. I don't think after 5 years in the NHL going back down to AHL is going to help at all.
- How do I define Sam Gagner and what do I think is his identity? I think he's a 2nd line play-making centerman that has 2-way ability and is abl to provide 55-60points per year. I envision a Stephen Weiss, David Booth (pre-injury) or Danny Briere (top-end)
This is a lil higher than I think of Sam.
Right now, Sam is a marshmallowy-soft, timid, borderline NHL'er with no sense of direction. He treats pucks like bombs and gets rid of them without actually making a play. Some may hate on Omark, but at least Omie knows what he is -- an offensive top-6 player. He may not be successful yet, but at least plays to his identity -- Sam has none.
Right now Sam is at least twice the player Omark and is younger. You completly contradict your last statement with this one.
So how about it? Can we send Sam to OKC please? When Hemmer comes back, our lines should look like so:
While is disagree with your hockey sense in general you do open up the question 'where does Sam fit"?
I think you will see:
Hall - RNH - Eberle
Smyth - Horcoff - Hemsky
Paajarvi - Belanger - Sam
Eager - Lander - Jones
Which kind of sucks cause Jones deserves better and Petrell has played very well for his fourth line roll and minutes.
Probably the only negative thing I have to say about Renney so far this season is I would him to play the fourth line more. Alot of Talent on that fourth line with Eager and Lander. If Jones goes down there as well... I dont know how you cant play that line at least 7 min a game.
Last edited by Aerchon: 10-24-2011 at 10:46 AM.
the only logical answer ehre is to send gags and eberle down to OKC and see which one plays themselves back onto the team, their ice can be split between petrell the machine and omark the beastman, its whats best for the team.
Then the next step is Christi Pronger demanding to be traded back to Edmonton.....Gagner has no business in OK city.
Actually I would find that hilarious if he actually did request a trade back. I would probably send him a burnt baby crib and card and in the card say "You burnt our baby crib years ago. Have fun rotting in Philly"
I wish we could demote some posters to an official "developmental" board. Reading some of the replies, they might need to go there anyways to regain their posting confidence.
I think sending the OP down to the minors for a bit would be best for all involved. He has potential but he just doesn't know who he is right now. Omark on the other hand, would have a tough time making quality posts on here because of the language barrier but we would keep him up because he knows who he is.