HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposal Thread XVIII

Closed Thread

Old
10-25-2011, 10:05 AM
Icelevel
Best Coaches Coach

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
Because obviously having Neil around is a bad thing? As evidenced by his play this year?

Neil should stay with the Sens for life. The guy is all heart and soul and he really wakes this team up when it needs waking up. I still don't understand why people ever talk badly about Neil. We know that he's never going to be a super talented player -- but he brings it night in and night out. He's great to have around in a rebuild.
picks and young players are more valuable to a rebuilding team than guys that won't be here when the rebuild is done.

Old
10-25-2011, 10:12 AM
SensFactor

I don't think trading Neil is the answer, he's way to valuable to Ottawa. Who else throws a decent bodycheck on the Sens?

He's a leader, sparkplug and NHL vet that has a lot to offer to any team. People have some hate for him when he's taking dumb penalties, but he plays hard every game and on a team thats young and a little soft to begin with, you don't trade a player like Chris Neil. We need him to stand-up for our skilled youth....Konopka is useless IMO.

We have plenty of other pieces that should be shipped out before Neil:
Kuba, Winchester, Lee, Gonchar, Carkner, Foligno i'd even use Regin as tradebait.

Next year we will need to make room for:
Silverberg, Zibby if he's ready, Daugvins if he's ready, Borowiecki and I also think Murray will go after a young UFA to add to the rebuild especially if we lose Alfie to retirement. I'd love to get Parise!, even if it maybe a long-shot.

Last edited by SensFactor: 10-25-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old
10-25-2011, 10:33 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWP View Post
picks and young players are more valuable to a rebuilding team than guys that won't be here when the rebuild is done.
A rebuild needs veterans and good influences as well. No matter how many picks we have we're never going to be able to fit all of our prospects on the team at once. If we trade Neil we're still going to need to bring in someone to fill the hole. Gifting spots to rookies is not the way to go especially when Neil has such a positive influence on the team.

Alfredsson won't be here when the rebuild is done why don't we trade him? Phillips and Anderson likely won't be sticking around either. We should just trade all our veterans for picks and prospects no?

Old
10-25-2011, 10:41 AM
SensFactor

Quote:
A rebuild needs veterans and good influences as well. No matter how many picks we have we're never going to be able to fit all of our prospects on the team at once. If we trade Neil we're still going to need to bring in someone to fill the hole. Gifting spots to rookies is not the way to go especially when Neil has such a positive influence on the team.

Alfredsson won't be here when the rebuild is done why don't we trade him? Phillips and Anderson likely won't be sticking around either. We should just trade all our veterans for picks and prospects no?
This

Old
10-25-2011, 10:45 AM
Brassknuckles

I think you keep Neil here for 2 reasons.

Someone has to protect the young guys and let them feel comfortable out on the ice.

You want to build a team identity that includes a lot of Neil's best attributes.
* Finish your checks
* Play hard
* Stick up for each other on the ice.

I'm sure that the players noticed as much as we the fans did, that Neil's game play was able to turn the team around in a couple of our wins this year.

Old
10-25-2011, 11:05 AM
German Senator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfieforever11 View Post
We will never trade Kuba for anything more than a 5th 2013 pick. If we manage a trade at all. We are stuck with Gonchar.Neil is too valuable to the team at this point. Only guys I see that are tradable are Lee, Foligno and Winchester. Maybe Carkner.
Not if he continues his solid play this season. I think he has been our second best defenceman so far behind Karlsson. Kuba could fetch us at least a 3rd round pick, maybe a second because of the thin market for blueliners in the league. But i don´t see Murray dealing him before January. If a defenceman is moved before next year it´s probably Lee.

Old
10-25-2011, 11:17 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

Supposedly both Tampa and Montreal are looking for a veteran player to go on the blueline. Kostitsyn is mentioned as a player that's available.

I would do Gonchar for Kostitsyn in a heartbeat, but I doubt something like that comes to fruition.

Old
10-25-2011, 12:17 PM
kyle747

Quote:
Not at all. The best way to teach young players to be successful is in a winning NHL environment. Sacrificing that leads to becoming EDM STL FLA CBJ or some other team rife with futility. Losing wears on players.

Keeping good NHL players that are competent at their position, which Neil certainly is, can only lead to a positive environment for those same young players.

Who's to say Neil won't be around in a year or two or three when we are back competing for the cup? He's playing some great hockey right now. I'd gladly keep Neil and miss out on a pick.

-------------------------

Note: Kuba = contract year

Old
10-25-2011, 12:39 PM
TeamRenzo

Quote:

I couldn't have said it better.

Old
10-25-2011, 12:54 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Supposedly both Tampa and Montreal are looking for a veteran player to go on the blueline. Kostitsyn is mentioned as a player that's available.

I would do Gonchar for Kostitsyn in a heartbeat, but I doubt something like that comes to fruition.
I dont think they'd be looking for someone like Gonchar, not sure if I'd do that either. Gonchar is still putting up the points and hes a very good offensive player. He's been playing better lately and could be anywhere from our best to our 3rd best dman.

Old
10-25-2011, 12:54 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:

Gonchar for Cammi?

They don't seem to like him in Montreal for some reason.

Old
10-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Minister of Offence

If Montreal plucked off our roster, I don't think it's doing them any good.

Old
10-25-2011, 01:57 PM
Ice-Tray

Quote:
In my opinion this is completely FALSE. This tactic works in video games for sure, as you sim through 3 rebuild seasons, but in the real world all of these young players have to play with some vets so that:

a) they can be insulated from being constantly dominated by top players
b) they can have role models for ALL of the important roles on the team (offence, defence, work ethic, toughness)
c) reassurance during difficult times
d) instilling a teams sense of history and pride
e) they can be protected from being taken advantage of physically
f)

It would be nice if the vets were still around and had a spot when the team is on the rise again, but the older guys on the team know that their primary role at present is to guide the young players into filling the teams needed roles by displaying all of the virtues needed, while ensuring that we stay somewhat competitive.

This is the reason why the team gets rid of any distraction type players, and keeps only the guys that they think the young players will benefit from being around.

Neil is this type of player, and is as important for the rebuild as Alfie is in my opinion. They are both the perfect role models for the roles that they play, and both never stop working hard.

Get rid of Neil because we have Kramer in the WHL?

Old
10-25-2011, 02:00 PM
Ice-Tray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassknuckles View Post
I think you keep Neil here for 2 reasons.

Someone has to protect the young guys and let them feel comfortable out on the ice.

You want to build a team identity that includes a lot of Neil's best attributes.
* Finish your checks
* Play hard
* Stick up for each other on the ice.

I'm sure that the players noticed as much as we the fans did, that Neil's game play was able to turn the team around in a couple of our wins this year.
This...

Quote:

And this...

It's like having a big brother to look up to and protect you

Old
10-25-2011, 02:17 PM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

Feaster open to offers for Rene Bourque as per Dreger's Twitter. Could be a good player to bring in to Ottawa. Could play on our second line for sure.

Old
10-25-2011, 02:19 PM
nanuuq
HFBoards Sponsor

I agree with all the comments about keeping vets.
As with anything, you need to have role models and tutors..

As for trades, i don't see anything happening until the trade deadline.
I wholely expect Kuba to be moved then for a good pick as D men will be in demand. We may even be able to move gonchar!

10-25-2011, 02:26 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
Gonchar for Cammi?

They don't seem to like him in Montreal for some reason.
I think if we added Cowen and a 2nd theyd take it. I'm not looking to make that trade though.

Old
10-25-2011, 03:08 PM
Sens Mile

Quote:

I have wanted to aquire Kostitsyn for awhile, he will only be 27 at the end of the year and would jump at the chance for trying to get him on an extension immedietley after January 1st to a 4 year commitment. He would fit in so well with the team and good wingers are so elusive. I would do a trade like

To Ottawa: Kostitsyn

To Montreal: Kuba and a conditional pick (something like a 6th mandatory that can move to a 4th on thr 2013 draft)

Old
10-25-2011, 03:20 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

They wouldn't move Andrei for that.

My proposal was Lee and our 2012 2nd rounder. I think that is pretty fair value.

Old
10-25-2011, 03:21 PM
GoSensGo765
GO SENS GO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Mile View Post
I have wanted to aquire Kostitsyn for awhile, he will only be 27 at the end of the year and would jump at the chance for trying to get him on an extension immedietley after January 1st to a 4 year commitment. He would fit in so well with the team and good wingers are so elusive. I would do a trade like

To Ottawa: Kostitsyn

To Montreal: Kuba and a conditional pick (something like a 6th mandatory that can move to a 4th on thr 2013 draft)
Interesting, but Habs say no dice to that.

Old
10-25-2011, 03:37 PM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post
Interesting, but Habs say no dice to that.
Most Habs fans would get rid of Kostitsyn for a bag of pucks. They would reluctantly accept Kuba and a pick at this point with all the injuries.

Old
10-25-2011, 03:42 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Aveuglette View Post
Most Habs fans would get rid of Kostitsyn for a bag of pucks. They would reluctantly accept Kuba and a pick at this point with all the injuries.
Errrm no. I'm doubtful that they'd trade him for less than a 1st and an okay prospect. If they deal him, they're getting an okay top 4 DMan back.

Old
10-25-2011, 03:49 PM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
Errrm no. I'm doubtful that they'd trade him for less than a 1st and an okay prospect. If they deal him, they're getting an okay top 4 DMan back.
Yeah well, Kuba has been an "okay" dman so far this season, hasn't he?

Old
10-25-2011, 03:51 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
I seriously doubt Kostitsyn would bring back a first, he just isn't an impact player.

Old
10-25-2011, 03:58 PM
wubwubwubwub
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
I seriously doubt Kostitsyn would bring back a first, he just isn't an impact player.
Well he's definitely an impact player when he's on. He's also scored 20+ goals in every season where he's played over 60 games (3 of 4 years). He's easily a 45-55 point guy, he hits, he can break a game open... They're a team that can't score and he's a lock for 20 goals. He's their 2nd or 3rd best goal scorer. They wont trade him, and I dont think they'd do it for a late 1st either. If they deal him, its for immediate help or its way later in the year. They have no reason to trade Kostitsyn for a guy who might not even be in their line up when all of Markov, Subban, Gill, Gorges, Campoli and Spacek are healthy. Besides maybe Spacek, all those guys bump both Lee and Kuba. If they make a trade involving Kostitsyn, they'll either get a 1st + Prospect, a DMan to bump Campoli and Gill/Gorges out of the (healthy) top 4, or they'll package him for a better forward.

Closed Thread