HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Stick Durability

Old
10-25-2011, 02:39 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Stick Durability

So I just broke my stick in last night's game, and I'm getting seriously tired of spending $100 on a stick just to have it break after a handful of games. I know that all sticks vary and you're not going to find a stick that lasts years, but does anyone have any recommendations on durable sticks? For what it's worth, I'm 5'8, 165lbs, looking for a flex of about 85-95, and a lefty, if that matters at all.

Also, I did try a 2 piece for a while, thought this would be a great idea...unfortunately, I snapped that shaft right in half as well...

It seems that the Warrior Bandito has gotten good reviews and is very reasonably priced ($89 on hockeygiant), which is right in my price range.

If any of the stick gurus have any advice, it would be much appreciated.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 02:54 PM
kravjitsu

Try an Easton ST

kravjitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 03:04 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Really? I've heard nothing but poor reviews on Eastons, can you give any insight as to your experiences with the stick? I'm trying to weigh my options as best as possible and make an informed decision.

Thanks!

Old
10-25-2011, 03:04 PM
OvenChicken8

Bauer One95 seem to have good durability and since they are last years news they seem to be reasonably priced now too.

OvenChicken8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 03:17 PM
Pog Form

If you don't mind using a heavier stick, the low-end Warriors can take a beating.

Pog Form is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 03:22 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pog Form View Post
If you don't mind using a heavier stick, the low-end Warriors can take a beating.
I actually like a relatively heavy stick...I don't take too many slapshots and mainly rely on a pretty heavy wrist shot, but it seems like the shafts break on my sticks quite regularly, much more than the blade.

Old
10-25-2011, 03:32 PM
Pog Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVPOLARBEARS19 View Post
I actually like a relatively heavy stick...I don't take too many slapshots and mainly rely on a pretty heavy wrist shot, but it seems like the shafts break on my sticks quite regularly, much more than the blade.
I've broken I think three Warriors and all of them have been at or near the blade.

On average, they last me about a year, playing 2-4 times per week. Not bad for about $90.

Pog Form is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 03:48 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pog Form View Post
I've broken I think three Warriors and all of them have been at or near the blade.

On average, they last me about a year, playing 2-4 times per week. Not bad for about $90.
Ok great, that is definitely some good info. I'm definitely leaning towards the Warrior Bandito. Has anyone used that before?

Old
10-25-2011, 03:50 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

How are you breaking sticks?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 04:22 PM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by kravjitsu View Post
Try an Easton ST
Yeah, I thought the same and I have one. No way you're breaking an ST.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 05:26 PM
hyster110

it also depends on the quality of the sticks you buy, i have a vapor 40 that has lasted me well over 2 years and it has taken a beating. if your the kind of player that throws out reckless stick slashes and is hard on your stick, or course they break. what kind of hockey do you play? if its rec i don't know why your breaking them so easily

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 06:02 PM
r3cc0s

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyster110 View Post
it also depends on the quality of the sticks you buy, i have a vapor 40 that has lasted me well over 2 years and it has taken a beating. if your the kind of player that throws out reckless stick slashes and is hard on your stick, or course they break. what kind of hockey do you play? if its rec i don't know why your breaking them so easily
stick durablity appears to be a subjective term... and most people who I see break their sticks are the result of:

#1 - chipped blade from face off or being stepped on by skates
#2 - bad slash from an incredibly aggressive player
#3 - Slappers, usually during pre-practice warmups where people have the time to fully wind up

If you play shinny, or mid-level non-contact, I don't think there is a "quality" stick out there that shouldn't last...

the only stick I've detonated were crappy low-level CCMs, Vics... so I've now bought mid->high level sticks and haven't had a problem.

I don't know if there is truth to this, but I think that appropiate flex for your height and weight also ensures a level of durability...

I have had a old RM19 stick 85 flex w/ a 5.5 deg upright for a long time and it still plays great as a lightweight shinny stick, though the blade has became soft

My Easton ST 100 flex is heavier and also gives me a heavier shot, but is a solid constant performer...

One is built for duabilty, one for lightness/agility, and they've both lasted me at least 80ish games

r3cc0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 06:50 PM
kravjitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVPOLARBEARS19 View Post
Really? I've heard nothing but poor reviews on Eastons, can you give any insight as to your experiences with the stick? I'm trying to weigh my options as best as possible and make an informed decision.

Thanks!
The reason i bought the easton st was because i had broke 2 reeboks in the matter of 3 weeks. I looked around and found the ST had the best reviews for a durable stick so i bought one. I've been using the ST 2 piece for awhile now and its been great. My only complaint is it is a little on the heavy side, but if im not breaking a $130 stick every 2-3 weeks i dont care.

Old
10-25-2011, 06:57 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Thanks for the feedback guys. Right now, I play in 2 beer leagues. The first beer league is on a pretty high level, where most players played at least club college hockey, and a decent amount higher than that. It is a true "A" division men's league (if that exists...). The league is pretty physical despite being non-contact, and there's a lot of stick work.

The other league is a much slower league with generally slower players. I'm much more skilled than the vast majority of the league and because of that I get hacked a lot. I put a lot of weight into my wrist shots and lean heavily on the stick to generate some whip. I think the problem may have been that the stick wasn't a high enough flex, but I'm not really sure.

I'd say it's a mix of playing some pretty competitive, chippy hockey, getting hacked a lot, and putting a lot of weight into my shots. I think that 3 out of the last 4 sticks I broke snapped right in half.

Old
10-25-2011, 07:07 PM
ponder

My Easton ST has been as durable as advertised. Performance is pretty mediocre, I rarely use it anymore, but I used to use it a tonne and was very hard on it, and it never broke. Most people find them to be super durable, and if you can find one of the 2009 models in your curve/flex (silver/blue in non grip, silver/red in grip, not black/red like the new ones) then you can get them relatively cheap, like around $100 or so (at least thats what I got mine on sale for, and that was quite awhile ago).

My 85 flex ST, to me, felt stiffer than your average 85 flex stick, but I've used a 75 and every bit as whippy as your average 75, so not sure exactly what to say about the flex.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 07:13 PM
kravjitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post

My 85 flex ST, to me, felt stiffer than your average 85 flex stick, but I've used a 75 and every bit as whippy as your average 75, so not sure exactly what to say about the flex.
Weird my ST is 100 flex and i think its a lot more whippy than a normal 100.

Old
10-25-2011, 07:14 PM
nullterm

My Sherwood 5030 Composite has taken a beating. The wood decal from butt to toe is chipped everywhere exposing the black composite under. But other than that it still works just as good as the day I bought it. Used it for a couple years (winter and summer) and put it in storage for the last year using Easton 2-pieces (one of which I've broken already). Well, out it comes and using it again.

Not a high end stick, but sturdy as heck.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 07:19 PM
AIREAYE

You'd do well to go with the ST, much better price point for price point. If you can't find that guy, perhaps look for the CCM Crazy Strong, a bit pricier since it's a new introduction.

Like others have mentioned, failing that, entry level sticks have more fibreglass in their construction, a generally more durable material.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 07:52 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
You'd do well to go with the ST, much better price point for price point. If you can't find that guy, perhaps look for the CCM Crazy Strong, a bit pricier since it's a new introduction.

Like others have mentioned, failing that, entry level sticks have more fibreglass in their construction, a generally more durable material.
Thank you. I will definitely look into the ST and see if I can find something that works. Has anyone used the Warrior Bandito for comparison? I've heard good things.

Old
10-25-2011, 07:59 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Oh and real quick, since I'm stick illiterate, Easton ST means the Stealth model...right?

Old
10-25-2011, 08:03 PM
Pez68
Fire Quenneville

It's just called Easton Synergy ST. They are black with some orange and white on them.

Pez68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 08:05 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Ah ok, thanks.

Old
10-25-2011, 08:10 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

In your case, I would check out Harrow sticks. A 2-piece stick will be about the same balance and performance of an ST but you can replace the blades and shafts as needed and save in the long run. A buddy of mine was going through a couple Dolomites each season and switched and has been on the same stick for two years. The blade still looks new. I used a couple for the last couple years and they looked new when I sold them. Really tough.

They go for $140 but you can Google and find 20% off codes.

For sticks breaking...I've broken one really high end stick in practice on a slapper otherwise I don't break them. I don't lean way into my sticks and take lots of ice on slappers though. I'm still using my X60 from 40 games ago and it's holding up great, fingers crossed.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 08:17 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Hmm, this will be tough. I haven't been able to find an Easton ST from 2009 for less than $149.99 yet. Reading the reviews it does look pretty durable. I will keep searching though, and thanks Jarick on the advice on the Harrow's, I'll check them out too.

Old
10-25-2011, 08:33 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

OP you should try out eBay. I got my ST for about $130 there. If you can't find it, try searching for a seller called jauction (I think) and search his item list.

How have you been breaking your sticks though? I just got a Dolomite DD, now I'm kinda worried I'll snap it at some point

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote