HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Curve Questions

Old
10-25-2011, 05:38 PM
hyster110

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeChris View Post
All these kids and there damn need for curve sticks. If you go with a light curve you learn to shoot the puck harder because it takes more strength to get it up. You learn to stickhandle better because it takes more ability to toedrag. You develop qualities better and keep progressing. With a curve... the blade does all the work for you. Not to mention with a curve like a Sakic you don't get a very good backhand. With a straighter curve you have a forehand AND a backhand. Backhands are the most underrated skills to have in hockey. Imagine if your backhand was as good as your forehand.... you'd be a goal scoring machine I promise you that. Ask any goalie what the harder shot is to stop: the forehand or the backhand? He will say the backhand EVERY TIME.

That's just me though... I'd rather use a Zetterberg than a Sakic or Ovechkin curve.
as would i but i heard a radio interview recently with a a former pro and he was of the firm opinion that kids should start with bigger curve because it is easier to shoot with, allow them to develop shooting technique early and help them make it easier to shoot. that and alot of players i know are shying away from the straight curves, and using bigger curves like the sakic and the drury ( and their equivalents)

hyster110 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 09:11 AM
sqweaf*

Bobby Ryan curve!!! Straighter curve with a curled toe. Best of both worlds.
Nice slapper, wrister and great backhand with it!
Sherwood 5030 composite. Best stick I've had and I have had a lot.

When I play net I like a rounded curve because its obviously easier to get the puck high wearing a blocker and trapper.

sqweaf* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 02:17 AM
Kulluminati

Hey guys, I ended up chosing the Warrior Widow with a Kopitar curve, I'm about 5'9" or so and weigh only 155lbs (last time I checked) so I chose a 75 flex, also the widow is freakishly long so incase i have to cut it the stick it wont be too stiff. I intend to get in the gym and beef up but school wears me out enough so I don't see that happening until April when school is out.

The reebok a.i.9 or what ever its called felt good too, but I've had bad luck with reebok in the past and have never owned a Warrior product before so was willing to give it a try, also heard they make pretty durable stuff according to reviews i read online.

Funny enough this will be the first stick I will be using that has less than 100 flex since I was 14 (20 now), I'm sure I will see a huge improvement in my shot with the whippyness, especially since I rarely do any clappers and tend to stick to wristers and snap shots.

Kulluminati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 08:19 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Wow, I'm 5'8 190 and use a 70 flex. Yeah I'm guessing you'll see some improvements!

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 09:07 AM
AIREAYE

@Kulluminati : Definitely you'll notice a huge improvement, and the good thing about the Widow is that Warrior (mimicking Easton) allows that extra 3" to be cut without affecting the flex. Also, due to the ultra-low kickpoint on the Widow, you can even lop off another couple inches or so and the flex will remain the same. Good pickup

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 10:15 AM
Kulluminati

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
@Kulluminati : Definitely you'll notice a huge improvement, and the good thing about the Widow is that Warrior (mimicking Easton) allows that extra 3" to be cut without affecting the flex. Also, due to the ultra-low kickpoint on the Widow, you can even lop off another couple inches or so and the flex will remain the same. Good pickup
Oh thats awesome! I had no idea, well that makes me feel even better about my purchase, I ordered it to a cousin in the states off hockeymonkey who will be making the trip up here next week (stuff is so cheap there, its insane) I eagerly await my product

Old
11-08-2011, 02:10 PM
ComradeChris

vCash: 1004
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyster110 View Post
as would i but i heard a radio interview recently with a a former pro and he was of the firm opinion that kids should start with bigger curve because it is easier to shoot with, allow them to develop shooting technique early and help them make it easier to shoot. that and alot of players i know are shying away from the straight curves, and using bigger curves like the sakic and the drury ( and their equivalents)
I guess it's the chicken and the egg type of problem here. Knowing this I'd consider shifting back and forth between straight blades and highly curved ones to help you overcome a plateau when you reach one. Especially for stickhandling. I.E. Start with a straight stick and learn to toedrag; have difficulty performing the move faster after multiple attempts; switch to a higher curve and focus on the speed rather than the technique. Then do the same with other curves.

Of course this can present a financial problem, but it's the same type of thing as switching from a wood stick to a composite.

ComradeChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 02:16 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Probably the bigger reason to switch is if/when you start to really define your game and find something that helps it. For example, I was always a "shooter" and eventually got to using a Drury curve because it gave me really quick shots that went upstairs and beat goalies. I moved over to a Sakic curve as I started to dangle and pass a little more because of the flatter loft at the heel and more curve near the toe. That kind of thing.

Although I keep wanting to get a buddy of mine to try a Sakic curve because I think his shot would improve over his PM9.

Old
11-08-2011, 02:20 PM
ponder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulluminati View Post
Hey guys, I ended up chosing the Warrior Widow with a Kopitar curve, I'm about 5'9" or so and weigh only 155lbs (last time I checked) so I chose a 75 flex, also the widow is freakishly long so incase i have to cut it the stick it wont be too stiff. I intend to get in the gym and beef up but school wears me out enough so I don't see that happening until April when school is out.

The reebok a.i.9 or what ever its called felt good too, but I've had bad luck with reebok in the past and have never owned a Warrior product before so was willing to give it a try, also heard they make pretty durable stuff according to reviews i read online.

Funny enough this will be the first stick I will be using that has less than 100 flex since I was 14 (20 now), I'm sure I will see a huge improvement in my shot with the whippyness, especially since I rarely do any clappers and tend to stick to wristers and snap shots.
I noticed you said "in case I have to cut it." The Widow is 3" longer than most seniors, your average 5'9" player would probably be taking at least 7" or so off that thing. Stick length is personal preference to a certain degree, but there's absolutely no way you should leave that stick anywhere close to stock length. I'm 6' tall, take 2" off normal sticks, so would take 5" off a Widow. I'm guessing you were gonna cut it regardless, but a lot of people leave their sticks way to long to the detriment of their stick handling and shooting so you never know

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Cutting a stick is always going to affect how much effort you have to put in to flex it, it's simple physics, you have less mechanical advantage with a shorter shaft. The effect is a bit less with a low kick stick like the Widow, but it's there regardless. Really this is just a load of marketing B.S. by Warrior, if you look more closely into the claim it's simply that they've measured the flex of the stick at 60", instead of the full 63". So at 75 flex Widow is rated as a 75 flex at 60", if you use it at 63" it will feel whippier than a 75.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 02:24 PM
AIREAYE

^ I think you posted a picture over at MSH, do you still have it to show the mechanics?

Old
11-08-2011, 02:26 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

No need for any physics or equations though; just grab the stick where you would cut it off and give it a BIT of flex in the store. Tells you all you need to know.

Old
11-08-2011, 02:49 PM
AIREAYE

Some people are visual learners aaaand we're getting off topic. ahem.
Don't ban me :|

Old
11-08-2011, 03:22 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Haha I have no power here

Also, I think I posted before I saw your reply. A lot of guys put too much thought into it, wondering how much stiffer it gets when you cut a stick down, what flex, etc...just measure out how long the stick would be after cutting and then grab it there and flex.

Old
11-08-2011, 09:47 PM
Kulluminati

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I noticed you said "in case I have to cut it." The Widow is 3" longer than most seniors, your average 5'9" player would probably be taking at least 7" or so off that thing. Stick length is personal preference to a certain degree, but there's absolutely no way you should leave that stick anywhere close to stock length. I'm 6' tall, take 2" off normal sticks, so would take 5" off a Widow. I'm guessing you were gonna cut it regardless, but a lot of people leave their sticks way to long to the detriment of their stick handling and shooting so you never know
Yea I know I'm gonna cut it but my past sticks which have mainly been easton seniors, I have left at stock length. I prefer that length for some reason and have become very accustom to it, so if you say the warrior is 3 inches longer, than thats all i expect to cut off.

Old
11-13-2011, 01:45 PM
Kulluminati

Some BS happened with my order and they messed it up, basically I have to re-order my product, but they sent me a 10% off coupon. I recently got the chance to mess around with my friends new APX at a shinny game and its awesome, very awesome, I'm gonna get it instead. However when I was choosing a curve I noticed they have 2 backstrom curves (apparently the closest to the Sakic) one has a lie of 6 the other of 5, the sakic curve I'm accustom to is 5.5...so I dont know which to get, any input would be greatly appreciated. Oh and im 5'9" for reference.

Old
11-13-2011, 02:45 PM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Haha I have no power here

Also, I think I posted before I saw your reply. A lot of guys put too much thought into it, wondering how much stiffer it gets when you cut a stick down, what flex, etc...just measure out how long the stick would be after cutting and then grab it there and flex.
it works out to about 3 flex per every inch you increase or decrease yout stick length.

so for example, a 102 flex stick, if you add 2 inches, it would drop down to a 96 flex (102-6)

if you cit it down two inches it would be roughly a 108 flex stick

Old
11-13-2011, 07:37 PM
kr580
HF's Minecraft Guy

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
it works out to about 3 flex per every inch you increase or decrease yout stick length.

so for example, a 102 flex stick, if you add 2 inches, it would drop down to a 96 flex (102-6)

if you cit it down two inches it would be roughly a 108 flex stick
One thing to keep in mind is that mid-kick (standard) sticks will be more affected by cutting down or adding an extension than the low-kick (tapered) sticks. Since the kick point on the tapered sticks are farther from the top of the shaft it won't be as dramatic of a change. My One95 77 Flex (standard) is marked 8 flex points for every 2 inches cut where as my 8K 75 Flex (tapered) is marked something like 3 flex points for every 2 inches.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2011, 07:43 PM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulluminati View Post
Some BS happened with my order and they messed it up, basically I have to re-order my product, but they sent me a 10% off coupon. I recently got the chance to mess around with my friends new APX at a shinny game and its awesome, very awesome, I'm gonna get it instead. However when I was choosing a curve I noticed they have 2 backstrom curves (apparently the closest to the Sakic) one has a lie of 6 the other of 5, the sakic curve I'm accustom to is 5.5...so I dont know which to get, any input would be greatly appreciated. Oh and im 5'9" for reference.
the 6 lie in the bauers is the same as the 5.5 in the eastons, so 6 would be the the sakic clone. the 5 would put the puck much furthur out

Old
11-14-2011, 12:47 AM
Kulluminati

Quote:
the 6 lie in the bauers is the same as the 5.5 in the eastons, so 6 would be the the sakic clone. the 5 would put the puck much furthur out
thanks

Old
11-14-2011, 09:33 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

That's right but I didn't see a huge change in lie with the P92 5 lie.

Old
11-14-2011, 10:02 AM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
That's right but I didn't see a huge change in lie with the P92 5 lie.
it doesn't look like a huge change but it is when your playing because the puck is handled much furthur out from your body

Old
11-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I'm just talking about comparing them in store. I like the 6 lie because I use a short stick and pull the puck in tight to shoot and the 6 lie is perfect for that. Also I stickhandle with the heel of the blade so with the rocker it wouldn't be a big difference. For someone with a longer stick it probably makes a lot of sense though!