HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

We are very lucky to have Cappy

Old
10-24-2011, 07:58 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
I guess your last statement hits the nail on the head. Outside of Tavares and Streit, we are a bunch of unproven players with "potential".
Hey thanks. They also have needs, some so unmistakably obvious that the team itself pays lip service to them yet some of the folk here will swear on their great Grandaddy's soul that the Isles are just fine as is and this current tailspin is just a minor blip on the radar.

Because trading Bailey, Comeau, Okposo, a 1st rounder, or some combo therein for an immediate need would be the end of the world as we know it and put the Islanders into a playoff less funk for the next BILLION YEARS!

Because you know, they are that irreplaceable and our farm is that barren (yuk yuk.)

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 08:39 PM
cjdv16

Maybe it's just me, but I'm really confused with this thread.

It could be the quasi-Islander, quasi-Ranger fandom.

Me no geddit.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 10:11 PM
LAIslanderFan

San Jose is has 3 wins 3 loses. That's too good a lineup to be playing .500 hockey. They should fire the coach!!!

Montreal is 1 win 5 loses. They should fire the coach!!!

Boston has 3 wins and 5 loses. They should fire the coach!!!

Rangers 3 wins 3 loses. They should fire the coach!!!

How could a team with a roster like Vancouver have a record of 4 wins and 3 loses. That's barely better then the Islanders. They should fire the coach!!!

Wow, Dallas Stars are 6 wins 2 loses. They have to be your pick for the Cup in the West. They obviously have a great coach!

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 10:12 PM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
Scott Gordon was unfairly blamed for his team. He is in Toronto now as an assistant coach and they seem to be doing much better....so who really knows if this was the right decision.
Gordon was a scapegoat but anyone who expects different results with this line-up is fooling themselves. I like Capuano, he has grown on me, I love the way he deals with the players and how highly the players speak of him. I think the team worked really hard for Capuano LAST YEAR.

This year though, can't say the same.

Maybe it was "easier" to play last year when the games didn't matter?

Maybe it's different when the team is expected to win, or when the team knows it MUST win to make the playoffs?

Either way, I'm not sure we're LUCKY to have anyone. Until the team shows improvement, we're not lucky to have anyone.
Right now, the only player that looks like he's taken a major step forward this year is Tavares.

Streit looks solid, the goaltending looks good, everyone else looks awful with a poor effort to boot. The special teams look great, the effort is non-existent.

How much of that is the coach? who knows.

I don't think Capuano is a problem but I also don't think he's fantastic.

I think we underestimate what a reputable coach (and GM, and owner for that matter) means to an organization.
Let's face it, one of the MAIN reasons Brad Richards signed with the NYR was that he wanted to play for Tortorella. That was well-publicized before he signed. Gordon brought in Nate Thompson base on his AHL days. Mike Keenan brought Brian Noonan and Stephane Matteau to every team he coached. Having a coach or GM that can DRAW talent does mean something.

It's all related.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2011, 11:50 PM
Sammy2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemarkmessier View Post
Really? Really? Anyone out there veteran or not would have a hard time doing better then Cappy has done.
The team looks terrible. He has not proven a thing.

Sammy2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 03:58 AM
BMOK33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
This team needs to stop hiring AHL coaches and shop around for a solid veteran coach who is proven to win.
People will never realize that the NFL is the only major sport where a coach can truly be blamed for a team being crap. Baseball to an extent when a major bullpen move is made, but most games you cannot blame on the manager. Mike Milbury could have coached the Red Wings from 1995-2008 and they'd have won the same number of cups. Scotty Bowman could have coached the Isles from 1994-2011 and we'd still have the same number of playoff appearances.

BMOK33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 04:08 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOK33 View Post
People will never realize that the NFL is the only major sport where a coach can truly be blamed for a team being crap. Baseball to an extent when a major bullpen move is made, but most games you cannot blame on the manager. Mike Milbury could have coached the Red Wings from 1995-2008 and they'd have won the same number of cups. Scotty Bowman could have coached the Isles from 1994-2011 and we'd still have the same number of playoff appearances.
no...

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 06:21 AM
Sammy2010*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAIslanderFan View Post
San Jose is has 3 wins 3 loses. That's too good a lineup to be playing .500 hockey. They should fire the coach!!!

Montreal is 1 win 5 loses. They should fire the coach!!!

Boston has 3 wins and 5 loses. They should fire the coach!!!

Rangers 3 wins 3 loses. They should fire the coach!!!

How could a team with a roster like Vancouver have a record of 4 wins and 3 loses. That's barely better then the Islanders. They should fire the coach!!!

Wow, Dallas Stars are 6 wins 2 loses. They have to be your pick for the Cup in the West. They obviously have a great coach!
Looking for other failures says a lot about some of the Isles fans. There is also a difference between losing, and not even playing motivated.

Sammy2010* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 07:47 AM
Hipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2010 View Post
Looking for other failures says a lot about some of the Isles fans. There is also a difference between losing, and not even playing motivated.
Are you even an Islanders fan? I have never seen a post from you that does not bash the organization completely.

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 07:56 AM
Veteran journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanders1932 View Post
Scott Gordon was unfairly blamed for his team. He is in Toronto now as an assistant coach and they seem to be doing much better....so who really knows if this was the right decision.

Nah, firing Gordon was a good thing. My case for that:

He wouldn't adjust his "system" to account for the fact the team had nowhere near the speed to implement it. He had Witt joining the rush every play then got mad when the guy couldn't make it back into the d-zone. A good coach adjusts to the players, at least a little...make some exceptions. Let a slower, meaner vet like Witt play something a little closer to the defensive game he's accustomed to, rather than trying to reinvent hockey on the guy when he's a few years from retirement.

He refused to allow the team to stand up for itself, which was demoralizing as a fan...I can't imagine what it was like for the players. Snow would call up a fighter and Gordon wouldn't even give him a shift after an opposing team flattened one of the team's skill players. That's where Cappy was a huge breath of fresh air.

You could tell the team had become just as mentally fragile as Gordon was. The guy would storm out of press conferences for no reason, and always looked like he was two seconds away from a major meltdown. That doesn't seem like strong, confident leadership from the top to me.

If there's a problem I have with Cappy, it's that he's starting to act as pissy as Gordon was. The Isles play better when they're not thinking too much and just letting their skills do the work. They need a calming influence at coach, which Cappy was last year. He loosened things up a little from the rigid robot Gordon, and it paid off. I think he should get back to that, rather than this stiff, scowling Cappy we've seen so far this season. Who is that guy?.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:35 AM
LAIslanderFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy2010 View Post
So you give the credit to Tavares's great start to Capuano, because he looks really motivated.

That's a scary thought, Cappy is only able to motivate John Tavares and nobody else (by Sammy's logic).

Then we can safely say, if Cappy was fired, there's no guarentee Tavares would play as well.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 11:38 AM
KH1

The Isles have looked utterly and completely useless in half of their games this season. I'm not necessarily blaming Capuano for that (I think that our overall talent level is really lacking,) but I think it's ridiculous to be talking about him as a coach of the year candidate.

Let's get over .500 before we deify the guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOK33
This is so completely off base that I don't even know where to begin.

KH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 12:20 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipietro View Post
Are you even an Islanders fan? I have never seen a post from you that does not bash the organization completely.
LOVE is a complex web of emotions that allows far reaching joy and bitter hatred.

OBEDIENCE if saying everything's great all the time.

We have a ****ty owner if you missed that and this year is so far without our annual humiliation (though we still had a rough go, no blatant stupidity outside of a short camp). So.....18 years of complaints for me. Does it mean I do not care?

YES, I don't care for ownership. AT ALL. (Snow warmed up to me, though)

Old
10-25-2011, 12:34 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran journeyman View Post
Nah, firing Gordon was a good thing. My case for that:

He wouldn't adjust his "system" to account for the fact the team had nowhere near the speed to implement it. He had Witt joining the rush every play then got mad when the guy couldn't make it back into the d-zone. A good coach adjusts to the players, at least a little...make some exceptions. Let a slower, meaner vet like Witt play something a little closer to the defensive game he's accustomed to, rather than trying to reinvent hockey on the guy when he's a few years from retirement.

He refused to allow the team to stand up for itself, which was demoralizing as a fan...I can't imagine what it was like for the players. Snow would call up a fighter and Gordon wouldn't even give him a shift after an opposing team flattened one of the team's skill players. That's where Cappy was a huge breath of fresh air.

You could tell the team had become just as mentally fragile as Gordon was. The guy would storm out of press conferences for no reason, and always looked like he was two seconds away from a major meltdown. That doesn't seem like strong, confident leadership from the top to me.

If there's a problem I have with Cappy, it's that he's starting to act as pissy as Gordon was. The Isles play better when they're not thinking too much and just letting their skills do the work. They need a calming influence at coach, which Cappy was last year. He loosened things up a little from the rigid robot Gordon, and it paid off. I think he should get back to that, rather than this stiff, scowling Cappy we've seen so far this season. Who is that guy?.
Seconded. And for all those reasons. Cappy is an Arbour type who lets players play their game within his framework; Scrotum has Gillies playing the same game as Tavares and Grabner (good luck Toronto - hope you promote him to head coach!).

I would not be worried with Cappy. I will worry if there's an invisible hand from above not desiring a physical game from our squad, given the completely soft play from all parties not named Martin.

Old
10-26-2011, 03:00 AM
ilovemarkmessier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOK33 View Post

This is not true at all next to football your coach in hockey is more important than any other major sport. To make these statements are crazy. Milbury coaches those Detroit teams and they dont win a thing Scotty Bowman is one of the greatest coaches of all time. Remember when he came back for a year and almost won the cup with a team that wasnt even making the playoffs cmon

ilovemarkmessier is offline   Reply With Quote