HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Emelin as a forward ?

Old
10-25-2011, 04:18 PM
Pedro McGuire*

vCash: 500
Were talking about PRACTICE MAN....PRACTICE.......were talking about practice!

Pedro McGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 04:53 PM
torero

Rumours say that he'll be on the same line than Price.

torero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 05:31 PM
Teufelsdreck

I would like the skeptics to explain why this is a bad move instead of writing irrelevant posts about JM's use of other players. Let's see how Emelin plays as a forward against the Flyers (if he actually does). Freed from defensive responsibilities, Emelin might make things rough for a certain francophone RW whose name keeps popping up in the same context as Fischer.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 06:40 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I would like the skeptics to explain why this is a bad move instead of writing irrelevant posts about JM's use of other players. Let's see how Emelin plays as a forward against the Flyers (if he actually does). Freed from defensive responsibilities, Emelin might make things rough for a certain francophone RW whose name keeps popping up in the same context as Fischer.
LOL You mean to say that Emelin, who has very little winger experience, the player who is being benched, for his lack of NA defensive experience, is expected to play a fantastic shut down role in a position he's never played before?

Im REALLY happy they brought up Pulashaj. Because Emelin should be playing defence, and focusing on that. No reason to throw him around the wringer just because he didnt fit like a glove right off the hop.

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 07:08 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Ok... Im not entirely a skeptic, I more or less thought that being the pressure cooker in Montreal... Perhaps it's wise to leave these NUTTY ideas behind locked doors (I would have banned media today before icing Emelin as a Winger). Martin can try whatever while he runs the team.

However it is a bad move, because Emelin is trying to master the NA game. He's a very solid defenceman from the Russian National team, so we know he can handle our game... It's just some fine tuning, and Martins is wasting experience to a guy who is in the midst of a rough adjustment, and telling him to play a position that I have never heard Emelin play professionally on the wing. We dont even know if the kid is comfortable playing out of position hes been here all of 2 months, and he's being tossed around like a rag doll.

If we could give him a consistent situation to learn our game in, then maybe we could rely on him to be a bigger member of our defence. Considering he IS our defenceman who actually doesnt have to push himself to play physical, I dont see why he cant be given opportunities on defence, because I believe this guy has potential to be a fantastic Defenceman in this league. Due to his contract, we dont have a whole lot of breathing room when it comes to his playing career.

Old
10-25-2011, 07:31 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Givenn the Palushaj callup, I`d guess that they just needed a body for the 4th line so it went to the 7th defenseman.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 07:34 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by torero View Post
Rumours say that he'll be on the same line than Price.
Price is the big centre we are waiting for since ages !

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 07:38 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post
LOL You mean to say that Emelin, who has very little winger experience, the player who is being benched, for his lack of NA defensive experience, is expected to play a fantastic shut down role in a position he's never played before?

Im REALLY happy they brought up Pulashaj. Because Emelin should be playing defence, and focusing on that. No reason to throw him around the wringer just because he didnt fit like a glove right off the hop.
So it was OK to make a RW of Weber? Playing LW isn't as demanding as playing D.

Quote:
Ok... Im not entirely a skeptic, I more or less thought that being the pressure cooker in Montreal... Perhaps it's wise to leave these NUTTY ideas behind locked doors (I would have banned media today before icing Emelin as a Winger). Martin can try whatever while he runs the team.

However it is a bad move, because Emelin is trying to master the NA game. He's a very solid defenceman from the Russian National team, so we know he can handle our game... It's just some fine tuning, and Martins is wasting experience to a guy who is in the midst of a rough adjustment, and telling him to play a position that I have never heard Emelin play professionally on the wing. We dont even know if the kid is comfortable playing out of position hes been here all of 2 months, and he's being tossed around like a rag doll.

If we could give him a consistent situation to learn our game in, then maybe we could rely on him to be a bigger member of our defence. Considering he IS our defenceman who actually doesnt have to push himself to play physical, I dont see why he cant be given opportunities on defence, because I believe this guy has potential to be a fantastic Defenceman in this league. Due to his contract, we dont have a whole lot of breathing room when it comes to his playing career.
If Emelin is regarded as the 7th Dman he'll sit against the Flyers and Bruins. Better to let him play at LW than not to play at all. I'd trust him ahead of Palushaj against those two teams. The Habs have been treated like pinatas so far.

Last edited by Mike8: 10-26-2011 at 05:07 AM.
Old
10-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
So it was OK to make a RW of Weber? Playing LW isn't as demanding as playing D.
Well, not entirely... IMO if Weber is more comfortable playing the point, I dont see why he has to play forward with the forwards we have. Even in case of injury.

However, I will also say that Weber isn't the natural defenceman that Emelin is, Weber is considered by many to be an offensive minded defenceman. When he first came in, he had some defensive holes in his game, but his skill was that he had that hammer of a shot, speed, and a mind to set up plays.
Emelin has a hammer of a shot, but is otherwise known to be a physical stay at home defenceman.

The question is... how many of those do we have?
None. (Other than him)

Gill's a shot blocker d.
Spacek is 2 way
Markov is QB/General
Gorges is positional d.
PK Subban... Physical for sure... but offensive minded
Weber Offensive minded
Diaz 2 way positional

Developing, we have Jared Tinordi being brought up to be this style IMO as well...
But we need more of Emelin's skills on the ice, than the guys who while I will say are GREAT players, however perhaps play this game a little too gentleman-like.

Some of those guys are keepers too, but sometimes, we gotta fight fire with fire.

IMO Gauthier has improved this team immensely in the summer. On paper, he did some very decent moves. Some parts still looked a little stiff, however I do think that his most recent move was the right one, but it's the way the team is approaching the game that isn't working.

I mentioned earlier that Pat Quinn's style would be more suitable. Why? Because while he may have been a Leaf coach, what made him so successful those years, was the way he let the guys just play their game, and he'd tell them what he didn't want to see. Run it, and gun it. we have the offensive guys all over the line up to do so... furthermore, it was more successful than Martins defensive mess crap that we are used to seeing.

Old
10-25-2011, 08:38 PM
SouthernHab

You know you have hit rock bottom when.............

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 08:48 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
You know you have hit rock bottom when.............
you arent smart enough to realize you only have 18 players before last re-callup (+goalies)

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 08:52 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Well, not entirely... IMO if Weber is more comfortable playing the point, I dont see why he has to play forward with the forwards we have. Even in case of injury.

However, I will also say that Weber isn't the natural defenceman that Emelin is, Weber is considered by many to be an offensive minded defenceman. When he first came in, he had some defensive holes in his game, but his skill was that he had that hammer of a shot, speed, and a mind to set up plays.
Emelin has a hammer of a shot, but is otherwise known to be a physical stay at home defenceman.

The question is... how many of those do we have?
None. (Other than him)

Gill's a shot blocker d.
Spacek is 2 way
Markov is QB/General
Gorges is positional d.
PK Subban... Physical for sure... but offensive minded
Weber Offensive minded
Diaz 2 way positional

Developing, we have Jared Tinordi being brought up to be this style IMO as well...
But we need more of Emelin's skills on the ice, than the guys who while I will say are GREAT players, however perhaps play this game a little too gentleman-like.

Some of those guys are keepers too, but sometimes, we gotta fight fire with fire.

IMO Gauthier has improved this team immensely in the summer. On paper, he did some very decent moves. Some parts still looked a little stiff, however I do think that his most recent move was the right one, but it's the way the team is approaching the game that isn't working.

I mentioned earlier that Pat Quinn's style would be more suitable. Why? Because while he may have been a Leaf coach, what made him so successful those years, was the way he let the guys just play their game, and he'd tell them what he didn't want to see. Run it, and gun it. we have the offensive guys all over the line up to do so... furthermore, it was more successful than Martins defensive mess crap that we are used to seeing.
I don't see Weber's speed. Maybe you're confusing him with Streit. I'm not sure he's as good a skater as Emelin.

Old
10-25-2011, 09:01 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Givenn the Palushaj callup, I`d guess that they just needed a body for the 4th line so it went to the 7th defenseman.
That's likely the case. Nice to see that someone on this board has the ability to add two and two together rather than just cuss and whine and call for the coach to be executed.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 09:08 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Tenorman View Post
Were talking about PRACTICE MAN....PRACTICE.......were talking about practice!
Which means that Martin has little intention of playing him against two of the physically toughest opponents in the league. Sometimes it's what Martin ISN'T doing that makes me shake my head and it looks like he ISN'T going to be playing Emelin against Philly.

And if he is going to be playing him, then Emelin should be practicing at that position.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:15 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Which means that Martin has little intention of playing him against two of the physically toughest opponents in the league. Sometimes it's what Martin ISN'T doing that makes me shake my head and it looks like he ISN'T going to be playing Emelin against Philly.

And if he is going to be playing him, then Emelin should be practicing at that position.
That's the more worrying part, that they consider Emelin the 7th defenseman. I'd put him in the lineup ahead of either of Weber and Diaz.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 10:57 PM
MasterD

Quote:
If Emelin is regarded as the 7th Dman he'll sit against the Flyers and Bruins. Better to let him play at LW than not to play at all. I'd trust him ahead of Palushaj against those two teams. The Habs have been treated like pinatas so far.
I'd rather have Emelin on D against the Bruins/Flyers, sit Weber or Diaz (who I love so far) before him. They are 2 of the most physical teams in the league, and love to take runs at Price. That's why we need a hard-hitting dman, ie. Emelin.

MasterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 11:09 PM
bib
#believe

It's funny that Jacques says that he's not losing any sleep over the team's streak, when tactics like this seem so desperate.

With that said, I guess this team has no plans of putting Emelin on waivers.

bib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2011, 11:40 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bib View Post
It's funny that Jacques says that he's not losing any sleep over the team's streak, when tactics like this seem so desperate.

With that said, I guess this team has no plans of putting Emelin on waivers.

That's a good one! Put Emelin on waivers? After all the trouble PG went to to get him to Canada? I think he'd sooner put JM on waivers.

Old
10-26-2011, 12:18 AM
Lafleurs Guy

Its funny this would come up because the other night I was thinking about PK as a forward. He's got the speed and puckhandling skills and could still manage the point on the PP. I think he'd be pretty good on the wing.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 12:20 AM
Dekar

I like how people continue to ignore/not read the thread before posting how they hate JM for this.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 12:21 AM
rushockey

Send a message via Skype™ to rushockey
I am afraid that Emelin may be mishandled by Montreal and he may end up in Russia before he can showcase his value to the team. That would be too bad because Emelin is a very talented defenseman. He is a very disciplined defenseman and plays well under pressure as well as he can show versatility if asked (allowed). There was a reason he was a part of two championships in Russia. I hope he is given a fair chance.

rushockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 12:50 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushockey View Post
I am afraid that Emelin may be mishandled by Montreal and he may end up in Russia before he can showcase his value to the team. That would be too bad because Emelin is a very talented defenseman. He is a very disciplined defenseman and plays well under pressure as well as he can show versatility if asked (allowed). There was a reason he was a part of two championships in Russia. I hope he is given a fair chance.
Many Habs fans feel the same way but unfortunately we have a chucklehead for a coach, and one of his most noteworthy achievements with our team has been to repel young talented players. I very much hope he goes away before Emelin does.

JLP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 06:55 AM
CGG

It is hilarious how people continued to ignore the obvious even after Palushaj was called up. They needed a warm body for practice and he wasn't there yet. With only 11 healthy forwards and 7 D, the obvious thing was to put one of the defensemen on the wing for practice. FOR PRACTICE. But no, let's take it as a sign that Martin is an idiot, then spend 4 pages going on and on about it, all the while ignoring the few intelligent people here that tried to tell everyone it was only FOR PRACTICE. Sheesh.

CGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 07:17 AM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Quote:
That's a good one! Put Emelin on waivers? After all the trouble PG went to to get him to Canada? I think he'd sooner put JM on waivers.
Don't do that. 1 of us is gonna claim him and do something he'll regret with him! I know I would...

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 07:18 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVeuF View Post
http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/328877.html

"Par ailleurs, Alexei Emelin, qui a été laissé de côté contre les Panthers, s’entraînait comme attaquant. Il évoluait à gauche de Petteri Nokelainen et Michael Blunden au sein du quatrième trio."

Jacques, Jacques, Jacques...
They shouldn't screw a rookie around like that. Let him develop as a defenseman, he'll be a good one

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote