HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We are very lucky to have Cappy

Old
10-24-2011, 01:04 PM
ilovemarkmessier

vCash: 500
We are very lucky to have Cappy

As alot of you know the Rangers are my primary team however I do follow the Islanders very closely as well. The Rangers are stuck with Torts and will not change. However Mr. Snow was smart enough to shake it up get rid of Gorden and bring in Cappy. He took a risk and it really worked out. I think if the Islanders do make the playoffs Cappy needs consideration as coach of the year. The turnaround has been amazing since he took over. I wish the Rangers would take the chance on a guy like Cappy. I do not think you realize as Islanders fans what a find this guy was and what hes accomplished in a short period of time.

Last edited by ilovemarkmessier: 10-24-2011 at 01:14 PM.
ilovemarkmessier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:15 PM
rollin109

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemarkmessier View Post
As alot of you know the Rangers are my primary team however I do follow the Islanders very closely as well. The Rangers are stuck with Torts and will not change. However Mr. Snow was smart enough to shake it up get rid of Gorden and bring in Cappy. He took a risk and it really worked out. I think if the Islanders do make the playoffs cappy needs consideration as coach of the year. The turnaround has been amazing since he took over. I wish the Rangers would take the chance on a guy like Cappy. I do not think you realize as Islanders fans what a find this guy was and what hes accomplished in a short period of time.
You're right..... I for one don't realize it!

Last edited by rollin109: 10-24-2011 at 01:20 PM.
rollin109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:26 PM
ilovemarkmessier

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurthe1 View Post
So quickly we forget what this team was before the coaching change.

Old
10-24-2011, 01:28 PM
rollin109

Quote:
I remember all too well. Very similar to what this team has looked like in 4 out of the first 6 games this year as a matter of fact.

Old
10-24-2011, 01:33 PM
ilovemarkmessier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollin109 View Post
I remember all too well. Very similar to what this team has looked like in 4 out of the first 6 games this year as a matter of fact.

If you look at what we were the second half of the season and into this year. You would realize we are a playoff team under Cappy.

Old
10-24-2011, 01:34 PM
rollin109

Quote:
If you look at what we were the second half of the season and into this year. You would realize we are a playoff team under Cappy.
ok, I would love nothing more than for you to be right. I guess we will find out soon enough.

Old
10-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
This team needs to stop hiring AHL coaches and shop around for a solid veteran coach who is proven to win.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:44 PM
ilovemarkmessier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
This team needs to stop hiring AHL coaches and shop around for a solid veteran coach who is proven to win.

Really? Really? Anyone out there veteran or not would have a hard time doing better then Cappy has done.

Old
10-24-2011, 01:55 PM
StrongIslanders90

Yeahh hes so accomplished in under a year its amazing....Last year we went on a 20 game winless streak, then Cappy comes in and we make the playoffs!!!! And now this year we are undefeated.....

I actually like cappy, but lets give him a full year before we hand him COTY

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 02:29 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
I follow both New York hockey teams. I am not saying hes a hall of fame coach but am saying we could have done alot worse> and I do not think he needs to be replaced that is ridiculous.
I was just joking about you being a Rags fan and Islanders fan.....Thats like me being a Yankees and Red Sox fan or a Giants and a Cowboys fan.....

The thing I love about Captain Jack is he lets the boys play thier game and do what they do best.....Only problem is we need a few more better players......JT and Striet are our
only Elite players.....

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 02:36 PM
JPIsles21

Quote:
Not saying Cappy is/was the right choice. But why? The NHL has become a league that instead of dipping into the veteran pool has chosen to go with young up and comers.

Since the lockout the 6 coaches to win the cup are as follows:

2006 - Peter Laviolette: hired by the Isles as a top prospect coach; won the Cup in his 4th year year as head coach with the Canes

2007 - Randy Carlyle: hired by Ducks out of AHL and won a cup in his 2nd season as coach

2008 - Mike Babcock: hired out of the AHL by the Ducks and lost in the cup finals, lasted another year with the ducks before jumping ship to the Wings. Won a cup in his 5th season as head coach.

2009 - Dan Bylsma: Hired mid-season by the Pens as a promotion from the AHL. Won a cup that very same year.

2010 - Joel Queneville: The only veteran on this list. Won a cup with the Hawks in his 13th season. Had previously made the playoffs 10/12 seasons before finally winning a cup.

2011 - Claude Julien: Hired out of the AHL by the Canadiens. Failed to make the playoffs in all 3 seasons. Lasted less than a year in NJ. Hired by the Bruins as a coach that hadn't accomplished anything in the NHL, and finally made the playoffs and won the cup in his 8th season as coach.

Only Joel Quenneville was a successful veteran coach of all the cup-winning coaches since the lockout. The others were either all up-and-comers or largely unproven when hired. Being a veteran coach has not translated into success. The best way to evaluate a coach is not how many years he's been in the league, but how much he can get out of his team. If Cappy can get the job done, and I'm not saying he can as of yet, then I have no problems with hiring a coach out of the AHL/CHL.

Quite frankly, most of the time it's the players that decide how successful a coach will be.

JPIsles21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 02:38 PM
ilovemarkmessier

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
I was just joking about you being a Rags fan and Islanders fan.....Thats like me being a Yankees and Red Sox fan or a Giants and a Cowboys fan.....

The thing I love about Captain Jack is he lets the boys play thier game and do what they do best.....Only problem is we need a few more better players......JT and Striet are our
only Elite players.....

Nino is a elite talent. Lets see if it translates to the NHL game. Also Harmonics not looking too shabby and Grabner showed alot of potential last year.

Old
10-24-2011, 03:39 PM
IslesNYer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPIsles21 View Post
Not saying Cappy is/was the right choice. But why? The NHL has become a league that instead of dipping into the veteran pool has chosen to go with young up and comers.

Since the lockout the 6 coaches to win the cup are as follows:

2006 - Peter Laviolette: hired by the Isles as a top prospect coach; won the Cup in his 4th year year as head coach with the Canes

2007 - Randy Carlyle: hired by Ducks out of AHL and won a cup in his 2nd season as coach

2008 - Mike Babcock: hired out of the AHL by the Ducks and lost in the cup finals, lasted another year with the ducks before jumping ship to the Wings. Won a cup in his 5th season as head coach.

2009 - Dan Bylsma: Hired mid-season by the Pens as a promotion from the AHL. Won a cup that very same year.

2010 - Joel Queneville: The only veteran on this list. Won a cup with the Hawks in his 13th season. Had previously made the playoffs 10/12 seasons before finally winning a cup.

2011 - Claude Julien: Hired out of the AHL by the Canadiens. Failed to make the playoffs in all 3 seasons. Lasted less than a year in NJ. Hired by the Bruins as a coach that hadn't accomplished anything in the NHL, and finally made the playoffs and won the cup in his 8th season as coach.

Only Joel Quenneville was a successful veteran coach of all the cup-winning coaches since the lockout. The others were either all up-and-comers or largely unproven when hired. Being a veteran coach has not translated into success. The best way to evaluate a coach is not how many years he's been in the league, but how much he can get out of his team. If Cappy can get the job done, and I'm not saying he can as of yet, then I have no problems with hiring a coach out of the AHL/CHL.

Quite frankly, most of the time it's the players that decide how successful a coach will be.
Well said JPIsles.

IslesNYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 03:56 PM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
You mean AHL coaches like Dan Bylsma or Bruce Beaudreau?

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 04:07 PM
Strome18

Quote:
I was shaking my head at this poster, not the thread. I think Cappy is great for this team.

Last edited by Strome18: 10-24-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Strome18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 04:18 PM
Hipietro

Quote:
I follow both New York hockey teams. I am not saying hes a hall of fame coach but am saying we could have done alot worse> and I do not think he needs to be replaced that is ridiculous.
What confuses me is that you are a Ranger fan but you say "We" are very lucky to have Cappy.

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 04:39 PM
ilovemarkmessier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipietro View Post
What confuses me is that you are a Ranger fan but you say "We" are very lucky to have Cappy.

I am a New york hockey fan. Not enough hockey luckily we have two great franchises here in New York to follow. Its so much more fun when we have two good young teams like right now. Great time to be a New York hockey fan.

Old
10-24-2011, 05:38 PM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
I don't think Flintstone's gonna make it through the rest of the year as coach. Not unless some players get hot and he rides that wave like last year.

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 06:01 PM
ilovemarkmessier

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
I don't think Flintstone's gonna make it through the rest of the year as coach. Not unless some players get hot and he rides that wave like last year.
If the Islanders make the playoffs he will be a coach of the year finalist.

Old
10-24-2011, 06:30 PM
Islanders1932

Scott Gordon was unfairly blamed for his team. He is in Toronto now as an assistant coach and they seem to be doing much better....so who really knows if this was the right decision.

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 06:41 PM
stranger34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
Scott Gordon was unfairly blamed for his team. He is in Toronto now as an assistant coach and they seem to be doing much better....so who really knows if this was the right decision.
gordon as an offensive strategy guy is fine.

as a head coach he seems like someone if I had to play under him I'd try to lose on purpose

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 06:41 PM
LAIslanderFan

If we left coaching changes up to this board, we'd be on our 3rd or 4th coach...this year!!!

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 07:46 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
As alot of you know the Rangers are my primary team however I do follow the Islanders very closely as well. The Rangers are stuck with Torts and will not change. However Mr. Snow was smart enough to shake it up get rid of Gorden and bring in Cappy. He took a risk and it really worked out. I think if the Islanders do make the playoffs Cappy needs consideration as coach of the year. The turnaround has been amazing since he took over. I wish the Rangers would take the chance on a guy like Cappy. I do not think you realize as Islanders fans what a find this guy was and what hes accomplished in a short period of time.
Have you watched the Isles this year? They are .500, but they look like a team completely and utterly lost. I was excited for Capuano, but at this point I'm not sure who the hell is to blame. This organization can't seem to win on a consistent basis, and there's more to it than just coaches/players at this point. It has to be philosophical because a team that loses this much and for this long doesn't deserve to operate professionally.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 07:48 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
Kind of amazing, no? We see the team sliding backwards in the fall, again, under a coach the players seemed to really like and do well under in the end of the previous season. Kinda hard to blame this on Capuano isn't it this time?

The talent gap between us and other clubs is pretty loud right now.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 07:50 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Kind of amazing, no? We see the team sliding backwards in the fall, again, under a coach the players seemed to really like and do well under in the end of the previous season. Kinda hard to blame this on Capuano isn't it this time?

The talent gap between us and other clubs is pretty loud right now.
I guess your last statement hits the nail on the head. Outside of Tavares and Streit, we are a bunch of unproven players with "potential".

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote