HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We are very lucky to have Cappy

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-24-2011, 01:04 PM
  #1
ilovemarkmessier
Registered User
 
ilovemarkmessier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 149
vCash: 500
We are very lucky to have Cappy

As alot of you know the Rangers are my primary team however I do follow the Islanders very closely as well. The Rangers are stuck with Torts and will not change. However Mr. Snow was smart enough to shake it up get rid of Gorden and bring in Cappy. He took a risk and it really worked out. I think if the Islanders do make the playoffs Cappy needs consideration as coach of the year. The turnaround has been amazing since he took over. I wish the Rangers would take the chance on a guy like Cappy. I do not think you realize as Islanders fans what a find this guy was and what hes accomplished in a short period of time.


Last edited by ilovemarkmessier: 10-24-2011 at 01:14 PM.
ilovemarkmessier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:15 PM
  #2
rollin109
Registered User
 
rollin109's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemarkmessier View Post
As alot of you know the Rangers are my primary team however I do follow the Islanders very closely as well. The Rangers are stuck with Torts and will not change. However Mr. Snow was smart enough to shake it up get rid of Gorden and bring in Cappy. He took a risk and it really worked out. I think if the Islanders do make the playoffs cappy needs consideration as coach of the year. The turnaround has been amazing since he took over. I wish the Rangers would take the chance on a guy like Cappy. I do not think you realize as Islanders fans what a find this guy was and what hes accomplished in a short period of time.
You're right..... I for one don't realize it!


Last edited by rollin109: 10-24-2011 at 01:20 PM.
rollin109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:26 PM
  #3
ilovemarkmessier
Registered User
 
ilovemarkmessier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurthe1 View Post
So quickly we forget what this team was before the coaching change.

ilovemarkmessier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:28 PM
  #4
rollin109
Registered User
 
rollin109's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemarkmessier View Post
So quickly we forget what this team was before the coaching change.
I remember all too well. Very similar to what this team has looked like in 4 out of the first 6 games this year as a matter of fact.

rollin109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:33 PM
  #5
ilovemarkmessier
Registered User
 
ilovemarkmessier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rollin109 View Post
I remember all too well. Very similar to what this team has looked like in 4 out of the first 6 games this year as a matter of fact.


If you look at what we were the second half of the season and into this year. You would realize we are a playoff team under Cappy.

ilovemarkmessier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:34 PM
  #6
rollin109
Registered User
 
rollin109's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemarkmessier View Post
If you look at what we were the second half of the season and into this year. You would realize we are a playoff team under Cappy.
ok, I would love nothing more than for you to be right. I guess we will find out soon enough.

rollin109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:43 PM
  #7
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!
 
Dutch Frost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 2,618
vCash: 1130
This team needs to stop hiring AHL coaches and shop around for a solid veteran coach who is proven to win.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:44 PM
  #8
ilovemarkmessier
Registered User
 
ilovemarkmessier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
This team needs to stop hiring AHL coaches and shop around for a solid veteran coach who is proven to win.

Really? Really? Anyone out there veteran or not would have a hard time doing better then Cappy has done.

ilovemarkmessier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 01:55 PM
  #9
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 13,734
vCash: 500
Yeahh hes so accomplished in under a year its amazing....Last year we went on a 20 game winless streak, then Cappy comes in and we make the playoffs!!!! And now this year we are undefeated.....



I actually like cappy, but lets give him a full year before we hand him COTY

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 02:29 PM
  #10
StrongIslanders90
Registered User
 
StrongIslanders90's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: StrongIsland
Country: United States
Posts: 13,734
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemarkmessier View Post
I follow both New York hockey teams. I am not saying hes a hall of fame coach but am saying we could have done alot worse> and I do not think he needs to be replaced that is ridiculous.
I was just joking about you being a Rags fan and Islanders fan.....Thats like me being a Yankees and Red Sox fan or a Giants and a Cowboys fan.....



The thing I love about Captain Jack is he lets the boys play thier game and do what they do best.....Only problem is we need a few more better players......JT and Striet are our
only Elite players.....

StrongIslanders90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 02:36 PM
  #11
JPIsles21
Registered User
 
JPIsles21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
This team needs to stop hiring AHL coaches and shop around for a solid veteran coach who is proven to win.
Not saying Cappy is/was the right choice. But why? The NHL has become a league that instead of dipping into the veteran pool has chosen to go with young up and comers.

Since the lockout the 6 coaches to win the cup are as follows:

2006 - Peter Laviolette: hired by the Isles as a top prospect coach; won the Cup in his 4th year year as head coach with the Canes

2007 - Randy Carlyle: hired by Ducks out of AHL and won a cup in his 2nd season as coach

2008 - Mike Babcock: hired out of the AHL by the Ducks and lost in the cup finals, lasted another year with the ducks before jumping ship to the Wings. Won a cup in his 5th season as head coach.

2009 - Dan Bylsma: Hired mid-season by the Pens as a promotion from the AHL. Won a cup that very same year.

2010 - Joel Queneville: The only veteran on this list. Won a cup with the Hawks in his 13th season. Had previously made the playoffs 10/12 seasons before finally winning a cup.

2011 - Claude Julien: Hired out of the AHL by the Canadiens. Failed to make the playoffs in all 3 seasons. Lasted less than a year in NJ. Hired by the Bruins as a coach that hadn't accomplished anything in the NHL, and finally made the playoffs and won the cup in his 8th season as coach.

Only Joel Quenneville was a successful veteran coach of all the cup-winning coaches since the lockout. The others were either all up-and-comers or largely unproven when hired. Being a veteran coach has not translated into success. The best way to evaluate a coach is not how many years he's been in the league, but how much he can get out of his team. If Cappy can get the job done, and I'm not saying he can as of yet, then I have no problems with hiring a coach out of the AHL/CHL.

Quite frankly, most of the time it's the players that decide how successful a coach will be.

JPIsles21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 02:38 PM
  #12
ilovemarkmessier
Registered User
 
ilovemarkmessier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
I was just joking about you being a Rags fan and Islanders fan.....Thats like me being a Yankees and Red Sox fan or a Giants and a Cowboys fan.....



The thing I love about Captain Jack is he lets the boys play thier game and do what they do best.....Only problem is we need a few more better players......JT and Striet are our
only Elite players.....



Nino is a elite talent. Lets see if it translates to the NHL game. Also Harmonics not looking too shabby and Grabner showed alot of potential last year.

ilovemarkmessier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 03:39 PM
  #13
IslesNYer
Registered User
 
IslesNYer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 235
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPIsles21 View Post
Not saying Cappy is/was the right choice. But why? The NHL has become a league that instead of dipping into the veteran pool has chosen to go with young up and comers.

Since the lockout the 6 coaches to win the cup are as follows:

2006 - Peter Laviolette: hired by the Isles as a top prospect coach; won the Cup in his 4th year year as head coach with the Canes

2007 - Randy Carlyle: hired by Ducks out of AHL and won a cup in his 2nd season as coach

2008 - Mike Babcock: hired out of the AHL by the Ducks and lost in the cup finals, lasted another year with the ducks before jumping ship to the Wings. Won a cup in his 5th season as head coach.

2009 - Dan Bylsma: Hired mid-season by the Pens as a promotion from the AHL. Won a cup that very same year.

2010 - Joel Queneville: The only veteran on this list. Won a cup with the Hawks in his 13th season. Had previously made the playoffs 10/12 seasons before finally winning a cup.

2011 - Claude Julien: Hired out of the AHL by the Canadiens. Failed to make the playoffs in all 3 seasons. Lasted less than a year in NJ. Hired by the Bruins as a coach that hadn't accomplished anything in the NHL, and finally made the playoffs and won the cup in his 8th season as coach.

Only Joel Quenneville was a successful veteran coach of all the cup-winning coaches since the lockout. The others were either all up-and-comers or largely unproven when hired. Being a veteran coach has not translated into success. The best way to evaluate a coach is not how many years he's been in the league, but how much he can get out of his team. If Cappy can get the job done, and I'm not saying he can as of yet, then I have no problems with hiring a coach out of the AHL/CHL.

Quite frankly, most of the time it's the players that decide how successful a coach will be.
Well said JPIsles.

IslesNYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 03:56 PM
  #14
LAIslanderFan
Registered User
 
LAIslanderFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,749
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
This team needs to stop hiring AHL coaches and shop around for a solid veteran coach who is proven to win.
You mean AHL coaches like Dan Bylsma or Bruce Beaudreau?

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 04:07 PM
  #15
Strome18
Registered User
 
Strome18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 2,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemarkmessier View Post
So quickly we forget what this team was before the coaching change.
I was shaking my head at this poster, not the thread. I think Cappy is great for this team.


Last edited by Strome18: 10-24-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Strome18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 04:18 PM
  #16
Hipietro
Registered User
 
Hipietro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 4,432
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemarkmessier View Post
I follow both New York hockey teams. I am not saying hes a hall of fame coach but am saying we could have done alot worse> and I do not think he needs to be replaced that is ridiculous.
What confuses me is that you are a Ranger fan but you say "We" are very lucky to have Cappy.


Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 04:39 PM
  #17
ilovemarkmessier
Registered User
 
ilovemarkmessier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipietro View Post
What confuses me is that you are a Ranger fan but you say "We" are very lucky to have Cappy.

I am a New york hockey fan. Not enough hockey luckily we have two great franchises here in New York to follow. Its so much more fun when we have two good young teams like right now. Great time to be a New York hockey fan.

ilovemarkmessier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 05:38 PM
  #18
MikeyMike01*
Hurray
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 6,432
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
I don't think Flintstone's gonna make it through the rest of the year as coach. Not unless some players get hot and he rides that wave like last year.

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 06:01 PM
  #19
ilovemarkmessier
Registered User
 
ilovemarkmessier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
I don't think Flintstone's gonna make it through the rest of the year as coach. Not unless some players get hot and he rides that wave like last year.
If the Islanders make the playoffs he will be a coach of the year finalist.

ilovemarkmessier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 06:30 PM
  #20
Islanders1932
Registered User
 
Islanders1932's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 4,371
vCash: 500
Scott Gordon was unfairly blamed for his team. He is in Toronto now as an assistant coach and they seem to be doing much better....so who really knows if this was the right decision.

Islanders1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 06:41 PM
  #21
stranger34
Registered User
 
stranger34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Nassau County
Posts: 3,354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
Scott Gordon was unfairly blamed for his team. He is in Toronto now as an assistant coach and they seem to be doing much better....so who really knows if this was the right decision.
gordon as an offensive strategy guy is fine.

as a head coach he seems like someone if I had to play under him I'd try to lose on purpose

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 06:41 PM
  #22
LAIslanderFan
Registered User
 
LAIslanderFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,749
vCash: 500
If we left coaching changes up to this board, we'd be on our 3rd or 4th coach...this year!!!

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 07:46 PM
  #23
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemarkmessier View Post
As alot of you know the Rangers are my primary team however I do follow the Islanders very closely as well. The Rangers are stuck with Torts and will not change. However Mr. Snow was smart enough to shake it up get rid of Gorden and bring in Cappy. He took a risk and it really worked out. I think if the Islanders do make the playoffs Cappy needs consideration as coach of the year. The turnaround has been amazing since he took over. I wish the Rangers would take the chance on a guy like Cappy. I do not think you realize as Islanders fans what a find this guy was and what hes accomplished in a short period of time.
Have you watched the Isles this year? They are .500, but they look like a team completely and utterly lost. I was excited for Capuano, but at this point I'm not sure who the hell is to blame. This organization can't seem to win on a consistent basis, and there's more to it than just coaches/players at this point. It has to be philosophical because a team that loses this much and for this long doesn't deserve to operate professionally.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 07:48 PM
  #24
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!
 
A Pointed Stick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 6,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
Scott Gordon was unfairly blamed for his team. He is in Toronto now as an assistant coach and they seem to be doing much better....so who really knows if this was the right decision.
Kind of amazing, no? We see the team sliding backwards in the fall, again, under a coach the players seemed to really like and do well under in the end of the previous season. Kinda hard to blame this on Capuano isn't it this time?

The talent gap between us and other clubs is pretty loud right now.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 07:50 PM
  #25
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Kind of amazing, no? We see the team sliding backwards in the fall, again, under a coach the players seemed to really like and do well under in the end of the previous season. Kinda hard to blame this on Capuano isn't it this time?

The talent gap between us and other clubs is pretty loud right now.
I guess your last statement hits the nail on the head. Outside of Tavares and Streit, we are a bunch of unproven players with "potential".

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.