HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Sweden

Swedish Hockey pronunciation and spelling thread

Old
10-25-2011, 06:03 AM
drive45

vCash: 500
Swedish Hockey pronunciation and spelling thread

Is Lidström supposed to be spelled like that, with the umlaut over the 'o'? Do you call that diacritical mark an 'umlaut' in Swedish? Does that mean the 'o' is pronounced like the 'eu' in the French word 'aveugle'? Or how?

Is the 'st' supposed to be pronounced like the 'sht' in the English word 'ashtray'?

Why doesn't he have the umlaut on his NHL sweater/jersey? Do any NHL players have non-standard (Roman-script) markings on their jerseys?

drive45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 06:32 AM
joe89

I don't think we call it anything, 'Ö' is a letter on its own in Swedish aswell as 'Ä' and 'Å'. Pronounciation is about right though.

Easily put, Ö = eu. Å = au. Ä = ae.

The middle part is pronounced like your every day NHL commentator would pronounce it. 'Ström' is a separate word if you like, 'st' in it is pronounced the same way as the english word 'Stream'. A difference though is that 'lid' is actually pronounced 'leed' in Swedish.

You have to ask the NHL about the last part, he does on his National sweater.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 08:38 AM
Petey21

As for the Swedish diacritics on jerseys, they're usually on the nameplates used in Sweden (although I've seen a few cases where it says for example O instead of Ö), but as for the NHL they're not there and that's probably because they're not part of the English language. I don't think they even have the French diacritics (such as é, â or ç) on the NHL jerseys either, although at least one team comes from the French speaking part of Canada?

Petey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 03:55 PM
Lugaid
Hajlajtreelmål!

Send a message via Skype™ to Lugaid
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive45 View Post
Is Lidström supposed to be spelled like that, with the umlaut over the 'o'? Do you call that diacritical mark an 'umlaut' in Swedish? Does that mean the 'o' is pronounced like the 'eu' in the French word 'aveugle'? Or how?

Is the 'st' supposed to be pronounced like the 'sht' in the English word 'ashtray'?

Why doesn't he have the umlaut on his NHL sweater/jersey? Do any NHL players have non-standard (Roman-script) markings on their jerseys?
Å, Ä and Ö are all swedish letters, they're not really accent marks, but rather individual letters. In the word "Bird" (British English), you come very close to the Ö-sound, a swedish way of typing it out would be "Bööd". Same with "girl" in British English. In the example of Lidström, his is a kind of half-ö that sounds quite aggressive, I'm sure you can find some sports commentator pronounce his name if you youtube it.

As for his back, yeah, it's the same for all non-english names. Just think of the russians, Lidström gets off easy by being called Lidstrom, in comparison

Swedish culture is a lot about adapting to other cultures though, and thus, a lot of swedish players will refer to Lidström as "Lidstrom" when speaking about him to for example interviewers.

Lugaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 12:05 AM
drive45

Motörhead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugaid View Post
Å, Ä and Ö are all swedish letters, they're not really accent marks, but rather individual letters. In the word "Bird" (British English), you come very close to the Ö-sound, a swedish way of typing it out would be "Bööd". Same with "girl" in British English. In the example of Lidström, his is a kind of half-ö that sounds quite aggressive, I'm sure you can find some sports commentator pronounce his name if you youtube it.

As for his back, yeah, it's the same for all non-english names. Just think of the russians, Lidström gets off easy by being called Lidstrom, in comparison

Swedish culture is a lot about adapting to other cultures though, and thus, a lot of swedish players will refer to Lidström as "Lidstrom" when speaking about him to for example interviewers.
thanks for the detailed answer.

I think the Scandinavians and any other players that have funky-looking diacritics in their names should insist that they be on their sweaters/jerseys, because that makes them look like some kind of cool bad-ass Heavy Metal band!

Now that I've got my dander up, I think I'm going to post something on this topic on the main board.

drive45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 03:58 PM
Jonimaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive45 View Post
thanks for the detailed answer.

I think the Scandinavians and any other players that have funky-looking diacritics in their names should insist that they be on their sweaters/jerseys, because that makes them look like some kind of cool bad-ass Heavy Metal band!

Now that I've got my dander up, I think I'm going to post something on this topic on the main board.
If I remember right, people said something about Russians then wanting their names spelled with their letters, and that would be like "????" for the rest of us.

Jonimaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 04:31 PM
weklof

I found this audio clip on how Lidström is supposed to be pronounced:

http://www.forvo.com/search/lidstrom

weklof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 05:07 PM
cheerupmurray

Most swedish Nhl-players actaully used to play in Mötley crue before their hockey career. Lidström played base.

cheerupmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-27-2011, 08:59 PM
Jonsson

Send a message via MSN to Jonsson
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerupmurray View Post
Most swedish Nhl-players actaully used to play in Mötley crue before their hockey career. Lidström played base.
don´t forget....tomas sandström on drums!

Jonsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-06-2011, 04:47 PM
Petey21

It's actually Mötley Crüe.

Petey21 is offline   Reply With Quote