HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TFP and Ottawa Sun: Kostitsyn available to be traded

Old
10-25-2011, 09:46 AM
WestIslander

vCash: 500
TFP and Ottawa Sun: Kostitsyn available to be traded

Seems like I was right (even though I got laughed at), I predict Kostitsyn and/or Weber are traded by November latest.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/mtl111024.html

http://www.ottawasun.com/2011/10/22/...blue-line-help

Quote:
Pierre Gauthier would never show any signs of panic publicly.

But the talk in league circles is the Montreal Canadiens GM ó who plays it close to the vest and rarely speaks to the media ó is quite concerned with the way his club has struggled out of the gate and is trying to make changes.

The Habs went into Saturday nightís visit by the Toronto Maple Leafs last in the Eastern Conference.

That isnít sitting well in hockey-mad Montreal and Gauthier canít preach patience.

To make matters worse, the Habs have been hit by injuries.

The Canadiens have no idea when veteran blueliner Andrei Markov might return from off-season knee surgery, and sources say the Habs may be willing to part with winger Andrei Kostitsyn to get help.

Making $3.25 million and set to become a UFA on July 1, Kostitsyn, 26, isnít the kind of player everybody wants, but heís coming off a 20-goal campaign and has been one of the clubís best players this season.

Kostitsyn struggles with consistency, but the Habs might be able to fetch a veteran blueliner for him.

The issue Gauthier is facing: Heís not the only GM looking for help on the back end.

Tampaís Steve Yzerman is working the phones as well.

The problem both GMs are finding is teams that have an extra D-man arenít willing to part with them.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 09:48 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

AK has been playing great his season

Do not want trade

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 09:49 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Oh boy, another Veteran Defenseman. There's the solution to scoring 0-1 goals per game.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 09:49 AM
Aarex

Gross, I'm having a hard time getting into this season as it is. If they trade my favorite player (A guy I traveled to Edmonton to watch him play his first AHL game where he scored on his first shot just inside the blue line a crazy hard snap shot top corner) I may not bother watching until after the NFL season is over.

Aarex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 09:52 AM
Habs

You can hide the holes on the blueline if we score some more goals... just thought.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 09:52 AM
Brass

Hurry fire Gauthier Before its too late !

Brass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 09:53 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subbanation View Post
Gross, I'm having a hard time getting into this season as it is. If they trade my favorite player (A guy I traveled to Edmonton to watch him play his first AHL game where he scored on his first shot just inside the blue line a crazy hard snap shot top corner) I may not bother watching until after the NFL season is over.
Get a new hero, your current one hasn't done much to make him a cornerstone of this franchise.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 09:54 AM
Gainey#1*

Not sure why everyone is surprised.

Kostitsyn is not going to stay in MTL past this year, and we will just lose him to UFA without getting anything in return.

It is time to re-build and acquire picks/prospects for our players.

Gainey#1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 09:56 AM
Perrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Get a new hero, your current one hasn't done much to make him a cornerstone of this franchise.
Trading him for a hole plugging d man isnt the solution either. Considering he has been playing on one of our best lines and Pacioretty is hurt it would be borderline crazy to trade him now unless they are getting something of value in return.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 09:56 AM
PKtrollban
PK for Norris

Perhaps Gauthier should tell JM first, to use AK on the PP instead of Darche.

Serioulsy, this is mind boggling. First, JM sits Cole to play Darche. then he gets critiscized and sits AK instead of Cole, to still play Darche on the friggin PP.

No wonder why we struggle scoring goals.

No matter the level of effort, I'd play AK over Darche for a ToI ratio of 2:1

AK is one of our best players so far even if results aren't there and he barely plays more than 4rth liners.

PKtrollban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 09:57 AM
number 11

we won't get much for him.

number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 09:57 AM
llamateizer

trading AK means Tanking

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 09:58 AM
Patty Roy

Not a surprise...I would be shocked if AK and Weber are still on this team next season. I fully expect them to be moved at some point or for AK to leave as a UFA this summer.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 09:58 AM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Oh boy, another Veteran Defenseman. There's the solution to scoring 0-1 goals per game.
Actually it is. Just look at what Wiz did last year for us I think he was 5th overall in the NHL in scoring for defensemen. We sure could use those points right now.

If you ask me in a league where the puck moves so fast and the transition game is instant-quick having guys back there who can help your transition game is key. Offense starts with a solid group of defensemen who can move the puck.

That's not even mentioning how brutal our PP is right now and how much better it would be with Markov (or how it was much better with Wiz and even Hammer).

We're what dead last in the league on the PP? Adding a veteran D would help that immensely imo.

I just wish we had done it this summer and not have to trade a top 6 forward for one.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 09:59 AM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Team can't score goals? Max Pacioretty injured? Let's trade our best shot!

Guaranteed whatever we get for him will not be enough, and everyone will be screaming about Gauthier's "asset management" when it's really Martin who just doesn't know how to coach Kostitsyn.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:00 AM
SergeConstantin74
Always right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post
Not sure why everyone is surprised.

Kostitsyn is not going to stay in MTL past this year, and we will just lose him to UFA without getting anything in return.

It is time to re-build and acquire picks/prospects for our players.
I wouldn't mind trading Kostitsyn for drafts picks/prospects but I feel like it's gonna be a veteran defenseman with one year left on his contract...

SergeConstantin74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:00 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

I remember when Bruce Garrioch was reliable... oh wait.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:03 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
The GA is a bigger concern than goals for right now. Plus, if you are better at taking the puck away in your end it contributes to puck posession on offense.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:04 AM
Habs10Habs
HFBoards Sponsor

Using Garrioch and TFP doesn't prove your right. In fact, I'd probably lean in the other direction.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Maxpac

Man, if this team trades a forward like Kostitsyn for another defensmen, I'm out until next season with this team. There's blind love, but then there's just retarded. We have so many holes to fill before touching the D, Spacek just came back and Markov should be back next month.

Get some freacking energy players on this team, and use logic when doing lines. I Cammalleri-Plekanec-Cole is not your 1st line, if your best center is still playing on the point, if you use Subban on the right side when he's on the pp with Weber, if Darche is on your 1st pp wave (with 2 other winger!), you either don't want to win, or it's simply past your time.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:07 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger77 View Post
Actually it is. Just look at what Wiz did last year for us I think he was 5th overall in the NHL in scoring for defensemen. We sure could use those points right now.

If you ask me in a league where the puck moves so fast and the transition game is instant-quick having guys back there who can help your transition game is key. Offense starts with a solid group of defensemen who can move the puck.

That's not even mentioning how brutal our PP is right now and how much better it would be with Markov (or how it was much better with Wiz and even Hammer).

We're what dead last in the league on the PP? Adding a veteran D would help that immensely imo.

I just wish we had done it this summer and not have to trade a top 6 forward for one.
We have a solid group of defensemen who can move the puck. Between Subban, Weber, Diaz and Markov if he ever comes back, we're really not lacking in that area. Getting more physical might help, but our problem is scoring goals, and it's not because we can't get the puck out of the zone.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:09 AM
JackZap

Carkner and Neil in ottawa

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:10 AM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

If we end up trading AK I would be very disappointed personally...

I don't see how you wanna get rid of the players that are playing their best hockey right now...I really think that AK should be resigned here for like 3 years.

If that doesn't happen and we do end up trading him, I'd probably stop watching the habs lol cuz this team is so pathetic right now AK is the only reason why I am entertained.

Anyways, Eller AK Moen all need to stay with the habs...FOREVER

RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ClasslessGuy

At least can we get a good defensemen? In the worst case scenario we add something. I don't really wan't to loose Kostitsyn for a #5-6-7 ...

Bowmester?

ClasslessGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
We have a solid group of defensemen who can move the puck. Between Subban, Weber, Diaz and Markov if he ever comes back, we're really not lacking in that area. Getting more physical might help, but our problem is scoring goals, and it's not because we can't get the puck out of the zone.
Exactly + we have Weber playing as a forward and Yemelin in the stands. Let's trade one of our best forwards so fan for another D. I really hope Gauthier doesn't panic and make a dumb move. If he is going to move Kostitsyn I hope it's not for a veteran

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote