HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

TFP and Ottawa Sun: Kostitsyn available to be traded

Old
10-25-2011, 10:15 AM
Jigger77

vCash: 500
Yeah come to think of it I don't really the idea of losing Kostitsyn for a patch up at this point. But at this point Kostistyn IS in the lineup and we're not winning and having trouble scoring.

What he should have done was added another D this summer. At this point though there is a hole back there and I'm sorry but Emelin is not the guy to fill it. (not yet anyway).

So you have to decide, do we try and save the season by trading for something we really need immediately? Or steer the course and hope that by the time Campoli and Markov come back we're not completely out of the playoff picture.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:16 AM
neopreneur

There's is no way imaginable I can conceive where we trade AK and then become a better team.

Everyone complains we lack size; well AK is one of a few on our team that currently plays a physical game... and he's good at it ... and he can snipe... and has chemistry with our young up-and-comers Eller/Patches/DD.

AK is not a problem in my opinion. He is inconsistent but his positives outweigh his negatives.

neopreneur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:18 AM
otto bond

I still say our biggest need is at center. Don't get me wrong, we need a solid dmen but we have been missing a top end center for decades here.

otto bond is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:19 AM
shutehinside

I was thinking that a AK + Spacek for Calgary might be a good trade for both teams.

We get an over paid but still very good defensman that can make a difference and we shed enough salary to fit him under the cap. He's also big at 6-4 220lbs and mobile and can help clear the crease and the zone. AK is paying 3rd line and we can call up Palushaj who's better suited in a more offensive role anyways.

Calgary gets a solid 20 goal scorer and depth on defense with two soon to be UFA's. It can take the $7M off the cap and go after other players in the off season if they want.

JayBo has tones of potential and would help solidify our defense once/if we ever play with out fulll corps.

Markov - JayBo
Gorges - PK
Gill - Campoli
Diaz
Weber
Emelin

May not be the best trade available but off the top of my head, it sounds pretty good to me.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:19 AM
GoodKiwi

I'm far from being a fan of AK, but trading him now for a patch on D would be a mistake in my opinion.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:21 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto bond View Post
I still say our biggest need is at center. Don't get me wrong, we need a solid dmen but we have been missing a top end center for decades here.
I disagree, I think Plekanec and Eller is damn decent for top 2 centers. But yet again, one plays 10 min on the pk every single game and the other has no pp time, would rather use 3 wingers including Mathieu Darche. Coaching is 90% of the problem, the other 10% comes from a non-contribution of the 4th line.

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:22 AM
Gainey#1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
I wouldn't mind trading Kostitsyn for drafts picks/prospects but I feel like it's gonna be a veteran defenseman with one year left on his contract...
Well if that is in fact the case, that is incredibly stupid and would be terrible asset management.

We need to rebuild and start acquiring some blue chip prospects with skill, size and grit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodKiwi View Post
I'm far from being a fan of AK, but trading him now for a patch on D would be a mistake in my opinion.
It would be a mistake if the trade is for some patch work. We need to stop making these patch work trades and acquire assets for the future.

I am sick of losing players for nothing.

It is time to re-build.

Gainey#1* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:23 AM
HabsSlappy

We will never get an even trade for Kostitsyn. For some reason I see no way that we come out on top if we trade him.

HabsSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:23 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Also probably going to depend on the injury to Patches now, if he is out for a long period of time it would be dumb to move Kostitsyn now. This is from Garrioch, doubt anything happens anyways

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:24 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
I remember when Bruce Garrioch was reliable... oh wait.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Using Garrioch and TFP doesn't prove your right. In fact, I'd probably lean in the other direction.
Came here to post something similar to these posts. Garrioch mentioned this a few days back but it didn't seem to garner much attention - wonder why

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:25 AM
gillyguzzler

The best Habs line this year... DD-Max-AK... lasted 2 games.

The best Habs line during the past two games... Eller-Moen-AK... no pp time and sitting on the bench in the last minutes of the game.

If I'm Andrei, I'm praying to get the f... away from JM.

gillyguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:26 AM
CuteHockeyBunny

Montreal Canadiens will revolutionize the game when they field an 18 man defensive squad.

CuteHockeyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:28 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

If true, I hate this. JM has real problems dealing with players under 30. We have lost so much offensive talent for nada. When will we learn???

JLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:28 AM
habsjunkie2*

If PG moves AK for another patchwork dman he can GTFO, enough with the god damn incompetence.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:32 AM
ROEN
HabsHQ

A while ago this was discussed, As far as I've heard Kostitsyn has been available since day 1.

ROEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:34 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORENW View Post
A while ago this was discussed, As far as I've heard Kostitsyn has been available since day 1.
Havlat has returned and the Sharks have won both games. I don't think they are in a rush but I can see them making a move more towards the trade deadline

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:35 AM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Oh boy, another Veteran Defenseman. There's the solution to scoring 0-1 goals per game.
seriously

unless his name is Drew Doughty or Shea Weber, no thanks

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:36 AM
Kriss E

I'm not surprised AK and Weber are available for trades. Outside PK and Price, who shouldn't be really?
I doubt AK is moved unless it means something of significance in return, and I don't think Gauthier is dumb enough to move him without getting proper help up front. Going into this season, we all agreed that finally we had 3 offensive lines to play with. Cammy got injured, then Gomez, and now MaxPac, Palushaj showed nothing to really leave management in thinking he can step it up yet.
AK, Moen and Eller are the only offensive forwards that aren't in the negative.

We don't need more veterans, the problem this year is coming from those veterans. Gill is pure crap. Gorges, started strong, but has been making costly turnovers as of late, Cammy looks useless most of the time (he has no business being on the PK as well, that's just dumb and I've had enough of it), Gionta hustles hard as he always does but can't buy a goal, Gomez had a decent start but his line never finished, Cole has been horrible (although I do find he picked it up a notch, and quite frankly, being a new comer, I can give him more leeway), Plekanec hasn't created much. Darche isn't having a bad year, but there's so much this guy can do. Moen is the only veteran that has been having a great start.
Not sure where people put AK, but he's had a good start. His line, no matter which one, seems to always be one of the most dangerous offensively.
Other than them, MaxPac, DD and Eller have all had pretty good starts. MaxPac and DD were part of our best offensive trio (with AK) until Martin had the brilliance of splitting them up (God forbid AK is part of a good duo. Last year he was moved when he completed Plek-Cammy and was one of our best forwards, this year it's the same, except he also has chemistry with Eller so things aren't as bad as last year). Eller, considering he didn't have a camp, has played quite well. He still has things to work on, but at 22, he's doing well.
On defense, Weber, Emelin and Diaz, considering their lack of experience, have all done a commendable job. PK has struggled a bit, but I found he had a good game yesterday. Price can give more.

If anything, we must keep our younger players and trade our veterans. They're the reason for our early struggles, not our youngsters.

If I'm AK though, I tell myself not to get upset over anything this season, play my game whenever I'm used, and GTFO next year. The way Martin has used this kid is insulting. Played less than 3minutes more on the PP than Darche. Sees veterans that are constantly underperforming being used more than him by 3-4minutes. Unless there's a coaching change, I doubt AK sticks here after this season.

Last edited by Kriss E: 10-25-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:37 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Using Garrioch and TFP doesn't prove your right. In fact, I'd probably lean in the other direction.
Yeah that is quite funny if I may say so. Personally not saying he's wrong or anything but a pending UFA on a team that isn't doing well may get trade? <--- my expression.

I mean call Eklund now because clearly he could not predict this and will no doubt need help coming up with rumors!

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:37 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
This. Making this kind of trade would be very short sighted. When Campoli is back in a couple of weeks and possibly also Markov, what do you do then? Are you forced to make another trade to get a forward again?

Does not make sense to me.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:39 AM
Andros777

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubaka View Post
At least can we get a good defensemen? In the worst case scenario we add something. I don't really wan't to loose Kostitsyn for a #5-6-7 ...

Bowmester?
I would take Jay Bouwmeester without a second thought, his contract notwithstanding. He's huge, very fast, and can add some offense. He plays amazing defense. He's exactly the rock we need back there.

We've been overpaying players right and left, for once let's overpay for someone good.

Andros777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:40 AM
neofury*

Only way I'll be remotely happy is if it's Jaybo coming back and even then he's overpaid

But he would solidify our D especially if Campoli/Markov come back. Kosty is a pending UFA who likely will do better on another more offensive team. I'd laugh if we got picks/prospect at deadline and he re-signed here after

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:46 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I'm not surprised AK and Weber are available for trades. Outside PK and Price, who shouldn't be really?
I doubt AK is moved unless it means something of significance in return, and I don't think Gauthier is dumb enough to move him without getting proper help up front. Going into this season, we all agreed that finally we had 3 offensive lines to play with. Cammy got injured, then Gomez, and now MaxPac, Palushaj showed nothing to really leave management in thinking he can step it up yet.
AK, Moen and Eller are the only offensive forwards that aren't in the negative.

We don't need more veterans, the problem this year is coming from those veterans. Gill is pure crap. Gorges, started strong, but has been making costly turnovers as of late, Cammy looks useless most of the time (he has no business being on the PK as well, that's just dumb and I've had enough of it), Gionta hustles hard as he always does but can't buy a goal, Gomez had a decent start but his line never finished, Cole has been horrible (although I do find he picked it up a notch, and quite frankly, being a new comer, I can give him more leeway), Plekanec hasn't created much. Darche isn't having a bad year, but there's so much this guy can do. Moen is the only veteran that has been having a great start.
Not sure where people put AK, but he's had a good start. His line, no matter which one, seems to always be one of the most dangerous offensively.
Other than them, MaxPac, DD and Eller have all had pretty good starts. MaxPac and DD were part of our best offensive trio (with AK) until Martin had the brilliance of splitting them up (God forbid AK is part of a good duo. Last year he was moved when he completed Plek-Cammy and was one of our best forwards, this year it's the same, except he also has chemistry with Eller so things aren't as bad as last year). Eller, considering he didn't have a camp, has played quite well. He still has things to work on, but at 22, he's doing well.
On defense, Weber, Emelin and Diaz, considering their lack of experience, have all done a commendable job. PK has struggled a bit, but I found he had a good game yesterday. Price can give more.

If anything, we must keep our younger players and trade our veterans. They're the reason for our early struggles, not our youngsters.

If I'm AK though, I tell myself not to get upset over anything this season, play my game whenever I'm used, and GTFO next year. The way Martin has used this kid is insulting. Played less than 3minutes more on the PP than Darche. Sees veterans that are constantly underperforming being used more than him by 3-4minutes. Unless there's a coaching change, I doubt AK sticks here after this season.
I agree with everything here. Our best players are one's we drafted and developed ourselves, the veteran guys have been the problem.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:46 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros777 View Post
I would take Jay Bouwmeester without a second thought, his contract notwithstanding. He's huge, very fast, and can add some offense. He plays amazing defense. He's exactly the rock we need back there.

We've been overpaying players right and left, for once let's overpay for someone good.
JayBo has been a disappointment in CGY, but I'm not sure they'd move him, otherwise they wouldn't have traded Regher imo.
He also makes just under 7M, so we'd need to move AK+Weber+1.5-2M.

Maybe White and Markov could be placed on LTIR, I still don't know why they weren't placed there to begin with anyways..

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:51 AM
Capitano

I personally don't view AKost as a long-term solution, so if we continue to falter and this season is written off, then we better be trading him.

Capitano is offline   Reply With Quote