HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

G.F. Will Be Our Downfall!

Old
10-25-2011, 06:54 AM
MAYO

vCash: 500
G.F. Will Be Our Downfall!

I know it's only 7 games into this very young season, but I couldn't help myself to analyze a couple of current alarming stats. We currently have 14 goals for and 14 goals against, not numbers that typically get you into the playoffs! Only two teams have fewer goals for right now, Jersey at 13 with one game played less and Edmonton. In fact last years numbers were 2.8 for and 2.4 against, and I think we all thought that this team was designed to score more goals. Say whatever you want about the lack of a top line LW, that doesn't make up for another season of a disasterous power play system!

MAYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 07:00 AM
TollefsenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAYO View Post
I know it's only 7 games into this very young season, but I couldn't help myself to analyze a couple of current alarming stats. We currently have 14 goals for and 14 goals against, not numbers that typically get you into the playoffs! Only two teams have fewer goals for right now, Jersey at 13 with one game played less and Edmonton. In fact last years numbers were 2.8 for and 2.4 against, and I think we all thought that this team was designed to score more goals. Say whatever you want about the lack of a top line LW, that doesn't make up for another season of a disasterous power play system!
Well we need another BIG NASTY grinder .... NOOoot!!! Just bring back the hobbit wizzard

TollefsenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 07:06 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

This is not the time to rush to judgement, especially when this team has been on a month-long, brutal road trip.

Revisit this in a month if needed.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 07:08 AM
MAYO

Don't even get me going on the whole grinder issue, seeing Prust drop the mitts again while Rupp sits on the bench and collects his pay check is driving me nuts, why the heck did we bother picking him up?!?!? And A.A. on the third line, seriously?

Old
10-25-2011, 07:12 AM
MAYO

I understand the whole road trip excuse, but c'mon, except for Vancouver, have we really played top teams in the Flames, Oil and Jets?!?!? I'm not looking forward to coming back to the East and playing teams like the Caps, Flyers, Sabres if we can't put the puck in the net more than twice a game, cuz you know, no matter how good the King is, it aint going to be no shut out games against these clubs!

Old
10-25-2011, 07:16 AM
TollefsenFan

Quote:
Don't even get me going on the whole grinder issue, seeing Prust drop the mitts again while Rupp sits on the bench and collects his pay check is driving me nuts, why the heck did we bother picking him up?!?!? And A.A. on the third line, seriously?
I kinda like Prust Rupp should be sent down to whale.

TollefsenFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 07:20 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

It doesn't matter who we're playing if the team is absolutely gassed. I'm not trying to make an excuse, but we all knew that the team's travel schedule was tough. Traveling by bus/plane every other day, practicing in a different place everyday, on different size ice surfaces, never having a set routine.... all of these things wear mentally and physically on the players. All I'm advocating is that we give the team a month or so of what could be called a normal NHL schedule. Then we can make informed criticisms IMO.

Revelation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 07:23 AM
Ilovemymum
recreational MD

vCash: 50
Quote:
Is this the new "sack the coach" thread?

Ilovemymum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 07:31 AM
bmw2004

Some people just love to make an excuses. If the team has chemistry, good coach with an actual game plan and a goaltender like ours It wouldnt be matter if you play at home or on the road for 1 month. You telling me that they'll fix most of the problems this team has in a month including power play? Keep dreaming.

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 07:34 AM
Megustaelhockey
Global Moderator
Hybrid icing

I read the title and was like, "Who tf is G.F? Glen Father?"

Too early in the morning.

Megustaelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 07:55 AM
MAYO

Glen Father?!?...
I didn't start this post as an anti-Torts post, I know the rules!!! I am just posting a stat that in my opinion if we don't somehow rectify will hurt our season. Road trip blues may have something to do with it, but over all, I'm just not seeing the chemistry here, if anything, all this time on the road should have brought these guys closer, no?

Old
10-25-2011, 07:56 AM
msv957

I think this team was 13th in GF last season with Gaborik having an off season... Now with the addition of Richards this team should be better in the GF department. This is a long 82 game season. This team has the horses to score goals evidenced by last year and with the addition of a top 15 point producer in Richards.

The strength of this team is GAA. It seems they are not missing a beat with Staal and Sauer out of the lineup. Torts has a defensive system in place and the team buys into it.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 08:06 AM
MAYO

MSV, I'll buy into your theory of Torts coaching a defensive system, but if our so called horses can't at least capitalize on the P.P. your right, it's going to be a long 82 game season. I'm with you that our numbers for G.A. without Staal and Sauer are very respectable, but how many games can we win averaging 2 goals a night?

Old
10-25-2011, 08:10 AM
Ilovemymum
recreational MD

Quote:
Glen Father?!?...
I didn't start this post as an anti-Torts post, I know the rules!!! I am just posting a stat that in my opinion if we don't somehow rectify will hurt our season. Road trip blues may have something to do with it, but over all, I'm just not seeing the chemistry here, if anything, all this time on the road should have brought these guys closer, no?
The pp has been horrible. Wasn't great last year either but better than Boston, and the season is long. My belly tells me that SC winners allways look crap at this time of year. Are there rules against wanting to sack Torts?

Old
10-25-2011, 08:11 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Girlfriends will be our downfall?

People need to chill the hell out. This is a team that flew to europe and played there for about 2 weeks, then flew back to NY to play one game at NYI and then went right back on the road to effin western canada and played another 4 games there. FINALLY being back home at MSG and a lengthy home stand will get our boys going. Book it.

FromTheSide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 08:12 AM
DutchShamrock

If this trend continues we'll finish the season with 82 road games.... Someone must be blamed!

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 08:22 AM
Ilovemymum
recreational MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
If this trend continues we'll finish the season with 82 road games.... Someone must be blamed!
Nice one

Old
10-25-2011, 08:23 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

We were a horrible team at the Garden last season... horrible. So I'm not sure we can take ANY solace in coming home.

That being said, I thought last night was a much better effort overall, including on the PP. There was movement, there was hustle, they created oppportunities. Some of the best chances they didn't even bury (the bad pass from MDZ to Cally on the 1st PP for example).

This team won't be one of those that averages 3.5 a night... not yet. But the defense has been fantastic (in a big part due to the goaltending) without 2 key players.

They're just trying to tread water right now, let them get more comfortable w/each other... let's get some guys back (PLZ STAAL). If they start out the season shaky and finish strong, isn't that better than the opposite?

Last edited by Riche16: 10-25-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 08:42 AM
Ilovemymum
recreational MD

As far as I can see the Glen Father's roadtrip indicator for last season was 2.4 compared to 2.0 these first seven matches. Scored 3 GF a game for the first seven on the road last season, i.e. not a very good indicator for what's gonna happen for the rest of the year. With Staal out, the D has probably been given an extra bit of emphasize, hurting production a bit maybe? (Torts should obviously still get the sack regardless, but the numbers so far doesn't neccesarily tell everything about the way this season will work out.)

Old
10-25-2011, 08:53 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

The Rangers have played games in 3 countries and 2 continents in their first seven games. 6 of which were in countries outside of the United States and in different time zones. Give them a break. Considering they've gotten 8 of 14 points (0.571), they didn't do all that bad.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 09:22 AM
kovazub94
Enigmatic

Last season of Renney's reign the team started the season by grabbing a lot of points but not showing any semblance of a hockey game or a system (later they had a horrible December - February stretch that everyone knows how it ended).

I see the a similar pattern with one big difference - travel. Let's wait and see until we get at least the same number of games at the Garden and we get our defense back healthy (even though defense was not the problem).

I'm really concerned with low number of shots and please don't tell me it's the system because in the same grind system last year the Rangers routinely very shooting high 30 - low 40 (!!!) shots on the net still getting only about 3 goals per game. My only explanation to such down turn is low effort / energy due to travel and injuries.

kovazub94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 09:34 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunnelundefaret View Post
With Staal out, the D has probably been given an extra bit of emphasize, hurting production a bit maybe?
True for everyone probably. The forwards are also being asked to play a bit more conservatively to take some of the heat off the defense.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 09:36 AM
Net Front Presence
Harvester of Sorrow

vCash: 10431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megustaelhockey View Post
I read the title and was like, "Who tf is G.F? Glen Father?"

Too early in the morning.
I just laughed out loud in class you *******

Net Front Presence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 09:45 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Say whatever you want about the lack of a top line LW, that doesn't make up for another season of a disasterous power play system!

It's always something. Torts has to chill out and let these lines have a chance to mesh imo.

Unless I missed something and he's hurt, Gabby playing 3.3 minutes of the third period in a 1-1 game is just not the way to win games.

Less head games, more hockey please

10-25-2011, 09:46 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
I think this team was 13th in GF last season with Gaborik having an off season... Now with the addition of Richards this team should be better in the GF department. This is a long 82 game season. This team has the horses to score goals evidenced by last year and with the addition of a top 15 point producer in Richards.

The strength of this team is GAA. It seems they are not missing a beat with Staal and Sauer out of the lineup. Torts has a defensive system in place and the team buys into it.
They were 16th in total GF, in both 09-10 and 10-11.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote