HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Shrine for Bob

Old
10-25-2011, 12:41 PM
HabsRealist

vCash: 500
Shrine for Bob

I think a shrine should be raised for Mr. Gainey. After all, there are so many for the creation of the team, one should be for the utter dismantling of it.

Whether it was high draft picks for Tanguay or Lang, terrible drafting year after year, or was really $ 7.5 million of our team tied up for this crumby 4th liner.

C Scott Gomez 6 0 1 1 -1

Bob should be rewarded for his incredible work.

Now get rid of Gauthier and hire the best person available, not the best french canadian available unless they are the same person.

I hope we lose every game this year and get a top pick, someone to watch for 10-12 years. And send Gomez down already to Hamilton so he can float around and smile down there while cashing his cheques !!

HabsRealist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 12:48 PM
Andy

Tanguay and Lang were are best players for the time that they were here and the so called worst drafting has yielded players everyone constantly *****es about being gone. We have people cry endlessly about Sergei, D'agostini, Latendresse, Lapierre, Grabovski, Streit, O'byrne etc, but yet these are the same people that whine that drafting was bad.

He wasn't God, but he brought respect to the piece of crap he inherited.

Also you are taking things out of context. He traded draft picks for players after the year we finished first and everyone expected us to be a contender. he did what every other GM who contends does. Chiarelli did the same last year, traded a bunch of assets for complimentary players, it just happened to work in his case.

Last edited by Andy: 10-25-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 12:52 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRealist View Post
I think a shrine should be raised for Mr. Gainey. After all, there are so many for the creation of the team, one should be for the utter dismantling of it.

Whether it was high draft picks for Tanguay or Lang, terrible drafting year after year, or was really $ 7.5 million of our team tied up for this crumby 4th liner.

C Scott Gomez 6 0 1 1 -1

Now get rid of Gauthier and hire the best person available, not the best french canadian available unless they are the same person.

I hope we lose every game this year and get a top pick, someone to watch for 10-12 years. And send Gomez down already to Hamilton so he can float around and smile down there while cashing his cheques !!
I don't think you're being fair here. Gainey actually did a pretty decent job for his first few years here and he had the guts to draft Price knowing he'd be ripped for it. After his personal tragedy he seemed to go off the rails a bit and a lot of the moves near the end of his tenure didn't make sense. Personally, I sympathize with the guy as he had other things going on in his life that probably distracted him from his duties as GM.

And as much as I didn't feel that he rebuilt aggressively enough, he can't be blamed for guys like Komi, Higgins and others just dropping off the face of the earth the way they did. I mean seriously, what happened to those guys?

Bob may not have been our best GM and his last few months here sucked but he's far from the worst GM we've had. And if Price ever leads us to a cup (and here's hoping to God that he does) then Bob can claim some credit for it.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 12:55 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

I'm not saying Gainey turned crap into gold... I'm not sure what he turned the crap into, but those who forgot how ****** this team was when Gainey took over are a sad bunch.

Gainey did much more good than he did bad. Is it time for a change of mentality? Maybe.

But Gainey was a great captain for this team. And as GM, he put some good teams together that lacked top-end talent but that had depth and at least some talent, compared to the laughing stock that the Habs were a few years before. The man deserves respect.

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 12:59 PM
Aznrx8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Tanguay and Lang were are best players for the time that they were here and the so called worst drafting has yielded players everyone constantly *****es about being gone. We have people cry endlessly about Sergei, D'agostini, Latendresse, Lapierre, Grabovski, Streit, O'byrne etc, but yet these are the same people that whine that drafting was bad.

Also you are taking things out of context. He traded draft picks for players after the year we finished first and everyone expected us to be a contender. he did what every other GM who contends does. Chiarelli did the same last year, traded a bunch of assets for complimentary players, it just happened to work in his case.
Agreed. And he even brought Kovalev. A lot of people might hate him but he did produce in Montreal especially the season where he got 84 points. Watching the Habs now after he left is quite.... boring ? Except for the few Subban rush

Aznrx8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 02:41 PM
Metropolitsky
Still 4x more cups

Selective memory at his best

Metropolitsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 04:18 PM
HTTP 400 Bad Request

vCash: 3622
Quote:
This. He was exactly what this franchise needed at that time. He brought back respect from the league, the players and the fans.

The OP didn't mention the Kovalev trade, for obvious bashing reasons. Not only did he got him for cheap, he also achieved to get the best of him, turning him into an icon for this city.

The problem wasn't Gainey's reign, he gave his best during 5 years and gave us some pretty entertaining seasons. The problem is that he also decided what was to happen for the next 5 years by not resigning Koivu, trading for Gomez and signing Gionta and Cammalleri long term.

I do think he should have left during the summer, after firing his coach and friend Carbonneau. The timing would have been perfect.

But then again, we can think all this was decided way before, and he actually served as a sort of cover while Gauthier was already taking the decisions, hiring his friend Martin as head coach and changing the face of the franchise. But that's speculation.

HTTP 400 Bad Request is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 04:43 PM
terreur

vCash: 50
Quote:

LOL!!!! This is gold. It's incredible how some people always change their minds depending on the subject...
I bet that MaxPac's biggest fans are the ones that said he was a flop and that Esposito was the next great one

terreur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 04:46 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

considering everyone seems to put BG and PG eras as one, i hope this thread gets moved, to one of many management threads, considering the childish sarcasm used to bash Gainey.

This board makes Leaf fans look rational.

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 04:47 PM
m00ks

Quote:

Good post. I was wondering who this Andy poster was till I read your signature.

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 04:51 PM
ashtraygirl

Lang was playing amazing for us before he got injured.

ashtraygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 04:53 PM
Protest the Hero

Get over it.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 04:54 PM
Kirk Muller

Gainey was an average GM in his time here. Some good some bad like most GMs.

My biggest gripe about Gainey is him fully knowing he was stepping aside and not allowing a future GM to rebuild this team. Instead, he hung them with HUGE contracts and basically wiped his hands clean. Gainey isnt a coward but that was a cowardly move.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 04:56 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post

My biggest gripe about Gainey is him fully knowing he was stepping aside and not allowing a future GM to rebuild this team. Instead, he hung them with HUGE contracts and basically wiped his hands clean. Gainey isnt a coward but that was a cowardly move.
On the premise that you have not one clue of how much those decisions were influenced by PG himself, your speculation is laughable.

Old
10-25-2011, 05:04 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
On the premise that you have not one clue of how much those decisions were influenced by PG himself, your speculation is laughable.
Unless I'm confused about what you're saying, it sounds like you are the one speculating.

Quote:

Gainey didn't step down right after making those moves. He rebuilt this team, the team wasn't doing too good, and he decided it was time. That's fair, in my opinion. At least he gave it one more chance before taking off. I guess you could make a point that he should have left after his 5-years plan ended so pathetically (we got good hockey over that period, but the fact that he let everyone walk away is a pretty bad disavow about his own work) though.

Old
10-25-2011, 05:11 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:

C Scott Gomez 6 0 1 1 -1

Oh yea terrible drafting. Under his reign, players were picked late that would NOW go in their 1st round. But yea let's **** on the guy.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 05:13 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
Unless I'm confused about what you're saying, it sounds like you are the one speculating.

Gainey didn't step down right after making those moves. He rebuilt this team, the team wasn't doing too good, and he decided it was time. That's fair, in my opinion. At least he gave it one more chance before taking off. I guess you could make a point that he should have left after his 5-years plan ended so pathetically (we got good hockey over that period, but the fact that he let everyone walk away is a pretty bad disavow about his own work) though.
PG was assistant GM 3 years prior to the "big move". i would think he had some kind of say in all that, you know he was his assistant.

Old
10-25-2011, 05:17 PM
Teufelsdreck

Not everything Bob Gainey did was bad. I'll mention 4 things that worked out well (there were others, of course):

* Trading Jozef Balej for Alex Kovalev, who figured importantly in eliminating the heavily favored Bruins in the first round of the 2004 playoffs

* Trading José Theodore for Cristobal Huet and Radek Bonk

* Trading Craig Rivet for Josh Gorges plus a draft choice that landed Max Pacioretty

* Drafting Carey Price

As a GM, Gainey was better than Réjean Houle as well as Serge Savard and he handled the embarrassing Brisebois affair quite well.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 05:17 PM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
PG was assistant GM 3 years prior to the "big move". i would think he had some kind of say in all that, you know he was his assistant.
I get that. But isn't that speculation?

Old
10-25-2011, 05:23 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
I get that. But isn't that speculation?
One can assume some comunication exists between a GM and their assistant. If you can assume that, you can assume there is (even if very minimal) influence (due to the existing communication) in any decision, were cummunication was present. So no, pointing out that PG had SOME kind of influence, wethere its 1% or 70%, is NOT speculation.

On the other hand, saying BG created this "mess" by himself, and let PG "responsible for the mess" because BG is a coward, is speculation.

Old
10-25-2011, 07:28 PM
habsjunkie2*

I thought senile Bob was a pretty bad gm if I'm to be completely honest, but I don't think this thread was necessary. I find it kind of insulting and I wasn't a fan BG's work.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 07:37 PM
AntonCH

Quote:

C Scott Gomez 6 0 1 1 -1

WoW emo much?
so much fail in this post
Tanguay was a decent pick up
Lang was arguably our best player when he went down

AntonCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 07:42 PM
Whitesnake
Year of the Snake

Quote:

Well that's about it Andy. In Chiarelli's case....IT JUST HAPPENED TO WORK. End-results, only way it matters. 'Cause I tell you, I might have to work really hard....but I probably can try to sell you how every move Milbury made was also with the idea that it could work well. As dumb as he is, pretty sure he didn't really try to screw that franchise up. Now, I'm OBVIOUSLY not comparing both guys, just that when you really have a desire to defend somebody, you can.

I don't think that people who thought that the draft was bad is really THAT separate to Gainey's work. The fact that he send those guys away or the fact that those guys didn't create as much as the org. thought they'd be, made some people think that the draft was really bad after all......until they saw how they would do somewhere else.

By the way though, the players you named on your list.....nobody could have thought that those guys were bad selections....they were way too low in the drafts so that people would matter about it. Frankly, and I'M part of that, most people are talking about 1st round selections as far as Timmins is concerned.

As far as draft picks are concerned, yes, some were given to acquire good players....yet, you can't ALWAYS give out 2nd rounders and never keep the players you acquire for more than half of year. Lang was indeed doing a fine job with us....but was he doing it based on how great he was? Or based on how pathetic our offense was? 65 big points our #1 scorer got that year. Yet, he did a fine job.....something which Grabovski would do for us last year....this year and for years to come.

But no. They were all cancers and just had to go. To which I AGAIN ask....how many teams had just half of the players that HAD to go like we did? I believe that cancers that have to go or addition by substraction are just formulas to make people feel better but in reality....even if you really have to let some people go, you should still be able to put them front stage, make them produce, and then ship them out. 'Cause it's often not who you trade....it's you get for. Anyway, you know my point on this. Gainey was not bad. But he CLEARLY was not great like some wanted us to believe. I'd personnally call him average. Average based on the fact that while the Houle's mess started with Savard, Gainey continue on that road and made us a better team. But a team he DESTROYED after his 5-year plan didn't work, to make up a total different team, team that we have in front of our eyes right now. And going back to my premise....we are still waiting for end-results.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 07:55 PM
TheultimateHabsFan

Wow to people around here have short memories. Just because the team is doing poorly, I know it's the Montreal way, does not mean that Gainey should be bashed. If you think this team is bad? Remember the team before Gainey inherited it. We have all the skill and talent we just aren't capitalizing on it. Gainey brought a team in shambles back to credibility, gave us hope and a future. Was he perfect? No... but nobody is. However the accomplishments and the work he did for this team should not be tarnished because people have short lived memories. Do you even remember the team that finished 1st in the east? or the fact that the year after he tried to fix all our flaws and we iced an amazing team that could have won the cup if not for the shambles that happened within the locker room. We should not bash Gainey, but thank him for at least giving us a team to cheer for and watch when times were rough. The habs will bounce back, they are too talented not too, don't put your frustration on a guy who bled blue blanc rouge especially after all the painful things that happened during his tenure.

TheultimateHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 08:04 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Seeing as he was the GM at the time, the ultimate decision is his. So you are speculating more than anyone.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote