HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Phoenix Coyotes
Notices

Official Arizona Visitors Inquiry Thread (links on start page)

Old
10-21-2011, 02:16 PM
Tao Jones

vCash: 500
Pizzeria Bianco or La Piazza Al Forno?

Tao Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 03:05 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao Jones View Post
Both are excellent, but If you can only go to one, go to Bianco so you can say you've been. And to see what all the fuss is about.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 04:14 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tao Jones View Post
Bianco

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2011, 05:41 PM
Tao Jones

Thanks.

Bianco it is for lunch on Thursday and the Yard House for Happy Hour.

Tao Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 06:09 PM
OglethorpeBeatdown

Send a message via AIM to OglethorpeBeatdown
Alright, just one more question and then I should have it covered. Is the whole area free parking for games, unless otherwise noted? My friend in Anaheim said for Ducks games, some places won't say whether or not it's free parking and people will have their cars towed away. Looking forward to Thursday!

OglethorpeBeatdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 06:38 PM
IIHFjerseycollector

Send a message via AIM to IIHFjerseycollector
Quote:
Originally Posted by OglethorpeBeatdown View Post
Alright, just one more question and then I should have it covered. Is the whole area free parking for games, unless otherwise noted? My friend in Anaheim said for Ducks games, some places won't say whether or not it's free parking and people will have their cars towed away. Looking forward to Thursday!
as another poster suggested, just park in the Westgate parking lot( its free , i park here atleast 25 times a year when I go to games). cant miss it.

IIHFjerseycollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:12 PM
DisgruntledGoat

Hello, I'm back again. I have to say, this thread is awesome. I don't think any board does this better.

So, I've kind of nailed down our itinerary a little more, and am trying to decide where to stay. I've decided we'll also rent a car for the weekend.

Friday- Arrive around noon. Check into hotel, etc. Then I'd like to probably wander around the downtown (if that's worth doing) and maybe check out Pizza Bianco.

Saturday- I'm not sure how close Scotsdale is to Glendale. But my girlfriend wants to go to some outlet malls, and then into the arena for the game.

Sunday- Grand Canyon.

So what do you think? Would we be better off staying somewhere in Scotsdale, or in Phoenix?

Also, I have a couple free nights with Holiday Inn so I'd obviously like to stay there if its convenient.

I know that's a lot of info. Any suggestions, comments would be appreciated.

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 07:12 PM
DisgruntledGoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIHFjerseycollector View Post
as another poster suggested, just park in the Westgate parking lot( its free , i park here atleast 25 times a year when I go to games). cant miss it.
Dumb question, but is Westgate a mall?

DisgruntledGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 08:27 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
Dumb question, but is Westgate a mall?
Yes and no. It's an outdoor mall. The type that's popular here in AZ. Sort of like a strip mall turned inside out.

http://www.westgatecitycenter.com/

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-23-2011, 11:59 PM
Sinurgy
Embrace Passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
Hello, I'm back again. I have to say, this thread is awesome. I don't think any board does this better.

So, I've kind of nailed down our itinerary a little more, and am trying to decide where to stay. I've decided we'll also rent a car for the weekend.

Friday- Arrive around noon. Check into hotel, etc. Then I'd like to probably wander around the downtown (if that's worth doing) and maybe check out Pizza Bianco.

Saturday- I'm not sure how close Scotsdale is to Glendale. But my girlfriend wants to go to some outlet malls, and then into the arena for the game.

Sunday- Grand Canyon.

So what do you think? Would we be better off staying somewhere in Scotsdale, or in Phoenix?

Also, I have a couple free nights with Holiday Inn so I'd obviously like to stay there if its convenient.

I know that's a lot of info. Any suggestions, comments would be appreciated.
If you're going to have a car then where you stay won't matter all that much.

Sinurgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:00 AM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
You need a car to do anything here. There's just no way around it.
I think I read that it makes more sense to rent a car at a location that's not at the airport. Is that correct?

OthmarAmmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:42 AM
kihekah19

Quote:
Originally Posted by OthmarAmmann View Post
I think I read that it makes more sense to rent a car at a location that's not at the airport. Is that correct?
Yes, they have higher fees associated with rentals there and I believe additional taxes... to the tune of 38% (I checked with Enterprise), you would of course need to purchase transportation to a more remote location.

kihekah19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 12:07 PM
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihekah19 View Post
Yes, they have higher fees associated with rentals there and I believe additional taxes... to the tune of 38% (I checked with Enterprise), you would of course need to purchase transportation to a more remote location.
I think you may get hit with the additional taxes at any of the car rental places if you don't have an AZ drivers licenses and are renting for less than a week--suggesting you're in town on a short stay. At least that's the breakdown I got from one of my relatives last time they visited and looked into avoiding the taxes.

mouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 12:55 PM
kihekah19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser View Post
I think you may get hit with the additional taxes at any of the car rental places if you don't have an AZ drivers licenses and are renting for less than a week--suggesting you're in town on a short stay. At least that's the breakdown I got from one of my relatives last time they visited and looked into avoiding the taxes.
An Enterprise location outside the airport is telling me as long as you have a major credit card (of course) you can have an out of state license and still not have to pay the additonal taxes/tsa fees that you'd have at the airport.... I would be interested to hear how it works out (should you try it), as I had initially thought there was no way around it.

Old
10-25-2011, 02:18 PM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Thanks for your replies. Given my short stay of two nights and my arrival time of after 8:00 PM, the difference is probably worth the convenience of grabbing the car at the airport.

Old
10-25-2011, 02:30 PM
kihekah19

Quote:
Thanks for your replies. Given my short stay of two nights and my arrival time of after 8:00 PM, the difference is probably worth the convenience of grabbing the car at the airport.
You're welcome.... it shouldn't hurt any more than those $90.00 cab rides I have to take into your NYC from Newark!

Of course I have to take 'em back out again too...

Old
10-25-2011, 02:34 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
You're welcome.... it shouldn't hurt any more than those $90.00 cab rides I have to take into your NYC from Newark!

Of course I have to take 'em back out again too...
New Jersey Transit is the way to go, my friend. Round trip from Trenton to Penn Station and back is less than $25.

PhoPhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 02:44 PM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoPhan View Post
New Jersey Transit is the way to go, my friend. Round trip from Trenton to Penn Station and back is less than $25.
I agree, but there the bus to Port Authority will be quicker if it's a time of day with light road traffic and spotty train service (Sunday evening for example).

NJ Transit to Trenton? That sounds painful, and not only because of the destination!

Old
10-25-2011, 03:09 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
I agree, but there the bus to Port Authority will be quicker if it's a time of day with light road traffic and spotty train service (Sunday evening for example).

NJ Transit to Trenton? That sounds painful, and not only because of the destination!
I lived in the northeast suburbs of Philadelphia until a year or two ago, so my options to go to New York were a 20-minute ride to Trenton and a $25 ticket or a 40-minute ride to 30th Street Station and a $100 ticket, plus a longer train ride.

It was an easy call, even factoring in having to spend any amount of time in Trenton (or New Jersey, for that matter).

Old
10-25-2011, 06:25 PM
kihekah19

Quote:
Probably not near as convenient though?

Old
10-25-2011, 06:38 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
It depends where in New York you're going, but odds are the $5 ticket from Newark to New York plus whatever cab fare you pay from Penn Station to wherever you're going is going to be substantially less than $90. Personally speaking, the cab would have to save an awful lot of time to be worth the $60-70 difference. My time isn't worth all that much.

Old
10-25-2011, 07:18 PM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Quote:
It depends where in New York you're going, but odds are the $5 ticket from Newark to New York plus whatever cab fare you pay from Penn Station to wherever you're going is going to be substantially less than $90. Personally speaking, the cab would have to save an awful lot of time to be worth the $60-70 difference. My time isn't worth all that much.
It could be more convenient too. During rush hour I wouldn't even consider a cab. The only time I take a car to Newark is very late at night or very early in the morning. I also prefer flying out of La Guardia if possible.

So I basically found a deal on a flight and booked it, but now I have to figure out what I'm going to do and where I'm going to stay. I'll likely take in the Oilers game. I briefly skimmed this thread and read the wikitravel article but am still trying to figure out some things to do. I no longer golf for blood pressure and mental health reasons.

Any thoughts on hikes in the area? I noticed that there seems to be a number of national forests around the Phoenix metro area. Anything good? Don't see myself heading up to Sedona or Flagstaff unless the weather is decent.

I am also very much interested in southwestern cuisine. Any recommendations would be very much welcome.

Old
10-25-2011, 07:44 PM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Newark cab rides to the city are a total scam. The train is really convenient, and just as fast.

Only take cabs from JFK or LaGuardia.

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 07:52 PM
zz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Any thoughts on hikes in the area? I noticed that there seems to be a number of national forests around the Phoenix metro area. Anything good? Don't see myself heading up to Sedona or Flagstaff unless the weather is decent.
Weather is usually decent 99% of the time. The 90 minute drive to Oak Creek Canyon (Sedona) is worth it. It's really nice up there.

If you don't want to drive too much and do some desert hiking, the Boyce Thomson arboretum on the east side is very pretty. I take the kids up there every year on Thanksgiving week end. Not challenging, but pretty. Takes about 1 hour to walk the entire loop.

http://ag.arizona.edu/bta/

I also like Pinnacle Peak park in North Scottsdale.

http://g.co/maps/uwhck

Quote:
I am also very much interested in southwestern cuisine. Any recommendations would be very much welcome.
What price range are you thinking per person?

zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 08:05 PM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz View Post
Weather is usually decent 99% of the time. The 90 minute drive to Oak Creek Canyon (Sedona) is worth it. It's really nice up there.

If you don't want to drive too much and do some desert hiking, the Boyce Thomson arboretum on the east side is very pretty. I take the kids up there every year on Thanksgiving week end. Not challenging, but pretty. Takes about 1 hour to walk the entire loop.

http://ag.arizona.edu/bta/

I also like Pinnacle Peak park in North Scottsdale.

http://g.co/maps/uwhck
Thanks. Sedona sounds very appealing, but I'm also looking to stay warm. Despite growing up in Winnipeg I have developed this huge aversion to cold, and it's already getting to daytime highs below 50 in the forecast here. I'm probably up for a 90 minute drive and certainly up for desert hiking. The arboretum looks interesting. I'll look into Sedona some more.

Quote:
What price range are you thinking per person?
Anything. Hole in the wall and up. Only restriction is probably attire... I'll be packing light and casual, so wouldn't be able to do mandatory jacket or something like that. I'd happily sit in mud if the food is excellent, but if there's must-have southwestern with a $50 main I'd consider it (hopefully that main is a 28oz dry aged rib steak).