HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RW Joshua Ho-Sang - Windsor Spitfires, OHL (2014, 28th overall, NY Islanders)

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2011, 10:16 PM
Breakfast of Champs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
How would some of you guys compare him to MacKinnon (in terms of how highly touted they are)?
Never seen him play but in regards to being touted this thread/the article is a good indication, people are saying better than stamkos and hall and the most skilled player since tavares in ontario at that age, so in regards to highly touted i would say hes up there with mackinnon atm

Old
10-24-2011, 10:24 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Finally! For the first time ever, we may have a legitimate Jewish superstar.

Let the globalization and multiculturalism of hockey continue.

Old
10-24-2011, 11:15 PM
Pick Six
@Lafortune_FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
How would some of you guys compare him to MacKinnon (in terms of how highly touted they are)?
Really hard to compare for me. I've only seen MacKinnon in the QMJHL and at the Canada Games (best on best). Whereas I've only seen Ho-Sang play Minor Midget (Allstate doesn't count).

Despite their many differences I can see Ho-Sang having a MacKinnon-like offensive output next year in the right situation.

Old
10-24-2011, 11:17 PM
Alberta tough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Sometimes I wish I lived out East.

Kid sounds awesome.
Not to worry we got a pretty good one in Jake Virtanen out West.

Old
10-25-2011, 12:06 AM
bruinsfan46

Stoked to see the kid in the league next year, reading about him makes you wonder if Ekblad wasn't around would Ho-Sang be in the league this year? Minorities are really starting to show up on the hockey scene, last year's OHL draft had four black kids in the top 12 and next year a half-black, half-hispanic jew with a Chinese surname will go first overall.

Last edited by bruinsfan46: 10-25-2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old
10-25-2011, 12:21 AM
Tavaresmagicalplay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
Wth, are you Chinese and want to claim a potential future superstar as one of your own or what? Some logic.
Uhhh what? He's chinese.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy1975 View Post
Interesting logic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanzenkills View Post
In the article, he says that he mainly identifies with being Jewish, Spanish, and Jamaican. His surname is Chinese because his grandfather was from Hong Kong, but he says that he's actually mostly lost touch with the Chinese part of his background.
That means he's chinese.

Old
10-25-2011, 01:52 AM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresmagicalplay View Post
Uhhh what? He's chinese.

That means he's chinese.
1/4 Chinese.

Old
10-25-2011, 10:49 AM
Hockey Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta tough View Post
Not to worry we got a pretty good one in Jake Virtanen out West.
Agreed...Virtanen is a horse!!

Old
10-25-2011, 10:59 AM
The Scouting Report

Ho-Sang reminds me a lot of Matt Duchene. Both players are a little undersized but are stocky and very strong on their skates.

Ho-Sang is explosive, has elite hands and vision, and can basically do whatever he wants when he turns his game up. I would like to see him improve his decision making a bit as he can get pretty frustrated on the ice when things don't go his way, but that should improve in time.

Overall, he's definitely an elite player for the OHL Draft at this point and I'm looking forward to getting some more looks at him as the season progresses.

One thing that is a little unfortunate is that his MM team is so dominant so it's tough to see him in "real" games where the intensity is elevated.

Old
10-25-2011, 12:03 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

I'd love to do some further scouting of Ho-Sang and his teammates but finding their schedule has been quite challenging. There are some big tournaments that these MM teams compete in but how can I get ahold of their regular season games?

Anyone care to help?

Old
10-25-2011, 12:19 PM
The Scouting Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
I'd love to do some further scouting of Ho-Sang and his teammates but finding their schedule has been quite challenging. There are some big tournaments that these MM teams compete in but how can I get ahold of their regular season games?

Anyone care to help?
Here is the link to the GTHL Games Centre (It's not the greatest user interface):

http://www.gthlcanada.com/content/?page=Schedule%20News

You could also email their team manager to get a team schedule.

Old
10-25-2011, 01:30 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Thanks. Found the site earlier but couldn't figure out how to navigate it properly. Now I have.

Cheers

Old
10-25-2011, 01:31 PM
UkraineTrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
1/4 Chinese.
Quote:
“My dad’s grandfather was from Hong Kong,” Joshua says.
1/8 Chinese.

Despite the fact that English is not my native language it seems like I read better than you.

Old
10-25-2011, 01:38 PM
LolungoReboundo
LeafsOnLeafsOnLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by UkraineTrain View Post
1/8 Chinese.

Despite the fact that English is not my native language it seems like I read better than you.
LOLL

Old
10-25-2011, 01:39 PM
Tigers1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post

Anyone care to help?
As far as big tournaments, SilverSticks in Whitby is the biggest one that is coming up, Nov. 24-27.

The Marlies Classic is from Dec. 26th - 30th in Etobicoke

Old
10-25-2011, 02:01 PM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by UkraineTrain View Post
1/8 Chinese.

Wow, you got me! Now you can die knowing that you really have achieved something significant. Take a cookie and enjoy it. It really is 1/8. I'm so embarassed right now, though English isn't my 1st language aswell but who cares? You're awesome!

P.S. Nah, not a big deal. And definately not smth. to brag about.

Old
10-25-2011, 02:10 PM
UkraineTrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
Wow, you got me! Now you can die knowing that you really have achieved something significant. Take a cookie and enjoy it. It really is 1/8. I'm so embarassed right now, though English isn't my 1st language aswell but who cares? You're awesome!

P.S. Nah, not a big deal. And definately not smth. to brag about.
I didn't mean to offend you. I mean REALLY. Don't be so embarrassed.

Old
10-25-2011, 04:46 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Isn't his last name actually Vietnamese? Sounds more like it, but he is 1/4 Chinese.

And why exactly does it matter? I really don't get why.

Old
10-25-2011, 04:50 PM
BluechipBulletin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleSmedsmosStache View Post
Erie Otters are about to get a whole lot more exciting.
LOL, as if he'd play in Erie.

Old
10-25-2011, 04:56 PM
BluechipBulletin

For those who haven't seen him, he stickhandles like Patrick Kane and Nail Yakupov - he chops the puck back and forth as he skates instead of pushing it like most players do. It helps him be able to make moves quicker, and he usually just toys with defenders.

He's incredibly dominant, and I haven't seen him actually try in a game yet. I've seen him face difficult competition and he plays as if he's just screwing around in warm-up. He's that much better than everyone else. I look forward to seeing his game grow when he faces tougher competition.

The sick thing is that his teammate Connor McDavid isn't significantly behind him in terms of talent or ability, and McDavid is a 97.

Old
10-25-2011, 05:00 PM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

vCash: 50
I've seen him play in the OHL cup last year one year younger than the rest of the kids he was playing.

He really is amazing. Speed wise, I don't know if I've seen a 14/15 year old skate any faster.

Old
10-25-2011, 05:57 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
All the stuff about where his parents are from and the ethnicities he identifies with is interesting.

He looks like the real deal. We'll have to bump that puns thread in a few years

Old
10-25-2011, 10:18 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
He might be Jewish, Spanish, and Jamaican. But even if he lost his touch of his Asian background, he's still Chinese to me.
Hilarious!

Old
11-15-2011, 12:15 PM
derbyfan

I was actually filming the Marlies-Red Wings game last Friday for the teams, and it was my first chance to see Ho-Sang. To put it bluntly - he absolutely blew me away. True it was the Red Wings they were playing, but the Wings are a mid-tier team in the MM standings this year, so not a bad team (they actually have Claude Lemieux's son on the team).
I cover literally hundreds of games each year, and I can honestly say Ho-Sang is the most talented I've filmed in quite some time at that age. Incredible acceleration, vision, and his hands are as advertised.
One thing you'll notice about most kids at the Minor Midget age is they are still growing into their bodies. Ho-Sang had complete control of his movements, and it's like his stick was an extension of him, which you most definitely cannot say about most kids his age.

Anyway, the game was a 9-1 blowout, and I lost count how many points he had. But I'm impressed, and would pay the price of admission to go see Ho-Sang again. Just my 2 cents

Old
11-15-2011, 01:19 PM
Hopkins to Hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbyfan View Post
I was actually filming the Marlies-Red Wings game last Friday for the teams, and it was my first chance to see Ho-Sang. To put it bluntly - he absolutely blew me away. True it was the Red Wings they were playing, but the Wings are a mid-tier team in the MM standings this year, so not a bad team (they actually have Claude Lemieux's son on the team).
I cover literally hundreds of games each year, and I can honestly say Ho-Sang is the most talented I've filmed in quite some time at that age. Incredible acceleration, vision, and his hands are as advertised.
One thing you'll notice about most kids at the Minor Midget age is they are still growing into their bodies. Ho-Sang had complete control of his movements, and it's like his stick was an extension of him, which you most definitely cannot say about most kids his age.

Anyway, the game was a 9-1 blowout, and I lost count how many points he had. But I'm impressed, and would pay the price of admission to go see Ho-Sang again. Just my 2 cents
Sounds like you have some video you need to share with us

Closed Thread