HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Cody Franson is Available

Old
10-25-2011, 01:53 PM
ELab2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesWiznewski View Post
I can see the Habs doing Bozak+ Franson for AK.
I can see the Flyers doing the same for Hartnell.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 01:54 PM
TheSilencer

His value is probably just a mid-round pick. No teams are going to trade their top 6 players for a package around Franson. He's ridiculously soft, slow and nothing more than a bottom pairing defenseman.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 01:54 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
In a Daily Debate column on ESPN, while discussing the rumors that Montreal is looking for a defenceman, Pierre LeBrun mentioned this which has been supposed recently, but this is the first time I've seen it from an actual good source.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...ed-in-montreal

I'd be curious where he winds up. Part of this, I chalk up to Jake Gardiner passing him on the depth chart, and another part of this would stem to Brian Burke possibly being annoyed at Franson complaining about not playing, but it also seems there was maybe something to all those Predators fans who suggested Franson's numbers were a by-product of being well-protected by coach Barry Trotz.
He's a talented player but he is just on the bad end of a numbers game. He got unlucky as Burke wanted to showcase players like Gunnarsson and Komisarek, and give time to Gardiner to show the prospects that if they played good enough the team would give them time if they deserved it.

Unfortunately for Franson, Gunnarsson has played himself into being a potential long-term option for this team and Komisarek has played himself into being dead weight. So that leaves moving Franson for that forward that Burke wants.

Franson didn't help matters by voicing his annoyance with Wilson. I'm not sure it has anything to do with Burke. Wilson has been known to be hard on guys and it looks like Franson is now that guy as a result of his public speech. Burke probably wants to give the guy a shot at playing with a team in their top 6 (as he's long been known as a players GM, giving a fair shot to guys that wouldn't get it).

theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 01:55 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondock View Post
I think that Columbus, Montreal, NYR and Edmonton should look at Franson as an option. He is a capable 3rd pairing guy who can play the point on the 2nd unit PP. Would the Leafs accept an early 3rd from C-Bus or Edmonton?
I only see Columbus as a reasonable option there.

Edmonton has enough soft offensive defensman...ya Im looking at you Cam Barker.

NYR Im sure they would rather have a player who can play defense.

Montreal has tons of bottom pairing guys.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 01:56 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrad420 View Post
Becasue thats what half decent GMs are supposed to do?? why wouldnt he try is the better question.
It comes down to time management and what's important.

Like I said - the trade's already a win so a 3rd for Franson would be a bonus.

From what I have read on these boards, if I were Burke I'd grab a 3rd, send Franson packing, and focus time and energy on other issues.

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 01:56 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 627
Want Krys Barch?

Truculence!!

10-25-2011, 01:57 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Management View Post
Darren Dreger mentioned on TSN Radio 1050 that the Leafs are only "mildly" interested in trading Franson.

That's if the right offer comes along because, as Dreger mentioned, it's still quite early in the season. The tenor of the conversation suggests teams are calling Toronto, inquiring about guys like Gunnarsson and Franson, not that Toronto is actively shopping either player (most notably Gunnarsson, whom they apparently have "no interest" in moving at this time).

If you're a GM, it's your job to listen to offers that come across the table from your colleagues throughout the league. With the depth we have on defense, and kids like Keith Aulie and Jesse Blacker fine-tuning their games for the big club, the Leafs can probably afford to part with some talent or potential on the back-end. What Brian Burke would be looking for in return (perhaps a draft pick if he doesn't see Franson in this team's long-term plans, perhaps a package with a more significant piece) is anybody's guess, really.
I'd say its actually a pretty good bet that its a top 6 forward.

Burke will wait for the sweetheart deal to get a top 6 forward and it will likely include one of the Leafs talented dmen.

Old
10-25-2011, 01:57 PM
Tarpit*

Looking at the stats, TO ranks 27th in goals against and 26th at the PK. This would suggest that TO's defense or goaltending, or both is not the greatest. When Franson cannot crack a squad with these stats, it would say his value is not as high some people think.

Don't you think some GM's are looking at this. I don't know what his value is, but it wouldn't be that high.

Tarpit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 01:58 PM
Mike Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Truculence!!
I thought Burke's word for this season was "Hostility"...

Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 01:58 PM
AMDZen
Moon June Spoon Goon

So they just trade to get him in July and then supposedly already looking to trade him away.

Makes sense. Brian Burke makes so much sense

AMDZen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 01:59 PM
Deuce Awesome

I think typically he would only be worth a 3rd or maybe even less, but with there being a market for dmen think anyone might make the push and offer more?

Thing is, hes not good enough for us to aquire a forward better than what we have currently, so maybe just hang onto him until the deadline and watch the drunken sailor trades unfold. Maybe a salary dump type scenario but IIRC we are bouncing off the cap thanks to all the dumps already.

If Burke got firsts for Versteeg and Kaberle.......

Deuce Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 02:00 PM
TheBigE

Something around Turris?

TheBigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Deuce Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDZen View Post
So they just trade to get him in July and then supposedly already looking to trade him away.

He does.

If you saw what has unfolded we have had dmen step up that weren't expected to. Just a numbers game. Happens to good teams all the time. Depth.

Old
TheSilencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDZen View Post

I think it has something to do with Gardiner's emergence. No one really expected Gardiner to come out the way he did.

TheSilencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Hulk Hogan*

Franson for Bailey or Comeau

Hulk Hogan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Deuce Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigE View Post
Something around Turris?
Think he will be sitting for a while......cant see the Yotes trading him for a defenceman that can't crack the Leafs.

Old
10-25-2011, 02:02 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpit View Post
Looking at the stats, TO ranks 27th in goals against and 26th at the PK. This would suggest that TO's defense or goaltending, or both is not the greatest. When Franson cannot crack a squad with these stats, it would say his value is not as high some people think.

Don't you think some GM's are looking at this. I don't know what his value is, but it wouldn't be that high.
How many times is it going to take Leaf fans saying that Burke knows the value of his players and will get it. The things people on HFBoards think for value has been proven wrong time and again.

THis will be no different. If Burke is trading Franson, it won't be for some low pick.

Edit: Can't believe I spelt "knows" wrong...

Old
Deuce Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agi View Post
Franson for Bailey or Comeau

Is Bailey still waiver exempt or does he have to clear to be sent to the AHL?

Old
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigE View Post
Something around Turris?
Stick with soccer.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 02:03 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilencer View Post
His value is probably just a mid-round pick. No teams are going to trade their top 6 players for a package around Franson. He's ridiculously soft, slow and nothing more than a bottom pairing defenseman.
I'd say that's about right; though have to consider the Leafs took on a big salary dump (that unexpectedly turned out well) in Lombardi when they traded for Franson. I'd say you could get a solid 2nd rounder for him, possibly a bit more. His value is definitely not going to go up if he's sitting in the press box for the bulk of the first 20 games though.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 02:06 PM
Horseradish

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post
Fixed it for you.
Thank you.

Christ. Nashville barely gave up anything for Franson, why the hell would we give up a legit prospect who has put up roughly .5 PPG in his limited NHL experience, albeit one who is currently in his coach's doghouse.

Franson's a useful, fairly young d-man, but I wouldn't give up somebody with the upside of Omark. I'd definitely pass over Peckham for him though. I think the Oilers have other guys who are as good or better than Peckham in the truculence and defensive ability tangibles, and certainly who are better all-around. As far as guys on the Oilers depth chart who either are or soon will be, in my humble opinion, better than Peckham:

In the now and near future:
Whitney
Gilbert
Smid
Potter
Petry
Teubert

In the not-too-distant future:
Klefbom
Fedun

Whereas Franson could be a more useful player for at least a year or two while Petry, Teubert, Klefbom and Fedun are rounding out.

Franson for Peckham with maybe minor additions on either side would work for me. And I have a feeling that Peckham is exactly the kind of guy that Burke likes to have around on hand as well.

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 02:06 PM
HuskyFlames

Franson and Kadri for Bourque

HuskyFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 02:08 PM
WarriorofTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by 705techno View Post
I think typically he would only be worth a 3rd or maybe even less, but with there being a market for dmen think anyone might make the push and offer more?

Thing is, hes not good enough for us to aquire a forward better than what we have currently, so maybe just hang onto him until the deadline and watch the drunken sailor trades unfold. Maybe a salary dump type scenario but IIRC we are bouncing off the cap thanks to all the dumps already.

If Burke got firsts for Versteeg and Kaberle.......
Teams don't give up first round picks for scratched defensemen on teams that are 5th to last in Goals Against. If you want high value (1st round pick, someone that can play in the top six) you have to trade a better defenseman than Franson.

WarriorofTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 02:08 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Burke will always strive to make the team better. AK doesn't address that.

Bailey, Comeau, Hartnell and Turris may.

Burke will find a way.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 02:10 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyFlames View Post
Franson and Kadri for Bourque
good one

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote