HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will Bryzgalov ever be worth his contract?

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2011, 11:13 PM
thephillyflu

vCash: 500
The problem is, what if Bob would have gotten up to Bryz quality in 0-3 years from now, given the opportunity? Bryzgalov hasn't been THAT consistent that we have secured a top 5 goalie for 5+ years, even if he is one now. Where would you put Bryzgalov in the context of starter goalies? 1st? 5th? It's always hard to rank goalies, but I think there's a few that's definitely better, and some who looked better last year but you don't know it'll last because what defense you have in front of you can make an average goalie look like a superstar. Guys like Rinne, Price, Miller, Quick, Lundqvist, Kiprusoff, Ward, Fleury, Vokoun, Hiller, Luongo... Will they be better or worse the coming 5 years? And even guys like Halak, Bäckström, Lehtonen, Varlamov, Montoya... You just don't know when it comes to goalies. The team they have in front of them can make a massive difference.

Therefore I think the contract is ridiculous. Like with Giroux, you KNOW he'll be top10 forwards and top5 centers the coming 5 years, or even 10. But with Bryzgalov you just can't know that, by a longshot. Not even that he'd be better than Bobrovsky if he got the confidence from the coaching staff.

If we want to be a contender right NOW, we gave up a lot better players than we got in return to fit Bryzgalov in to our team. Couturier and Schenn won't make a difference this year compared to Powe and Betts (but in the future of course, but then they will be as expensive as Richards and Carter, and it's not sure they'll be as good, hopefully they'll be better). I was furious when we made the trades, but I see know that probably Schenn, Couturier, Simmonds and Voracek will be better than Carter and Richards in the long run, but I'd preferred another goalie, not as expensive, I mean we could've waited another year, because when we threw out Richards and Carter we threw out our realistic chances to win the cup this year.

Because in just a few years, Schenn, Couturier, Simmonds and Voracek combined will be much more expensive than Carter and Richards combined. And then we sit there with our Bryzgalov contract, and have to lose one of them yet again, and we won nothing on the trade.

Old
10-24-2011, 11:27 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by thephillyflu View Post
The problem is, what if Bob would have gotten up to Bryz quality in 0-3 years from now, given the opportunity? Bryzgalov hasn't been THAT consistent that we have secured a top 5 goalie for 5+ years, even if he is one now. Where would you put Bryzgalov in the context of starter goalies? 1st? 5th? It's always hard to rank goalies, but I think there's a few that's definitely better, and some who looked better last year but you don't know it'll last because what defense you have in front of you can make an average goalie look like a superstar. Guys like Rinne, Price, Miller, Quick, Lundqvist, Kiprusoff, Ward, Fleury, Vokoun, Hiller, Luongo... Will they be better or worse the coming 5 years? And even guys like Halak, Bäckström, Lehtonen, Varlamov, Montoya... You just don't know when it comes to goalies. The team they have in front of them can make a massive difference.

Therefore I think the contract is ridiculous. Like with Giroux, you KNOW he'll be top10 forwards and top5 centers the coming 5 years, or even 10. But with Bryzgalov you just can't know that, by a longshot. Not even that he'd be better than Bobrovsky if he got the confidence from the coaching staff.

If we want to be a contender right NOW, we gave up a lot better players than we got in return to fit Bryzgalov in to our team. Couturier and Schenn won't make a difference this year compared to Powe and Betts (but in the future of course, but then they will be as expensive as Richards and Carter, and it's not sure they'll be as good, hopefully they'll be better). I was furious when we made the trades, but I see know that probably Schenn, Couturier, Simmonds and Voracek will be better than Carter and Richards in the long run, but I'd preferred another goalie, not as expensive, I mean we could've waited another year, because when we threw out Richards and Carter we threw out our realistic chances to win the cup this year.

Because in just a few years, Schenn, Couturier, Simmonds and Voracek combined will be much more expensive than Carter and Richards combined. And then we sit there with our Bryzgalov contract, and have to lose one of them yet again, and we won nothing on the trade.
It's called roster turnover. All well run teams experience it eventually. They keep the core players, but the depth players have to be replaced by younger guys within the system. It's just the way of life in a hard cap league.

Bryzgalov's contract isn't the greatest, but it has filled a hole that has plagued this franchise for a long time. I think Brobovsky will be a quality goaltender in this league, but the flyers could not take that chance for another year. They had to find a guaranteed answer.

Old
10-24-2011, 11:42 PM
thephillyflu

But as we picked Bryzgalov, we lost Carter and Richards.

You think Bryzgalov, Voracek and Simmonds is better than Carter, Bobrovsky and Richards?

Because that is the bottom line if we talk THIS year. That's why I said we could've waited another year, we can be pretty certain that we won't win this year. When Schenn, Couturier, Voracek and Simmonds pan out we'll see... I guess it was the right move to trade, pretty certain, but was the cap space best spent on Bryz?

Old
10-25-2011, 12:33 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
And not having to hear that from the media alone might be worth the money ! LOL
Exactly!

Old
10-25-2011, 12:36 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:

I think Bryz has been very consistent. Did you see Bob's second goal tonight...thats been the story so far this season. Freak goals, tips, bad bounces, ect...not poor goaltending by either guy.

The bold is the difference between you and me. I was so happy!! 2 second liners getting 1st line money LONG term. Bye see ya...couldn't have been happier. PLUS we did very well on both trades. Couturier and Schenn can't leave for (roughly) 7 years without compensation. Voracek and Simmonds have like 4 more years before they hit UFA.
This team is better than last year. The fact that Giroux gets more ice time because of the absence of the bar crew is a bonus all by itself.

Old
10-25-2011, 12:45 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

For those that say Vokoun would have been the way to go, it just reminds me of the late 90s when the Flyers went after older goalies (like Vanbiesbrouk), which did not work out.

With Bryzgalov, the contract is high, but there were not other options for a goalie with his potential to be a number 1 for a long time in the off season, and with the debacle in goal last year, signing a goalie like Vokoun would have seemed like a turn to the policy of obtaining an older used goalie like Sean Burke or Vanbiesbrouk, which has not worked for the Flyers.

For better or for worse, getting Bryzgalov is a move never made before in Flyers history - obtaining an established #1 with potential to be a #1 for a decade. If the Flyers had gotten Vokoun and it did not pan out, it would be one more year of the Flyers failing to deal appropriately with their goaltending. Now, no one can say the Flyers failed to obtain a true #1 goalie, they can only say we paid too much, and after last year's folly, I think I would rather have an overpaid goalie than a merry-go-round of ineptitude in net.

So, the deal was to secure the goalie position for 9 years, and the Flyers accomplished this. I'd take this over the Vokoun deal, because a one year deal would have created the same problems in the offseason about netminding. And if Vokoun plays great, that contract skyrockets, and if not, the deal would have been worthless anyway.

I have probably overlooked stuff and said stupid things, but I am tired and it is late.

Old
10-25-2011, 01:27 AM
flyershockey

Quote:

You think Bryzgalov, Voracek and Simmonds is better than Carter, Bobrovsky and Richards?

Because that is the bottom line if we talk THIS year. That's why I said we could've waited another year, we can be pretty certain that we won't win this year. When Schenn, Couturier, Voracek and Simmonds pan out we'll see... I guess it was the right move to trade, pretty certain, but was the cap space best spent on Bryz?
The flyers could have kept Richards and gotten Bryzgalov if they really wanted to. I think its been beaten to death around here, but Richards and Carter were not moved just to sign a goalie. For better or worse, the organization felt like they had to move these guys before their no trade clauses kicked in. There's been a lot of speculation on this board as to why that happened, but I think its pretty much consensus around here that they weren't moved just so they could sign Bryzgalov.

Old
10-25-2011, 08:43 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

I don't know how this conclusion is made:

Entire Flyers team fails to show up for two straight losses, only 5 games into the season -> Question goalie's contract

Old
10-25-2011, 09:15 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Most of us questioning it have been doing so since it was made public.

10-25-2011, 09:20 AM
thelos
Bunk

The contract is and always was stupid, but that doesnt mean Bryz isn't a great goalie. 9 years was just too much with Bob in the pipeline. The team looked like crap vs WAS and STL, it wasnt just on Bryz

Old
10-25-2011, 10:45 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantokrator View Post
For those that say Vokoun would have been the way to go, it just reminds me of the late 90s when the Flyers went after older goalies (like Vanbiesbrouk), which did not work out.

With Bryzgalov, the contract is high, but there were not other options for a goalie with his potential to be a number 1 for a long time in the off season, and with the debacle in goal last year, signing a goalie like Vokoun would have seemed like a turn to the policy of obtaining an older used goalie like Sean Burke or Vanbiesbrouk, which has not worked for the Flyers.

For better or for worse, getting Bryzgalov is a move never made before in Flyers history - obtaining an established #1 with potential to be a #1 for a decade. If the Flyers had gotten Vokoun and it did not pan out, it would be one more year of the Flyers failing to deal appropriately with their goaltending. Now, no one can say the Flyers failed to obtain a true #1 goalie, they can only say we paid too much, and after last year's folly, I think I would rather have an overpaid goalie than a merry-go-round of ineptitude in net.

So, the deal was to secure the goalie position for 9 years, and the Flyers accomplished this. I'd take this over the Vokoun deal, because a one year deal would have created the same problems in the offseason about netminding. And if Vokoun plays great, that contract skyrockets, and if not, the deal would have been worthless anyway.

I have probably overlooked stuff and said stupid things, but I am tired and it is late.

I pretty much agree with the context you just provided which I feel people don't take into account enough. They kind of were between a rock and a hard place given the precedence we've had to deal with ..goaltending wise.

Old
10-25-2011, 11:01 AM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:

The two weren't necessarily linked. They could have fit Bryz under the cap by other means, or by only moving one of them.

And I do think that Bryzgalov AND Bobrovsky, Voracek, Simmonds, Schenn and Couturier will prove to be better than Carter, Richards, Bobrovsky AND Leighton or Boucher (or whoever they could get as a backup to squeeze under the cap).

Better this year too, and of course much better over the long term.

On a sad note, as a Carter fan, is the experimental surgery he had to repair his broken foot in the playoffs two years ago coming back to haunt him?

Old
10-25-2011, 11:13 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
On a sad note, as a Carter fan, is the experimental surgery he had to repair his broken foot in the playoffs two years ago coming back to haunt him?
Seems so...apparently there are complications with that plate in his foot. Carter is not as effective if he's not up on his skates using his speed to back off defenders. A scout once said as much. That single year he scored 40 goals that's what he was doing but then teams started adjusting to him and taking him to the outside and rubbing him out more. But mostly it seemed he didn't have the speed..I'm sure his two broken feet had something to do with it. Again..I'm glad the sadness and drama is elsewhere...

Old
10-25-2011, 02:11 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
I don't know how this conclusion is made:

Entire Flyers team fails to show up for two straight losses, only 5 games into the season -> Question goalie's contract
Exactly.

I really dont get how Flyers fans can take 7 games and question 9 years...not to mention only 2 of those games he didn't look great.

Bryz is a top notch goalie...Phoenix is usually like ICU for goaltenders, yet Bryz managed to show his skill while there. On a more capable team in Anaheim, he shined and was as good if not better than J.S. Giguere in his prime.

Let's all jump on the Bob train now bc he won last night. He was good but not great - neither goal was unstoppable and according to all these naysayers, Bryz better stop every single shot, every game or he isnt worth the contract.

I can't wait to do the "told ya so" dance later in the season as I typically get to do bc Flyers fans don't know the meaning of patience. I get it, we were within reach of a cup then imploded our team for a goalie, so patience is hard to come by but, come on folks, there were 7 games. Let's not determine 9 years already.

Old
10-25-2011, 02:13 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
Exactly.

I really dont get how Flyers fans can take 7 games and question 9 years...not to mention only 2 of those games he didn't look great.

Bryz is a top notch goalie...Phoenix is usually like ICU for goaltenders, yet Bryz managed to show his skill while there. On a more capable team in Anaheim, he shined and was as good if not better than J.S. Giguere in his prime.

Let's all jump on the Bob train now bc he won last night. He was good but not great - neither goal was unstoppable and according to all these naysayers, Bryz better stop every single shot, every game or he isnt worth the contract.

I can't wait to do the "told ya so" dance later in the season as I typically get to do bc Flyers fans don't know the meaning of patience. I get it, we were within reach of a cup then imploded our team for a goalie, so patience is hard to come by but, come on folks, there were 7 games. Let's not determine 9 years already.
That's OK, because I have the patience to do the "I told you so" dance in 7 years when everyone is lamenting his cap hit compared to declining performance.

Old
10-25-2011, 02:37 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
That's OK, because I have the patience to do the "I told you so" dance in 7 years when everyone is lamenting his cap hit compared to declining performance.
So maybe that happens in seven years - I am sure we would be sensible to unload him to some cap-floor team while he still has value.

Thing is - what you are saying is all well and good HOWEVER, no one here is prophetic so to act as though this thread was started with 7 years in mind, meanwhile it was started after 7 games - with truly the premature disgruntledness about his play, is exactly the problem.

It didnt even take 1 year to start, or 3 months. So while we can all say well we don't like it in the long run, the timing is anything but coincidental.

Old
10-25-2011, 02:44 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
So maybe that happens in seven years - I am sure we would be sensible to unload him to some cap-floor team while he still has value.

Thing is - what you are saying is all well and good HOWEVER, no one here is prophetic so to act as though this thread was started with 7 years in mind, meanwhile it was started after 7 games - with truly the premature disgruntledness about his play, is exactly the problem.

It didnt even take 1 year to start, or 3 months. So while we can all say well we don't like it in the long run, the timing is anything but coincidental.
I'm not saying it WILL happen. I'm lamenting the fact that the organization so eagerly put itself into a position where it can get completely screwed. It's just a bad idea.

As for offloading him to a cap floor team...doubtful/difficult. He gets paid 5 mil a year until he's 38 or 39ish. He'd also have to agree to going there.

Old
10-25-2011, 02:46 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
I'm not saying it WILL happen. I'm lamenting the fact that the organization so eagerly put itself into a position where it can get completely screwed. It's just a bad idea.

As for offloading him to a cap floor team...doubtful,difficult. He gets paid 5 mil a year until he's 38 or 39ish. He'd also have to agree to going there.
All a hypothetical conversation. As I said, my problem is how trigger happy the fans are - that this thread happened so early on after a few subpar showings.

Not to mention if that does happen, we can waive him and as you can see with goalies who never even lived up to his potential (as of current) that are 38-41 years old, there is still a market for them.

Old
10-25-2011, 02:48 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
All a hypothetical conversation. As I said, my problem is how trigger happy the fans are - that this thread happened so early on after a few subpar showings.

Not to mention if that does happen, we can waive him and as you can see with goalies who never even lived up to his potential (as of current) that are 38-41 years old, there is still a market for them.
I can't speak for everyone else, but I've been beating the drum on this topic for months now. Bryz playing well doesn't change my mind, and neither does Bryz playing badly.

At a 5+ mil cap hit? Not sure about that(edit: waiving him and being claimed, that is). I believe he'd have to waive his NMC clause as well, wouldn't he? The Flyers have very few ways out if things go wrong. Looking at the number of goalies who are over 35 years old and worth 5 million doesn't fill me with joy either. We foolishly signed him through his decline years.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 10-25-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old
10-25-2011, 03:03 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
I can't speak for everyone else, but I've been beating the drum on this topic for months now. Bryz playing well doesn't change my mind, and neither does Bryz playing badly.

At a 5+ mil cap hit? Not sure about that(edit: waiving him and being claimed, that is). I believe he'd have to waive his NMC clause as well, wouldn't he? The Flyers have very few ways out if things go wrong. Looking at the number of goalies who are over 35 years old and worth 5 million doesn't fill me with joy either. We foolishly signed him through his decline years.
So say we have to waive him when he is 39 and have to pay 2.5 million for his contract - we have paid more/= (Leighton) for AHL goalies as backups. Plus the cap will undoubtedly be higher then and maybe we keep him for three years, win a cup, he shows off and then trade him to a team out west and Bob hits his prime. All problems solved.

No matter what, it's all hypothetical.

Old
10-25-2011, 03:18 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
So say we have to waive him when he is 39 and have to pay 2.5 million for his contract - we have paid more/= (Leighton) for AHL goalies as backups. Plus the cap will undoubtedly be higher then and maybe we keep him for three years, win a cup, he shows off and then trade him to a team out west and Bob hits his prime. All problems solved.

No matter what, it's all hypothetical.
We can't count on the cap increasing the way it has. There's a new CBA coming up, and I would be very surprised if the cap doesn't get addressed. As it stands, it's pretty much pointless now. It's doing nothing to help lower income teams. Just look at Philly, we're pretty good at just buying players. Nashville probably has concerns about being able to keep Weber from going to a team that can pay him, and TB recently had the same scare with Stamkos. There's also no way of knowing if it will level out or not.

As for trading him...you'd need to find a team willing to take 5 mil a year for a goalie going through his decline. You'd also need to hope that Bryz isn't really happy with his home in Philly.

Your situation is just as hypothetical as mine is. The difference is, failure in the NHL tends to happen more often than success...and goaltending failure/disasters are sort of what the Flyers do best. I don't see much reason to have a lot of hope for the last 4 years of Bryz's contract...and chances are good that we'd need to pay to make it go away if we wanted it gone. It'd probably be uglier than the Gagne trade, it's not like teams have loads of empty goaltending slots they want filled.

Bryz shouldn't have been signed through his decline and given a NMC, especially with Bobrovsky in the wings. It was flat out foolish to do, and far too risky.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 10-25-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old
10-25-2011, 03:34 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
We can't count on the cap increasing the way it has. There's a new CBA coming up, and I would be very surprised if the cap doesn't get addressed. As it stands, it's pretty much pointless now. It's doing nothing to help lower income teams. Just look at Philly, we're pretty good at just buying players. Nashville probably has concerns about being able to keep Weber from going to a team that can pay him, and TB recently had the same scare with Stamkos. There's also no way of knowing if it will level out or not.

As for trading him...you'd need to find a team willing to take 5 mil a year for a goalie going through his decline. You'd also need to hope that Bryz isn't really happy with his home in Philly.

Your situation is just as hypothetical as mine is. The difference is, failure in the NHL tends to happen more often than success...and goaltending failure/disasters are sort of what the Flyers do best. I don't see much reason to have a lot of hope for the last 4 years of Bryz's contract...and chances are good that we'd need to pay to make it go away if we wanted it gone. It'd probably be uglier than the Gagne trade, it's not like teams have loads of empty goaltending slots they want filled.

Bryz shouldn't have been signed through his decline and given a NMC, especially with Bobrovsky in the wings. It was flat out foolish to do, and far too risky.
It's a double-edged sword - we were so close to a cup but not there yet and bc of goaltending. Bryz's contract was the price that had to be paid to get a goalie that is cup-ready now. Vokoun def isn't, I would gaurantee that and so we did the right thing. The impatient fanbase, and rightfully so, is looking for their cup - can't have it all.

Clearly Bob was not ready. We did what we had to do - love it or hate it. I am sure you are aware of this. So the back and forth banter, while entertaining, begins on my part out of sheer annoyance that this thread came into existance so quickly after one bad game - not to address this situation as a whole.

Old
10-25-2011, 03:38 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
It's a double-edged sword - we were so close to a cup but not there yet and bc of goaltending. Bryz's contract was the price that had to be paid to get a goalie that is cup-ready now. Vokoun def isn't, I would gaurantee that and so we did the right thing. The impatient fanbase, and rightfully so, is looking for their cup - can't have it all.

Clearly Bob was not ready. We did what we had to do - love it or hate it. I am sure you are aware of this. So the back and forth banter, while entertaining, begins on my part out of sheer annoyance that this thread came into existance so quickly after one bad game - not to address this situation as a whole.
Now we have the goaltending to get a Cup, but we don't really have the forwards or overall team defense. 3 rookies is disturbing. I don't think we're any better off this year. Hopefully we are next year, because I have serious concerns about our defensive corps after that.

Old
10-25-2011, 03:43 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Now we have the goaltending to get a Cup, but we don't really have the forwards or overall team defense. 3 rookies is disturbing. I don't think we're any better off this year. Hopefully we are next year, because I have serious concerns about our defensive corps after that.
I don't know that our forwards are either...but, I don't think Carter, especially, was the difference maker in terms of playoffs. Richards, I believe, if not the Captain, would still be here. But, I dont think we could have kept him and taken the C away.

I do think in the long run we made the right choice. I think we let the Calder Cup era Richards/Carter combo have the franchise and it didn't work out - I do think that Richards was given the C too early, but idk that there were other choices at that time.

We are letting Giroux/JVR get their chance at being the franchise players - we will see how that goes.

D-wise, I am a bit concerned. I have always have my issues with Carle but the Coburn and Mez errors lately are a bit surprising.

Who knows, we are trying to find our rhythm as a re-vamped team. Maybe we will all be pleasantly surprised.

Old
10-25-2011, 04:14 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Quote:
Most of us questioning it have been doing so since it was made public.
That's all fine and dandy for you and those who've been this way from the start, but this thread was created the night after the Flyers (not just Bryzgalov) played like **** for 2 straight losses. Which is a good reason to assume this thread is a knee-jerk reaction.

There's going to be some growing pains with a new goalie and Bryzgalov adjusting to a different play style. It's unavoidable.

Closed Thread